Avengers Endgame *** SPOILERS THREAD *** YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

167,982 Views | 1502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed. My take as well.
The Dog Lord
AG
The Dog Lord said:

lazuras_dc said:

So am I getting this right that any changes they create when they're back in time, just create an alternate universe ? So what's the point of returning the stones ? I get that the ancient one says it would F up their respective alternate universes but at that point there's so much going on is that really something they're worried about ?

Does cap just walk back to where he took the scepter from his own self and drop the stone back to himself? That's gotta he kind of weird.

Also when Thor takes his hammer back to the future with him ... in that alternate reality that Thor no longer has a hammer ?

I'm trying to think less about the time travel stuff since I was getting hung up on it for awhile, but....

Was the Ancient One implying that messing with the infinity stones is the primary way to create an alternate timeline? She didn't seem too concerned (and neither did the others) about interfering with minor events of the past resulting in a butterfly effect.

I don't see how it wouldn't create a butterfly effect, so was she just saying that messing with the infinity stones essentially guarantees a catastrophic impact on that reality, whereas something like Cap living a quiet life might only have minor ripples in time (for that reality/universe/dimension)?

Also, is the consensus that Cap lived in an alternate reality before returning to this story's universe? If so, wouldn't he have needed to return to the same spot (because of the tech they used) even if he lived for decades in another reality before returning?

Just read an article that may explain my question about Cap. They say that he still lived in the "main" reality even after going back to the past. He didn't need to return to the that reality later, he simply needed to be at that spot at the given time. I guess he simply stayed hidden for his life knowing that the frozen version of himself existed in that same reality and would take care of the superhero stuff.

That said, does that mean that old Steve has to exist all along in this reality?
rhutton125
AG
Re: Vision being rebuilt. A few ideas:

- Rebuild him in Wakanda, whether or not they were able to salvage all of his memories/personality in IW
- Wanda can manipulate his vibranium, apparently, so maybe she can bring life back to him
- Wanda can also, in the conics, manipulate reality to some extent. Perhaps Vision's return and a life together are all in a dream world, so to speak - or something similar that would justify an awful series title like WandaVision.

There is a comic precedent for a rebuilt Vision without the personality, so to speak - who has memories of a life with Wanda, but no love or feelings of significance. He also has grey/white skin. So I almost assume they'll go that route. Maybe he's rebuilt and somehow, by the end of the series, he rediscovers his emotions and love for her? So maybe that way we get to experience it genuinely, where we missed it between Civil War and IW?

Vision is my favorite in the comics, so I hope they're able to do it justice and make their relationship mean something.
Saxsoon
AG
1.2B opening weekend global, 350m domestic
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
tamusc
AG
TCTTS said:

So... how do we think Vision comes back for the WandaVision series?
I think we'll get something similar to The Vision comic run where Vision tries to live a normal life in the suburbs with an android family. We might initially get no explanation to his return and the series will open as something like a sitcom. From there, there they could start showing cracks in reality and it turns out to completely be a creation of Wanda using her powers.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-vision-is-one-of-the-most-unsettling-comics-ive-rea-1740684807
tamusc
AG
Saxsoon said:

1.2B opening weekend global, 350m domestic
maca1028
Bravo!!!
fig96
AG
One thing I wondered about during the film: how were some characters able to hold the Infinity Stones?

In Guardians of the Galaxy we saw The Collector's assistant destroyed by the Power Stone, yet several characters in Endgame were able to hold them. Hawkeye was given the Soul Stone so that makes sense, and the Hulk is probably powerful enough to actually hold a stone.

Or is it only certain stones (i.e. Power Stone) that have that kind of energy?
maca1028
We didn't stay for the end credits audio. What was it?
Dro07
AG
Tony clacking the metal suit in the cave from the first Ironman is the best guess
tamusc
AG
maca1028 said:

We didn't stay for the end credits audio. What was it?
Audio of metal being hammered. Sounded like Stark working on the Mk 1 armor in the cave in Afghanistan.
Phat32
AG
fig96 said:

One thing I wondered about during the film: how were some characters able to hold the Infinity Stones?

In Guardians of the Galaxy we saw The Collector's assistant destroyed by the Power Stone, yet several characters in Endgame were able to hold them. Hawkeye was given the Soul Stone so that makes sense, and the Hulk is probably powerful enough to actually hold a stone.

Or is it only certain stones (i.e. Power Stone) that have that kind of energy?
Had the same question. It was supposed to kill the GoTG guys if they touched it.
MandoArms
I thought just the power stone was the one could hold. When they stole that one it was in the same case Star Lord had it in.
IG: mando_arms
jackie childs
MrPlow2010 said:

Shout out to the rat that saved the universe. Couldn't have done it without him.

Amazing movie. Can't wait to see it again.
not just any rat..that's going to be the opening scene to the live action Ratatouille film
Max Power
AG
It was pretty close to perfect for me, I loved it. A perfect culmination/farewell for all the time I've spent with these characters over the years that I have so much affection for.

Had a lot of the same feelings from watching A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. I'm dreading and excited for the battle of Winterfell this evening. Might be a mistake seeing both of those today.

A worthy final chapter, just like Logan, which I also love tremendously.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Valkyrie to Hulk: "I think I preferred you either of the other ways"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Max Power said:

It was pretty close to perfect for me, I loved it. A perfect culmination/farewell for all the time I've spent with these characters over the years that I have so much affection for.

Had a lot of the same feelings from watching A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. I'm dreading and excited for the battle of Winterfell this evening. Might be a mistake seeing both of those today.

A worthy final chapter, just like Logan, which I also love tremendously.

Agreed. My only gripe though, I wish it would have had Luis doing some recapping.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Max Power
AG
Also, did anyone else notice Matthew Berry from ESPN as the agent right next to Redford? Not sure if there were other cameos but I noticed him.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Max Power said:

Also, did anyone else notice Matthew Berry from ESPN as the agent right next to Redford? Not sure if there were other cameos but I noticed him.

Ken Jeong as the guard at the storage place (from Community of course)

And the lady from Community in the elevator scene.

Of course Stan Lee as a hippie in the car going by the military base yelling 'Peace" or whatever.
TCTTS
AG
Joe Russo - one of the directors - was the one who spoke of going on a date during the support group Cap was leading. And one of the other guys in the meeting was the creator of Thanos in the comics, I think.
GreasenUSA
AG
TCTTS said:

Joe Russo - one of the directors - was the one who spoke of going on a date during the support group Cap was leading. And one of the other guys in the meeting was the creator of Thanos in the comics, I think.
Yep, Jim Starlin.
Sex Panther
AG
dromo07 said:

Tony clacking the metal suit in the cave from the first Ironman is the best guess

It was... A nice final tribute as Tony hammering in the cave 11 years ago was the creation of Iron Man and therefore the entire MCU.
redd38
AG
Max Power said:

I agree, I think it was a perfect ending. Even better than I had imagined it would be.

It's still not my favorite movie of all time or anything, but it was perfect.
Fairview
AG
Only way it could've been more perfect is if Deadpool showed up.
Post removed:
by user
AustinAg2K
Kind of a technicality, but I feel like Black Widow sacrificing herself should not have worked to bring back the Soul Stone. Hawkeye tried to save her. He didn't sacrifice her. She sacrificed herself. My understanding was you have to give up what you love most, which he didn't really do. I realize it's a really minor point, but I felt one of them had to push the other off to get the stone.
texasaggie04
AG
Just finished the movie. Saw it in Costa Rica (subtitles), which was interesting. There were just a few things I need to think more on.

1. I'm not sure that anything was really "resolved." Somebody mentioned it a few pages back, but they just doubled the population of the universe where things were already chaotic from the aftermath of the snap. I wonder if that will be addressed at all in future movies... I mean, if food production was working at 50% or less for five years and then sjdde suddenly you have twice as many mouths to feed, that's a major problem.

2. I understood the time travel bit that alternative time lines don't exist, except in the case of the infinity stones. So it didn't matter that the past was changed, they always remained on the same time line. That's what they were talking about with all the movie references. The exception is infinity stones, those can create alternate time lines. That was the conversation that Bruce was having with the ancient one. Which means that even Loki having the tesseract didn't matter because the infinity stone still remained in the same point in time. This means that captain America returned the tesseract to 1970, then went to live his life in the 1940s with Peggy. Then I assume upon her death, he just rejoined the normal time line through his GPS band.

3. I kinda feel like five years later was a bit much. Maybe that's me being picky. That's long enough that life would have started moving on more, and strange enough that people who weren't dusted aged a lot compared to those who were. I feel like two years would have been a better gap to me. Five years points back to my thought number one above.
Urban Ag
AG
How awesome is Chris Hemsworth?

He actually pulled off depressed, emotional, fat Thor. Without a hitch.

I have so many questions but I am just exhausted and still have S8E3 GOT to watch tonight.
Fairview
AG
third coast.. said:

or alex trebek

Yeah, yeah. posted on the wrong thread initially.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Some of you make me sad that you put so much needless thought into the details of these movies that you can't truly enjoy them to their fullest.
Philip J Fry
AG
What about people dusted in a plane? Did they come back in mid air? That would suck
_lefraud_
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Just finished the movie. Saw it in Costa Rica (subtitles), which was interesting. There were just a few things I need to think more on.

1. I'm not sure that anything was really "resolved." Somebody mentioned it a few pages back, but they just doubled the population of the universe where things were already chaotic from the aftermath of the snap. I wonder if that will be addressed at all in future movies... I mean, if food production was working at 50% or less for five years and then sjdde suddenly you have twice as many mouths to feed, that's a major problem.

2. I understood the time travel bit that alternative time lines don't exist, except in the case of the infinity stones. So it didn't matter that the past was changed, they always remained on the same time line. That's what they were talking about with all the movie references. The exception is infinity stones, those can create alternate time lines. That was the conversation that Bruce was having with the ancient one. Which means that even Loki having the tesseract didn't matter because the infinity stone still remained in the same point in time. This means that captain America returned the tesseract to 1970, then went to live his life in the 1940s with Peggy. Then I assume upon her death, he just rejoined the normal time line through his GPS band.

3. I kinda feel like five years later was a bit much. Maybe that's me being picky. That's long enough that life would have started moving on more, and strange enough that people who weren't dusted aged a lot compared to those who were. I feel like two years would have been a better gap to me. Five years points back to my thought number one above.
Kramer
AG
How does Tony get the stones at the end? They are in the gauntlet on Thanos' hand, then...poof...they are in Tony's suit hand. Did he already have that part of his suit made? Did he snatch the stones out because he's also a magician?

The whole Nat piece was weird. Yes, she sacrificed herself and that doesn't seem to fit the bill of giving up someone you love. Although, it does make perfect sense she would do that. It didn't make sense that Hawkeye put up a fight about it. He has a family.

In that vein, I would have preferred that Cap put the gauntlet on and sacrifice himself. Tony has a family. And he already sacrificed himself in Avengers (lucky to have gotten back).

Didn't like the Thor change. Just seemed pointless. Also didn't understand why he abdicated the throne.

While the Hulk was entertaining, it was weird.

All that work to get Capt Marvel into the storyline, and that's all she had. Laughable.

Why does Pepper have a suit? Did Oprah have a show where she handed out suits to everybody?

I thought it was OK, but I certainly didn't feel it was incredible.
"The only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie." Shelby Metcalf
Dro07
AG
Tony made her a suit. The daughter was wearing the mask and Tony says that mommy never wears the things he makes for her.
Hulla Baller
AG
Kramer said:

How does Tony get the stones at the end? They are in the gauntlet on Thanos' hand, then...poof...they are in Tony's suit hand. Did he already have that part of his suit made? Did he snatch the stones out because he's also a magician?

The whole Nat piece was weird. Yes, she sacrificed herself and that doesn't seem to fit the bill of giving up someone you love. Although, it does make perfect sense she would do that. It didn't make sense that Hawkeye put up a fight about it. He has a family.

In that vein, I would have preferred that Cap put the gauntlet on and sacrifice himself. Tony has a family. And he already sacrificed himself in Avengers (lucky to have gotten back).

Didn't like the Thor change. Just seemed pointless. Also didn't understand why he abdicated the throne.

While the Hulk was entertaining, it was weird.

All that work to get Capt Marvel into the storyline, and that's all she had. Laughable.

Why does Pepper have a suit? Did Oprah have a show where she handed out suits to everybody?

I thought it was OK, but I certainly didn't feel it was incredible.

I just assumed since Tony made the glove he knew how to remove the stones quickly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.