Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gunfight at the Twin Peaks [Staff Warning on page 47]

320,366 Views | 1928 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rather be fishing
BCO07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Only one out of 170 has bonded out? Are there really that many people that can afford a 20k motorcycle and 40k truck but can't scratch together 100k in a time of serious dire need? I was hoping some of these guys would be out and talking by now.
financing 60k means you can pull $100k cash out of thing air?
TexasAggie_02
AG
so was the "business meeting" of the CoC to take place at Twin Peaks, or somewhere else? Why did some people come into town for the meeting, but then go to the other restaurant? Was twin peaks too crowded, or did they see some shady folks and decided to go eat next door?
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
Only one out of 170 has bonded out? Are there really that many people that can afford a 20k motorcycle and 40k truck but can't scratch together 100k in a time of serious dire need? I was hoping some of these guys would be out and talking by now.
It was mentioned ump-teen pages ago. If you pay a bail bondsman to get you out of the clink, he charges you a non-refundable 10% of your bail. It's one thing to pay $500 or $1000 go get out of when you can't scrape up 5-10 grand on your own. It's another thing to just throw 100 grand out the window.

Not to mention there probably aren't all that many bail bondsmen with millions in liquid cash just lying around. The one that was bailed out was fitted with an ankle monitor. I'm not surprised. Anyone that can afford to toss $100,000 out the window can probably afford to say "F - - - IT!" and skip town.
aggielostinETX
AG
or did they run over there when the shooting started? I don't know but we don't have a full story.
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
or did they run over there when the shooting started? I don't know but we don't have a full story.
Or did they get there early because they wanted Mexican Food rather than wings or burgers?
Post removed:
by user
maverick2076
quote:
so was the "business meeting" of the CoC to take place at Twin Peaks, or somewhere else? Why did some people come into town for the meeting, but then go to the other restaurant? Was twin peaks too crowded, or did they see some shady folks and decided to go eat next door?
I would imagine it was pretty crowded. Maybe they wanted to eat and be done with lunch before the meeting started? I wouldn't be wanting to try to order, get my food, and pay my tab with 200 plus others doing the same thing.
aggielostinETX
AG
Absolutely possible but all we have is some guy wife's saying her husband wasn't at the breasturant
maverick2076
quote:

Do you seriously think that every biker rides a $20K bike and has a $40K truck? There is a decent number of guys in MC's who only own a bike, or who ride an older bike, or even an import, because it is the only thing they can afford.

And I really doubt any of these guys are going to be talking to the press when they do get out until the charges are dismissed. I doubt their lawyers would let them.
Breggy Popup
AG
quote:
Absolutely possible but all we have is some guy wife's saying her husband wasn't at the breasturant

And the guy's attorney saying he's being denied counsel. I'm guessing him being at the Mexican food joint is pretty easy to corroborate.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
quote:
You know I know how it works. My point, which I didn't make clear, is that the Charlie Foxtrot continues to grow. WPD will have 'splainin' to do if they did indeed arrest guys that were eating at an entirely different establishment....besides all the other potential problems with the situation.

They must have a judge that operates differently than ours.

If our city judge didn't think PC existed to arrest these guys, he'd have had zero problems no PCing the arrest and letting them walk. Either this judge just went along with things "just because" and threw a $1,000,000 bail on em, or there's some PC in those affidavits.

But sure, if those guys lied on the sworn affidavits, they're screwed.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Weren't they all arraigned together within 24 hours? Doesn't seem to me like a lot of time to evaluate them on a case by case basis to me.

I'm asking. I'm no legal mind and I didn't stay at a holiday inn last night.
maverick2076
The affidavit is posted on one of the Politics threads about this. It's a form letter used for all 170 defendants, with a blank at the top where the defendant's name was filled in by hand and a blank at the bottom for the arresting officer's name and signature. Nothing specific to the individual is listed in the complaint at all. This generic document is what was used to justify feliny charges an million dollar bonds on 170+ people.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
quote:
Weren't they all arraigned together within 24 hours? Doesn't seem to me like a lot of time to evaluate them on a case by case basis to me.

Certainly a consideration, and a situation that I've definite never been around. Maybe they had multiple magistrates/judges working on assigning bond and reading the affidavits.

But I know if I was going to hang a million dollar bond on someone and put my name on the bottom of that affidavit, I'd like to make sure I paid attention to it.
maverick2076
quote:
quote:

Certainly a consideration, and a situation that I've definite never been around. Maybe they had multiple magistrates/judges working on assigning bond and reading the affidavits.

But I know if I was going to hang a million dollar bond on someone and put my name on the bottom of that affidavit, I'd like to make sure I paid attention to it.

See above about the affidavit. The same JP assigned the same bail and charges to every person arrested based on the same generic form letter affidavit.

Still sound like due process to anyone?
aggielostinETX
AG
quote:
quote:

And the guy's attorney saying he's being denied counsel. I'm guessing him being at the Mexican food joint is pretty easy to corroborate.
the counsel thing seems like a major screw up on the States part.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the civil suits for all these folks that have likely lost their jobs (or will lose their jobs), and are certainly currently losing income; all the while incurring additional expense, is going to cost Waco and McClennan county in the billions.

More importantly, surely Sumlin will find a way to use this to negatively recruit Baylor.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:

The meeting wasnt until 1. They probably wanted mediocre Mexican food then would go to the meeting. Shooting was happening about 12:20.
SteveBott
AG
Affidavit

Player To Be Named Later
AG
quote:

See above about the affidavit. The same JP assigned the same bail and charges to every person arrested based on the same generic form letter affidavit.

Still sound like due process to anyone?

That JP will have some explaining to do. Surprised one JP would agree to sign off on 170 affidavits and assign the same bond to every person.

Certainly not behavior I'm used to from a judge.
FincAg
AG
A Cossacks' story of the events is pretty interesting to read:

Nevermind, it was posted on the previous page.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:

It was, but not sure how much stock you should put it in. They had 6 members killed and already hated the Bandidos before that. The whole thing reads like a "We were just minding our own business when the big bad Bandidos tricked us into an ambush!" which is kind of what you would expect them to say considering the circumstances.
FincAg
AG
None really. It just seems like there has been hardly any info released. This guy's version of events were highly entertaining.
Ark03
AG
quote:
That JP will have some explaining to do. Surprised one JP would agree to sign off on 170 affidavits and assign the same bond to every person.

Certainly not behavior I'm used to from a judge.
It doesn't take much to be a Justice of the Peace. You don't have to be a lawyer or judge - you can just be elected with pretty much no other qualification.

Source: I know a JP in the DFW area who was just a local businessman - no legal training whatsoever.

And, because I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn recently, here's a real source: http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/candidates/guide/qualifications.shtml

Edit to add: I think a new JP does have to take a 2-week long course after being elected. But again, that's a far cry from a legal degree.
Post removed:
by user
Kenneth_2003
AG
Remind anyone of our "beloved" JP Boyette?

Guitarsoup
AG
The Honorable W. H. Peterson, who put the $1mm bail on all 170 despite questionable affidavits received an associates degree in Criminal Justice in 1977 from Central Texas College. Assuming that his LinkedIn Profile is entirely accurate.
BoerneGator
AG
In days gone by, in rural counties, the JPs were generally local nere-do-wells and /or town drunks who held these offices. It's changed somewhat over time, but I reckon it still leans that way. But it's a seedy kinda job too.
Guitarsoup
AG
Peterson spent almost 33 years as a State Trooper in Waco before becoming a JP there.
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
Peterson spent almost 33 years as a State Trooper in Waco before becoming a JP there.
That's a pretty good recommendation, in my book!
aggielostinETX
AG
quote:
That doesn't bode well for the constitutionality of his actions.
BoerneGator
maverick2076
Here is some more info about some of the people in prison right now:

https://amyirenewhite.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/the-distorted-truth-biker-victims-of-waco/

https://amyirenewhite.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/god-save-the-queen-another-female-biker-victim-of-waco/
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
quote:
quote:

It was, but not sure how much stock you should put it in. They had 6 members killed and already hated the Bandidos before that. The whole thing reads like a "We were just minding our own business when the big bad Bandidos tricked us into an ambush!" which is kind of what you would expect them to say considering the circumstances.
Actually, the Cossacks are universally known in the underground biking community for their fervent dedication and commitment to honesty above all other virtues. This has not always served to avert crisis though, as often times they can be TOO honest in volatile situations. I wouldn't be surprised if a Cossack simply bumped into a Bandido in the bathroom and when the rival member said something along the lines of "Hey man, do I look like a b*tch?!", the Cossack responded with "Well actually..." before fists and chains began flying.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.