Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

260,992 Views | 1146 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by fc2112
Post removed:
by user
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
queso1 said:

Interesting thread. I had a question. I hear people say that alcohol killed someone they know. What do they mean? Did that person die of alcohol poisoning, choke on their vomit, chronic liver problems or suicide?
Liver failure, kidney failure, and jaundice from what I witnessed. It's an extremely ugly death and not how you want anyone to see you/remember you.
aggiejim70
AG
queso1 said:

Interesting thread. I had a question. I hear people say that alcohol killed someone they know. What do they mean? Did that person die of alcohol poisoning, choke on their vomit, chronic liver problems or suicide?
I'm a year removed from my 50th high school class reunion. Out of a class of just over 400, we've lost about 80.
One killed in Viet-Nam, 10 or so horrific cancer deaths, booze, and/or drugs were involved in virtually all the rest of the deaths. Were these people alcoholics? I have no idea, but the fact remains, they're just as dead. Also, you can take years to drink yourself to death
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Post removed:
by user
ptothemo
AG
queso1 said:

Liver failure is the manifestation that most people think of, but all of the bodily organs are severely and negatively impacted when you are talking about the kind of alcoholism that kills someone. Gallbladder, heart, kidney, brain, you name it. In my personal experience, the body just eventually shuts down and gives up. I am not a doctor and that is not a scientific explanation, but it is the best way to sum it up. It is an ugly, nasty, heartbreaking thing to witness.

I have read every post in this thread at least two times now, but I have refrained from posting up to now for a number of reasons. I guess being so close to the anniversary of the above referenced experience compelled me this morning.

218 days sober today.

Quinn
AG
That's true ptothemo, it is pretty much the body quiting bc it has nothing left to give and has been ravaged. Terrible to see and experience.

Congrats on 218 days - that's great!
AtlAg75
AG
Have found this thread inspirational as well. On September 13th I read through the entire thread for the first time and while I am a solid 2 beer a day drinker, that's about it, I decided to challenge myself to 30 days of no drinking. Wanted to see if I had the discipline to do this during the football season and to see if I felt a difference.

Its been 43 days and strangely I don't miss drinking. Also read the book "This Naked Mind" that explained what is happening inside your body when you drink and none of it was good.

Can't say I have stopped drinking for good but definitely don't miss it and have no desire to start again. Maybe I'll wait for our next National Championship!
P.U.T.U
AG
AtlAg75 said:

Can't say I have stopped drinking for good but definitely don't miss it and have no desire to start again. Maybe I'll wait for our next National Championship!

So you quit drinking for good, got it
AtlAg75
AG
Didn't say which sport. Golf team is looking good.
reb,
AG
ptothemo said:

queso1 said:

Liver failure is the manifestation that most people think of, but all of the bodily organs are severely and negatively impacted when you are talking about the kind of alcoholism that kills someone. Gallbladder, heart, kidney, brain, you name it. In my personal experience, the body just eventually shuts down and gives up. I am not a doctor and that is not a scientific explanation, but it is the best way to sum it up. It is an ugly, nasty, heartbreaking thing to witness.

I have read every post in this thread at least two times now, but I have refrained from posting up to now for a number of reasons. I guess being so close to the anniversary of the above referenced experience compelled me this morning.

218 days sober today.

It's not just damage to the physical body, it ravages the soul. Alcohol has endless ways to kill your ass dead. Watch this short but brilliant clip from the West Wing S01E13, "Leo Explains Drug & Alcohol Addiction". I've transcribed part of it to demonstrate what I mean, note the bolded:

Quote:

Leo: When you read in my personnel file that I've been treated for alcohol and drug abuse, what went through your mind? Karen its okay, you can say it. The worst thing I'm empowered to do is fire you, and I've already done that.

Karen: My father drank a lot.

Leo: "So did mine. In fact he died from it. He came home late one night, my mother was yelling at him, not sure about what, but I heard the yelling downstairs from my bedroom. She came upstairs and he went out to the garage and shot himself in the head."

This scene is just...perfect. Whoever wrote this script understood us and how our insanity works.

Gabster43213
I have developed a regular nightly drinking habit of 3-4 drinks per night over the past four years. In my mid 50's I realize that I need to make a significant life change if I want to live to enjoy retirement with my family.

What are people's thoughts about the best ways to approach decreasing consumption of alcohol? Is it, for example, to try to change to every other night for a month then two times a week and so on OR is it better to drink fewer drinks a night first then every other night and so on? I am trying to drink water between drinks but, again, realize that I decrease consumption quickly.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.
RickSawyer
AG
I wish I could help you more but moderation was never my strong suit, a primary reason why I am 800 days sober instead of drinking a drink on occasion.

With that said, I have had friends who saw some success in moderating by taking brief 30-90 day) breaks from alcohol and recording the benefits. You should give it a shot. If that sounds too daunting then maybe you should think long and hard about your relationship with alcohol and what drives the nightly consumption.
AtlAg75
AG
Gabster - I'm in my 60's and was in a similar situation. 2 - 3 beers a night and maybe a glass of wine and slowing down had been in the back of my head for a while. On September 13th I came across this thread and read the entire thing. I wasn't looking to make a change, didn't feel I needed to, but in reading all the messages I was inspired to challenge myself to 30 days of no alcohol. Wanted to see if I had the discipline to do it during football season. Stopped then and there. That wasn't even a thought when I woke up that morning.

Surprisingly, once I made a decision and set a timeline, it was much easier than I thought it would be. And then, I came across a book called This Naked Mind by Annie Grace. In this book she approaches stopping drinking from a different perspective - by explaining the biology behind what is happening in your body when you do drink. Once I understood then it was even easier to not have a drink.

During those 30 days I decided to keep going forever. I haven't committed to never drinking again, may have a beer with one of my son's from time to time, but my drinking days are over. Like you, I want to be around for a long time and more importantly, I want to be physically and mentally able to enjoy that time. I'm doing other things to ensure my long term heath (I highly recommend the book Younger Next Year) but not drinking is at the top of the list.

Best wishes and good luck!
RickSawyer
AG
AtlAg75 said:

During those 30 days I decided to keep going forever. I haven't committed to never drinking again, may have a beer with one of my son's from time to time, but my drinking days are over. Like you, I want to be around for a long time and more importantly, I want to be physically and mentally able to enjoy that time. I'm doing other things to ensure my long term heath (I highly recommend the book Younger Next Year) but not drinking is at the top of the list.

Best wishes and good luck!

That's an awesome testimony! And, agree, The Naked Mind is a wonderful book. I want to be physically and mentally able to enjoy that time. Ain't that the truth!!!
Gabster43213
My current plan is to be weaned off by the end of this year making advances a couple of weeks at a time over the next six weeks.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I took off 32 days back in May/June. I plan to take a break from alcohol again after this weekend. I need another one.
wbt5845
AG
Gabster43213 said:

My current plan is to be weaned off by the end of this year making advances a couple of weeks at a time over the next six weeks.
My only suggestion is just to find what works for you. Everyone has to find their own motivation.

A few years ago, I got more physically active and found the biggest drawback to having a good run or work out was if I'd drunk the night before. So I found there were longer and longer stretches of not drinking. I then realized whole months had passed between drinks and I felt so much better. I lost a lot of weight and peopel I hadn't seen in a while didn't recognize me.

Good luck. I think we're basically creatures of habit and I hope you find a habit that works for you.
Diet Cokehead
AG
wbt5845 said:

Gabster43213 said:

I got more physically active and found the biggest drawback to having a good run or work out was if I'd drunk the night before. So I found there were longer and longer stretches of not drinking. I then realized whole months had passed between drinks and I felt so much better. I lost a lot of weight and peopel I hadn't seen in a while didn't recognize me.

This is exactly what happened to me.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Bump to check in and see how everyone is doing? I just read the whole thread again. Some inspiring testimonies!
RickSawyer
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Bump to check in and see how everyone is doing? I just read the whole thread again. Some inspiring testimonies!
840 days and counting! Just celebrated my 3rd christmas sober and about to celebrate my 3rd new years eve sober and can honestly say that, emotionally, I am more content and level than I ever was in my pre-sobriety adult life.

ptothemo
AG
284 days and counting. Running a half marathon on New Year's Day to get 2018 started off right. Running and recovery have been very closely tied for me, so there is lots of parallelism in that next race. Clear eyes and full heart.
RickSawyer
AG
ptothemo said:

284 days and counting. Running a half marathon on New Year's Day to get 2018 started off right. Running and recovery have been very closely tied for me, so there is lots of parallelism in that next race. Clear eyes and full heart.
Totally agree. I often times have to remind myself that I have an addictive personality and make sure I am prioritizing my life accordingly to not placing my running above my core priorities.

I see a lot of recovering addicts in long distance running. There is actually a subreddit dedicated towards running recovering addicts called "Stop Drinking Running" that is a nice place to visit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SDrunners/
c-jags
I try and reread this thread every time it comes to the top just as a reminder. I drink somewhat regularly, but fortunately didn't start drinking till my late 20s. Most of my bad decision making was behind me by then.

As frustrating as my baptist upbringing was in a lot of regards I'm glad that I've been spared a lot of pain from that. I don't mean that in a gloating way but as sympathetic to those that struggle with this. I pray people wanting to break free from this struggle can start the year off right.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
" I pray people wanting to break free from this struggle can start the year off right."

This is my plan. 2017 was not a great year for me. I want to put it behind me and have a better year in 2018. That being said, I just ordered the The Big Book and This Naked Mind as suggested. They will arrive next Tuesday.
aggiejim70
AG
If I don't die and don't drink for the next 60 days, I'll celebrate 27 years sober in AA. For the previous 27 years I had a series of misadventures with booze trying to drink like normies . I know the program works. All the best to you.

As you read the Big Book, please keep in mind that it's not a novel, it's a text book.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Thanks Jim. I am looking forward to starting a new journey and sticking to it. Change has to be made.
wbt5845
AG
Kind of scared to bump this, but.....

Went to NYE party and drank ginger ale. No one said a word as it looked like a mixed drink.

Everyone got REALLY drunk and looked stupid to my sober self. It is quite the hoot being the only sober person at a party. Plus I cleaned up in poker with a clear mind.

Hope y'alls NYE went well.
RickSawyer
AG
wbt5845 said:

Kind of scared to bump this, but.....

Went to NYE party and drank ginger ale. No one said a word as it looked like a mixed drink.

Everyone got REALLY drunk and looked stupid to my sober self. It is quite the hoot being the only sober person at a party. Plus I cleaned up in poker with a clear mind.

Hope y'alls NYE went well.
Keep it bumped! I love this thread. Celebrated my third new years eve sober and clear with my wife, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves on a quiet night at the house ringing in the new year!
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Yes, let's keep it going. I love the support you guys offer.

I just got in "This Naked Mind" and signed up for the "Alcohol Experience" on her website. Looks like a lot of great support on that site too.

I'll start reading it tonight.
TheDude06
I've seen this thread and felt I needed to post finally. After a lot of reflection and arguing with my wife I've come to the realization that I have been using alcohol to mask and subdue a lot of issues. I'm going dry as of this morning. I poured out all of my Scotch and will be ordering several books along with scheduling therapy. Thank you all for sharing your stories and how you are doing. I hope I never take another sip but will take it day to day.
AtlAg75
AG
Way to go Dude! Great first step. What surprised me the most (pleasantly) is that I don't miss drinking and alcohol. Will ride that wave as long as I can.
RickSawyer
AG
TheDude06 said:

I've seen this thread and felt I needed to post finally. After a lot of reflection and arguing with my wife I've come to the realization that I have been using alcohol to mask and subdue a lot of issues. I'm going dry as of this morning. I poured out all of my Scotch and will be ordering several books along with scheduling therapy. Thank you all for sharing your stories and how you are doing. I hope I never take another sip but will take it day to day.
Big steps dude! Props. I can still remember the day I did the same. I was absolutely using alcohol as a crutch. Therapy helped me develop healthy coping mechanisms for anxiety (as well as helping me understand myself, my emotions etc...). Good luck.

If you ever need someone to chat with you are more than welcome to reach out to me, any time.

-Rick
ptothemo
AG
Echoing what Rick said here. Feel free to email me at pcmoore21 at yahoo dot com if you ever want to talk or anything at all. I don't want to publish my phone number out here, but I am happy to share that via email.

I'm rather hard headed (imagine that - a hard headed alcoholic - shocker), so I didn't really use the people and resources available to me early in sobriety and there were some really dark and scary moments because of it. Whomever or whatever it is, I would just encourage you to take advantage of the people and resources available to you.

Also, and most importantly, congratulations on the decision you made this morning. For real. It's not an easy decision, but I hope that it pays you back five times over.
RickSawyer
AG
Piggybacking PTO - my email is fredericksawyer at gmail
TheDude06
Thanks Atl, Rick, and PTO. It has been long overdue decision. I'll admit I've been anxious and worried about beating this all morning. PTO and Rick, I've saved your email addresses and will definitely shoot you an email. I appreciate it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.