Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

259,204 Views | 1146 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by fc2112
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well Army how's everybody doing with their various efforts? Me? I'm 38 days out from my 27th AA birthday. Funny thing is that as the years go by, it gets hard to get squirrelly about it.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
RickSawyer
AG
Incredible Jim! 850 days clean and sober today here. There is not a single aspect of my life that would improve with alcohol, I can say this with 100% honestly. Pretty nice to see life's opportunities without the alcoholic ball and chain dragging me around.
aggiejim70
AG
I know everybody is interested in the adventures of being me. Today is my 27th AA birthday. 27 years ago, I was walking around Houston somewhere between drunk and hungover. I ended the evening at the Bellaire AA Club and haven't had a drink since. Best of everything to all who are giving AA a try. I am a program knower. Nothing has changed in some 80 years. If you want to stop drinking for good and for all, and feel like you need some help, we KNOW we have an answer for you.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
champagnepapi
Been Sober for 13 days now and feel amazing
ptothemo
AG
One year today.

I thought about what words to write along with that, but none of them feel like they do it justice. I'm just unbelievably grateful for the opportunity I have now.
K Bo
AG
great job, congrats!
RickSawyer
AG
ptothemo said:

One year today.

I thought about what words to write along with that, but none of them feel like they do it justice. I'm just unbelievably grateful for the opportunity I have now.
Pretty crazy how much life adjusts from making positive changes isn't it!!! Great job! I am 910 days in and feel the same way you do.
GinaLinetti
AG
Keep it up guys and girls. Having lived with and loved an alcoholic i can only say how proud i am that yall have made the choice to live a quality life. Watching a loved one kill themselves a drink at a time is heartbreaking. Fluid buildup, jaundice, and hallucinations were more than i cpuld handle
I made the choice to walk away and still feel guilty some days. For anyone dealing with that, Al Anon was an incredible support for me. Also, there is a really great thread on s h a g g y all about sobriety. Lots of supportive people and stories on sobriety if you need more inspiration. <3
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Day 3 of a new journey. How is everyone doing? I have to get a handle on this.
RickSawyer
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Day 3 of a new journey. How is everyone doing? I have to get a handle on this.
You've been right here before. You know what you gotta do. Where is your support coming from in your real life? Have you tried AA? Have you disclosed your struggles with a family member or a loved one who can help you be accountable?

In the book, Finding Ultra, the author (Rich Roll) speaks about what is required to make a real, behavioral change in life: accountability, specificity and rigor. I agree with this statement and have proven it to be true for me over time. Find a way to be accountable to your journey to an alcohol free life, be specific about what your goal is and then give it some good old fashioned, blue color determination and you will be successful in transforming your life.

952 days here. Put another way - if on average I spent $10 per day on alcohol I have saved myself and my family $9,520 dollars over the last two years and seven months. $10 per day is $300 / month that can go do visiting a therapist, joining a gym, finding new healthy outlets for yourself etc...

Good luck bud!

-Rick
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Hey Rick,

Congrats on 952! That is awesome! See PM I sent you.

Thanks for your continued support!

Good luck to all who are on this tough journey!
ptothemo
AG
Na Zdravi - Fight the good fight, you've got this!

Day 395 and kickin' here

I've published it on this thread before, but I'm going to put my email address on here again if anyone reads this and wants to talk for any reason. I'm happy to share phone number, also, but don't really want to publish it on here. No judgment, no BS, none of that kind of stuff - just putting it out there in case someone desires to use it.

pcmoore21 at yahoo dot com
14Clubs
What a great thread - found this thread through another forum here! I read through all of it and great to hear everyone's story.

1910 Days, one day at a time and each one a gift. My homegroup is Preston in Dallas, but I bounce around to Lakewood, a Men's Big Book Study and CityWide.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Wow! Awesome! So good to see the success of others on here. By the way, got back on the road bike yesterday and did a good long ride. Felt great. I feel really good this morning. Sleep has been way better too!
LakeAg07
Just stumbled on this thread - Feeling good at day 44 here. AggieJim, do you still go to the Bellaire club? I have been there a few times but have since been bouncing around trying to find a home group
aggiejim70
AG
No, I haven't been to a meeting there in years. I live just outside San Antonio and my home group is Schertz Cibolo.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
OaklandAg06
AG
Any recommended resources or books for spouses of those pursuing 100% sobriety?

Thank you all for sharing your stories and encouragement.
14Clubs
Oakland,

Al-Anon is a great support group for this. It is a lot like AA. As far as books, Courage to Change is one of their texts.

Good Luck!
aggiejim70
AG
14Clubs said:

Oakland,

Al-Anon is a great support group for this. It is a lot like AA. As far as books, Courage to Change is one of their texts.

Good Luck!
Ditto

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I'm currently reading This Naked Mind. I am definitely relating to it.
aggiejim70
AG
Bump just to see how everybody is doing.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
RickSawyer
AG
aggiejim70 said:

I am doing well Jim, 980 days this morning. Going through some hard times but haven't even thought about having a drink.
ptothemo
AG
RickSawyer said:

aggiejim70 said:

I am doing well Jim, 980 days this morning. Going through some hard times but haven't even thought about having a drink.

Hang in there, man. Head up, eyes forward, and this too shall pass.

425 days this morning for me.
K Bo
AG
Day 2. I'm starting [again] with a target of 30 days and will continue from there, with the ultimate goal being the rest of my days.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Day 35 today for me. Not sure where I am going on this journey but I know I cannot go back to where I was.
RickSawyer
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Day 35 today for me. Not sure where I am going on this journey but I know I cannot go back to where I was.

You should be so proud man!!!
RickSawyer
AG
K Bo said:

Day 2. I'm starting [again] with a target of 30 days and will continue from there, with the ultimate goal being the rest of my days.

I won't have a drink with you today!
wessimo
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Username checks out. Good luck!
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Yeah wessimo, I am just doing it with Topo Chico now!

Thanks Rick! Hope all is well with you!
K Bo
AG
Day 12. Been really easy this time, absolutely zero cravings (so far). The sleep has been amazing and my depression/anxiety has been relatively muted. I have been taking CBD so that's likely helping some with the latter.
reb,
AG
Howdy fellas.

Working a Step 5 on Monday.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Doing Annie Grace's Naked Mind Intensive. Day 53 here. I've learned a lot. While I am not totally committed to quitting drinking, I have learned a LOT about myself and my past drinking issues. I got myself in a trap and couldn't get out. I am out of it now.
The anxiety has subsided and I have no urge to drink. I have 4 more weeks in the intensive course.
RickSawyer
AG
1,003 days here guys! Keep it up everyone!!!
K Bo
AG
I just finished listening to the book. A lot of really good, eye-opening information. I'll probably give it a listen again. Great job so far!
ProgN
Ok everyone, I'm here for help and don't know where to begin. My wife's father died in December and it was like she died with him. Her drinking has consumed her and is destroying my family. I googled signs of alcoholism and she displays 22 of 25 signs. Her mother, who abandoned her, was an alcoholic so she probably has the gene. She doesn't eat, vomits in the morning and sleeps in until 3-4 pm during the day. I honestly don't know where to go to start on a path to help. I asked her to go to rehab today but she was combative and said no. Any advice to put me on path would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I've offended anyone on Forum 16, I'm sorry, I'm an ass but any direction would help, TIA.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.