Hearthstone Nerds

132,603 Views | 1524 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by redline248
TJJackson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Go watch Trump's teachings on YouTube to get a feel for how to play the game. After that, practice these skills on the Innkeeper while unlocking all of the basic cards for each class. From there, go check Sheng's Basic deck lists to be able to build semi-competitive decks. You should be able to find them off of Google, let me know if you can't though, I'm on mobile otherwise I'd just link it now. After that, work on learning the different cards in the game and learning how and when to play around certain cards. Watching streamers is a great way to do that, my favorites are Kibler, Amaz, Kripparian, and Trump.

So earlier I watched Trump's first two vids about beginner strategy and basics. Holy hell, that helped out a ton. Thanks for all the tips!
Civen
AG
quote:
Also, I beat the first four bosses on heroic in the new adventure tonight. The chess one was more of a challenge because you couldn't just outlast the boss. I used a Mill Rogue for the Magic Mirror, a weird Patron Mage with Baron Geddon to beat the plates, and basically had to get lucky with the legendary portals on the prologue boss.
I never got mill to work on heroic mirror. I ended up using the priest/silence deck with all the "Can't attack" minions like ancient watcher and eerie statue from hearthpwn. It was really entertaining filling his board with junk, and watching fatigue damage take him down.

And for the heroic silverware golem, if you play an Abomination, the AI won't attack at all since it knows that killing the abom will destroy all the plates. Use mage/hunter to ping him to death while he sits there doing nothing. I'm thinking there might be a patch to the AI for that fight though, since Abom makes it completely trivial. Get the credit now, before the easy solution goes away!
Ganondorf
AG
I used a deck similar to Kibler's patron warrior and came across the abomination glitch on accident. I had explosive sheep out as well and even after boosting the plates he didn't attack since I had so much aoe on the board.

Turns out that deck worked on the other boss. Prologue was beaten in 1 try, got lucky I guess.

The chess guy took like 20 times where he didn't draw the queen and beat me.
bevokilla
AG
quote:
quote:
Also, I beat the first four bosses on heroic in the new adventure tonight. The chess one was more of a challenge because you couldn't just outlast the boss. I used a Mill Rogue for the Magic Mirror, a weird Patron Mage with Baron Geddon to beat the plates, and basically had to get lucky with the legendary portals on the prologue boss.
I never got mill to work on heroic mirror. I ended up using the priest/silence deck with all the "Can't attack" minions like ancient watcher and eerie statue from hearthpwn. It was really entertaining filling his board with junk, and watching fatigue damage take him down.

And for the heroic silverware golem, if you play an Abomination, the AI won't attack at all since it knows that killing the abom will destroy all the plates. Use mage/hunter to ping him to death while he sits there doing nothing. I'm thinking there might be a patch to the AI for that fight though, since Abom makes it completely trivial. Get the credit now, before the easy solution goes away!
The other strategy for Mirror is to play Majordomo and have him summon the 1/1 copy. I havent tried it but people on Reddit were talking about it.
TJJackson
I've got 7 of my 9 heroes leveled up to 10. Hope to have all the basic cards by the end of tomm.

Any suggestions on what to do after I get all my basic cards out of the way?

This game is so addicting. Ashamed I didn't pick it up earlier.
TKEAg04
AG
Playing and collecting gold from daily quests!

I started playing from the very beginning and it took over 2 years to collect just about every card minus a couple of the worthless legendaries, and I even purchased around ~$100 of cards.

Good luck on your new addiction!
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Ugh, I'm having a rotten streak of opponents drawing the the perfect cards on seemingly every turn.

Had some Mage to 1 health and an empty hand earlier when they drew Reno. I'll just set this down a while.

Edit: wrong emoji
Dr. Horrible
Loving playing this weeks brawl fwiw
Line Ate Member
AG
Got lucky with my priest quest and then played as the priest for the games I needed. Played about 6 games and have only lost one. I like the priest a lot better.
TJJackson
Finally finished all the start up missions (level all heroes to 10, defeat all heroes on expert, etc...).

I feel now I can settle into a routine of doing the daily quests and getting 10 or 20 gold from wins.

I've yet to figure out which hero I like the best.

Quick question: How long are the seasons and when does this one end? Also, what rank should I strive for before this season ends?
redline248
AG
Season is a month long, so this one ends August 31. Getting to rank 20 means you get the special card back for the season.
Line Ate Member
AG
Btw...zoolock works great for the Romulo and Julianne.
Post removed:
by user
TJJackson
Is there any reason to play the brawl more than once after you received the pack?
Vade281
AG
Unless it's quick and you can farm gold...you really like it...or you happen to have the win 5 brawl quest. Otherwise I don't care for it most weeks.
TJJackson
I feel I got lucky with this week's brawl. Before I realized I need to level up all heroes to get all the basic cards, I had my mage up to level 18.

Well, I was trying to get up to 20 in ranked and the mage was the only one making any headway for me in that aspect. I took a break and watched Trump play this week's brawl somewhere along the way. That really did help because it took me a minute watching his video to figure out you weren't fighting the other player.

Anyway I got up to the point to unlock the brawl and decided to try it out. Low and behold I beat him on the first try.
3rdGen2015
AG
Just an FYI, you have to beat Heroic The Crone before turn 8. Otherwise she throws down Twisting Nether and kills you. I raged so hard when I learned that the hard way.
TJJackson
I'm about to go through and add yall.
Line Ate Member
AG
What is the point of doing the heroic adventures, besides being able to say you did it? Is there some sort of gold reward or,anything?
redline248
AG
no, you get a card back
TJJackson
I'm in a serious losing streak right now. I know it's because I don't have the skills and I have just a basic deck. I've been hesitant to constantly change out decks because I want to see if I can fight through it, but I stopped counting after five straight losses.

I know it's part of the game and learning process, but damn it sucks.
TKEAg04
AG
Don't feel bad. Definitely part of the game. Search YouTube for your deck archetype and there will be tons of people playing athat type of deck. Hearthstone is a game of pure strategy and logic due to the fact that just about every type of deck is competitive against another deck. There isn't a deck that beats all others - there will always be a deck that is stronger or weaker than what you are playing.
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
Just an FYI, you have to beat Heroic The Crone before turn 8. Otherwise she throws down Twisting Nether and kills you. I raged so hard when I learned that the hard way.

Inner fire priest works great. Mulligan for the combo.
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
I'm in a serious losing streak right now. I know it's because I don't have the skills and I have just a basic deck. I've been hesitant to constantly change out decks because I want to see if I can fight through it, but I stopped counting after five straight losses.

I know it's part of the game and learning process, but damn it sucks.

I often go through a couple 7 game losing streaks a season so don't feel bad.
TJJackson
I've been stuck on the cusp of getting rank 18 only to then lose 4 or five straight. It is frustrating but I know it's just part of the process of learning and building my deck.
redline248
AG
Don't feel too discouraged over this final 10 days. There might be some late hardcore players climbing the ladder. First week of the season is the same.
TJJackson
I'm not too discouraged. I know there is a learning curve and trying to keep it all in perspective. It's a fun game for sure, but losing sucks.
TJJackson
Got the win 5 in tavern quest. There was 3 different times I wanted to literally strangle my partner. Luckily it only took 8 tries to win 5.
TJJackson
Apparently I opened up an Archmage Antonidas somewhere along the way. I didn't notice it until I was going through my collection earlier.
redline248
AG
As good a reason to play mage that there is. Congrats.
TKEAg04
AG
quote:
Apparently I opened up an Archmage Antonidas somewhere along the way. I didn't notice it until I was going through my collection earlier.
Mech mage would wreck shop back in the GvG expansion.
Predmid
AG
do the hearthstone devs have a f'ing clue about balance?

priest went from **** to holy *************ing annoying with like 5 cards.
Predmid
AG
and i don't mean actual win/loss rates.

I'm talking about how it feels to win or lose vs. some decks.
TKEAg04
AG
Yep priest got some nice upgrades.
redline248
AG
Well, priest was like 3 to 5 percent of the meta in old gods. It needed help. Also, remember that the full adventure set isn't out. Priest might get knocked back down in the next 2 weeks. Or, at least one or 2 deck types will show up to put a stop to priest. Or, blizzard wants priest to be strong. They don't really care about complete balance.

Maybe paladin well get a bump, soon. It's pretty bad right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.