*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

207,002 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

it's a superhero movie, superheroes smash ****
Which is why I'm not a big fan of superhero movies.
PatAg
AG
I'll never get not being a fan of something, and then spending so much time in a thread dedicated to the thing I dont like.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Sex Panther said:

"HULK KARATE!"
HULK LIKE BRUCE LEE KARATE, aTmAg LIKE NAPOLEON DYNAMITE KARATE
israeliag
AG
Living Legend said:

dave94 said:

aTmAg said:

Quote:

I've seen IronMan. I liked that one.

I have slowly realized one common theme in movies that I tend to like less, and that is the dependence on karate. And not merely having karate, but having it be the primary determination on who "wins" or "loses". It is lazy writing to have a situation where all the antagonist needs to do is grit his teeth harder, and "want it more". So for example, Rocky was good, not because of the final fight scene, but because of his situation, how he got there, relationship with Adrian, etc. The subsequent Rocky movies were jokes (excluding Creed), because they were little more than training montages and "wanting it more".

Looking back, all of the shows I really love have no karate at all (Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Hunt For Red October, A Few Good Men, etc.). The movies that I do like that have karate, either don't take themselves too seriously (True Lies), or make less important to the story (The Dark Knight, Iron Man). I think one reason the Star Wars Prequels suck compared to the originals is how much victory or defeat depended on physical fighting skills. Even though The Return of the Jedi had some of it, it was not the central theme or cause of "victory".

I realize that superhero movies are not going to be able to avoid that very much. I guess that is why they are at a fundamental disadvantage in my view. They have to really go out of their way to make the story good and smart to overcome that (As TDK did).

I'm sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but the idea that karate is the reason you don't like a lot of movies is kind of funny.
I'm assuming that the whole "karate" thing is a bit/troll.
He's using Karate as a
spaceman
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

benMath08 said:

The Debt said:

Portal Thanos onto the surface of a star or at the rim of a black hole.
Those portals go both ways...

Today I learned that Highway 6 is a portal created by Dr. Strange.
POT Freakin' Y!
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
OnlyForNow
AG
Saw this last night in iMax 3d and it was great!

Thor getting axe = awesome sauce.

I'm not a comic book guy, but is Vomir or w/e planet Thanos ended up getting the soul stone from referenced any where or was it just a necessary step to move the plot along and NOT create issues with other Marvel properties (captain marvel or Adam Warlock having it) etc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
hurleyag
AG
Something I've been thinking about lately is how I would feel if the dusting actually happened. I'm sure lots of regular civilians in the MCU are now opening up Revelations and trying to make comparisons. There has been no indication of this type of power by any super hero or super villain, and outside of our heros and those around Wakanda, no one on earth even knows about Thanos or infinity stones.
M.C. Swag
AG
hurleyag said:

Something I've been thinking about lately is how I would feel if the dusting actually happened. I'm sure lots of regular civilians in the MCU are now opening up Revelations and trying to make comparisons. There has been no indication of this type of power by any super hero or super villain, and outside of our heros and those around Wakanda, no one on earth even knows about Thanos or infinity stones.

The very notion of 'revelations' as it is described in the bible would be undercut by the presence of any alien life to begin with (see Avengers 1 with the Chitari). Things get even more crazy when you consider the implications of Asgard and Thor.

In a real world scenario where superheros and super villains exist, I think the dusting (coinciding with the disappearance of the most renowned Billionaire/Philanthropist/Player/Hero, Tony Stark) would immediately be connected to a super being.
jtstanley4621
AG
M.C. Swag said:

hurleyag said:

The very notion of 'revelations' as it is described in the bible would be undercut by the presence of any alien life to begin with (see Avengers 1 with the Chitari). Things get even more crazy when you consider the implications of Asgard and Thor.

In a real world scenario where superheros and super villains exist, I think the dusting (coinciding with the disappearance of the most renowned Billionaire/Philanthropist/Player/Hero, Tony Stark) would immediately be connected to a super being.
Yeah the MCU would pretty much shatter most concepts of religion, at least christianity. But there'd be some Old Norse believers who would be like "SEE! I TOLD YOU!"
hurleyag
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

M.C. Swag said:

hurleyag said:

Yeah the MCU would pretty much shatter most concepts of religion, at least christianity. But there'd be some Old Norse believers who would be like "SEE! I TOLD YOU!"
Except Star Lord clearly contradicts that when he says "What am I supposed to say, Jesus?"

Edit: and Cap in Avengers1 when he says "I only know 1 God."
M.C. Swag
AG
hurleyag said:

jtstanley4621 said:

M.C. Swag said:

hurleyag said:

Except Star Lord clearly contradicts that when he says "What am I supposed to say, Jesus?"
This is a straying into dumbland, but Starlord is making a joke at the expense of religion. lol You understand that, right?
jtstanley4621
AG
Well I'm not trying to start some kind of real religious discussion here, I just think it would be funny if Thor and Odin showed up and the people who still worship the Nordic gods (if those people are even out there) become really smug about being right.
Sex Panther
AG
hurleyag said:

jtstanley4621 said:

M.C. Swag said:

hurleyag said:

and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that
hurleyag
AG
I get that, but it clearly shows that religion and Christianity are alive and well in the MCU.
M.C. Swag
AG
hurleyag said:

I get that, but it clearly shows that religion and Christianity are alive and well in the MCU.
Does it?Does it really? lol

Either way, this is all irrelevant to the movie.
hurleyag
AG
I apologize if I get this thread off on a religious tangent. I was more thinking along the lines of the next Spiderman and people on this thread saying how difficult it will be for him to get back to normal when he died in the dusting. I started thinking that half of the high school died in the dusting so they will also have some sort of PTSD as well.
Gigem314
AG
M.C. Swag said:

hurleyag said:

jtstanley4621 said:

M.C. Swag said:

hurleyag said:

This is a straying into dumbland, but Starlord is making a joke at the expense of religion. lol You understand that, right?
I think he was mocking Strange's "Who is your master?" question, not mocking religion. Like he was mocking Thor at the beginning of the movie. In both cases, StarLord thinks Thor and Strange are odd and he responds with sarcasm. Which is consistent with his behavior in the other films.
M.C. Swag
AG
sure
Gigem314
AG
M.C. Swag said:

sure
ok
Gigem314
AG
hurleyag said:

jtstanley4621 said:

M.C. Swag said:

hurleyag said:

Tony right out of the gate in IM1: "Grant unto Caesar that which is Caesar's"
Tony in Avengers: "Have you ever heard the tale of Jonah?"
Tony in IM3: Celebrating Christmas, and "Take 'em to church!"
StarLord describing the orb in Guardians 1: "A real Ark of the Covenant, Maltese Falcon vibe".
Ultron references the Bible throughout Avengers 2:
Ultron: "Come to confess your sins?"
Tony: "How much time do you have?"

The MCU isn't centered on religion, but there are Biblical references throughout the series of films. It's not like they just cut it out, when they could have.
texasaggie04
AG
DB Coach said:

Sorry, I should have explained more what I was thinking.

Fury is in the car and they get a report that a giant ship has entered the atmosphere over Wakanda, and that it's bigger than the last one. A few seconds later people start disappearing. There wasn't near enough time for the battle and all that to actually occur.

I think they're talking about when Thanos comes in with the gauntlet at the end. They specifically mention it has the same readings as New York, which would be when the Tesseract (space stone) was used to open the portal. No ships entered through the atmosphere in that movie.
So the only time delay would be the amount of time it took for Thanos to walk to vision, take the mind stone, and then get hit in the chest with a giant lightning axe.

Edit: unless they mean the readings in new York at the beginning of this movie. I took it to mean the first battle of new York, in avengers 1. I'd have to watch it again to see their exact words.
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

If this was the case I'd be ok with them not reversing things in Avengers 4
rhutton125
AG
My poor, favorite comic book character. What have they done to you?
Dmacy
Honestly people around made it their job to spoil the movie for me and told every spoiler as possible. But still watched the movie and I was speechless. Even after the spoilers enjoyed the movie to the extreme
FTACO97
AG
texasaggie04 said:

DB Coach said:

Fury is in the car and they get a report that a giant ship has entered the atmosphere over Wakanda, and that it's bigger than the last one. A few seconds later people start disappearing. There wasn't near enough time for the battle and all that to actually occur.

I think they're talking about when Thanos comes in with the gauntlet at the end. They specifically mention it has the same readings as New York, which would be when the Tesseract (space stone) was used to open the portal. No ships entered through the atmosphere in that movie.
So the only time delay would be the amount of time it took for Thanos to walk to vision, take the mind stone, and then get hit in the chest with a giant lightning axe.

Edit: unless they mean the readings in new York at the beginning of this movie. I took it to mean the first battle of new York, in avengers 1. I'd have to watch it again to see their exact words.

Saw it again last night in IMAX 3D, which I have to say is AMAZING!

Anyways, to the topic....Hill was definitely referring to when Thanos' forces arrived in Wakanda. She said something along the lines of "multiple bogeys detected above Wakanda". Fury asks "like in New York?" Hill responds, "No, much bigger". Then seconds later the car crashes in front of them. So there's definitely some time lost there.
redline248
AG
Dmacy said:

Honestly people around made it their job to spoil the movie for me and told every spoiler as possible. But still watched the movie and I was speechless. Even after the spoilers enjoyed the movie to the extreme
How are you not in jail for murder?
redline248
AG
FTACO97 said:

texasaggie04 said:

DB Coach said:

Anyways, to the topic....Hill was definitely referring to when Thanos' forces arrived in Wakanda. She said something along the lines of "multiple bogeys detected above Wakanda". Fury asks "like in New York?" Hill responds, "No, much bigger". Then seconds later the car crashes in front of them. So there's definitely some time lost there.
I mean, Wakanda is half way around the world, and it's day time in both scenes...so....
FTACO97
AG
redline248 said:

FTACO97 said:

texasaggie04 said:

DB Coach said:

I mean, Wakanda is half way around the world, and it's day time in both scenes...so....
True, but they portray it like Hill just saw it on a satellite feed or something. Maybe she's just reading the morning news :-)
YellowPot_97
AG
Why is everyone over analyzing 5 seconds in the stinger of a two and half hour movie?
jeffk
AG
FTACO97 said:

redline248 said:

FTACO97 said:

texasaggie04 said:

DB Coach said:

True, but they portray it like Hill just saw it on a satellite feed or something. Maybe she's just reading the morning news :-)

She was obviously on Twitter seeing things from 24 hours earlier at the top of her timeline.
benMath08
AG
redline248 said:

FTACO97 said:

texasaggie04 said:

DB Coach said:

Well uh...clearly Thanos used the time gem to make it noon
FL_Ag1998
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

Why is everyone over analyzing 5 seconds in the stinger of a two and half hour movie?

This.
jtstanley4621
AG
Well, couldn't those ships just still be there after the snap? As far as we know, the movie ends with the battle possibly still going on, the Avengers were just in an isolated area away from it trying to deal with Thanos. Maybe Hill just looked and saw there were ships over Wakanda?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.