Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gunfight at the Twin Peaks [Staff Warning on page 47]

320,365 Views | 1928 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rather be fishing
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Surely no juror was gotten to? Yeah right!!!
cheeky
AG
How many 10s or 100s of thousands of dollars or more did taxpayers waste on this trial because the prosecutor allowed a motorcycle shop employee through voir dire? Heads should roll.
AgsMnn
AG
The more I read this the more I think of Sons of Anarchy.
Post removed:
by user
txaggie02
AG
And here we go.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/twin-peaks-dam-breaking-with-dismissal-of-cases-biker-s/article_bf4f69ad-bcd8-53f6-bb8c-6386003f1477.html
techno-ag
AG
txaggie02 said:

And here we go.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/twin-peaks-dam-breaking-with-dismissal-of-cases-biker-s/article_bf4f69ad-bcd8-53f6-bb8c-6386003f1477.html
What's sad is, people may well get away with murder.
txaggie02
AG
Not so sure about that. I'd be willing to bet there is plenty of surveillance video that captured a large majority of what took place.
TexasAggie_02
O.G.
techno-ag said:

txaggie02 said:

And here we go.

What's sad is, people may well get away with murder.

Maybe.
I've talked to a District Attorney in another District and a friend of mine is an attorney with a client in this case. Both of them have told me, independently from each other, that Reyna's best case scenario is that he gets 10-15 convictions, tops. A lot of those are a huge "maybe" now because of how Reyna has handled the cases. Out of 170+ arrests, that's a pretty poor average.

The cost/waste here is staggering.
jpd301
AG
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/da-dismisses-ledbetter-twin-peaks-case/article_fb16e661-9b39-5753-9113-636666f802dd.html

Quote:

In response to other Twin Peaks biker attorneys filing similar motions, Reyna has dismissed 26 Twin Peaks cases and refused 32 others that had not been indicted, effectively canceling hearings at which Reyna and his present and past assistants were subpoenaed to testify.
The DA doesn't want to have himself or his employees testify under oath about their actions on this case and would rather dismiss cases... think about that.
ZoneClubber
AG
Good Lord. Reyna sounds completely unqualified
Quote:

Looney filed a motion to disqualify McLennan County District Attorney Abel Reyna in October after it was discovered that the DA's office released videos from Ledbetter's cellphone that showed Ledbetter and his wife having sex. The videos were sent to more than 125 attorneys as part of the massive Twin Peaks discovery process.
Post removed:
by user
BoerneGator
AG
Incompetence could almost be forgiven, were it not so obvious, and ubiquitous. But I'm thinking there is massive corruption to boot, and that needs to be exposed with s very bright light!

Didn't Reyna stand for re-election? And what were the results?
jpd301
AG
Quote:

Didn't Reyna stand for re-election? And what were the results?
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/elections/johnson-ousts-reyna-in-da-race/article_93e4cce6-0c0c-5dfd-bd96-b7eb67586c50.html

Quote:

Johnson, 61, who practiced personal injury law in Dallas for 30 years before moving back to McLennan County last year, got 10,347 votes for 59.9 percent of the vote to Reyna's 6,930 for 40.1 percent.

IDAGG
AG
jpd301 said:

Quote:

Johnson, 61, who practiced personal injury law in Dallas for 30 years before moving back to McLennan County last year, got 10,347 votes for 59.9 percent of the vote to Reyna's 6,930 for 40.1 percent.

The taxpayers probably realized how many millions of dollars they are going to have to pay out for Reyna's abuses/incompetence and showed him the door.
Aggies Revenge
AG
Zone416 said:

Good Lord. Reyna sounds completely unqualified
Quote:

Looney filed a motion to disqualify McLennan County District Attorney Abel Reyna in October after it was discovered that the DA's office released videos from Ledbetter's cellphone that showed Ledbetter and his wife having sex. The videos were sent to more than 125 attorneys as part of the massive Twin Peaks discovery process.

Isn't that enough to get him disbarred?
jpd301
AG
So the judge already had a jury panel ready for the trial that got dismissed in the first article I linked today. After that case was dismissed the Judge set another twin peaks for trial in four days to not waste the jury panel. Immediately after being set for trial the DA's office filed a motion to dismiss the second case. Assuming it was again so they wouldn't have to testify at any motion hearings.

Interestingly the second dismissal today was a guy that had the stones to turn down a misdemeanor assault plea deal when faced with a 1st degree felony because "he didn't do anything." Few folks on the accused side of our justice system would ever have the time, money, or stones to turn a deal down like that, innocent or not.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/da-dismisses-two-more-twin-peaks-cases/article_fb16e661-9b39-5753-9113-636666f802dd.html

Quote:

"Regrettably, in an effort to protect various parties from civil liability, the state's motion includes self-serving language claiming that it believed probable cause existed for this prosecution in the first place," Broden said. "In fact, Mr. Bergman is absolutely innocent of the charges and the state knows it. Had he not been innocent the state never would have offered him a misdemeanor plea for an offense that originally carried a sentence of life imprisonment.

"So, while the state cannot bring itself to admit it for reasons related to its civil liability, the state knows Mr. Bergman is innocent and is really not fooling anybody. Indeed, video evidence that has been available to the state for more than two years establishes that Mr. Bergman just arrived at Twin Peaks when the shooting started and that he immediately ran and took cover in the Don Carlos parking lot," he said.
BoerneGator
AG
God bless Mr. Bergman for standing his ground. I hope Reyna gets all that he deserves from this! Was this a set-up from the jump?
reagan1k
Aside from a literal handful of bad actors among the bikers present that day, my opinion is that the most dangerous individual in this case is Reyna with his political aspirations run amuck.

He literally threw all moral and ethical obligations he has as an officer of the court in the trash and forever changed / ruined many lives in the process. He should serve jail time for this and be held personally liable for the costs borne by the citizens of the county to rectify this train wreck he personally orchestrated.

He's more guilty of "organized crime" than most he ATTEMPTED to prosecute IMO.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Duke lacrosse rape case all over again but done Waco style

jpd301
AG
Bad news for Reyna's civil suits -

Quote:

Special prosecutors seek dismissal of Clendennen Twin Peaks case

Some excerpts from the article:

A special prosecutor is seeking to dismiss all charges against Matthew Clendennen in the Twin Peaks shootout, saying there was no evidence that the Hewitt biker played a role in the 2015 incident

Special prosecutor Brian M. Roberts filed a motion Friday to dismiss the first-degree felony charges against Clendennen,

Roberts is among four special prosecutors appointed to handle four Twin Peaks case from which McLennan County District Attorney Abel Reyna recused his office.

Roberts' motion asks that the charges be dismissed with prejudice, meaning they could not be refiled later. The motion said he is seeking the dismissal because there was not sufficient probable cause for the arrest.

"In my opinion, that just wasn't a sufficient basis to charge someone without any evidence that they were involved in any wrongdoing that day," he said. "I am very confident in my decision. As a matter of fact, it was something that the four of us discussed. There was just no evidence to show he was involved in anything that happened there, other than being present, and that ain't enough."

Reyna recused himself from Clendennen's case as it was headed for trial, making it among the first Twin Peaks cases independently reviewed by prosecutors outside Reyna's office.

"The language the special prosecutors use in their motion to dismiss differs dramatically from the weasel words used by Reyna in the Twin Peaks cases previously dismissed by his office," Broden said. "Reyna, unlike the special prosecutors, included language in his dismissal motions attempting to continue the public charade that the arrests of 177 people and 154 indictments were somehow proper... Free from political ambition, the special prosecutors were able to see the frivolousness of this case and it further exposes the actions of Abelino Reyna."

In a status conference Friday, Assistant District Attorney Amanda Dillon told Judge Ralph Strother that the DA's office likely will dismiss all but 25 to 30 cases during a re-evaluation of the Twin Peaks cases. Many of those dismissals could come this week, she said.

MookieBlaylock
AG
3 years

Believable
BoerneGator
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

3 years

Believable Criminal
FIFY
45-70Ag
AG
http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Wording-of-Twin-Peaks-dismissal-motion-may-increase-civil-liability--481647821.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KWTX_News_10
txaggie02
AG
www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/charges-dropped-against-more-bikers-in-twin-peaks-shootout/article_0180b29d-2ced-5250-b8fe-27fdb4935797.amp.html

And the floodgates have opened.
TxFig
AG
I wonder how long until some of these people who have cases dropped begin suing the local DA....

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Judges-dismiss-more-than-60-Twin-Peaks-cases-in-single-day-482108841.html
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
aggiepublius
AG
Read the link right above yours.

Quote:

130 civil rights lawsuits filed by bikers against Reyna, McLennan County, the Waco Police Department and local and state law enforcement officials.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Gonna be plenty of shiny new bikes and cuts thanks to wacko
Post removed:
by user
45-70Ag
AG
25 indictments passed down today. Far less than the original number.
ATX_AG_08
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Quote:

The CVMA Protocol is an interesting read... Confirms what I (and apparently others) have been told and adds even more.

CVMA Protocol
Wow. This is cult-like in the sense of "us vs them" etc. The sense of power that the MC's clearly have just pisses me off. Get over yourselves.
I read that "protocol". I couldn't help thinking that there wouldn't be 10% as much protocol for a meeting with the freaking Queen of England.

I get the respect thing, but what a bunch of pansies, that they can't take the slightest "disrespect" without going ballistic. Part of being a man is self control and shrugging off idiots.

I remember being abt 21 and having a Bandido (a grown ass man) confront me in a bar in Austin for doing the horns down. Fragile bunch, those Bandidos.
txaggie02
AG
Wow Wow Wow. Don't even know what to say.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Waco-DA-to-drop-remaining-24-Twin-Peaks-cases-508007331.html
maverick2076
https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/mclennan-county/district-attorney-to-dimiss-all-remaining-twin-peaks-cases

"Attorney Brian Roberts out of Houston was a special prosecutor in some of the cases. He dismissed the ones he worked early on, and he said that as a prosecutor, it was offensive in any sense of what justice looks like.

"I agree to the first part where everyone was detained to be identified so they could sort the witnesses from the actors," Roberts said. "The part I disagree with is every single thing afterwards. There was plenty of time for a true, thorough investigation. But instead, everyone received fill-in-the-blank, cookie-cutter charges."

Johnson will be filing a motion to dismiss all the criminal cases. There are still civil cases that are active."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.