*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

208,738 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Peter Parker tells Tony something like "I can't be a friendly neighborhood spiderman, without a neighborhood". Sure, Spidey going to space and dusting off will never be topped in his stand alone movie(s), but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy his next adventure of being the friendly neighborhood spiderman.
AliasMan02
AG
Plus he had already completed a mission that couldn't be topped, fighting as a stand-in Avenger against Cap. His more local and personal fight still feeling weighty.
Brick Tamland
How would he know what happened? The Guardians weren't there
bobinator
AG
Yeah but like someone else pointed out, he has the power to do basically anything. He could make planets twice as big or he could make twice as many planets or any number of things. He's very oddly committed to the "half of everyone has to die" thing when he basically has unlimited power.
TCTTS
AG
Edit: Sorry! Wrong thread!
AgMarauder04
AG
Sure. His methods are effed up, but his home planet died because there were so many people. I imagine it had a significant impact. The Avengers were fighting not against his goal, but because he wanted to kill half the universe to achieve it.

He's basically All Gore with superpowers
AgMarauder04
AG
I was REAL confused.
bobinator
AG
I do think he was a more nuanced character than I expected, which was nice. I think I liked it overall, but it sort of depends on what happens now and whether the events of this movie ultimately mean anything or if the whole thing is reversed later. I don't love that this movie doesn't feel complete.

Also had a bit of last season of Game Of Thrones to it though where like so much happened it just steamrolled a lot of the smaller things.
jackie childs
So when Banner was fighting Cull Obsidian at the end and finally defeated him, who else expected him to accidentally hulk out as he was celebrating and bust out of the suit?
texasaggie04
AG
You speak Groot?

Yes, it was an elective on Asgard.
AliasMan02
AG
jackie childs said:

So when Banner was fighting Cull Obsidian at the end and finally defeated him, who else expected him to accidentally hulk out as he was celebrating and bust out of the suit?
I was kinda expecting a Hulk out so that he was basically wearing body armor that was the Hulkbuster suit when things got tough.
ScottBowen
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Urban Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

But... It would also mean half the Earth's population actually does stay dead. Somehow, I don't think they do that. Too massive of an event for the MCU going forward.

I guess I'm buying into the theory that saving eveyrone will require the sacrifice of all of the original Avengers.

To me, that feels like enough of a sacrifice to give weight and meaning to all this.
Yeah, where I was trying to go with my above post was that they'd die defeating Thanos, in order to reverse the finger snap. But someone then has to pick up the Gauntlet to do it. And my guess is that is either Steve or Tony and the act of doing reverses the finger snap but he dies from wielding the stones.

They gotta go bold in finishing this thing, and I think they will. Otherwise, and as much as I generally liked this movie, the whole half the Avengers dying was an utter jerk off, when we all know Peter, BP, and the Guardians are all coming back to their respective franchises so the mouse can print more money. So if it's like, hey look, they reversed what Thanos did, everyone's back (happy face) but it took the deaths of Stark, Capt, Black Widow, and Thor or Hulk to do it (sad face) then I'm happy with that outcome.

I generally think this is the way they'd go... but how amazing would it be if they actually did leave half the universe dead? I mean, they've already decimated plenty of places that they developed (Asgard, Xandar, Knowhere). It would also be a really poignant way to emphasize some of the things that Thanos was saying - about how people eventually move on and survive, and potentially thrive - which would be a really thought-provoking way to move forward.

It's impossible to have light-hearted hero movieswhich are most of Marvel's farein a universe that just suffered that sort of catastrophe. Can you imagine a second Spider-Man movie structured around, say, high school prom in a high school where half the people had just died months before?

If this occurred in real life, it would dominate our culture and discourse for decades.
BCG Disciple
AG
The Leftovers with superheroes.
dreyOO
Just read this thread. Agree with most of the reactions. Coming from a guy that doesn't know what movies are being made and didn't read the comic books, I still love it. Thanos is a proper super villain. And within the context of this movie series, the widespread deaths was amazing. Once you see Heimdall, Loki, Gomorah die, you know this bad guy is for real. Not only the early deaths. But the ass kickings of Thor and Hulk...

Being a big Hulk fan, watching him get knocked the F out was shocking--maybe Im the only one who felt that way. But it was hard to watch. Then, you see Hulk scared to come back out all movie. That's crazy to me. The ****ing Hulk is scared to fight Thanos. When loki rolled up on Thanos, I already knew he was toast. At that point, the mood had been set and the rest of the movie was a rush. (Hell, even Thanos' henchmen were badasses. )

By the end of the movie, it felt like a Rocky fight. All of the good guys overpowered by the bad guys...but just hanging on by a thread. Or the Empire comparisons feel right as well.

Truly loved this movie. I'll watch again this week.
Ulrich
Did anyone else catch the reference to Catch Me if you Can?
TexasAggie_02
AG
PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jesus.

Wish I could be in an audience like this, not gonna lie.

You're the same guy that went to a bar for the Game of Thrones season finale and filmed it right? I can't believe there are people out there like this, on the opposite side of the spectrum from me. I'm ok with normal reactions and gasps and laughter, but people shouting random things and overreacting would ruin the movie for me.
I saw it in a packed IMAX in bryan. there were gasps and mumblings throughout, but the only time the audience cheered (and boy did they cheer) was when Thor showed up in Wakanda. I sure as hell was pumped when Thor went full Thor.
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
Ulrich said:

"Do you concur, doctor?"
TexasAggie_02
AG
Also unknown/not in IW is Christine Palmer (Rachael McAdams)
LeonardSkinner
Totally random thing I noticed in the credits, that didn't line up with what I saw in the movie.

"Medusa motion capture artist" (or something along those lines).

Did I miss something, or did we get an Inhuman Easter egg somewhere?
LeonardSkinner
TexasAggie_02 said:

Also unknown/not in IW is Christine Palmer (Rachael McAdams)

For that matter, Mordo.

Edit. Also, Zemo was alive at the end of Civil War, and Red Skull was alive in this one.
Andyzipp
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

Totally random thing I noticed in the credits, that didn't line up with what I saw in the movie.

The Medusa Performance Capture system, developed by Disney Research in Zurich, consists of a mobile rig of cameras and lights coupled with proprietary software that can reconstruct actor's faces in full motion, without using traditional motion-capture dots. The technology comes as the result of many years worth of research and scientific advances in capturing and modeling of human faces.

http://medusa.disneyresearch.com/
LeonardSkinner
Andyzipp said:

LeonardSkinner said:

The Medusa Performance Capture system, developed by Disney Research in Zurich, consists of a mobile rig of cameras and lights coupled with proprietary software that can reconstruct actor's faces in full motion, without using traditional motion-capture dots. The technology comes as the result of many years worth of research and scientific advances in capturing and modeling of human faces.

http://medusa.disneyresearch.com/

Well, you learn something new every day.
TCTTS
AG
My list is heroes / heroes' primary loved ones only. May add villains, though.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks.
Bobcat06
AG
1. Gamora isn't dead. She is trapped inside the Soul Stone. I predict that by the end of Avengers 4, Thanos will take her place in the Soul Stone and she will be freed.

2. There was a disappointingly large number of missed opportunities for characters to refer to each other as "Sherlock"
Ulrich
1. That was a REALLY well crafted movie. Felt like everyone got a fair and complete part, which can't be easy with ~20 heroes, half a dozen villains, 6-8 mcguffins, and a plot. A logistical miracle with no wasted motion. And after all that... there's still a lot of meat on the bone for ongoing storylines. Contrasts very favorably with something like The Last Jedi that tried to do essentially the same thing with fewer moving parts but fell short (imo, obviously).

2. Everyone who got dusted is coming back. I thought this was pretty obvious from Dr. Strange's comment, but i was still able to enjoy and get into the emotion of the dusting. I don't follow movie news enough to know who has sequels, it just seems logical. I don't think they'll use time travel or an alternate universe, the gauntlet will be able to undo it's own works.

3. Of those with real deaths, they could feasibly bring back any of them. I hope they don't. The best though would be Thanos resurrecting Gamora and that being the action that leads to the undoing.

4. Really funny, and most of the jokes landed. I enjoyed Ragnarok, but thought quite a few lines fell a little flat because the humor was repetitive and predictable. The only line that kind of made me roll my eyes was "that's what getting killed means". It was well delivered, but it's a variation on a joke that has already been used a number of times. Other than that, this movie was still fresh while staying true to the characters.

5. It's interesting that Stark, Thor, and Cap are probably the most willing to sacrifice themselves but they were all left alive. I think one of them gets it destroying the gauntlet. Argument for Thor: his world is already gone, and at some point it is going to get (more) obvious that he's 1500 years old but aging rapidly. That says, i think it'll be Cap, Stark will get to ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after.
wangus12
AG
RoyIII_Ag08 said:

Ulrich said:

"Do you concur, doctor?"
I actually felt that was the Sherlock reference. Holmes says it several times to Dr. Watson
wangus12
AG
jackie childs
You could add Happy to your unknown list.

I'd say Jane Foster and Sif too, but the way they were left out of Ragnarok, they may not be in future plans anyway.
Ulrich
That makes a little more sense given that RDJ and Bumblebee Slumberperch have both played Sherlock, but I haven't seen either portrayal and for some reason the line threw me right into CMIYC.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ulrich said:

Do you concur?
fig96
AG
Ulrich said:

That makes a little more sense given that RDJ and Bumblebee Slumberperch have both played Sherlock, but I haven't seen either portrayal and for some reason the line threw me right into CMIYC.
Youre missing out, the Sherlock BBC series may be the best thing that's been on television in the last several years.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
People having a good time, am I right?
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ulrich said:

Do you concur?
I don't understand why there would be CMIYC Easter Eggs in this movie. I don't see any crossover there at all with characters or actors or creatives or whatever. Even in CMIYC, Leo was saying it because it was a cliche thing he picked up from watching TV... not like the phrase is in any way unique.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.