Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

261,013 Views | 1146 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by fc2112
ursusguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Happened to stumble onto this thread, and gotta admit I'm pretty damned choked up reading through the thread. It's pretty well known on TA, especially the OB, I effectively don't drink. Through most of the 80's (back when AA meetings were Smokey as hell), I was the kid sitting off in some back room of you name it AA group.

AA changed my dad's life dramatically. Before he stayed with the program, he royally fell off the wagon multiple times. As luck would have it, a series of events hit home. In March of 1980, my dad woke up one morning and literally couldn't get out of bed. He had a super severe form of arthritis kick in, and at the age of 29 was told he would never work again. I was 3, and they had found out about 10 days before they my mom was pregnant with my sister. At the time he was working his a-- off to get us out of the Pleasant Grove area of Dallas. As you can imagine, being told you would never work again at the age of 29 hit him hard....gloriously falls off the wagon. On August 10, 1980, we were hit by a drunk driver, and I was within two minutes of having my right eye surgically removed. It was ALWAYS a source of contention about whether my dad was drinking that day or not (a half empty bottle of vodka slid out from under his seat). Needless to say, he got the ultimatum to stop drinking AND smoking (he was a 2 pack a day smoker by then).

August 15, 1980, he stopped smoking cold turkey and met an AA sponsor that was blunt. Boiled down, my dad was Army Special Forces for Vietnam, and as a root had major survivors guilt. This guy was a Marine that had been through the same. With my sister on her way, he knew he couldn't support a family properly on a disability check. He got a paralegal certification from SMU.

When he tried to go back to work, folks love his resume, But....When he would come in and have to explain his handicapped issues (walked with canes and only had about 40% hearing in one ear, but really good at reading lips), they would turn him down due to insurance issues. One 3 occasions he was extended a job offer only to have it rescinded. Needless to say there were lots of AA meeting. The only people that gave him a shot was HUD (feds). They were also leery of his conditions, but legally didn't have much of a choice (ADA). He made it to 65 with the feds, and and used a grand total of 10 sick days over 30 plus years. And NEVER due to pain (he effectively had 2 broken legs, 2 neck fracture and 3 back fracture by the time he retired).

He got to where he could easily be around alcohol and not be phased by it. That took a number of years. The folks drinking were usually more uncomfortable about than he was. Even 20 years into the program someone would joke about a sip. "If I take a sip, you might as well hand me the bottle". He was distinctly against moderation. Lots of folks over the years would hit about 6 months, disappear slowly from AA, because they had learned to control themselves. More often than not, usually around a holiday, he would get a call between midnight and 2 AM and they had royally fallen off the wagon.

My dad retired in 2015. Doing pro bono legal work and AA became his two main things outside of the house. When he got sick last year, folks from AA came out of the wood works to come sit with him at the hospital, and bring food to my mom. Ironically, the last guy my dad sponsored was a young Indian doctor (either 6 weeks or 6 month) who was at the hospital constant helping my mom.

The only thing with his ashes is his 35 year chip.....yes, I am choked up bad now

I'll shut up now. Y'all have some amazing posts going here. I know AA doesn't work for everyone, but I have seen it work for a hell of a lot if people when they fully worked the 12 Steps.
RickSawyer
AG
Awesome testimony Ursus. Amazing.
aggiejim70
AG
Great story. It's a fact that if you're a long time AA, you're going to go to a lot of funerals. Sometimes to say goodbye to the old timer with 30, 40, 50 years, and unfortunately for person with 6 months, 3 years 10 years etc. that thought he or she was cured and had a close encounter with a telephone pole.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Rick. Thanks for checking. I have a plan in place. I will PM you soon. Ok today. I've done some heavy soul searching.
RickSawyer
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Rick. Thanks for checking. I have a plan in place. I will PM you soon. Ok today. I've done some heavy soul searching.

Good man. Be excited! The rest of your life awaits you!
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Going for a 30 day abstinence from all booze.

Day 1

RickSawyer
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Going for a 30 day abstinence from all booze.

Day 1

Na,

I don't know your story but happy to share mine. I am an oil trader. My job is literally to warehouse risk, i.e. manage others anxiety at some point. It has been a lucrative career but its also an industry rife with addiction, personality disorder, anxiety etc... Once my family started to grow, the stress of a trading role combined with the stress inherent to fatherhood slowly chipped away at me. I fell into a routine, when I made money - celebrate with drinks and when I lost money - mute the anxiety with a drink.

My wife, god bless her, called me on the bull *****.. several times... but one particular morning, September 10th, 2015 I woke up very hazy, unsure why my wife wasn't in the bed. I laid there full of self pity and embarrassment, picked up the phone, called a friend who had recently moved towards an alcohol free lifestyle and asked him, "what the hell should I do?" His response was pretty simple and logical - go have an honest conversation with your wife. So I did. I formulated a plan to take some time off the drink, find a therapist and see how I feel in 30 days.

And I did. At first, the thought of quitting the drink forever was too overbearing to approach. Instead I focused on those 30 days. Therapy and exercise helped immensely. I began to see my relationships improving with my wife, with my children, with my parents, with my friends and eventually with myself.

After the 30 days I was in such a better place I figured, lets go for 6 months. At the end of the 6 months I had lost 40 pounds, had rekindled my marriage, had a real relationship with my children and was learning to love myself. It was incredible. It was at that point that I realized I wanted to pursue a complete alcohol free lifestyle.

Admittedly - I use terms like alcohol free lifestyle instead of sobriety. I don't often even use the term alcoholic. Those terms (alcoholism and sobriety), especially early on carried too much negative connotations that they were very difficult to to say in my own head, let alone to say out loud, even in a safe place. Now I use them as signals of strength when appropriate.

My experience isn't traditional, I don't go to AA meetings. Instead, I have surrounded myself with community of like minded folk like the One Year No Beer crew, the Stop Drinking group on reddit etc... I have also confided in family and friends. And ultimately I have worked for almost two years in therapy to find myself and learn about who I am.

I know therapy can sounds daunting but a good friend (challenging me on my preconceived notions) asked me, "Would you think less of someone hiring a personal trainer to get into better physical shape? Isn't a therapist just a 'mental trainer' who you hire to get into better mental shape?" That struck a chord with me.

So here I am - 621 days with out a drink. I feel real feelings. I love them. I am more like the person I wanted to be when I was just a boy. I still have anxiety but I have healthy coping skills developed from therapy and training. Taking alcohol away was a HUGE contributor to this.

That's my story. Nothing incredible but the results for me have been nothing short of incredible - for me.

Good luck on your path man. You are a strong person to get to this point.

-Rick
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Thanks Rick. I may indeed go the therapy route but for now, I am going to abstain, lean on family and get back to exercising. And I do like Topo Chico. That will be my new drink of choice in the evenings. I've been living in a dark place and it is now time to live in the light.
Check your PM.

And great job! You are in control now!
strbrst777
I had no intention of engaging in conversation on this thread--just ran across it in passing. I've read the posts and sense that some on the thread have been or in real trouble:
Here's how it went or me: Army and company-"everybody (not really) does it" > It's OK- just keep control > Sensed "danger" > A spur of the moment "No" when it was said by a stranger, "You've been known to have a drink, what will you have?" > "No" became commitment > Definite "No!" > No way--never.

I see absolutely NO upside to drinking ...and I see plenty of downside and in some instances all the way to the bottom (ruined careers, broken marriages, poverty, broken health and even injury or death to the drinker or others. Early death for many is reality. Some can "hold their own: that to me is best case. What is the upside? ("Fun" is not a good answer.)
O.G.
ursusguy said:

Happened to stumble onto this thread, and gotta admit I'm pretty damned choked up reading through the thread. It's pretty well known on TA, especially the OB, I effectively don't drink. Through most of the 80's (back when AA meetings were Smokey as hell), I was the kid sitting off in some back room of you name it AA group.

AA changed my dad's life dramatically. Before he stayed with the program, he royally fell off the wagon multiple times. As luck would have it, a series of events hit home. In March of 1980, my dad woke up one morning and literally couldn't get out of bed. He had a super severe form of arthritis kick in, and at the age of 29 was told he would never work again. I was 3, and they had found out about 10 days before they my mom was pregnant with my sister. At the time he was working his a-- off to get us out of the Pleasant Grove area of Dallas. As you can imagine, being told you would never work again at the age of 29 hit him hard....gloriously falls off the wagon. On August 10, 1980, we were hit by a drunk driver, and I was within two minutes of having my right eye surgically removed. It was ALWAYS a source of contention about whether my dad was drinking that day or not (a half empty bottle of vodka slid out from under his seat). Needless to say, he got the ultimatum to stop drinking AND smoking (he was a 2 pack a day smoker by then).

August 15, 1980, he stopped smoking cold turkey and met an AA sponsor that was blunt. Boiled down, my dad was Army Special Forces for Vietnam, and as a root had major survivors guilt. This guy was a Marine that had been through the same. With my sister on her way, he knew he couldn't support a family properly on a disability check. He got a paralegal certification from SMU.

When he tried to go back to work, folks love his resume, But....When he would come in and have to explain his handicapped issues (walked with canes and only had about 40% hearing in one ear, but really good at reading lips), they would turn him down due to insurance issues. One 3 occasions he was extended a job offer only to have it rescinded. Needless to say there were lots of AA meeting. The only people that gave him a shot was HUD (feds). They were also leery of his conditions, but legally didn't have much of a choice (ADA). He made it to 65 with the feds, and and used a grand total of 10 sick days over 30 plus years. And NEVER due to pain (he effectively had 2 broken legs, 2 neck fracture and 3 back fracture by the time he retired).

He got to where he could easily be around alcohol and not be phased by it. That took a number of years. The folks drinking were usually more uncomfortable about than he was. Even 20 years into the program someone would joke about a sip. "If I take a sip, you might as well hand me the bottle". He was distinctly against moderation. Lots of folks over the years would hit about 6 months, disappear slowly from AA, because they had learned to control themselves. More often than not, usually around a holiday, he would get a call between midnight and 2 AM and they had royally fallen off the wagon.

My dad retired in 2015. Doing pro bono legal work and AA became his two main things outside of the house. When he got sick last year, folks from AA came out of the wood works to come sit with him at the hospital, and bring food to my mom. Ironically, the last guy my dad sponsored was a young Indian doctor (either 6 weeks or 6 month) who was at the hospital constant helping my mom.

The only thing with his ashes is his 35 year chip.....yes, I am choked up bad now

I'll shut up now. Y'all have some amazing posts going here. I know AA doesn't work for everyone, but I have seen it work for a hell of a lot if people when they fully worked the 12 Steps.

Thank you for sharing Ursus.
K Bo
AG
This is the most inspiring thread on TexAgs.
aggiejim70
AG

And that Army, is the only way it's going to work. I figure I'm somewhere way north of 4,000 meetings, and in virtually every one of them somebody reads, "half measures availed us nothing". Unfortunately, one does not get X percentage of the benefits of the program by doing X percentage of the work. For those of you new to AA, I beg of you, with all the earnestness at my command, not to confuse a spiritual awakening with pulling your head out of your ass.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
RickSawyer
AG
aggiejim70 said:

For those of you new to AA, I beg of you, with all the earnestness at my command, not to confuse a spiritual awakening with pulling your head out of your ass.
Ha, this is very funny but maybe a bit misguided.

For some people, sobriety allows them to see the spiritual awakening that has been at their door step the whole time but the fog of alcohol abuse prevented them to see it... Also, I don't think it's healthy to discount someone else's spirituality or awakening. It appeara like you're casting some judgement on someone else's path don't you think?
aggiejim70
AG
RickSawyer said:

aggiejim70 said:

For those of you new to AA, I beg of you, with all the earnestness at my command, not to confuse a spiritual awakening with pulling your head out of your ass.

For some people, sobriety allows them to see the spiritual awakening that has been at their door step the whole time but the fog of alcohol abuse prevented them to see it... Also, I don't think it's healthy to discount someone else's spirituality or awakening. It appeara like you're casting some judgement on someone else's path don't you think?
Absolutely not. I'm sharing my experience strength and hope, just as the AA program suggests that I do. Too often people come into the program get a few weeks months, even years and never get past the "pink cloud" phase, or, more to the point, past the bottom page 63 and end up back on the bottle. It is impossible to have a spiritual awakening as THE result of the 12 steps without taking ALL 12 steps. Can one find spirituality elsewhere?
Of course. In organized religion, in nature, or one on one with God etc.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
MROD92
We're in the midst of something ourselves, Jim has helped us a lot outside TexAgs, I may post progress as it reveals itself should it help people with their own experiences. Good luck to everyone with their respective journeys
RickSawyer
AG
aggiejim70 said:

RickSawyer said:

aggiejim70 said:

Absolutely not. I'm sharing my experience strength and hope, just as the AA program suggests that I do. Too often people come into the program get a few weeks months, even years and never get past the "pink cloud" phase, or, more to the point, past the bottom page 63 and end up back on the bottle. It is impossible to have a spiritual awakening as THE result of the 12 steps without taking ALL 12 steps. Can one find spirituality elsewhere?
Of course. In organized religion, in nature, or one on one with God etc.

Agree with all your points.
deadhead aggie
AG
So great to read all of these success stories. My hat off to those that are just starting their journey towards freedom from the bottle. It's quite liberating to be able to wake up each morning and not be dependent on booze to get you through the day, week, month, etc..

A few replies up, somebody asked about anxiety after drinking and if it was an issue for others. It was for me. I was caught in a vicious cycle......drink to escape anxiety & depression, experience temporary relief during the buzz, wake up with the anxiety & depression, wash rinse repeat. My mind was so clouded and confused by the drinking and its after effects, that I thought I was suffering from full-blown depression. I went on meds in 1993 and have been on them continually ever since......until March 1st of this year. I took the last of my meds on February 28th and I've never felt better in my entire life. It was always the booze, plain and simple. I just wouldn't accept the reality of the situation.

I feel guilty & hypocritical for starting this thread, but not sticking to the AA program. I guess what's important is that AA helped to pave a new path for me.....a path that does't require alcohol to follow. I hope that AA has as much of a profound impact on your life as it has had on mine.

Good luck to all !!!
Na Zdraví 87
AG
1 week down!
RickSawyer
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

1 week down!

Good man! How you feeling?
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Outstanding. Sleeping great. Played golf yesterday with my buddies. They all drank beer. I drank topo Chico. No problem. Spending way more time with my wife in the evenings. And I'm losing weight!!!! I can get used to this. In fact, I am. Thanks Rick!!!!
RickSawyer
AG
I should own stock in Topo Chico and La Croix for how much I drink. Keep it up man!
AZAG08
AG
RickSawyer said:

I should own stock in Topo Chico and La Croix for how much I drink. Keep it up man!
+1
Aust Ag
AG
Here we go, Day 2. Tired of not feeling right lately. This is going to be hard. Wonder if I'm going to get headaches?
RickSawyer
AG
Aust Ag said:

Here we go, Day 2. Tired of not feeling right lately. This is going to be hard. Wonder if I'm going to get headaches?
It is hard, but my god is it worth it! Great job!!!
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Day 17 for me. It definitely gets easier. I still deal with anxiety from time to time. Mostly in the evenings. Guess not having a drink or two or three every evening then stopping cold turkey will cause that.
No headaches though. No cravings. I sleep way better. And I've lost a crazy amount of weight. I am still lacking the get up and go though. Hope that comes back soon.
I'm getting back on my road bike today after a year layoff. I'm actually looking forward to it. I plan to ride several times a week again.
RickSawyer
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Day 17 for me. It definitely gets easier. I still deal with anxiety from time to time. Mostly in the evenings. Guess not having a drink or two or three every evening then stopping cold turkey will cause that.
No headaches though. No cravings. I sleep way better. And I've lost a crazy amount of weight. I am still lacking the get up and go though. Hope that comes back soon.
I'm getting back on my road bike today after a year layoff. I'm actually looking forward to it. I plan to ride several times a week again.
Dude, how awesome!!! Congrats. That is incredible.
K Bo
AG
It's been a turbulent couple of months.

Day 1.

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Good for you! Stay strong.

Day 22 for me! I've really learned a lot about myself in regards to what I truly need and what I thought I had to have.
RickSawyer
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Good for you! Stay strong.

Day 22 for me! I've really learned a lot about myself in regards to what I truly need and what I thought I had to have.
Man, I love to hear that. Great job!
aggiejim70
AG
Kudos to everyone in their efforts. I want to remind you that what you're doing has nothing to do with recovery though the steps of AA. You're doing it on your own and that's like masturbation. It feels good for a while, but sooner or later you get the idea it would be more fun to have someone with which share your excitement.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
RickSawyer
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Kudos to everyone in their efforts. I want to remind you that what you're doing has nothing to do with recovery though the steps of AA. You're doing it on your own and that's like masturbation. It feels good for a while, but sooner or later you get the idea it would be more fun to have someone with which share your excitement.

Jim,

I think I am misunderstanding you. Are you telling folks that turning towards alcohol free lifestyle has nothing to do with recovery if it's not through AA? I understand and appreciate that your path to sobriety was through AA (and same for MANY others) and that is great, but it is certainly not the only path.

I do believe strong community is absolutely necessary for continued success in sobriety but I don't believe that there is only a single 'right' path. Accountability and support can be found many different ways.

Keep it up.

-Rick
aggiejim70
AG
People abstain from drinking alcohol for any one of a number of reasons, personal, family situations, religious beliefs, life experiences etc. This started out as an AA thread and has digressed, as most of them do, into testimony on how to do it some other way, and that's fine

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Made my 30 days. Day 31 today. Feeling great! So glad I found this topic. It gave me the motivation to go on this journey and to better myself. And thanks again Rick for your words of encouragement!!!!
RickSawyer
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Made my 30 days. Day 31 today. Feeling great! So glad I found this topic. It gave me the motivation to go on this journey and to better myself. And thanks again Rick for your words of encouragement!!!!
That is great man! 30 days is a serious accomplishment an absolutely something to be proud about. Keep up the great work. Would be interested to hear your testimony when you find the time and strength to share!

-Rick
wbt5845
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Congratulations. Great work.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.