Avengers Endgame *** SPOILERS THREAD *** YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

170,857 Views | 1502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sine poena nulla lex.
D12Lloyd
AG
What was Thor's reasoning for giving the throne to Valkyrie and leaving with the GOTG?
Farmer1906
AG
D12Lloyd said:

What was Thor's reasoning for giving the throne to Valkyrie and leaving with the GOTG?

So he could be who he is and not who he is supposed to be. She was already going leading the people while Thor was grieving.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
D12Lloyd said:

Lots of role changes. Valkyrie was the drunkard screw up, lamenting over failure in Ragnarok. Now it is Thor.
Ag Since 83
AG
Very well made movie. Personally, the amount of comedy in the first act after the most tragic event ever and then the amount of fan service in visiting past movies was a bit jarring, and definitely took me out of the movie, so I didn't enjoy it as much as many of you. Whenever I see it the 2nd time, now expecting those things, I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot more. It'll probably end up in my 2nd tier of Marvel movies.

Are there basically 3 timelines?

1. Original pre-Endgame one
2. Post-Endgame
3. Cap/Peggy happy life timeline, with old Cap jumping back to 2 to talk to Sam and Bucky
(I guess a 4th would be the possible Loki/Tesseract Disney+ timeline)

Or is 3 not a separate timeline in which case my head can't figure out the implications
kyledr04
AG
Loved the movie. Was really hoping to see Coulson again but wasn't surprised not to. The girl power thing was too forced.

I didn't really understand how Tony ended up with the stones.
wangus12
AG
Danvers haircut has been that way in the comics for quite awhile now
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Did anyone cheer in your theater when Thanos got dusted? Not in ours. I think it came off as anticlimactic. Maybe Stark should have locked eyes with Thanos after the snap....give everyone a heads up.
PDWT_12
AG
Saw it last night. Great movie. I'll admit if I hadn't already known it was going to be awesome I would have been a little worried at the beginning. Just seemed a little all over the place and couldn't find its footing. About the time Tony showed back up to HQ, it found it and then it never let up.

Elevator fight scene tease was awesome. Hail Hydra.

Loved Fat Thor. It's tough because we got to see him finally arrive in IW, and this one he was the butt of jokes. But it worked for me. Especially knowing now his story doesn't appear to be over. Dieting Thor in GotG3 I hope?

I think every character was used perfectly, as best as they could with how many there were and how little time there was. I know when Captain Marvels title of strongest character got announced a bunch of people got all poopy pants thinking she would be overused but I think she was utilized the right amount.

Cap with the hammer. It's all I've wanted since Ultron and I was so happy to see it. Him standing alone against Thanos and his army. What a fantastic shot. And then... "on your left." I get chills thinking about it.

My wife and I are pregnant with our first so needless to say the end was tough for us both (not that isn't the case for every person with a soul.) Love you 3000.

As for Endgame vs Infinity War... I don't know. I love Infinity War and I think it's a better, tighter, story, but I think Endgame is more fun. Can't wait to be able to watch them back to back on a cold, rainy day or something.
Kate Beckett
AG
I did say bye Felicia.
PDWT_12
AG
Also the score was excellent. Silvestri did a really good job weaving in themes and songs from previous movies. Felt like a greatest hits soundtrack playing over the scenes. Good stuff.
phatpat21
Another beautiful scene was Scott Lang and his daughter
Everyone showing up to fight was my favorite scene
Strange holding up his 1 finger to Stark
So many great scenes, I cannot wait to see it again and see what I missed
Already told my wife (who's not a Marvel fan) that I'm going again soon and she looked at me like I'm crazy
Dr. Horrible
So is the connection from CM end credits to the start of Endgame that she came back, met a couple of the Avengers, and they sent her out looking for Tony? I was a little lost on that one and expected them to flesh out her meeting the team for the first time a bit more.

Fat Thor was awesome, so everyone complaining can shut it.

I also wish we would have seen Coulson again, and wanted just a little more interaction for Fury. Like he could have been there when they sent Cap back.

I've also got the same issue with the 5 year jump and that it is 2023 in the timeline now, especially the younger characters like we will have in the next Spider-Man. I'll reserve judgment on that one until it plays out.

Does anyone else feel bad for Peggy Carter's husband? Cap goes back in time and all of a sudden, he loses the girl he had to Captain freaking America. Also, no Sharon Carter was a bummer.

I'm like a few of y'all. Can't decide if I liked this better than IW or not, but they're both 1a, 1b to me. I think I need to see it again before I can decide. Can't wait to see what the future plans are, but I don't know that I see the next 10 years paying off like this one did.
The Collective
AG
There was a girl crying uncontrollably and loudly at my theater. It kind pulled away from some of the bigger moments for me.
Kate Beckett
AG
It wasn't me. I am able to cry quietly. I was sobbing but only my dad could see/hear me because he knows what to look for after 28 years
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

This was pretty much the music playing during Stark's funeral, but I didn't mind. Always loved this theme. Silvestri is great.
phatpat21
Talked about this with a buddy last night...what if after they killed thanos the first time it ended and went to credits...then the post credit scene was the rest of the movie lol
Kind of weird I know but man I was confused the first time around cuz I knew something happened for him to come back but it definitely had me thinking for a little bit
M.C. Swag
AG
Just saw the movie late last night.

For anyone who 'knows' me on here, I'm a bit of a harsh critic. I love going to the movies but find so many of them are disappointing (and I understand that's partly my fault). Out of every 10 new movies I watch, I may find 1 "above average."

And I ****ing LOVED this movie.

It definitely had plot holes (anything to do with time travel usually does) and it was off the charts on the cheesy scale....but *******it that was just a fun ass movie.

Most Marvel movies struggle to balance the weight of a sincere moment with the light-hearted humor a comic-movie is expected to have, but THIS movie did it the best of all.

There were no less than half a dozen times I was on the verge of tears and very similarly grinning or laughing with joy.
  • Seeing Hawkeye deal with his dusted family was brutal
  • Tony finding true happiness in a torn world was cruel irony
  • Watching Widow and Capt America struggle to maintain any semblance of normalcy showed us these heroes in the most human of ways
  • AND I AM 100% HERE FOR FAT THOR AND HIS FUTURE SPIN-OFF "ASGUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY."

This is normally the part where I'd pick apart or highlight the flaws of the movie, but to do it here would be a huge injustice to the literally dozens of things it ABSOLUTELY NAILED.

At the end of the day, this movie somehow managed to fulfill a 'satisfying (if not bittersweet)' book-end to a 10+yr story arc, gave a proper farewell to beloved characters, and delivered just a good movie.

PS: If there was ever a moment more earned than Capt America throwing a left-right lightening combo, hammer ricochet shield uppercut in cinema history, please point it out to me.

Dr. Horrible
Quote:

Out of every 10 movies I watch, I may find 1 "above average."
Not sure you understand how averages work...
Charlie Conway
AMW2010 said:

I don't understand why it feels like 10 pages complaining on thicc Thor.... everyone has their own ways of grieving... food, alcohol, drugs, depression, suicide... beer was his escape.Corg helped with the comic relief in the scene. Rocket said it I believe that Thor looked sad as in pathetic. when tony came back from near death in space, he was extremely delusional and basically gave up and left, moved on and started a family. Hawkeyes way of getting over his loss was to straight up murder rampage
stop being so dramatic, it hasn't been 10 [ages of complaining about fat thor, we argued about the all girls team for at least 3 of those pages
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

Quote:

lol.... that was my thought too... you gotta lower what you think is average if you rate 9/10 films "low".

let's say you judged 10 film this way using ratings of 1* - 10* (10* being highest)

1* = 3 films
2* = 3 films
3* = 3 films
9* = 1 film

Your average is a 2.7 thus all the 3* films are above average.... and the 9* is way above average.

Unless you rate 9 films as 1* and only 1 film as 9* then the other 9 are below average but then there is basically no granularity in your ratings - might as well be a 0 or 1.

The Collective
AG
It was Will Ferrell funeral crashing bad from a volume perspective.
M.C. Swag
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Dr. Horrible said:

Quote:

lol.... that was my thought too... you gotta lower what you think is average if you rate 9/10 films "low".

let's say you judged 10 film this way using ratings of 1* - 10* (10* being highest)

1* = 3 films
2* = 3 films
3* = 3 films
9* = 1 film

Your average is a 2.7 thus all the 3* films are above average.... and the 9* is way above average.

Unless you rate 9 films as 1* and only 1 film as 9* then the other 9 are below average but then there is basically no granularity in your ratings - might as well be a 0 or 1.

Hey...don't overthink it. In the pantheon of cinema, im talking about new releases and how I find most of them "below par." It's not a literal measurement in 10 movie increments.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I know that's why I lol-ed. etc. It just came across that way and struck me as funny.

I do think that's somewhat common - or it happens anyway - for the monster movie releases. That's why I tend to try to avoid as much hype as possible actually and just go see a movie. I find if my expectations are lower I tend to enjoy them more. Movies rarely live up to huge expectations.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
3-Hour Runtime Doesn't Choke 'Avengers: Endgame': Record $158M+ 1st Day; Unheard Of $349M-$356M 3-Day; Overall Weekend Biz Nearing $400M
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Wow.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, I think this might break even.
chipotle
I'm having issues with cap going back to return the stones. So which point did he go back to take the power stone? The battle of new york or the 1970s one? If the 1970s one then loki is still running around with the tesseract which would change the future (unless we subscribe to the alternate timelines deal which I think we're just BttFering here). Also, the powerstone is in the tesseract, did they break it out to use it? How did they put it back? Thanos just busted it in IW.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dr. Horrible
Tesseract is the space stone...
chipotle
Whatever. Then they have to put back the mind stone in lokis staff.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That is America's ass.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I'm still thinking on this movie after having seen it yesterday afternoon.

I was convinced during the lead-up to Infinity War that a major character was going to die. Now, of course, several big characters - Gamora, Loki, Heimdal - did in fact die, but I was thinking bigger. I was thinking Cap or Iron Man, with Cap being the most likely. When Cap survived his first encounter with Thanos, I was certain he would buy the farm in Endgame.

And then they did the best thing for Cap's character, something I never anticipated. They gave him the life that circumstances in 1945 stole from him. I absolutely loved that. To see him back in the late 40s dancing with Peggy Carter, and then of course him as an old man passing the shield to Sam, really put a great closure on Steve Rogers. But then, I'm still wondering - does Cap going back in time alter his known future? In his original timeline, he comes out of the ice in 2011, later has the big fight with his best friend ... does that get wiped out or ... crap, time travel stories really drive me nuts.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
All of that still happens, because Cap was younger when he did all of that.

There's a line in the movie where Banner explains that when they travel back in time, the past becomes their future .

The real question is whether or not it creates a separate timeline or if that was "always" his future. But I think as long as he doesn't interact with himself or change anything, it's possible he can live in quiet retirement and not alter anything.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, they also say you can't change the past. Does that mean Peggy never married someone else?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.