Hearthstone Nerds

132,610 Views | 1524 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by redline248
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw this at PAX South
http://toucharcade.com/2016/01/29/pax-south-2016-eternal-ccg/
Ganondorf
AG
Not a huge fan of that UI, intrigued by the game.
Ganondorf
AG
Topped out at 6. I was 1 win away from 5 on 3 separate occasions. Tried to get the wins but ended the night with 9 losses in 12 games.
redline248
AG
That's always the way it's gone for me, too. 1 win from the next rank and lose 3 in a row or more. I swear I'm getting to 10 next season.
Cloud
Finished this season at 9, which is a personal best. The goal is to improve every season and eventually hit legend. Played zoo.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
Just downloaded the game and started last night. Unlocked all heros and read up on starter decks etc. I really enjoyed it, and am going to give it a shot.

Any advice for a noob? Best class to start with? I'm willing to spend a little $.
Ganondorf
AG
If you don't mind spending the $60 to get the 3 expansions that's a good place to start. Each contains cards for different classes that are integral to successful decks. Ex. Blackrock has cards for dragon priest and Flamewaker for mage. Naxxramus has the almighty Sludge Belcher.

While a lot of people online would disagree because this suggestion doesn't facilitate individualism, go to www.hearthpwn.com and look up decks there. They have a program you can install called Innkeeper which catalogs your collection and you can sort decks by dust cost and even select only ones you have the cards for.

From there you start messing with templates to match the meta of decks you are playing.
Ganondorf
AG
As far as best class, I'd say hunter has the cheapest cards to start building a Face Hunter deck. You could build a cheap Mech deck as well; mage and shaman.

Ultimately it'll depend on what luck you have with rares, epics, & legendaries. If you pull Archmage Antonidas, maybe it's time to focus on mage; Tirion Fordring and paladin would be good.
Cloud
Another good way to learn is to watch some videos from some of the top streamers, like amaz, trump, kripparian, etc.
Ganondorf
AG
My personal favorite is Trump. He usually goes into reasons why he plays certain cards and why other plays might not be as good. He also does a good job with arena and explaining why he'd choose certain cards over others.

Unfortunately I still suck at arena regardless of his teaching.

Some of these videos are older and the decks themselves wouldn't be played but it'll give you a good idea of the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvEIxIeBRKShebsK_0f5_WbnaMVmWVXDL
Cloud
I'm going to try and ladder with Control priest this month.

First matchup today? Murloc pally. Fml
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
I've got several dumb questions.
So right now I'm just working each hero up to level 10 facing the AI. Is that the right thing to be doing?
Can I level while earning the expansion cards?
When I pay the $20 or whatever, what's then required to earn the cards? Kill some AI players?
How do I know which cards to DE?

I went to hearthpwn and that's got some good info. I like the mech mage low cost deck as a way to compete for fairly low cost. I watched a lot of videos on how to play it and think I may give that a shot first. Seems like the only cards I would need are from the Naxx expansion.
redline248
AG
quote:
I've got several dumb questions.
So right now I'm just working each hero up to level 10 facing the AI. Is that the right thing to be doing?
Can I level while earning the expansion cards?
When I pay the $20 or whatever, what's then required to earn the cards? Kill some AI players?
How do I know which cards to DE?

I went to hearthpwn and that's got some good info. I like the mech mage low cost deck as a way to compete for fairly low cost. I watched a lot of videos on how to play it and think I may give that a shot first. Seems like the only cards I would need are from the Naxx expansion.
You can level by playing the expansions, same as the inn keeper, but it'll take longer than playing against another human. You can always play casual while you try to level untill you have all the basic cards.

When you buy an expansion, there are different AI bosses to defeat. Defeating each one will unlock a specific card or two. Then you get the class challenges for that expansion. Defeating each of those will give another class specific card.

As you get cards, they come with a colored gem in the center. Gray = common, blue = rare, purple = epic, and orange = legendary. I would stay away from dusting anything besides the grays for now. As you earn gold and buy packs (or get them from spectate quest, tavern brawl or arena), you'll eventually get more than 2 of the same card. Since 2 is the most of any card you can put into a deck, you don't need the extras. Dust those. Your collection page will include a number under the card (x2 or x3, etc). Cards without a gem cannot be dusted.
Ganondorf
AG
quote:

Deck list? I never got any light bombs or shadow priests.
redline248
AG
GD mages are the bane of my current existence
Brenner
AG
Some pretty big changes coming this Spring, the game is going to be a lot more friendly to new players. Watch the video in this link before spending a bunch of money:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/02/hearthstone-gets-more-deck-slots-to-compensate-for-new-formats
Ganondorf
AG
Wow, going the route of magic the gathering to make people use new cards. I suppose I should have figured that would happen.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
Haha wow. Now I'm totally confused. So I should only buy the most recent expansion maybe? Or nothing? Haha. My head hurts.

Thanks for posting.
Civen
AG
quote:
Haha wow. Now I'm totally confused. So I should only buy the most recent expansion maybe? Or nothing? Haha. My head hurts.

Thanks for posting.

Only spend money on:
adventures - The League of Explorers, Black Rock mountain,
Card packs - the grand tournament, classic

I'd say keep any dust you get for later, once things are a bit more clear on which decks look good.

This effectively kills the mech mage deck you were looking at though. Might try looking into face hunter, which will lose some pretty standard cards that are always included, but not as much as mech mage which is pretty much losing all the mechs

Also try searching /r/hearthstone for guides to decks using only basic/class cards. People will post them from time to time to help new players who are intimidated by the huge cards other people play
Cloud
quote:
quote:

Deck list? I never got any light bombs or shadow priests.
Here's the deck I'm running. I'm considering making room for thought steal and maybe sylvanis.

Ganondorf
AG
As for Standard and Wild, it did say that the reward structure would take the better placement of the 2 formats. 12 in standard and 5 in wild seems like you'd get rank 5 rewards.

You could still get cards to play in Wild so don't necessarily shy away from them. Tournament play will be standard so if you plan on doing that some day you'll want to only invest in the newer stuff.

As for cards to focus on, it looks like TGT and Classic with a heavy focus on classic imo. The legendaries on classic will be used forever.

I guess this is one way to balance Boom and eliminate Sludge Belcher. It does suck to lose GvG in standard play.
redline248
AG
Son of a...I just crafted Dr Boom last week
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
quote:

Only spend money on:
adventures - The League of Explorers, Black Rock mountain,
Card packs - the grand tournament, classic

I guess I don't undetstand. Is Naxx the oldest expansion and you're saying don't buy?
Isn't LoE an expansion? BRM?

And as far as buying packs goes... Classic, TGT, and GvG will all cards bought here be used in standard?

Why do you say buy classic and TGT only. Sorry can someone dumb this down for me? Thanks.
redline248
AG
Adventure = expansion

The goblin v gnomes cards, and naxx cards are getting "removed," it sounds like...They are the oldest non-classic. I don't know if removed means all together, or just from use in standard play.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
quote:
Basically, there's going to be two new formats in constructed play. There's going to be one called wild, where you can use any card you have, and standard, which limits the sets you can play from. Basically, for the 2016 standard format, you'll be able to use any cards released in 2016, plus every card from 2015 (Blackrock, TGT, and LOE), plus the basic and classic sets.
How this affects you is that any cards you have from Blackrock, TGT, and LOE you'll be able to use for a year in standard, and any cards you have from classic you'll be able to use forever. Any cards you have from GvG and Naxx will not be usable in standard. However, you will still be able to use them in the wild game mode. Additionally, you will be able to disenchant any Naxx cards you have (something you can't do right now) if you have no interest in playing wild. It's unclear right now if DEing Naxx cards is a good idea depending on if/when they bring cards back into standard, but either way you haven't really wasted anything by getting Naxx.
Overall, this will probably be a positive effect to people starting out, as long term it's going to be a bit easier to keep up than it is now. I think it's safe to say that right now is probably a better time to start playing than any other time in the past year or so.

Found this. I think I understand now.
redline248
AG
It really just ensures they can get people to continue buying expansions as they remove cards from play.
benMath08
AG
quote:
It really just ensures they can get people to continue buying expansions as they remove cards from play.
Makes it easier for new players to get into the game, they won't need to buy tons of adventures and different card pack types to be competitive.

I play fairly often, trainRiderJ#1509 on battle.net.
Really???
MICRO MACHINE.

I hate this card soooooooooo much. hate it hate it hate it.

Had a bad mulligan then suddenly I'm facing a growing beast that's had it's health buffed on the 3rd turn. Just conceded instead of dealing with the thing.
redline248
AG
No worse than the gd flamewaker hiding safely behind 2 mirror images, eating up everything you put on the board.
Really???
I'm trying out this deck http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/422868-legendary-cheap-aggrodin-s22 though I'm missing some key cards. Been fun, but damn, a bad draw at the start just stops it dead in its tracks.

Double knife jugglers then muster for battle is a blast though when I can pull it off.
DanHo2010
AG
I just started a couple weeks ago. danho2010#1150
agmrpink
AG
With all the new updates, boy am I glad I've been gold spamming Classic packs. Dust for days!
SF2004
AG
I kind of like the new updates. Gives us two versions of the games. Keeps it growing. Allows new players to eventual craft the cards needed for wild (legacy).

Overall this could be great for the game.
Ganondorf
AG
The best thing that'll cone from this is the new decks that will need to be created for Standard. Most of the best decks are trashed by the changes.
redline248
AG
Is anyone having much luck getting up the ladder in ranked play this month? I'm stuck at like 16.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.