Avengers Endgame *** SPOILERS THREAD *** YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

170,026 Views | 1502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"I am Iron Man" is also the last lines of Iron Man 3.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Really? He looked age-appropriate to me. Slattery was 55 when he filmed this movie. All they did was die his hair. I'm 38 and I sure as hell hope I don't look that old (though I would kill to look like Slattery when I'm 55).

(Btw, I was once at my favorite movie theater's bar with a friend, having a drink, waiting for our movie to start. Slattery came and sat in the empty stool right next to me, ordered a drink, and for 15 minutes it felt like I was in an episode of Mad Men. I don't know if I've ever felt cooler. He had a really sleek iPhone case, too, and I asked him where he got it. He didn't know, but was super nice.)
Might've been just me, or maybe it was the hair. But yeah, he felt young to me there.
Saxsoon
AG
fig96 said:

TCTTS said:

People have pointed out that the car that drove in front of the house where Cap and Carter were dancing was from the '40s, as was the music (I think), and the overall vibe. I guess it could have been the '70s, though, and it wouldn't make much of a difference. Same basic scenario.
That was actually one thing that bothered me a bit when Cap and Tony went back to 1970.

If we look back at First Avenger, both Peggy and Howard Stark would've been at least 25 or so in 1945 (and I'd think at least Stark was a bit older). Add 25 years to that and they're both 50+ in 1970, but Stark looked to be somewhere in his late 30s.

A little nitpicky I suppose, but that jus

t seemed off.

Peggy looked great for 50 something
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
TexasAggie_02
AG
Trident 88 said:

Captain Marvel is a lesbian, right? I don't know if that was actually confirmed in her movie, but her new hairdo definitely sends a clear signal. And of course, her deadpan delivery is a sure sign that she's from the same tribe as Marjorie from Veep.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/46533/brie-larson-we-gotta-move-faster-have-more-lgbt-hank-berrien
wangus12
AG
JayHowdy! said:

CJS4715 said:

I like Falcon, and I thought it made a ton of sense.
But Falcon has zero superhero skills. Do you think that Falcon could have gone toe to toe with Thanos? Without his flying suit and guns he is just another guy, trying to stop an alien invasion. Now, he only has a shield to hide behind as Thanos dropkicks him into next week.

For comparison, Batman has zero superhero skills as well. But its easy to say that Falcon is in prime physical condition with extensive combat training. Dude was special ops before he joined the Avengers and has now training with Cap for ~5 years.
PatAg
AG
If you want strong characters to represent you, go out and write them.
Farmer1906
AG
JayHowdy! said:

CJS4715 said:

I like Falcon, and I thought it made a ton of sense.
But Falcon has zero superhero skills. Do you think that Falcon could have gone toe to toe with Thanos? Without his flying suit and guns he is just another guy, trying to stop an alien invasion. Now, he only has a shield to hide behind as Thanos dropkicks him into next week.

Rogers was getting wrecked by Thanos with his strength and shield. He just happen to be worthy of being a god and landed some good blows.

Thanks shouldn't be the bar.

The 3 goes he's faced in his trilogy are Red Skull, Winter Soldier, and Iron Man. I think Falcon would be an underdog to all 3, but you could write him winning any of those and it wouldn't be a huge deal. His fire power and flight give him an edge over red skull & Bucky even though he couldn't fight hand to hand with them. Early IM would be somewhat fair, but endgame IM is too overpowered.

I think Cap Falcon will face more street level foes with his sidekick Bucky. It'll be a nice change of pace to not battle universe ending gods.
bangobango
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

Question on Professor Hulk...

Doesn't Hulk supposedly get stronger the more angry he gets? The more rage, the more monster?

Is super smart in control Hulk nearly as physically strong as green rage monster Hulk?
He was noticeably smaller as Professor Hulk than he was when they traveled back to New York during the first Avenger movie, so I think there is something to that.
rhutton125
AG
Captain Marvel has short hair in the comics at times. She's not a lesbian, but they could make her one if they wanted to. But the hair doesn't signal her sexual preferences any more than Tony Stark's beard made him a beatnik in 1970.

Google "Captain Marvel 2012" and you'll see the run where she had the haircut. I think she's had that hairstyle ever since but I could be wrong.
TCTTS
AG
She also dated Rhodey in the comics and there's a slight indication that they might care for each other as more than just co-workers when they're both holograms talking to Black Widow.
jackie childs
Juan Solo said:

wangus12 said:

What was not realistic about Tony's funeral? The gathering of heroes to honor a fallen comrade?
Drax wearing a shirt obviously.
i didn't notice, did it have cut outs for his sensitive nipples?
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Remember when Katherine Langford was cast in a super secret role in Endgame?

I read that her character was supposedly Tony's daughter grown up, and that perhaps he encounters her at the end in the soul stone (which doesn't make much sense), but it did get me thinking that I good way to wrap up Black Widow's story would have been if Banner (and it would be Banner, not professor Hulk) got to see her in the soul stone after the snap (like Thanos and Gamora in IW), and they got a last goodbye. I am wondering if that was the plan, but due to the tension that is building in that moment, they had to cut that or something. Otherwise, her soul stone sacrifice and shot-for-shot, beat for beat like Gamora's, which I like a lot.

Anyway, does anyone know what role Langford was supposed to play that got cut?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow, that's a really good point and would've been a great scene. I wonder why Thanos entered the soul stone realm but Banner didn't.

Maybe that only happens if the snapper is the person who made the sacrifice.
fig96
AG
veryfuller said:

Remember when Katherine Langford was cast in a super secret role in Endgame?

I read that her character was supposedly Tony's daughter grown up, and that perhaps he encounters her at the end in the soul stone (which doesn't make much sense), but it did get me thinking that I good way to wrap up Black Widow's story would have been if Banner (and it would be Banner, not professor Hulk) got to see her in the soul stone after the snap (like Thanos and Gamora in IW), and they got a last goodbye. I am wondering if that was the plan, but due to the tension that is building in that moment, they had to cut that or something. Otherwise, her soul stone sacrifice and shot-for-shot, beat for beat like Gamora's, which I like a lot.

Anyway, does anyone know what role Langford was supposed to play that got cut?
She posted a pic on Instagram as a redhead, hence the speculation that she was their daughter. There were also theories that she might be Kate Bishop or Moondragon (not familiar with her).

No one actually knows though.
PDWT_12
AG
Picturing that scene in my head, and man it really could have been amazing. I could see Banner trying to get her to come back with him, not really understanding. And after they talk for a bit, she just says "Suns getting real low big guy." Then he snaps back awake right as Thano's ship unloads on the HQ.
israeliag
AG
Interview with the writers:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/movies/avengers-endgame-questions-and-answers.html
PatAg
AG
PDWT_12 said:

Picturing that scene in my head, and man it really could have been amazing. I could see Banner trying to get her to come back with him, not really understanding. And after they talk for a bit, she just says "Suns getting real low big guy." Then he snaps back awake right as Thano's ship unloads on the HQ.
please god no
PDWT_12
AG
Was not aware the "lullaby" was a controversial line in the MCU. But fair enough. Still think the scene could have been really cool.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Controversial how?
TCTTS
AG

https://www.slashfilm.com/endgame-sets-up-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3/
TCTTS
AG

http://lrmonline.com/news/could-an-avengers-endgame-easter-egg-be-hinting-at-a-rumored-future-character-spoilers/
PDWT_12
AG
Poor choice of words on my part. Should have said disliked or something, as evidenced by the "please god no" response.

The line works fine in my head canon.
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

https://www.slashfilm.com/endgame-sets-up-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3/
Something good. Something Bad. Bit of both

Quote:

Look, I'm not big on 'shipping, but I'm just putting this out there: Nebula and Rocket need to fall in love and get it on. I don't want to hear you throw around the term bestiality, either, because he's not even a real raccoon (right?), and she's some sort of robot (I think?). In other words, their love is fair game, and it would be perfectly acceptable if they were to smooch.
TCTTS
AG

http://collider.com/avengers-endgame-namor-mcu/
israeliag
AG
israeliag said:

Interview with the writers:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/movies/avengers-endgame-questions-and-answers.html

Quote:

Journey's End

Why does Natasha Romanoff have to die?
McFEELY Her journey, in our minds, had come to an end if she could get the Avengers back. She comes from such an abusive, terrible, mind-control background, so when she gets to Vormir and she has a chance to get the family back, that's a thing she would trade for. The toughest thing for us was we were always worried that people weren't going to have time to be sad enough. The stakes are still out there and they haven't solved the problem. But we lost a big character a female character how do we honor it? We have this male lens and it's a lot of guys being sad that a woman died.
MARKUS Tony gets a funeral. Natasha doesn't. That's partly because Tony's this massive public figure and she's been a cipher the whole time. It wasn't necessarily honest to the character to give her a funeral. The biggest question about it is what Thor raises there on the dock. "We have the Infinity Stones. Why don't we just bring her back?"
McFEELY But that's the everlasting exchange. You bring her back, you lose the stone.
Was there a possible outcome where Clint Barton sacrifices himself instead of her?
McFEELY There was, for sure. Jen Underdahl, our visual effects producer, read an outline or draft where Hawkeye goes over. And she goes, "Don't you take this away from her." I actually get emotional thinking about it.
MARKUS And it was true, it was him taking the hit for her. It was melodramatic to have him die and not get his family back. And it is only right and proper that she's done.

And Tony Stark has to die as well?
McFEELY Everyone knew this was going to be the end of Tony Stark.
MARKUS I don't think there were any mandates. If we had a good reason to not do it, certainly people would have entertained it.
McFEELY The watchword was, end this chapter, and he started the chapter.
MARKUS In a way, he has been the mirror of Steve Rogers the entire time. Steve is moving toward some sort of enlightened self-interest, and Tony's moving to selflessness. They both get to their endpoints.

Were there any other outcomes you considered for Tony?
MARKUS No. Because we had the opportunity to give him the perfect retirement life, within the movie.
McFEELY He got that already.
MARKUS That's the life he's been striving for. Are he and Pepper going to get together? Yes. They got married, they had a kid, it was great. It's a good death. It doesn't feel like a tragedy. It feels like a heroic, finished life.

And Cap was always going to be allowed his happy ending with Peggy Carter?
McFEELY From the very first outline, we knew he was going to get his dance. On a separate subject, I started to lose my barometer on what was just fan service and what was good for the character. Because I think it's good for the characters. But we also just gave you what you wanted. Is that good? I don't know. But I'll tell you, it's satisfying. He's postponed a life in order to fulfill his duty. That's why I didn't think we were ever going to kill him. Because that's not the arc. The arc is, I finally get to put my shield down because I've earned that.
MARKUS A hero without sacrifice, you're not going to get the miles out of that person that you need to for these movies. That's what makes them a hero, it's not the powers.
TCTTS
AG
rhutton125
AG
I can't believe people wanted Deadpool to show up in this. I'm so glad Reddit and TexAgs don't get to write these films!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
rhutton125 said:

I can't believe people wanted Deadpool to show up in this. I'm so glad Reddit and TexAgs don't get to write these films!

speaking of Deadpool.......

Firefist said he dreamed of being a superhero before he realized that there were no plus-sized heroes.

Thor: Hold My Beer.... no I mean I'll hold my beer.

TCTTS
AG
Just did a Twitter search for info/articles and the basic consensus is "No clue." Just FYI, she was never "officially" cast. The Wrap - not Marvel - broke the casting news initially, and they're right 99% of the time, but maybe they simply got this one wrong.
jackie childs
israeliag said:

Quote:

Journey's End

Why does Natasha Romanoff have to die?
McFEELY Her journey, in our minds, had come to an end if she could get the Avengers back. She comes from such an abusive, terrible, mind-control background, so when she gets to Vormir and she has a chance to get the family back, that's a thing she would trade for. The toughest thing for us was we were always worried that people weren't going to have time to be sad enough. The stakes are still out there and they haven't solved the problem. But we lost a big character a female character how do we honor it? We have this male lens and it's a lot of guys being sad that a woman died.
MARKUS Tony gets a funeral. Natasha doesn't. That's partly because Tony's this massive public figure and she's been a cipher the whole time. It wasn't necessarily honest to the character to give her a funeral. The biggest question about it is what Thor raises there on the dock. "We have the Infinity Stones. Why don't we just bring her back?"
McFEELY But that's the everlasting exchange. You bring her back, you lose the stone.

you can't bring back present day Nat, but you could go grab 2014 Nat and bring her back, right? that's exactly what they did with Gamora and it hasn't messed anything up...at least not yet.
TCTTS
AG
Would it even have to be 2014 Nat? Couldn't they technically travel back to just before the initial time heist and grab THAT Nat?

(Which I'm not advocating, btw - I think she should stay dead - just saying.)
TexasAggie_02
AG
i can't wait for all the fat Thor cosplay that will inevitably occur from this
TCTTS
AG
Speaking of, I can't remember how 2014 Thanos time traveled to the present. I know 2014 Nebula obviously took present-day Nebula's place and used her suit, but I'm blanking on the sequence of events that allowed Thanos & co to show up on his ship in the present day as well.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Wait, but if they did that, wouldn't that cause a lot of branches? There would be the possibility of the 2014 branch where you grab her, and then there would a timeline where they don't get the stone now, so they can't undo the snap and possibly can't return the stones they did get because of it, and on and on....

They really did play a little too loose with the time travel for this to not have some major head scratching repercussions in a connected cinematic universe.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
2014 Nebula messed with the machine and pulled them through while everyone else was distracted while Hulk was about to snap.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.