Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

261,128 Views | 1146 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by fc2112
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ragoo said:

Tanya 93 said:

2 years comes up in 3 weeks

I am very proud of this
congrats Tanya
thank you

aggiejim70
AG
Just a reminder, please join us at 5p
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
aggiejim70
AG
Please join us today at 6pm. By the way, what's become of Rick and KBo
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
K Bo
AG
I know Rick personally and know he is doing very well and continuing to be strong on his journey! He's very busy and involved with his kids' atheltic endeavors and likely not on here as often as he used to be. I'm sure he'll chime in at some point.

As for me, I read (and think about) this thread regularly. I have faith that eventually I will settle where I need to be. Through therapy and bouts of sobriety I *think I* have put my problematic drinking in the past. My consumption is a shell of what it was years ago. At this point I teeter for health reasons. I am currently doing "dry January" and intend to take it further than that, but to what end, I don't know. I have some health & fitness goals in mind and alcohol precludes me from achieving those. I do know that I am clear-headed, clean-blooded, seeping better, waking up feeling rested and more invigorated. Rambling aside, I will not drink with you all today.
RickSawyer
AG
1,945 days sober as of last night and god willing 1,946 days by the time I lay my head down tonight! I'll look to jump on with you guys on the zoom call here soon.

KBo nailed it on my schedule. No excuses but I am heavily involved in youth coaching and leadership in my community which ties up almost all my time not at work. The holidays have been a bit hectic with my wife catching the virus, the kids doing online school while I was working from home etc... Hopefully as things calm down and travel baseball doesnt start back up in style for a few months (still coaching got talked into coaching youth basketball this winter so no rest for the weary) my schedule will align with everyone else's and I can join you guys!

Thanks for thinking of us Jim!

-Rick
aggiejim70
AG
Great to hear you're both doing well. I welcome you you and any other AA's to join us today. If nothing else, it would be great to put a face with the name.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
aggiejim70
AG
We're gonna do it again at 6pm. Please join us.

Scroll back a few posts for the link,

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
aggiejim70
AG

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Tanya 93
I have 2 years now
ptothemo
AG
Congrats and great work!
aggiejim70
AG
One month to go, If i don't drink and don't die, I'll pick up a 30 year chip 2/26/21.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
RickSawyer
AG
aggiejim70 said:

One month to go, If i don't drink and don't die, I'll pick up a 30 year chip 2/26/21.
Wow! What an accomplishment that would be Jim! Brick by brick adds up quick!
aggiejim70
AG

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
aggiejim70
AG
We're gonna do it again at 5pm. Please join us.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
aggiejim70
AG
Bump

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
aggiejim70
AG

Being a good alcoholic, I realize I'm not much, but I'm all I think about. If I don't drink and don't die for another 15 days, I'll have 30 years sober in AA 2.26.21.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Ag_SGT
AG
I am thinking about joining you all because I had some questions about getting sober. Long story short, I've been drinking too much since I got back from Afghanistan fifteen years ago but after a health scare a couple of years back I really started to drink too much. A friend invited me to Church and I found a good Veterans support group soon after and life started to get back in focus and I was doing better but not great. This last year though, has found me drinking too much again to deal with anxiety and to sleep. When I don't have anything to drink I don't sleep, but I know that is part of the recovery process of going sober. What concerns me are the other side effects of going sober, and I'm wondering if I should consult a doctor to help guide me thru giving up drinking?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
aggiejim70
AG
We'll be here Thursday at 6p. As stated, scroll back for the link. If I don't show, it's because of the rolling black outs in the San Antonio area. As stated in the Big Book of AA. "Lack of power, that is our dilemma."

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
ptothemo
AG
I am not 100% certain that we are going to be able to meet tomorrow. I'm the normal host of the meeting and have been without power for 30 hours or so now. I'm going to do my best to make sure the meeting stays on, but I'm also trying to plan for the worst too.

Anyway, please shoot me an email if you would like. I'd much rather us meet in person (zoom), but I want to be available as best as I can in lieu of that given the current circumstances.

pcmoore21 at yahoo dot com
ptothemo
AG
Update for today is that I have power back and feel good that there won't be any issues with me being online to host the Zoom. Famous last words in these times, I know.

I also want to take a moment to reset and make sure that we have the meeting information reposted since it has been a while and is now a page or two back.

The meetings are Thursday at 6:00pm and Sunday at 5:00pm on a standing basis. If there is ever a time where we aren't meeting for some reason, then that will be posted out here in advance.

The link to the Zoom meeting is: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4922070133?pwd=QmRNQmI2NndFc0h4TmJaZXF3d3lqQT09

The passcode for the Zoom meeting, if needed, is: f 2 T S V k (remove all the spaces that I am putting in intentionally)
aggiejim70
AG
We missed you last week, come join us today at 6pm

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Ag_SGT
AG
I appreciate it, somebody actually reached out and answered the questions I had
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
aggiejim70
AG
Army, today is 2 26 21. 30 years sober in AA,

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
RickSawyer
AG
Wow what an accomplishment Jim! That is incredible!
wbt5845
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Army, today id 2 26 21. 30 years sober in AA,
At 12:01 AM even.

Congrats. What an accomplishment of making the right choice for yourself each day for 30 years. 10,958 days.
aglaw01
AG
Are there any in person AA meetings in East Dallas of which anyone is aware? I think this might be better for me right now. It is time for me to slay the monster that is alcoholism. I've been drinking too much lately, particularly since the COVID lockdown. I know I have a problem, and to me that's the first step - admitting it. Now I need to quit the habit and do better things with my life.

I can't really go to rehab right now because of work demands, but probably can in the summer when work typically ebbs a bit while clients are on vacation. I've resorted to locking myself in the house and giving my wife the keys so I can't go anywhere. No booze in the house either. Until I can attend inpatient rehab, I need people to talk with who have had the same problems I'm having. But zoom meetings won't work well for me. I hate zoom.

I'm ready to quit, but terrified of what life is like without booze. EVERYONE I know drinks. It goes with the legal profession. It goes with the industry with which I work. It goes with pretty much everything I do.

I wish I could be like others I know and enjoy a drink here and there, but I can't. It is what it is. If I start, I can't stop until I black out. I can only imagine how productive I'd be if sober.
RickSawyer
AG
aglaw01 said:

I'm ready to quit, but terrified of what life is like without booze. EVERYONE I know drinks. It goes with the legal profession. It goes with the industry with which I work. It goes with pretty much everything I do.

I wish I could be like others I know and enjoy a drink here and there, but I can't. It is what it is. If I start, I can't stop until I black out. I can only imagine how productive I'd be if sober.

A lot if this rings true. As for hating zoom I understand but maybe you can hate the idea of continuing drinking more than you hate zoom and try it out. It might be uncomfortable but that is part of change.

I work in the oil trading community. It is a mess. If you want you can go drink every day lunch to happy hour to dinner to after hours... I am 2005 days sober and still trade oil, still have all my industry buds, still go to lunches or dinners from time to time. It took time and hard work to get here. I am just like you, none is better than one because one is not enough, six is not enough, twelve is not enough.... i know you get it.

Congrats on being aware enough of your issue. I hope someone here can point you in the right direction for in person meetings. Meanwhile I would challenge you on trying out the zoom.

-Rick
aggiejim70
AG
The short answer to your question is yes. Google AA East Dallas, and you'll get info on dozens if not100's of meetings. Current situation being what it is, I'd find the inter-group number and call and find out the group you're interested in is meeting in person. I bet you can also find any number of "lawyer" groups in the greater Metroplex area.

If you need to go to rehab and "dry out" please do so. if you have medical problems as the result of your drinking, these need to be addressed my the medical community..

If you're class of '01, give or take a few months, you're the same age I was when I came into AA 30 years ago.
I've been sober since day one. I had all the same questions and concerns you posed. I'm not an attorney, I spent most of my working life in advertising sales. That industry has it under control, they only drink on days that end in Y.

Now, if you want to quit drinking for good and all, and feel; like you need some help, we (AA) KNOW we have
an answer for you. This hasn't changed in over 80 years.

Please join us tomorrow at 5 for our Aggie AA Zoom meeting. Scroll back up for the link. This is a hybrid between an AA meeting and an Aggie bull session. Good chance for you to ask questions.

Hope to see you there and on the road of happy destiny, All the best to you.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Hhilton82
AG
Congrats on Step one. It is a VERY difficult thing to do. Some don't ever make it that far.
I too felt a lot of fear about the "stigma" of being sober. Your true friends support you. They may not understand but that's okay.
My experience was that many of my friends didn't really even notice. (Another benefit of a red solo cup).
Most folks are self absorbed and don't really care if aren't drinking.
What I found is a lot of friends actually are inquisitive and want to learn more. My sense is they too secretly are afraid to admit they may be one of us and wish they had the guts to quit as well.
For me my most awkward time is when the room is getting "lit up". Being sober, I am able to watch it happen in slow motion. It allows one to see first hand the effects booze has on an otherwise perfectly responsible person.
I don't miss it at all but it can be hard to watch.
Good luck my friend.
aggiejim70
AG
Listen to this learned man, he knows of what he speaks.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Bottlerocket
AG
I suggest reading This Naked Mind by Annie grace. It is very highly reviewed and goes into great detail about alcohol abuse/addiction, physiological problems of consuming alcohol, the fact that it being socially acceptable makes quitting or admitting to a problem difficult, how to quit, why it is difficult for many people to moderate or just "drink like a normal person", and it touches on being nervous about quitting (like you said, you could probably think of many future evens you could never imagine doing without your favorite drink). I highly recommend it

The subreddit stopdrinking is also very respectful and helpful. The stories of people having sever jaundice, liver damage and pancreatitis is enough to scare most heavy drinkers

I'm in Dallas and an attorney as well. Pm if you ever want to chat
aggiejim70
AG

Scroll back a few posts for the link

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
HouAg05
This Sucks. Been trying to control my drinking but obviously suck at it. Wife's friend brings a ton of beer last night and they leave me with the kids to go have dinner so I drink it. Now wife is pissed. It is obviously my fault but what do you tell your spouse to help put you in better situations to succeed being sober?
Bottlerocket
AG
Come right out and say, " I may have a bad relationship with alcohol. Work with me on it." Suggest she not buy your drink of choice anymore. I loved IPAs, my wife does not. She likes wine, I hate wine. I asked her to not buy me IPAs anymore. That helped a lot
aggiejim70
AG
This from page 30 of the Big Book ."The idea that somehow someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker.". I've posted this before but it bears repeating. In my illustrious quarter century of drinking, with very few exceptions, if I controlled it, I didn't enjoy it, and if I enjoyed it, I didn't control it.

It's not your wife's responsibility to get or keep you sober, and she doesn't have the power to do so.

Why don't you join us at 5 and talk about it.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.