Avengers Endgame *** SPOILERS THREAD *** YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

167,987 Views | 1502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You ever wonder if some people have been watching the same movies as you for a decade?
texasaggie04
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Some of you make me sad that you put so much needless thought into the details of these movies that you can't truly enjoy them to their fullest.

Completely disagree. All the thought and discussion is what has made these movies so good for the last decade. The first thing that many people do after watching these movies is jump on the internet to discuss.
Phat32
AG
texasaggie04 said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Some of you make me sad that you put so much needless thought into the details of these movies that you can't truly enjoy them to their fullest.

Completely disagree. All the thought and discussion is what has made these movies so good for the last decade. The first thing that many people do after watching these movies is jump on the internet to discuss.
*All the good acting, directing and writing is what has made these movies so good for the last decade.

FIFY
tamusc
AG
PatAg said:

You ever wonder if some people have been watching the same movies as you for a decade?
Right?? Some of the questions people are asking on here makes me wonder how many bathroom breaks they took, assuming of course they were in the right theater in the first place.
texasaggie04
AG
yukmonkey said:

texasaggie04 said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

*All the good acting, directing and writing is what has made these movies so good for the last decade.

FIFY

That's a given. And then the thought and discussion by fans is a direct sequelae of that.
TCTTS
AG
So cool...

https://instagr.am/p/Bw0zRW6lYh3
TCTTS
AG
Pretty sure Nebula, Gamora, and maybe even Doctor Strange are stunt doubles. But everyone else... wow. And that's James Gunn's brother at the end, with the quip. He's "plays" Rocket on set.
GreasenUSA
AG
Kramer said:

How does Tony get the stones at the end? They are in the gauntlet on Thanos' hand, then...poof...they are in Tony's suit hand. Did he already have that part of his suit made? Did he snatch the stones out because he's also a magician?

The whole Nat piece was weird. Yes, she sacrificed herself and that doesn't seem to fit the bill of giving up someone you love. Although, it does make perfect sense she would do that. It didn't make sense that Hawkeye put up a fight about it. He has a family.

In that vein, I would have preferred that Cap put the gauntlet on and sacrifice himself. Tony has a family. And he already sacrificed himself in Avengers (lucky to have gotten back).

Didn't like the Thor change. Just seemed pointless. Also didn't understand why he abdicated the throne.

While the Hulk was entertaining, it was weird.

All that work to get Capt Marvel into the storyline, and that's all she had. Laughable.

Why does Pepper have a suit? Did Oprah have a show where she handed out suits to everybody?

I thought it was OK, but I certainly didn't feel it was incredible.

Wow
Dr. Horrible
One of my friends said he was going to specifically watch for how Tony got the stones on his second viewing. He told me he thinks that Tony used the nanoparticles to do the work of retrieving the stones. Or at least that's what he is going to go with.
BMX Bandit
I'm green lighting a "Rocket & Thor" buddy cop series on Netflix.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

One of my friends said he was going to specifically watch for how Tony got the stones on his second viewing. He told me he thinks that Tony used the nanoparticles to do the work of retrieving the stones. Or at least that's what he is going to go with.

That's what happened. The gauntlet is stark tech. When Tony holds up his hand you see the nanobots sliding the stones into place.

They purposely hide him taking the stones, but show them sliding into place.
Sex Panther
AG
texasaggie04 said:

1. I'm not sure that anything was really "resolved." Somebody mentioned it a few pages back, but they just doubled the population of the universe where things were already chaotic from the aftermath of the snap. I wonder if that will be addressed at all in future movies... I mean, if food production was working at 50% or less for five years and then sjdde suddenly you have twice as many mouths to feed, that's a major problem.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

This is definitely what happened. I did the same thing your friend did, watching for that on the second viewing, and you see the nanotech wrapping the gauntlet with the stones around Tony's wrist. I didn't see how Tony was able to activate the nanotech to wrench the stones from Thanos, but presumably they both had their hand on the gauntlet that ended up on Thanos' hand at the same time.
PDWT_12
AG
Kramer said:

In that vein, I would have preferred that Cap put the gauntlet on and sacrifice himself. Tony has a family. And he already sacrificed himself in Avengers (lucky to have gotten back).

Lot going on in this post but just want to point something out here. I fully expected Cap to die going into the movie and Tony to "retire". I was kind of like you and thought that made the most sense.

This worked better though. Cap sacrificed himself 70 years ago when he went under the ice. He needed/deserved the opportunity to go back and have "a life" (something I think Tony would have really wanted for him).

Tony needed to set things right permanently, he needed to rest. He needed this moment because so much of his story has been about failure. Failure in Ultron to protect the world with his creations, failure in Civil War to keep the Avengers from falling apart, failure in Infinity War to beat Thanos. This was his moment to essentially erase those failures and in doing so, he was able to guarantee the safety of his greatest success (his family).

Honestly this movie does a fantastic job of showing the way failure effects people. From Thor's drinking and letting himself go, Black Widow burying herself in her work, etc.
jsc8116
AG
SIAP, but when present day Nebula burnt/damaged her hand retrieving the Power Stone, but past Nebula returned to the present day, why didnt War Machine notice her arm was magicallyhealed? Did she have it covered by the time travel suit? Only thing I could think of..... was waiting for War Machine to notice that when old Nebula returned back to the Avenger's base.
Hulla Baller
AG
jsc8116 said:

SIAP, but when present day Nebula burnt/damaged her hand retrieving the Power Stone, but past Nebula returned to the present day, why didnt War Machine notice her arm was magicallyhealed? Did she have it covered by the time travel suit? Only thing I could think of..... was waiting for War Machine to notice that when old Nebula returned back to the Avenger's base.
Yep, Rhodey dropped the ball on that one.
Beat40
Ok. I keep seeing people ask why Cap was able to wield the hammer and the answer is that he was worthy. That is obvious. Here's my question related to that:

In Age of Ultron, he could only budge the hammer. Obviously he wields it here. What actually makes him worthy in Endgame versus Age of Ultron?

Is it partially that Thor now has Stormbreaker and the hammer basically is finding someone else to pledge allegence to?
MandoArms
Evil Nebula has her arm wrapped when she returned. That's why War Machine didn't notice a difference. Right before she called in Thanos she unwrapped it.
IG: mando_arms
PDWT_12
AG
Two theories I've heard that make sense.

Believe there's an interview with Whedon where somebody asks why he wasn't worthy enough to lift in Ultron and he says "Did he fail? Or did he stop?" So maybe he could have lifted it, but didn't want to take away from Thor or whatever.

Other theory is that in that moment, he knew that Bucky killed Tony's parents, and was hiding it from him. So he wasn't technically pure/worthy. In Civil War he admits to Tony that he knew, and defends his best friend knowing it means exile, making him worthy to lift the hammer in Endgame.
AgfromHOU
AG
Did we see a Tony suit up sequence?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
So which was the better or more awesome scene ...

Thor's arrival in Wakanda in Infinity War

or

Cap wielding Mjolnir in Endgame?

These two scenes seem quite similar in the emotional response I noted in audiences. Personally, as a bigger fan of Captain America, I was "Hell yeah!" when Cap lifted Mjolnir but I think Thor's arrival in Wakanda was more bad-ass.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Quote:

Lot going on in this post but just want to point something out here. I fully expected Cap to die going into the movie and Tony to "retire". I was kind of like you and thought that made the most sense.

This worked better though. Cap sacrificed himself 70 years ago when he went under the ice. He needed/deserved the opportunity to go back and have "a life" (something I think Tony would have really wanted for him).

Tony needed to set things right permanently, he needed to rest. He needed this moment because so much of his story has been about failure. Failure in Ultron to protect the world with his creations, failure in Civil War to keep the Avengers from falling apart, failure in Infinity War to beat Thanos. This was his moment to essentially erase those failures and in doing so, he was able to guarantee the safety of his greatest success (his family).

Honestly this movie does a fantastic job of showing the way failure effects people. From Thor's drinking and letting himself go, Black Widow burying herself in her work, etc.

A++++
Jim01
AG
Saw it last night in a packed theater that went nuts multiple times.

Really enjoyed it. Initial thought I was I liked IW a bit more just because it was so non-stop, but the more I have time to digest, the more neck and neck it gets.

- I agree the Cap timeline is a bit confusing, but I guess he could have just lived in a world with two caps and laid low.

- I kind of cringed when they jumped to the time travel solution, as it's traditionally such a hack solution. "We'll just go back in time!" But they actually did it uniquely enough to make it interesting.

- I didn't understand how/initially like the Stark simply taking the stones solution, but in retrospect it makes sense. Strange giving him a look to communicate "Hey, did you pay attention to what he just did? Quite trying to take the gauntlet and just take the stones." It just seemed a bit odd that he could swipe them all so quick without him noticing when it seem to take Thanos a bit of force to remove one.

- Cap getting the hammer very much reminded me of the end of TFA with the lightsaber flying to Rey and not Kylo

I saw it alone, as I traditionally do, but will be taking the 3 kiddos sometime soon. Should be a great second viewing.

Over all though, from a film geek perspective, the shear accomplishment of the last 11 years is astounding. The quality, the intertwining of stories, the casting, writing, directing, lack of major spoiler leaks. It really deserves Academy recognition with at least a BP nod.
jackie childs
has anybody seen any explanation as to why cap is now deemed "worthy", but wasn't in age of ultron?
Farmer1906
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

or

These two scenes seem quite similar in the emotional response I noted in audiences. Personally, as a bigger fan of Captain America, I was "Hell yeah!" when Cap lifted Mjolnir but I think Thor's arrival in Wakanda was more bad-ass.

The 2 sequences of Cap swinging the hammer tops any of those sequence moment in all of the MCU.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jackie childs said:

has anybody seen any explanation as to why cap is now deemed "worthy", but wasn't in age of ultron?

cuz... it was the finale so it had to be now. duh. nothing more than that. imho.
DVC2010
AG
jackie childs said:

Because he didn't sell out his principles and sign some stupid accords that wouldn't have prevented any of this anyway.
TXAG 05
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

or

The 2 sequences of Cap swinging the hammer tops any of those sequence moment in all of the MCU.

I'd put the Ragnorok "Immigrant Song" Thor/Valerie scene above it, but I'm also not a huge fan of Capt America.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
DVC2010 said:

jackie childs said:

Because he didn't sell out his principles and sign some stupid accords that wouldn't have prevented any of this anyway.
From a few posts above ...

Believe there's an interview with Whedon where somebody asks why he wasn't worthy enough to lift in Ultron and he says "Did he fail? Or did he stop?" So maybe he could have lifted it, but didn't want to take away from Thor or whatever.

Other theory is that in that moment, he knew that Bucky killed Tony's parents, and was hiding it from him. So he wasn't technically pure/worthy. In Civil War he admits to Tony that he knew, and defends his best friend knowing it means exile, making him worthy to lift the hammer in Endgame.

I'd add to these theories ... Cap has always been worthy. Remember way back to The First Avenger. Scrawny Steve Rogers was selected for the Super Soldier program by Dr. Erskine because he was a good man, because he didn't want to kill anyone, to use the Super Soldier powers in any nefarious way such as Red Skull ...
Sbisa04
AG
PDWT_12 said:

Great thoughts here. Had not heard that from JW.

I thought Cap knew that his parents were murdered, but not necessarily that WS is the one who did it. Can anyone confirm?
Farmer1906
AG
Sbisa04 said:

PDWT_12 said:

Great thoughts here. Had not heard that from JW.

I thought Cap knew that his parents were murdered, but not necessarily that WS is the one who did it. Can anyone confirm?
He does in CW. Its what triggers the final fight.
LeonardSkinner
Something that piqued my interest, SIAP.

At the end, Cap is going to return the stones. Hulk and Falcon are all like, he'll be back in 5 seconds. Bucky says something like "we'll miss you."

I'm wondering if he knew what Cap was planning.

Also, from a production standpoint, I wonder if they filmed a Bucky getting the shield scene as well, so fewer people knew who got it until the movie came out.
DVC2010
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

Something that piqued my interest, SIAP.

At the end, Cap is going to return the stones. Hulk and Falcon are all like, he'll be back in 5 seconds. Bucky says something like "we'll miss you."

I'm wondering if he knew what Cap was planning.

Also, from a production standpoint, I wonder if they filmed a Bucky getting the shield scene as well, so fewer people knew who got it until the movie came out.

I'm less a comic book nerd than some of you, but that seems like a really odd reveal to guard so closely.
hurleyag
AG
Could the Reason Cap isn't able to lift it in Ultron be because they were trying to show off by being able to lift it instead of pure intentions?
Urban Ag
AG
Allrighty,

So Tony made the suit for Pepper during the five years since Infinity War

Cap could lift the hammer because he was worthy

and Stark used the nano technology to basically remove the stones from the gauntlet that he created and attached them to him since, well, he designed the thing, not Thanos.

ok, so just more question. After Cap gets the stones back to their respective owners, times lines, is it implied that he:
A) never went through the super soldier process but somehow got Agent Carter to fall in love with and he was just really, really, old?
B) did the super soldier process but knowing how things would go with Hydra he was able to avoid getting stuck in the ice for 70 years, then married Carter?

If B, why would he look any different, why would he have aged?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.