Avengers Endgame *** SPOILERS THREAD *** YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

168,245 Views | 1502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Old Jock 1997 said:

TCTTS you are probably the best to address this.

Do you think Chris Evans is truly done? He just seems typecast to me now. Captain America made him; can he ever be anything else on screen, at least in the near term?

If he went back to an alternate reality, did he live as a more muscular but regular guy as Peggy Carter's husband or as Cpt America? Do they explore that timeline more at some point?

I probably liked Star Wars Episodes 7 & 8 more than most, but I agree with many folks that they could've given a stronger nod to fans in episode 8 with the re-introduction of Luke than they did and making him more heroic.

So did they learn from that in crafting Endgame? Was there enough time? Or will 9 somehow deliver those send-offs SW fans so desperately wanted but felt they didn't get?

I know it's different directors and producers, but it's all now Disney.

Evans is done. Based on his interviews alone, I don't see him ever coming back, and I don't want him back, either. Cap's story was PERFECT. So much better than I ever could have imagined, and there's no need to show him fighting crime and saving a different reality all over again. As for the whole alternate reality thing, I think people are making it way more complicated than it needs to be. I think he returned all the stones, then went back to the 40s and lived out his life with Peggy. Maybe he did a few, minor heroic things here and there, but the important thing was that he learned to enjoy life. He no longer has the NEED to save EVERYONE. He's already saved our world multiple times, why does he have to keep doing it in an alternate reality? Regardless, once he lived out his life in the alternate reality (and Peggy died, I'm assuming), he then returned to his timeline, maybe a day or so before we saw him, knew exactly where the guys would be, and went and sat on that bench.
The real question is did Rogers tell Peggy about everything that he'd been through. I also bet family reunions were interesting with Sharon Carter as a kid
Ulrich
I don't think Romanov would have wanted a public funeral. She would have wanted her four real friends to accept her sacrifice and not cared a bit about anything else. Imo, she got a perfect ending and send off in light of her character.
Truvada_for_prep
MBAR said:

Truvada_for_prep said:

does the next capt america follow the comics or is it sjw bs?
Was waiting for this post. Was starting to think I might have been a bit wrong about Texags.

Nope.

Lol yet here you are sorry the truth hurts
fig96
AG
Re: Peter and Ned and Far From Home's timeline:
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/27/what-year-mcu-endgame-peter-parker-school-age-ned
Quote:

That means when a newly resurrected Peter Parker (Tom Holland) goes back to high school in Endgame's coda many of his classmates will have already graduated from college while he's still in high school. Peter obviously won't be the only kid in the MCU in that situation.

As a highly placed Marvel Studios source informed IGN: "Thanos' snap wiped out 50% of all life -- and 100% of Peter's friends." That means both Ned (Jacob Batalon) and MJ (Zendaya) died in Infinity War, too, and that's why Ned's still in high school when Peter returns (and why all three of them are still in high school in the upcoming Spider-Man: Far From Home).

Marvel Studios president Kevin Fege told IGN shortly before Infinity War came out last year that Spider-Man: Far From Home takes place after Avengers: Endgame. Feige said at the time that Far From Home will see Peter contending with the aftermath of the events of the third and fourth Avengers movies: "What is it like to try to go back to a normal life after what happens in this movie [Infinity War]? Not to mention what happens in the next [Avengers] movie."
TCTTS
AG
So... how do we think Vision comes back for the WandaVision series? Loki, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and Hawkeye's series were set up really well, but I have no idea how Vision comes back, unless it involves time travel somehow.
TCTTS
AG
That's interesting, and good to know. Also makes sense now as to why it's the final Phase 3 movie, as it's dealing with the immediate aftermath of Endgame (psychologically speaking).

So I'm guessing that The Eternals will now be the first true forward-momentum story in Phase 4; the movie that truly feels like we're starting anew again in a post-snap world.
TCTTS
AG
Another random question...

Now that Black Widow (rumored for the May 2020 slot and about to start filming) is all but confirmed to take place in the past (again, maybe even leading up to the events of Iron Man 2), should Marvel wait to include it in the hypothetical box set of all 24 films? Won't it feel like a weird outlier if officially part of Phase 4? Seems to me it's going to fit nicely in the canon between Captain Marvel and Iron Man/Iron Man 2, while almost everything else will be carrying the story forward in a post-snap world.
TCTTS
AG
Then again, box sets are a dying breed and I'm sure most of the focus is going into Disney+. In that sense, it would be really cool if there was a way on Disney+ for the app to display the movies in chronological order instead of by release year. Start with Captain America: The First Avenger, and go from there...
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Quinn
AG
Absolutely loved Endgame. Might be my favorite MCU movie (up there with Infinity War, GoTG, and Winter Soldier). Was really nice to focus on the original Avengers and thought that the "Greatest Hits" aspect was genius.

- Paul Rudd was a ton of fun
- Knew That it would be Cap's last movie, but Iron Man's death caught me off guard. Done so well.
- audience went crazy when the backups arrived to the battle scene.
- I thought the girl power scene was cool.
- Tom Holland is so perfect as Spider-Man and makes me realize how bad the previous Spider-Mans were.
- Rocket provided a ton of heart to the movie once again.
- Thicc Thor aka Fat Mac Thor was hilarious.
MaroonStain
AG
How was Cap able to wield Thor's hammer?
Dro07
AG
He was worthy.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Winky face or not, is it possible for you to go a single thread without taking a veiled shot at someone? Even something as innocuous as me mocking myself you manage to turn into "cry for attention."
bearamedic99
AG
What If? has such great potential. I'm a little giddy.

Tales from a Mostly Eisley Cantina set in the Marvelverse
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Fair enough.
John Matrix
AG
It's a masterpiece. Pure and simple. I could write a novel on how well they stick the landing, but no one would want to read it and all of you have already done that for me basically anyway. Fat Thor? Hilarious, awesome, and kind of sad. Tony's death-affecting and perfect for his character. Caps journey home? Perfect. The final battle? Everything you'd ever want in a blockbuster.

This is so good in fact that I legitimately don't think Marvel or anyone else could possibly pass it. Which brings me to a legitimate question that I've been pondering ever since even Infinity War: how does this whole thing continue?

Thor joining the guardians seems awesome and totally fits.

Captain Falcon and bUcky could be fun

Captain Marvel is alright

Black Panther is good

.... but I just don't see how the next phase possibly lives up to what came before. As fun, perfect, and satisfying as Endgame is, its almost is so good that anything like it in comparison is going to look trivial and minor. Maybe I've just spent a decade going to these films and it's finally reached s good place to get off the ride. Who am I kidding, I'll be there first in line for Spiderman in July.
MaroonStain
AG
TCTTS said:

Fair enough.

This dude Seattle has been on a meth/cappuccino run for a few weeks now.
Dr. Horrible
C@LAg said:

TCTTS said:

Another random question...

Now that Black Widow (rumored for the May 2020 slot and about to start filming) is all but confirmed to take place in the past (again, maybe even leading up to the events of Iron Man 2), should Marvel wait to include it in the hypothetical box set of all 24 films? Won't it feel like a weird outlier if officially part of Phase 4? Seems to me it's going to fit nicely in the canon between Captain Marvel and Iron Man/Iron Man 2, while almost everything else will be carrying the story forward in a post-snap world.
or... it all occurs in the Soul Stone, Nat reliving her life and whatnot (the prequel part).

And then Captain America comes to return the Soul Stone and there is a big fight between him and the Red Skull as Steve tries to return the Soul Stone, which includes Cap punching Red Skull in his big old skull face, and Nat is freed from the Soul Stone and the Red Skull is sent inside to take her place.

nat is in the next phase.

/comic book logic 101

you are welcome.
Movie starts with her releasing from Clint's hand. She starts falling in slow motion, and the entire black widow movie ends up being her life flashing before her eyes. Ends on her laying there, or so you think, cutting to Cap coming back to return the stone like you described...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

Old Jock 1997 said:

TCTTS you are probably the best to address this.

Do you think Chris Evans is truly done? He just seems typecast to me now. Captain America made him; can he ever be anything else on screen, at least in the near term?

If he went back to an alternate reality, did he live as a more muscular but regular guy as Peggy Carter's husband or as Cpt America? Do they explore that timeline more at some point?

I probably liked Star Wars Episodes 7 & 8 more than most, but I agree with many folks that they could've given a stronger nod to fans in episode 8 with the re-introduction of Luke than they did and making him more heroic.

So did they learn from that in crafting Endgame? Was there enough time? Or will 9 somehow deliver those send-offs SW fans so desperately wanted but felt they didn't get?

I know it's different directors and producers, but it's all now Disney.

Evans is done. Based on his interviews alone, I don't see him ever coming back, and I don't want him back, either. Cap's story was PERFECT. So much better than I ever could have imagined, and there's no need to show him fighting crime and saving a different reality all over again.

As for the whole alternate reality thing, I think people are making it way more complicated than it needs to be. I think he returned all the stones, then went back to the '40s and lived out his life with Peggy. Maybe he did a few, minor heroic things here and there, but the important thing was that he learned to enjoy life. He no longer has the NEED to save EVERYONE. He's already saved our world multiple times, why does he have to keep doing so in an alternate reality? Regardless, once he lived out his life in the alternate reality (and Peggy died, I'm assuming), he then returned to his/the main timeline, maybe a day or so before we saw him, knew exactly where the guys would be, and went and sat on that bench.

As for being typecast, I don't get that impression at all. You realize he's been in quite a few other movies while starring in the MCU, right? Honestly, I think his career is just beginning. Now that he's free from the MCU, with the clout he has now, I think he's going to start landing some great roles.

Re: Cap and what he did since going back.

I think people are overlooking the fact that
a. he knows what happens and basically knows things turn out ok
and
b. anything he might do potentially messes it up bigtime (butterfly effect but magnified)

So I think he is motivated to make sure not to mess things up, he doesn't want to change what did happen or they just wasted a lot of time.

PatAg
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

So one thing that I didn't like is it felt like they were afraid to let the audience feel too sad for too long. Any time they would have something truly emotional come along, I feel like it would ultimately end with some sort of joke.

I think watching this makes me realize that I like superhero movies that have smaller stakes, to the point of at least the hero losing seems believable. We knew they weren't gonna lose to Thanos and that took me out of it just a little bit.

That being said, I don't know how you do THAT movie any better than how they did it. Yeah, maybe there are some plot holes with the time travel. But It's a family movie. If you want actual danger, go watch game of thrones. We knew they were going to win. I highly enjoyed it, and dear god that shot at the final battle was as epic as anything I've ever seen in a super hero movie.
Ever been to a funeral, or experienced a truly sad moment in your life? That's how it generally tends to go. Someone will try to break the mood with a joke.
Dr. Horrible
PatAg said:

Ever been to a funeral, or experienced a truly sad moment in your life? That's how it generally tends to go. Someone will try to break the mood with a joke.
I wasn't going to chime in on this part, but since no one else has mentioned it, Thor really did the same thing in IW when he had the scene where Rocket was asking about his family and who all he has left. So it is definitely in line with the character they set up.
PatAg
AG
AgfromHOU said:

TCTTS said:

To be completely honest, I don't see how this is ever replicated again; decades of stories/comics culminating in 11 years of movies culminating in literally the best possible finale imaginable.

Just think, Star Wars should be having that moment in December (but won't now after the fan reception of the last movie), which would have given Disney two huge cinematic endings for the two most passionate and loyal fanbases in the franchise movie industry.
They could have if they had a Kevin Feige in charge of their movies.
lazuras_dc
AG
So am I getting this right that any changes they create when they're back in time, just create an alternate universe ? So what's the point of returning the stones ? I get that the ancient one says it would F up their respective alternate universes but at that point there's so much going on is that really something they're worried about ?

Does cap just walk back to where he took the scepter from his own self and drop the stone back to himself? That's gotta he kind of weird.

Also when Thor takes his hammer back to the future with him ... in that alternate reality that Thor no longer has a hammer ?

Dro07
AG
No because cap takes the hammer back the exact moment it disappeared
The Dog Lord
AG
lazuras_dc said:

So am I getting this right that any changes they create when they're back in time, just create an alternate universe ? So what's the point of returning the stones ? I get that the ancient one says it would F up their respective alternate universes but at that point there's so much going on is that really something they're worried about ?

Does cap just walk back to where he took the scepter from his own self and drop the stone back to himself? That's gotta he kind of weird.

Also when Thor takes his hammer back to the future with him ... in that alternate reality that Thor no longer has a hammer ?

I'm trying to think less about the time travel stuff since I was getting hung up on it for awhile, but....

Was the Ancient One implying that messing with the infinity stones is the primary way to create an alternate timeline? She didn't seem too concerned (and neither did the others) about interfering with minor events of the past resulting in a butterfly effect.

I don't see how it wouldn't create a butterfly effect, so was she just saying that messing with the infinity stones essentially guarantees a catastrophic impact on that reality, whereas something like Cap living a quiet life might only have minor ripples in time (for that reality/universe/dimension)?

Also, is the consensus that Cap lived in an alternate reality before returning to this story's universe? If so, wouldn't he have needed to return to the same spot (because of the tech they used) even if he lived for decades in another reality before returning?
lazuras_dc
AG
dromo07 said:

No because cap takes the hammer back the exact moment it disappeared

Duh. Makes sense. I knew he grabbed it but thought it was more for protection rather than to return it lol.
Post removed:
by user
fig96
AG
That actually brings up another question I had. After BruceHulk tells the Ancient One that Strange gave Thanos the Time Stone, she says that she's made a mistake.

Was she talking about her mistake in that moment, or something bigger picture?
MaroonStain
AG
fig96 said:

That actually brings up another question I had. After BruceHulk tells the Ancient One that Strange gave Thanos the Time Stone, she says that she's made a mistake.

I took it as she made the mistake in giving Strange the stone.
The Dog Lord
AG
MaroonStain said:

fig96 said:

I thought it was more to do with her decisions/actions in that moment since she then quickly changed her mind about giving up the stone. She still doesn't feel good about doing it since she isn't sure if Banner/others will live to return the stone to her reality, but it seems like at that point she feels there is no other choice but to do it.
MaroonStain
AG
The Dog Lord said:

MaroonStain said:

fig96 said:

I thought it was more to do with her decisions/actions in that moment since she then quickly changed her mind about giving up the stone. She still doesn't feel good about doing it since she isn't sure if Banner/others will live to return the stone to her reality, but it seems like at that point she feels there is no other choice but to do it.

Strange gave Thanos the stone because that was the only option to win.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.