Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gunfight at the Twin Peaks [Staff Warning on page 47]

326,196 Views | 1928 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rather be fishing
txyaloo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Just to clarify, and I probaly have a much different opinion of law enforcement in this country than you do, but I didnt mean to imply that the cops shot a bunch of innocent people. My guess is though they did the most killing. BUt it was an extremely difficult chaotic situation. And its just a guess. I am pretty critical of law enforcement in general, but to your point we really dont know anything at this point.

It's possible that they did, but like you said...that's just a guess at this point. That being said, if any one of them was actively engaged in a shoutout with other people and the police shot them then I don't have a problem with that. If the police shot someone unarmed or that wasn't actively trying to shoot someone else, then that's a whole different story.
Ironically, some biker or diner may have been CCL and when the bad guys started shooting, tried to defend himself. This makes LEOs job MUCH more difficult to make target choice in favor of 'good' guys. No real reason to argue this...just making a point that may or may not apply. Adding speculation to the fire....

Indeed. That's why I was saying a few pages back that if I were caught in this situation I don't think I'd even attempt to go for my gun unless I had no other choice. If just try to hide somewhere and wait for the shooting to stop. But yeah...in a situation like this it would be very easy for a "good guy" with a gun to be mistaken for a "bad guy".

+1 - I would also be concerned about leaving the premises once the police contained the situation. I imagine they were checking everyone for weapons, and even a person with a legal CHL would likely be subject to some additional questioning and possibly arrest.

Personally, I wouldn't have entered the restaurant if I saw that many bikes parked out front.
maverick2076
Press release from one of the lawyers retained as defense counsel:

quote:
BOND REDUCTIONS OFFERED ONLY IN EXCHANGE FOR WAIVING POTENTIAL LAWSUITS IN WACO SHOOTOUT By Roxanne Avery...
May 31 @12:30pm
For Immediate Release
Waco, Texas Earlier today, detainees in the Jack Harwell Detention Center in Waco were told that in exchange for bond reductions, they must sign a document stating the Waco police "had the right to arrest the inmate and that he/she will not file a lawsuit against McLennan County and/or the City of Waco."
On the two-week anniversary of the "shootout at high noon" at the Twin Peaks restaurant between motorcyclists and law enforcement officers, at least 170 people remain detained on $1 million bonds.
This latest information was reported to an attorney representing at least one of the detainees. "It appears the public defenders office in McLennan County is involved in this scurrilous activity," said Paul Looney, a Houston attorney with Looney & Conrad, P.C. "I've never seen anything like the lawlessness that the authorities have perpetrated on these people and now to add insult to injury they are trying to cover their own tracks in exchange for bond. I will be in the reception area of the McLennan County D.A.'s office tomorrow morning at 8:30 with the intention of not leaving until we have the issue of bond resolved."
"They know these people aren't dangerous or they wouldn't be offering the bond reductions and they know the police and the D.A.'s office have violated the law and now they are trying to hold people hostage until they agree to waive their rights. It's unconscionable," said Clay S. Conrad, Looney's law partner.
For More Information, Contact:
Roxanne Avery
Media Relations, Looney & Conrad, P.C.
(405) 388-6191
Roxanne@LooneyConrad.com
www.LooneyConrad.com
OR
Paul C. Looney or Clay S. Conrad
(281) 597-8818
Roxanne Avery
(405) 388-6191
Publicist/Writer/Photographer
email: RoxanneAvery@sbcglobal.net

Kenneth_2003
AG
Would an agreement signed by a wrongfully imprisoned person as a condition for their release be considered signed under duress?

The financial implications of this, not only the reduced bond, but the fact they're losing their jobs and family income could push people to accept this.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Would an agreement signed by a wrongfully imprisoned person as a condition for their release be considered signed under duress?

The financial implications of this, not only the reduced bond, but the fact they're losing their jobs and family income could push people to accept this.

I think you could argue duress. Many guys have lost jobs, have businesses in jeopardy and have ex wives that are filling to revoke custody.
Aggies Revenge
AG
quote:

quote:
BOND REDUCTIONS OFFERED ONLY IN EXCHANGE FOR WAIVING POTENTIAL LAWSUITS IN WACO SHOOTOUT By Roxanne Avery...
For Immediate Release
Waco, Texas Earlier today, detainees in the Jack Harwell Detention Center in Waco were told that in exchange for bond reductions, they must sign a document stating the Waco police "had the right to arrest the inmate and that he/she will not file a lawsuit against McLennan County and/or the City of Waco."
On the two-week anniversary of the "shootout at high noon" at the Twin Peaks restaurant between motorcyclists and law enforcement officers, at least 170 people remain detained on $1 million bonds.
This latest information was reported to an attorney representing at least one of the detainees. "It appears the public defenders office in McLennan County is involved in this scurrilous activity," said Paul Looney, a Houston attorney with Looney & Conrad, P.C. "I've never seen anything like the lawlessness that the authorities have perpetrated on these people and now to add insult to injury they are trying to cover their own tracks in exchange for bond. I will be in the reception area of the McLennan County D.A.'s office tomorrow morning at 8:30 with the intention of not leaving until we have the issue of bond resolved."
"They know these people aren't dangerous or they wouldn't be offering the bond reductions and they know the police and the D.A.'s office have violated the law and now they are trying to hold people hostage until they agree to waive their rights. It's unconscionable," said Clay S. Conrad, Looney's law partner.
Roxanne Avery
(405) 388-6191
Roxanne@LooneyConrad.com
www.LooneyConrad.com
OR
(281) 597-8818
Roxanne Avery
(405) 388-6191

That just opened the door for the DOJ to step in... I worked in law enforcement for 10 years. I cannot see how any officer could say this is ok on any level.
txaggie02
AG
Wow! There are going to be some bikers with some really nice motorcycles once this is all over. Lawsuits are going to be in full swing. Unbelievable how McClennan County is dealing with this incident. I'm not sure that pathetic would be strong enough to describe it. No way in hell can this be legal.
TexasRebel
AG
Is Twin Peaks 51% or 30.06?
Guitarsoup
AG
Not completely sure, but don't think they are 51%
maverick2076
quote:
Is Twin Peaks 51% or 30.06?

No to both.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Nothing to see here, they got what they had coming to them [/hoss]
oneeyedag

Move it along, nothing to see here. Perhaps a bankruptcy attorney is wacko's future.
itsyourboypookie
I are there on Friday before the shooting. I was buying the rib some jewelry at James Avery. On Sunday, I was going to go back and exchange one of the pieces. First I was glad I didn't go because of the shoot out. Now I wish I would of been there. These lawsuits seem like they will have a nice payout.
Hoss
AG
quote:
Nothing to see here, they got what they had coming to them [/hoss]

You seem to have misunderstood everything I've said in this thread.
Guitarsoup
AG
So apparently, after that law firm posted their press release today, they got a call from the DA who agreed to reduce bail. There clients should be released tomorrow.

Funny he was able to get that done on Sunday, but the DA refused to meet with him Thursday or Friday.
Magic Mike
quote:

quote:
For Immediate Release
Roxanne Avery
(405) 388-6191
Roxanne@LooneyConrad.com
www.LooneyConrad.com
OR
(281) 597-8818
Roxanne Avery
(405) 388-6191

We all know attorneys NEVER lie.
carpe vinum
AG
We all cringe at lawyers, but that mofo earned every bit of his fee right there.
Post removed:
by user
GottaRide
S
I have had a couple of conversations with Paul Looney. He is a good attorney and comes across as fine southern gentleman. He is very good at manipulating the argument but I don't think he would put that press release out without there being some element of truth behind it.
Centerpole90
AG
I was out of town and off the grid when this went down so I've been playing catch-up because I didn't catch all this while it was still in the live news cycle. Maybe someone can help me out.

Do bikers not carry cell phones with cameras? Yes it was a big shooting and police were (I guess?) laying fire down so everyone was ducking for cover I'm sure; but NOBODY has bouncing cell phone footage of what went on? sorry if I've overlooked the obvious - if it's out there I just haven't found it.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
I was out of town and off the grid when this went down so I've been playing catch-up because I didn't catch all this while it was still in the live news cycle. Maybe someone can help me out.

Do bikers not carry cell phones with cameras? Yes it was a big shooting and police were (I guess?) laying fire down so everyone was ducking for cover I'm sure; but NOBODY has bouncing cell phone footage of what went on? sorry if I've overlooked the obvious - if it's out there I just haven't found it.

There were nine cameras inside, but none on the parking lot. WPD has let on that they have more video, but could be inaccurate info as they have released a lot of inaccurate info.
BoerneGator
AG
quote:

Even if it exists(ed), everyone there was arrested. Their phones were confiscated too, and you can rest assured they were all "examined" for "incriminating" evidence, so even if it did exist once, we'll never see any of it.
The Fife
quote:
quote:

Even if it exists(ed), everyone there was arrested. Their phones were confiscated too, and you can rest assured they were all "examined" for "incriminating" evidence, so even if it did exist once, we'll never see any of it.
It wouldn't surprise me if at least someone's phone automatically uploaded their pictures/video to Google Drive or some other cloud storage.
OnlyForNow
AG
These are bikers not computer geeks.
RK
AG
My 2 year old can take video on an iphone..which gets uploaded to the cloud. I don't think it requires being a geek anymore.
Guitarsoup
AG
So according to someone that is working on this case, the preliminary report on the shooting says that just two shots were fired by bikers and the rest were fired by the 14 Waco Police Officers.
carpe vinum
AG
Fish in a barrel.
aggielostinETX
AG
****ing Waco......
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
So according to someone that is working on this case, the preliminary report on the shooting says that just two shots were fired by bikers and the rest were fired by the 14 Waco Police Officers.
Wow!!! If true....
AggieOO
quote:
i work in IT. my co-worker was there and arrested.

not saying he got video, but people from all walks of life ride motorcycles.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
quote:

yep, and an engineer was arrested too. I would assume a lot more weekend warriors were there as well as "civilians" and waitstaff/bartenders. Backing up to the cloud is not hard.

Not to mention that they apparently didn't take their phones right away.

BoerneGator
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

yep, and an engineer was arrested too. I would assume a lot more weekend warriors were there as well as "civilians" and waitstaff/bartenders. Backing up to the cloud is not hard.

Not to mention that they apparently didn't take their phones right away.

Looks like a bunch of murdering thieves to me alright! Can you believe that officer turned his back on them?
maverick2076
quote:
quote:
Wow!!! If true....
This will be huge if this ever comes out through the media...
OnlyForNow
AG
So where's the video/pictures?

I completely agree, and said my comment tongue in cheek.

If someone got video or pictures and uploaded it automatically don't you think we'd have seen it by now?
TexasRebel
AG
Not if they are still in Jail
OnlyForNow
AG
Isn't everyone on the cloud connected?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.