Avengers Endgame *** SPOILERS THREAD *** YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

170,017 Views | 1502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
Tmoneyag99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe they all got dusted too. We never see them until they're reunited.
Liquid Wrench
C@LAg said:

Agreed. It was composed really weird, like all of the actors were not there together, which they likely weren't. But the composition is very disjointed and obvious
Yeah, I don't know if I'm explaining my view well enough for anyone who didn't read a lot of Marvel comics back in the day, but it looked to me like a live action version of one of those pages. Almost a live-action still life, if that makes any sense.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
D12Lloyd
AG
When Cap goes back to be with Peggy that creates a new timeline. He time hops from that timeline when he's older to the main timeline and arrives on the bench moments after he left. The ancient one and hulk both explain that you cant change the future when you go back in the past. You only create alternate realities. I think Banner's line was you would be living your future in the past.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

That said, we did not get a funeral for Nat.

That was interesting. I guess the first Iron Man movie was the one that proved the commercial viability of these films, they decided to end it with his death. Especially with how much of the saga ended up involving Stark family history.

Kind of felt like the extended DVD version of the final Lord of the Rings movie where we got like 3 separate endings.

I really want to rewatch this at home w/ fast forward and rewind to see if I can make more sense of some of the scenes that seemed choppy or crammed in. And also to be able to go to the bathroom without missing a chunk of the action.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AMW2010
AG
Watching iron man now...wondering how long the plan for end game was in place... some of the things in iron man hit the heart strings even more... when tony ask pepper to go to his computer and recover some files, and she's like I quit, And then she's like you are gonna kill youself and he's like I have to save the people!! Then she's all like you're all I have you know!
fretyuioz
Well, Hulk threw a bench in the lake after her death. So there's that..
Liquid Wrench
AMW2010 said:

Watching iron man now...wondering how long the plan for end game was in place... some of the things in iron man hit the heart strings even more... when tony ask pepper to go to his computer and recover some files, and she's like I quit, And then she's like you are gonna kill youself and he's like I have to save the people!! Then she's all like you're all I have you know!
My guess is that they played a lot of it by ear when they started realizing how big the audience could be, and then tried to fit it all back together. But i don't really know and don't read much of the insider content.
fig96
AG
Just back from our showing and that was...epic.

This needed to be Tony and Steve's story and it was. So many great moments, and Tony sacrificing himself really brings his character full circle.

And Cap with Mjolnr is one of the coolest things I've seen in a Marvel film.

"I KNEW IT!!"
MBAR
AG
Truvada_for_prep said:

does the next capt america follow the comics or is it sjw bs?
Was waiting for this post. Was starting to think I might have been a bit wrong about Texags.

Nope.
PatAg
AG
AustinAg2K said:

C@LAg said:

I mean, seriously. Age of Ultron has to be at least worst than this.

To each their own. I haven't seen Age of Ultron on years, but I remember thinking it was just ok, but not really being bored during it. I found the first hour and a half of this one to be kind of boring. I enjoy most of the Marvel movies so I don't have a problem with suspending belief and overlooking minor plot holes, but it really annoyed me how they gave no explanation for how Scott Lang got out of the quantum zone...
I'm not normally one that likes when others go around correcting people on threads like this, but your idiotic posts have allowed this to happen. If you didn't see how he got out, then you just weren't paying attention. and it makes one question what else you weren't paying attention to.
PatAg
AG
Hail Hydra alone is enough to make this a good movie
TCTTS
AG
This is the new blockbuster benchmark.

And one of the top five theater-going experiences of my life.

It will be years - maybe even a decade, if not far longer - before we get something this massive, this clever, this sentimental, this funny, and this awesome again in terms of long-form blockbuster filmmaking. To be completely honest, I don't see how this is ever replicated again; decades of stories/comics culminating in 11 years of movies culminating in literally the best possible finale imaginable.

I'm just in awe at how utterly perfect that was.

And the crowd... oh, man, the crowd... I've never seen a movie with an audience this into it before. There was SO MUCH cheering throughout, but when Cap wielded Mjiolnir, in particular, the eruption was literally on the level of a football game, it was so loud. Granted, this was LA at the Chinese Theater on opening weekend, so it's definitely skewed, but the crowd absolutely lost their minds like nothing I've ever heard or experienced in LA before, on multiple occasions. It's hard to put into words just how insanely memorable and fun this experience was.

And the movie itself literally could not have been any better. Each character and each thread has the EXACT right arc and the EXACT right ending. Overall, it's just so damn satisfying in every regard. The plotting, the set-ups, the callbacks, the winks... it's all just such staggeringly smart and clever storytelling.

Man, what a movie.
TCTTS
AG
And just for the record, because I know people will b*tch, when I say "perfect," I mean in terms of the storytelling. Of course all the time travel stuff was a little hand-wavey and "imperfect," scientifically speaking, but whatever. The magic and the charm of it all more than made up for it, though.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg said:

OK TCTTS should be in his movie now.

We all know he is going to love this.

But the real question is...Does he like Thicc Thor or hate Thicc Thor.

I am going to say he likes Thicc Thor....

Ha, out of all the crazy things in this movie, why am *I* getting singled out for this?

That said... you're right. Thicc Thor was amazing. The fact that they stuck to their guns and kept the gag for the entire movie made him even better. Especially toward the end, when they could have easily transformed him back with the lightning and all that, but nope. So good.
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg said:

so disappointed you just cut and pasted that.

I really expected your first post in here to be like a three page dissertation. I guess we will get that tomorrow.

Ha, I changed one thing, which was an answer to Social Media Influencer's question in the other thread.

And this is it. No dissertation this go around. I just read all 16 pages and everything has already been said. Too many phenomenal moments to recount, and there's really no analyzation needed. I just want to bask in this movie's greatness for a while.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
I will echo a sentiment I've seen shared a few times in the thread, which is basically to say that the MCU from here on out is something I'm afraid I'll be far less interested in going forward. Endgame was so good, and came to such a perfect conclusion, that if money and shareholders somehow weren't a factor for Disney, I almost wish this really was the end. Because nothing else in the MCU will ever come close to this again. This was it. This was the peak, for as long the MCU exists.

The one movie I absolutely cannot wait for is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, especially if Thor is involved. But even if not, the search for Gamora suddenly made that movie even more intriguing. In many ways, metaphorically speaking, the MCU was the concert, Endgame was the greatest hits medley/finale, and GotG3 will feel a lot like an encore; like some kind of bonus end to the story, featuring some of my favorite characters. And yes, I'm definitely looking forward to Spider-Man: Far From Home as well, but nothing else on the slate so far really piques my interest. Like, at all. I'm sure I'll watch most if not all of them theatrically, and will give all the Disney+ series a shot, but without the true core cast of characters, and all the dynamics we've come to know and love over the past 11 years, it'll never be quite the same.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, tomorrow I'm definitely going to fire up that 25-minutes analysis video someone posted earlier.
Liquid Wrench
It seemed like they were consciously putting an end to a saga with his one. Like you said, it was kind of a greatest hits album.
They set up enough possibility for future films, but this felt like a resolution that can let them take time to do whatever comes next.
TCTTS
AG
For sure. But given what we know of the pieces left on the board, I'm just not that interested as of yet. Save for GotG3 and Spider-Man 2&3, what else is there in terms of genuine excitement/big-picture forward momentum?

- Black Panther 2 - Will be decent, I'm sure, but I'm not really invested/interested in any of the characters.

- Black Widow - We know it's a prequel now, so it'll basically just fill a gap in the mid-to-late '00s / Infinity Saga.

- Captain Marvel 2 - No thanks.

- Doctor Strange 2 - Could not care less.

- The Eternals - This is the only one that somewhat intrigues me, but only because I have absolutely no idea what it's about. Surely Marvel has fairly big plans for this, and I can see it opening up some new avenue in the MCU, but until then, it's squarely in the "meh" category.

If Thor 4: More Thor happens, I'm of course all in, but it's not a given that it's happening yet. Even if it does, I'll still only genuinely be looking forward to four of the next nine potential movies.

At the very least, it would help if Marvel would go ahead and finally announce the next the next few years at either Comic-Con or D23 later this summer. When they do, I'm sure there will be a few surprises, but I wonder if we'll ever be able to get over the B-Team vibe going forward...
bearamedic99
AG
The more I reflect on this movie, the more I think the timeline cleanliness will be issue by which this movie is judged.

They threw out the girl power scene to be an issue on which others judge the movie but really who cares? It was less organic than in IW but still plausible.

I felt they were too cavalier with letting Steve go return the stones by himself though he is so recognizable. Did they explain how easy it would be to jump from one time stream to another, especially after years have passed? I guess it comes down to if you believe Steve was Peggy's husband all along or in a separate time stream (I believe the latter). If a separate time stream, then maybe they should have had someone help him to this stream like Dr Strange, Stan Lee in an angel costume, or someone new. They could have shown Steve flashing in with that person, then Bucky watching that person vanish.

Just my geek thoughts.

PS- can you imagine the outrage if the gender of America's ass was flipped?

AgfromHOU
AG
TCTTS said:

To be completely honest, I don't see how this is ever replicated again; decades of stories/comics culminating in 11 years of movies culminating in literally the best possible finale imaginable.

Just think, Star Wars should be having that moment in December (but won't now after the fan reception of the last movie), which would have given Disney two huge cinematic endings for the two most passionate and loyal fanbases in the franchise movie industry.
bearamedic99
AG
Sorry. One more thought.

As a lot of people have said, it would have been hard to imagine Cap sitting quietly at home during different crisis. We need a couple shorts (maybe in What If?) of hammer time Steve in the past.
ChimbosAg
AG
exitone said:

Question: who was the Asian kid standing with Clint and his family at the funeral? Does this tie back to the comics?

Does anyone have an answer for this?
Also, this is not the kid who was in IM3. Harley Keener was standing alone in this scene.
TajMaballer
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Sorry. One more thought.

As a lot of people have said, it would have been hard to imagine Cap sitting quietly at home during different crisis. We need a couple shorts (maybe in What If?) of hammer time Steve in the past.

This is probably the angle of the Falcon and Winter Soldier Disney Plus series.
wangus12
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Sorry. One more thought.

Cap returned Mjolnir to Asgard when he returned the stone. He didn't keep it
rhutton125
AG
ChimbosAg said:

exitone said:

Question: who was the Asian kid standing with Clint and his family at the funeral? Does this tie back to the comics?

Also, this is not the kid who was in IM3. Harley Keener was standing alone in this scene.

I'm pretty sure it's Hawkeye's oldest son. Not Asian, he just might kind of look it.
TXAG 05
AG
ChimbosAg said:

exitone said:

I thought since he was Asian, he went and adopted the son of the Japanese gangster he killed. But that's just a guess.
Andyzipp
AG
ChimbosAg said:

exitone said:

It was the oldest Barton kid, Cooper. His character isn't Asian, but he was played by Ben Sakamoto.
FL_Ag1998
AG
This movie hit me like only one other has previously, that one being Return of the King. Both movies were the culmination of years of investment in characters and a story that touched me (and I secretly didn't want to end). Was every Marvel movie a masterpiece? Far from it, but mixed into all the ridiculous plot twists, crazy action scenes, and silly one-liners was a lot of heart for "comic book movies".

Return of the King was so touching because it was the end of a journey that I had first discovered as a kid when I read those books and got wrapped up in Tolkien's world. This MCU, although just a bunch of "comic book movies" was able to achieve the same result. I was wrapped up in this Avengers world, invested in Cap and Tony and the others. And it was just so damn fun to see these comic book heroes from my childhood come to life to kick ass and joke around together on the screen.

To see the OG Avengers characters arcs come to completion - perfectly for each one of them, IMO - was exciting, fulfilling, and more than just a little melancholy. And its also perfect that the man who was responsible for all of it, Stan Lee, finished his "story" this year as well. All of them - Cap, Tony, Natasha, Stan Lee, - will be missed dearly from future cinematic experiences.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.