Avengers Endgame *** SPOILERS THREAD *** YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

170,034 Views | 1502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
chipotle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well, they also say you can't change the past. Does that mean Peggy never married someone else?

That bald lady said otherwise.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
She said that when you take away an infinity stone, a new branch is created.

Not exactly the same. Cap returned them all, implying he stays in the "original" timeline.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A+ Cinemascore
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You look like melted ice cream.
Dr. Horrible
I was having some fun reading through the negative reviews on RT while thinking to myself, "what movie did these people watch?"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$1B worldwide opening weekend is in play.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hmm. I wonder if Hulk's snap brought back all the dusted in the universe?
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I really liked the movie a lot. I watched IW the night before, which was good, but also messed with my expectations some. Endgame is a completely different movie. It's basically a different genre, so comparing them is hard. What is true of IW is that it is very re-watchable and fun and I think the same will be true of Engame. I'll definitely check it out at least 1 more time in theaters.

So, doing some math here, and what I understand is there is 3 timelines created from this movie (possibly 4).

1) The original -- snap happens, they go back and get the stones and use them, but Cap returns them, closing off those timelines. Him staying may make another timeline or it could have been a part of it the whole time. He could have stayed out of the way, because what Strange said: "Knowing what is going to happen will make it not happen." Also, it would then make sense that Cap shows up at the end without having had to jump back through the machine.

2) Loki timeline -- him jumping away with the Tesseract completely changes that timeline making it a new branch...which I am assuming will be addressed in the Loki TV show on Disney+. Maybe that show ends with him returning to that moment and re-connecting that timeline to the original

3) 2014 Thanos -- This is where I am most confused. Did Tony's snap kill everyone in the present? Or send them back to the past with the memories of that present? Or, as Thanos suggested could be done, did he send them back to the past with no memories, in effect closing that loop as well? Also, I was under the assumption that 2014 Gamora was dusted also, since she was from the past and wasn't seen again after that (at the funeral or on the GOTG ship). I am wondering if the 3rd GOTG isn't going to be a search for Gamora, but a quest for the soul stone, to bring her back out of it (and possible Nat....or at least leaving that possibility open). I am fine with them not doing that, but it sure seems like Gamora was supposed to be in GOTG 3. If 2014 Gamora is wondering around, then they definitely have another timeline created because Thanos, Gamora, and Nebula all died then before the 1st GOTG.

Did I miss something or does this sound right?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I hadn't thought of that, but the Thanos dusting definitely created a new timeline in 2014. But I wonder if we'll ever see it, since all our characters are in the current timeline.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ooh, I wonder if Far From Home couldn't happen in this new timeline?

Trying to think. Would Thanos being dead mean Civil War and Homecoming can't happen?

(Though I hope this isn't the case, cause we lose Peter being an official Avenger.)
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ooh, I wonder if Far From Home couldn't happen in this new timeline?

Trying to think. Would Thanos being dead mean Civil War and Homecoming can't happen?

(Though I hope this isn't the case, cause we lose Peter being an official Avenger.)

Why couldn't it. Its still 2023 and everything that has happened up to that point has happened. When 2014 Thanos came to the main timeline it causes his timeline to branch, creating a separate course, but all the mainstream stuff stays the same for the main timeline
wangus12
AG
Someone made this on reddit.

InternetFan02
AG
This time travel **** is back to the future on steroids. It's all good - it doesn't ruin the movie and makes for great discussion.

My 14 year old and his buddies will be arguing about it forever - the avengers are the defining cultural experience for his generation. I love it. When he's my age they'll roll out old man RDJ for an avengers reboot and he'll freak out like I did for Harrison Ford in TFA.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I meant in the new timeline (IF Far From Home happens in it. Let's call it timeline B.)

Thanos dies in 2014, Civil War happens in 2016. (Which, far as I can tell, still happens even if Thanos dies.)

I'm just trying to figure out if Peter-B still joins the Avengers.

Though from the trailers, it looks like it's Fury that recruits him and not Tony.
MBAR
AG
My understanding is that you can't change the past in the timeline. If you go back and change something in the past, then you have a new branch.

For cap to.habe shown up in the future without traveling with the band Stark made, him ending up as Carter's husband must have always been what happened.

So when he shows up on the bench, did he travel there with the device or did he just show up there when he finally caught up to them in time?
Claude!
It was very good. There were a couple of definite superhero chills moments, and the sendoff for Cap and Tony was great. Cap being worthy, "Avengers assemble", and "I am Iron Man" we're all great.

The girl power scene was a little overdone; the analogue scene from IW with Okoye, Scarlet Witch, and Black Widow was more organic and better done. That being said, the woman sitting next to me (who I did not know) seemed to get a big kick out of it, so there's an audience. I still don't like Captain Marvel and I doubt I ever will, but she was used reasonably well here.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

I have to say Endgame has probably come the closest to matching this epicness.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I don't think step 27 is accurate.

I was not under the impression CA jumped back to the main timeline at the end as older CA. I think he knew where they would be and when and just showed up there in 2023. He didn't come thru the time portal anyway and was not wearing the white suit.

I was under the impression he lived those 70+ years - but had aged less than that because of his super soldier serum or whatever. He was awakened in 2012 at the age of 20ish and it's been 11 years to 2023 so 31ish plus 70+ years so he is 101+ but looks like he's 65-70ish.

Anyone?
DVC2010
AG
Nothing will ever touch that scene. And it's even better in the book.
IrishAg
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/27/media/avengers-endgame-box-office-global-record/index.html

Damn, just broke the record for the biggest worldwide opening at $644 million... midday Saturday
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agree, but the book didn't have that awesome music.
AgfromHOU
AG
I took the ending as their reality had everyone come back, while the other realities might have unforetold consequences. Infinity War and the snap still happened for their reality, but it was prevented in the other reality that the Thanos they defeated came from. That's why they said just bring everyone back to today's time (also partly because Tony didn't want to lose Morgan).

Loki getting the space stone could just be explained as fixed because of Cap and Tony going back to the 1970's, or just as an alternate reality.

The movie really seemed like the Russo brothers sat down at a table with Kevin Feige and said, "How can we make this movie completely bonkers? No bad ideas.", and then put it all on screen. This movie was total fan service and was a completely satisfying end to this saga. The final battle was pure spectacle in a great way. I lost my **** when Cap said "Avengers Assemble!"

I didn't think it was as good as Infinity War, but this was a great way of ending the Infinity Saga. Looking forward to Sam as Captain America, Thor with the Guardians, and maybe seeing more characters like Ironheart (who is inspired by Tony's sacrifice) or Nova. With the intro of Captain Marvel and Thor going to space, I'm hoping for more cosmic exploration with Black Panther, Spider-Man, and Doctor Strange holding down the fort on Earth.
AgfromHOU
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Agree, but the book didn't have that awesome music.

New business idea: books with audio recordings for epic battle scenes
Post removed:
by user
MBAR
AG
Loki 100% created a new timeline
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah same. I no longer feel like the MCU is required viewing. It's peaked at this point.
mslags97
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well, they also say you can't change the past. Does that mean Peggy never married someone else?

You never see anything with her "husband" in other movies, right? Then maybe Cap is her husband, and he just carefully avoids contact with others to keep any timeline problems from happening.
Mr. Nobody
Umm yeah, I don't see Cap not helping people being within his character...especially armed with the hammer...
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AMW2010
AG
Charlie Conway said:

AMW2010 said:

I don't understand why it feels like 10 pages complaining on thicc Thor.... everyone has their own ways of grieving... food, alcohol, drugs, depression, suicide... beer was his escape.Corg helped with the comic relief in the scene. Rocket said it I believe that Thor looked sad as in pathetic. when tony came back from near death in space, he was extremely delusional and basically gave up and left, moved on and started a family. Hawkeyes way of getting over his loss was to straight up murder rampage
stop being so dramatic, it hasn't been 10 [ages of complaining about fat thor, we argued about the all girls team for at least 3 of those pages

It's sad that y'all even complain about the girl stuff... even I eye rolled at that part...but look at it from a young girls perspective... their faces probably lit up the same way yours did when cap wielded the hammer...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good catch.
Old Jock 1997
AG
So will pepper Potts take over an Iron Man-like role? Will we see her again? I don't know the comics well at all.

Early on there was something with Stark's daughter and the Iron Man helmet that made me wonder about Junior Avengers. I don't know the story line there though from the comics or cartoons. Any thoughts?
AMW2010
AG
That just made me think... in the trailer fury says, nice to finally meet you spider man..... both fury and peter were at starks funeral....
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.