Avengers Endgame *** SPOILERS THREAD *** YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

169,143 Views | 1502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
Hulla Baller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm curious how CA returned all of the stones. I feel like returning the ether would have been kind of awkward...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

the search for Gamora suddenly made that movie even more intriguing.
My take is that the Gamora we last saw in IW remains in the Soul Stone; the Gamora we saw in EG is the older version of her prior to Guardians Vol 1, right? And Gamora was not aboard the Guardians ship at the end, nor at the Stark funeral. Did she get dusted along with Thanos? Or did I miss something that now requires a third viewing?

Which brings me to Nat. She also should be in the Soul Stone, presumably. Might Guardians Vol 3, in their search for Gamora, also come across Nat?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Does he cry?
TXAG 05
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

the search for Gamora suddenly made that movie even more intriguing.
My take is that the Gamora we last saw in IW remains in the Soul Stone; the Gamora we saw in EG is the older version of her prior to Guardians Vol 1, right? And Gamora was not aboard the Guardians ship at the end, nor at the Stark funeral. Did she get dusted along with Thanos? Or did I miss something that now requires a third viewing?

Which brings me to Nat. She also should be in the Soul Stone, presumably. Might Guardians Vol 3, in their search for Gamora, also come across Nat?

This is part of the problem with time travel. Since Thanos went to the future and gets killed, he can't kill Gamora in his future. But then since it happened in the Avengers past, does she stay dead? Or when Tony snapped, did he include her as a bad guy, since he didn't know her and wouldn't have known to save her?
Woody2006
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

This movie hit me like only one other has previously, that one being Return of the King. Both movies were the culmination of years of investment in characters and a story that touched me (and I secretly didn't want to end). Was every Marvel movie a masterpiece? Far from it, but mixed into all the ridiculous plot twists, crazy action scenes, and silly one-liners was a lot of heart for "comic book movies".

Return of the King was so touching because it was the end of a journey that I had first discovered as a kid when I read those books and got wrapped up in Tolkien's world. This MCU, although just a bunch of "comic book movies" was able to achieve the same result. I was wrapped up in this Avengers world, invested in Cap and Tony and the others. And it was just so damn fun to see these comic book heroes from my childhood come to life to kick ass and joke around together on the screen.

To see the OG Avengers characters arcs come to completion - perfectly for each one of them, IMO - was exciting, fulfilling, and more than just a little melancholy. And its also perfect that the man who was responsible for all of it, Stan Lee, finished his "story" this year as well. All of them - Cap, Tony, Natasha, Stan Lee, - will be missed dearly from future cinematic experiences.

And similar to Return of the King, the movie dragged on for 20-30 minutes longer than it should have.

I woulda been happy for it to end after Tony's funeral.
Old Jock 1997
AG
TCTTS you are probably the best to address this.

Do you think Chris Evans is truly done? He just seems typecast to me now. Captain America made him; can he ever be anything else on screen, at least in the near term?

If he went back to an alternate reality, did he live as a more muscular but regular guy as Peggy Carter's husband or as Cpt America? Do they explore that timeline more at some point?

I probably liked Star Wars Episodes 7 & 8 more than most, but I agree with many folks that they could've given a stronger nod to fans in episode 8 with the re-introduction of Luke than they did and making him more heroic.

So did they learn from that in crafting Endgame? Was there enough time? Or will 9 somehow deliver those send-offs SW fans so desperately wanted but felt they didn't get?

I know it's different directors and producers, but it's all now Disney.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Also have to add, like TCTTS said in his post and Kevin Smith says in the video above, one of the ballsiest moves of the film is keeping Thor fat the entire time and not transforming him back to the hot guy. I was shocked just like everyone else when I first saw him, but as I continued watching the movie I thought it was awesome that they didn't "magically" transform him back. And in the final battle scene getting to see this out of shape Thor turn into basically an old Viking who has seen his Glory Days bypass him but gathers his strength to kicks ass in one last final glorious battle...that was awesome and perfect and a great nod to the comics where we do see Thor turn old.
Bruce Almighty
AG
A few years ago, he said he wanted to get more involved in the directing/producing side of movies. I think he's done with Cap movies, but who knows, maybe he'll cameo.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Does he cry?

Does the Hulk s**t in the woods?
FL_Ag1998
AG
Yeah, I don't want to see Cap again, period. At all, in any fashion. Nor Nat, nor Tony. They had the perfect ending to their stories. Anything else will lessen that impact and meaning. Move on.

This is why we have Toy Story 4, even though Toy Story 3 was the perfect ending.

Phat32
AG
Got to see it. It was a damn near perfect ending, but I think I still like IW better. Will need to see how I feel about it after a rewatch.

The girl power thing was dumb and wife agreed. The smaller one in IW was way better and more organic.

Fat Thor was great. We've had 7 movies of hot Thor. Enjoyed them doing something different.

Still laughing about "Build a Bear".

Overall, damn what a movie.
Stupe
S
One comment about McCoy.

Anyone that follows a jackass like that guy and gives him a voice deserved the spoilers.
M.C. Swag
AG
You don't have to follow him. All it takes is for 1 person that you do follow to interact with that tweet and it'll pop up on your timeline.
badharambe
AG
Loved the movie. One question that popped up during the final funeral scene. There is a moment at the very back of the pack where there is a lone boy standing on the grass in front of Cobie Smulders. Anyone know who he is?
Bruce Almighty
AG
The boy in Iron Man 3.
jtstanley4621
AG
So one thing that I didn't like is it felt like they were afraid to let the audience feel too sad for too long. Any time they would have something truly emotional come along, I feel like it would ultimately end with some sort of joke.

I think watching this makes me realize that I like superhero movies that have smaller stakes, to the point of at least the hero losing seems believable. We knew they weren't gonna lose to Thanos and that took me out of it just a little bit.

That being said, I don't know how you do THAT movie any better than how they did it. Yeah, maybe there are some plot holes with the time travel. But It's a family movie. If you want actual danger, go watch game of thrones. We knew they were going to win. I highly enjoyed it, and dear god that shot at the final battle was as epic as anything I've ever seen in a super hero movie.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

So one thing that I didn't like is it felt like they were afraid to let the audience feel too sad for too long
Maybe so, but it didn't work on my 13-year-old daughter. When Black Widow fell off that cliff, she bawled for what seemed like the next hour, or however long it took for her crush to swing out of one of Dr. Strange's portals (crush being Spider-Man). And then she was bawling with joy.
Philip J Fry
AG
So does End Game get the LOTR trilogy treatment at the Oscars like ROTK did?
M.C. Swag
AG
Idk dude the first hour of that movie was pretty ****ing depressing.
Farmer1906
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Yup. I loved the tone. The took a huge L. We all needed to feel it.
djmeen95
AG
Holeee Sheeeeet!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/28/media/avengers-endgame-box-office-record/index.html

"Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Endgame" made an estimated $1.2 billion at the worldwide box office for its opening, according to Disney (DIS). It is the only film in history to cross the $1 billion mark for its debut."

$1.2 billion opening weekend. Wow.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Philip J Fry said:

So does End Game get the LOTR trilogy treatment at the Oscars like ROTK did?

Unlikely.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I feel like once this is out on bluray, they should redo the official posters/covers for both movies to actually be accurate.

Infinity War:
Replace Hulk with Banner

Endgame:
Replace Banner with Dr Hulk
Replace Thor with Fat Thor
Replace Captain Marvel's haircut
chipotle
badharambe said:

Loved the movie. One question that popped up during the final funeral scene. There is a moment at the very back of the pack where there is a lone boy standing on the grass in front of Cobie Smulders. Anyone know who he is?

The ghost from three men and a baby
jtstanley4621
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I mean definitely. But like.... tony stark does such an emotional death monologue and then... boom there's captain marvel. I guess I should have known that there's no way they'd kill Iron Man right off the bat but idk I feel like that's a good example of how they didn't let tragedy ever really hit. Another example is Thor being somehow... a funny alcoholic? Would have thought when they said the drinking he'd be in a dark place. And he sort of is but it's also like "look he's fat now too!"

Again, I liked it. A lot. I just felt like the lows weren't as low as infinity war.
Old Jock 1997
AG
And the weekend isn't over!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Only directors in history to have three $1B+ movies.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Maybe RDJ gets a best actor nom. but that's it.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Hulla Baller said:

I'm curious how CA returned all of the stones. I feel like returning the ether would have been kind of awkward...

Yeah, I realize they had to collect it at that moment so that Thor could have his come to Jesus meeting with Frigga, but it would have been so much easier to take the aether from Lady Sif at the end of Thor 2.
Stupe
S
This is the first movie in this genre where I actually felt like crying. I've gotten a little choked up before, but Stark hugging Parker got to me and the light going out really got to me.

Fantastic movie.
jeffk
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Also have to add, like TCTTS said in his post and Kevin Smith says in the video above, one of the ballsiest moves of the film is keeping Thor fat the entire time and not transforming him back to the hot guy. I was shocked just like everyone else when I first saw him, but as I continued watching the movie I thought it was awesome that they didn't "magically" transform him back. And in the final battle scene getting to see this out of shape Thor turn into basically an old Viking who has seen his Glory Days bypass him but gathers his strength to kicks ass in one last final glorious battle...that was awesome and perfect and a great nod to the comics where we do see Thor turn old.

They basically made Thor into Gimli for a whole movie. Even had the ax.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Um...im guessing they decided it was easier to extract it from Jane than to fight Lady Siff for them....
TCTTS
AG
Old Jock 1997 said:

TCTTS you are probably the best to address this.

Do you think Chris Evans is truly done? He just seems typecast to me now. Captain America made him; can he ever be anything else on screen, at least in the near term?

If he went back to an alternate reality, did he live as a more muscular but regular guy as Peggy Carter's husband or as Cpt America? Do they explore that timeline more at some point?

I probably liked Star Wars Episodes 7 & 8 more than most, but I agree with many folks that they could've given a stronger nod to fans in episode 8 with the re-introduction of Luke than they did and making him more heroic.

So did they learn from that in crafting Endgame? Was there enough time? Or will 9 somehow deliver those send-offs SW fans so desperately wanted but felt they didn't get?

I know it's different directors and producers, but it's all now Disney.

Evans is done. Based on his interviews alone, I don't see him ever coming back, and I don't want him back, either. Cap's story was PERFECT. So much better than I ever could have imagined, and there's no need to show him fighting crime and saving a different reality all over again.

As for the whole alternate reality thing, I think people are making it way more complicated than it needs to be. I think he returned all the stones, then went back to the '40s and lived out his life with Peggy. Maybe he did a few, minor heroic things here and there, but the important thing was that he learned to enjoy life. He no longer has the NEED to save EVERYONE. He's already saved our world multiple times, why does he have to keep doing so in an alternate reality? Regardless, once he lived out his life in the alternate reality (and Peggy died, I'm assuming), he then returned to his/the main timeline, maybe a day or so before we saw him, knew exactly where the guys would be, and went and sat on that bench.

As for being typecast, I don't get that impression at all. You realize he's been in quite a few other movies while starring in the MCU, right? Honestly, I think his career is just beginning. Now that he's free from the MCU, with the clout he has now, I think he's going to start landing some great roles.
M.C. Swag
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

M.C. Swag said:

I mean definitely. But like.... tony stark does such an emotional death monologue and then... boom there's captain marvel. I guess I should have known that there's no way they'd kill Iron Man right off the bat but idk I feel like that's a good example of how they didn't let tragedy ever really hit. Another example is Thor being somehow... a funny alcoholic? Would have thought when they said the drinking he'd be in a dark place. And he sort of is but it's also like "look he's fat now too!"

Again, I liked it. A lot. I just felt like the lows weren't as low as infinity war.
hmm we're 180 on this. Captain Marvel showing up to save Tony wasn't a tonal shift (it was a bit of contrived convenience but wasn't a tonally jarring moment). And the movie opened with Hawkeye losing his family so i'm not sure I understand where you're coming from.

As far as Thor being a 'funny alcoholic' I think you're missing the mark. Using humor to cover the wounds of defeat and depression is not only within the character DNA for Thor, but it's also a real life coping mechanism. The humor was a shallow defense for the deeper tragedy. It was genuinely sad (to me at least) seeing a god debase himself and essentially give up every great aspiration. Even if all of that was being masked by a 'funny alcoholic.'

It's your opinion, so I can't say you're wrong, but I personally felt like the tone that was carried throughout the movie was one of the best aspects of the film.
phatpat21
Jeff, you watched it?!?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.