Avengers Endgame *** SPOILERS THREAD *** YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

170,824 Views | 1502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
loose threads:

How did Cap return the space and mind stones? They were inside the Tesseract and the blue gem in loki's scepter, which had to be destroyed in order to extract the gems. Did Steve just sneak into 1970s SHIELD and put the space stone back in it's place with a post it note explaining what it was?

How did he return the soul stone? is that even possible? Was Red Skull still there? Did they hash out their issues. Or when they took the soul stone, was he freed from his curse and free to leave?

Loki getting away seems to really fubar the timeline?

The tesseract was in Asgard during the Dark World, it would've made more sense for Thor and Rocket to get it there, than to have Tony's team go after three stones. The scepter was in Stark tower during Age of Ultron, it would have been much easier to get the mind and time stones then.

How does Nebula still exist after killing her younger self? You could say that the are different after splitting the timeline, but there are other moments in the movie where they speak about preserving the timeline, and Cap returning the stones attests to that. Also, they kill 2014 Thanos from basically the very start of GOTG. So that may alter that timeline slightly, as now Ronan has no one to answer to. Also, with 2014 Thanos dead, he is not there to take the stones in 2018, which means it has to be a new timeline.

I really enjoyed watching the movie, but i really don't think it'll hold up as well over time. Infinity War was a much stronger film IMO.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
He's Captain America, and he got to dance with Peggy. The only real question is whether he got to two step to George Strait in the 80s.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Also, a neat thing I noticed. 1970s Jarvis was from the show Agent Carter. I believe that this is the first time that one of the MCU TV characters has crossed over into the MCU proper.
TexasAggie_02
AG
heh, here's a nice observation from Reddit

Quote:

Dr strange watched end game during infinity war

Thanos watched infinity war during endgame
AustinAg2K
Regarding the Girl Power scene, on the surface it seems all progressive and stuff, but if you think about it it's actually extremely anti-feminism. All the most powerful women in the universe work together, but end up just giving the stones to Thanos. It ends up taking a man to single handedly take the stones back and save them.
toucan82
I demand an extended version of this movie that's 3 more hours of Captain America fighting with Mjolnir
atag
AG
My 9yo daughter loved that scene. It was her favorite scene. She also has captain marvel as her tied for first favorite superhero movie. I also felt it was a little forced with the girl power thing but I wouldn't change a thing because my daughter keeps talking about that part of the movie.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Noblemen06
AG
C@LAg said:

This.. was not organic.
Well said - this is my only gripe about it. Generally, I don't care about these kinds of marketing moves...they are what they are. After doing it well enough in IW, it was so jarring how contrived the maneuvering was in Endgame to make a female-only moment happen. It was so apparent that it was distracting (read: eye roll-inducing) even to my wife.
coldmoose
Liked it a bunch. Want to see it again.

So many feelings.
Liquid Wrench
Nothing at all about the movie was organic. It was 3 hours of fantasy land fan service. Some of those moments hit for me. Some didn't.

Trying to put a comic book splash page in a live action movie (like the Grrl Power scene or the group at Tony's cabin in the end) is something I would include in fan service. Not realistic, of course, but faithful to the genre and not easy to do.

My first thought leaving the movie was, "that was the kitchen sink." They tried to throw everything in. It probably won't be remembered for classic storytelling, but was really more of a sendoff for fans who have been watching these movies for 10 or more years, or reading the comic books for longer.
wangus12
AG
What was not realistic about Tony's funeral? The gathering of heroes to honor a fallen comrade?
chipotle
You're in a massive battle. Then all of a sudden you have a massive impulse to get all your bichez together for some estrogen ass kicking. "OMG let's get all the girls together!"

Come on
Truvada_for_prep
does the next capt america follow the comics or is it sjw bs?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Philip J Fry
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Nothing at all about the movie was organic. It was 3 hours of fantasy land fan service. Some of those moments hit for me. Some didn't.

Trying to put a comic book splash page in a live action movie (like the Grrl Power scene or the group at Tony's cabin in the end) is something I would include in fan service. Not realistic, of course, but faithful to the genre and not easy to do.

My first thought leaving the movie was, "that was the kitchen sink." They tried to throw everything in. It probably won't be remembered for classic storytelling, but was really more of a sendoff for fans who have been watching these movies for 10 or more years, or reading the comic books for longer.

False
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AustinAg2K
Truvada_for_prep said:

I have no idea if it's in the comics or not, but it made sense. Cap and Sam have been friends for years, and Sam has always had his back. Giving Sam the shield fit very well in the story line, and didn't feel forced at all.
wangus12
AG
Truvada_for_prep said:

Its in the comics. Both Falcon and Winter Soldier have been Captain America over the years.
BowSowy
AG
chipotle said:

You're in a massive battle. Then all of a sudden you have a massive impulse to get all your bichez together for some estrogen ass kicking. "OMG let's get all the girls together!"

Come on
It was such a throwaway moment in a 3 hour movie. Why the **** are so many of y'all hung up on it? It didn't affect the movie in any way. I don't get why it was such a big deal for y'all. Like I've said elsewhere, no one gets triggered harder than middle aged white dudes.
wangus12
AG
BowSowy said:

chipotle said:

Come on
It was such a throwaway moment in a 3 hour movie. Why the **** are so many of y'all hung up on it? It didn't affect the movie in any way. I don't get why it was such a big deal for y'all
Agreed. I definitely rolled my eyes, but it was such a miniscule moment that was pandering to the female fan. Its easy to let it go
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
KidDoc
AG
Ok sharing my thoughts after reading the thread.

1) Great wrap up to a decade long story. I watched this with my 20 year old Aggie son and it is awesome to think this story has been growing for half of his life. He liked it also and he is pretty stoic but he was wiping his eyes a few times during this flick.

2) Loved Cappy's role and ending as he is my overall favorite from when I was a kid back in the 70's. However his ending creates a ton of the typical time travel questions and issues. If he generated a separate timeline when he went back in time did it rejoin in 2024 so he could be on that bench? How about the other Cappy that was frozen? Anyway typical time travel stuff.

3) Loved fat Thor. Thor has been amazing pretty much in all of his movies.

4) Loved that Ant Man ended up being such a major player as I think those two movies are some of the very best in the series. I'm sorry his buddy Anton wasn't in the Endgame he is awesome.

5) In retrospect when fat Thor summoned his hammer after talking to his mother, did it take so long to get to him because new timeline Cappy had it and it had to fly to Thor?

6) I agree that this may be the pinnacle of Marvel. I'll certainly look for more but this was an amazing wrap up to 10 years of story telling.

7) I didn't see Captain Marvel, the only one I haven't seen actually, and I don't feel like it changed my enjoyment of this movie. I still plan to watch it on streaming eventually.

8) I'm watching Antman & Wasp now on Netflix.

9) Great previews at my watching @ Star Cinema in College Station- Episode IX, Lion King, X-Men Dark Phoenix which looks promising.

10) I don't get how Falcon can be Captain America with no super serum. I mean sure the shield is Cappy's main weapon but his super human physical attributes are likely more important which would make either Spidey or Winter Soldier better candidates.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
kyledr04
AG
KidDoc said:

Ok sharing my thoughts after reading the thread.

2) Loved Cappy's role and ending as he is my overall favorite from when I was a kid back in the 70's. However his ending creates a ton of the typical time travel questions and issues. If he generated a separate timeline when he went back in time did it rejoin in 2024 so he could be on that bench? How about the other Cappy that was frozen? Anyway typical time travel stuff.

I think the basic idea was a lot like Back to the Future when they left the time machine in the cave until the future except you cant change something that's already happen. So, you can keep the main timeline intact then just wait until 2024 comes around. I guess if he returned the stones that prevented new timeline. But in the the end, it's like all time travel stuff. It doesn't make sense and you can do whatever you want to suit the narrative.
annie88
AG
4th and Inches said:

thats the kid from Iron Man 3
Ahhh. I was wondering too.
Hincemm
AG
BowSowy said:

chipotle said:

Come on
It was such a throwaway moment in a 3 hour movie. Why the **** are so many of y'all hung up on it? It didn't affect the movie in any way. I don't get why it was such a big deal for y'all. Like I've said elsewhere, no one gets triggered harder than middle aged white dudes.

I think people are triggered because it was forced. By the way, can we stop using the word triggered?

I have no problem with the scene btw. As a middle aged white dude, I'm certainly happy if that scene made women/girls feel empowered in what has generally been a superhero series dominated by middle aged white dudes.
annie88
AG
exitone said:

Question: who was the Asian kid standing with Clint and his family at the funeral? Does this tie back to the comics?

I gave a big eye roll to the girl power scene, but I guess we have to give something to the ladies. With Fat Thor on screen the whole time, we took away something for them to drool over
Agree on the girl scene, but it was quick, but now a days they have to do that **** apparently. I missed hot Thor from an eye candy standpoint, but loved fat Thor too, especially the Lebowski line.
BowSowy
AG
Hincemm said:

BowSowy said:

chipotle said:

Come on

I think people are triggered because it was forced. By the way, can we stop using the word triggered?

I have no problem with the scene btw. As a middle aged white dude, I'm certainly happy if that scene made women/girls feel empowered in what has generally been a superhero series dominated by middle aged white dudes.
I'm just not understanding why a moment that was forced for fan service to a different demographic is such a hang up. I mean, it was 15-30 seconds. Fair point on the triggered part, though. I've had a few too many and was feeling it. My apologies.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Hincemm
AG
You're good. And like I said, it didn't bother me at all. If they're trying to make a demographic feel better about themselves, then I have no issue with that.

Movies are generally supposed to make you feel good right?

annie88
AG
C@LAg said:

If they wanted to pander to the female audience, they should have had a lot of hot Thor.. Even lesbian women and gay men are down with hot Thor. Hell, as a straight guy I would have been down with more Hot Thor.
Thor is definitely hot.
Liquid Wrench
wangus12 said:

What was not realistic about Tony's funeral? The gathering of heroes to honor a fallen comrade?
I just mentioned that for the way it was done that it reminded me of one of those classic splash pages from the big Marvel crossover events of the 90's.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I'm just not understanding why a moment that was forced for fan service to a different demographic is such a hang up. I mean, it was 15-30 seconds. Fair point on the triggered part, though. I've had a few too many and was feeling it. My apologies.

White conservative approaching Middle-Age here (though not sure why my age, gender or ethnicity should bother you) , and I've said I view scenes like that as fan service and payoff, and again, kind of a tribute to the old comic book splash pages. Scenes like that don't always necessarily advance plot, but serve as a way of letting you see those particular characters one last time and make sure the creators didn't just forget them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.