*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

216,557 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieDem said:

Not really the movie itself, but I feel like Rian Johnson has been smug about the story. "This is how it is. Deal with it."

Maybe that's just my impression. And full disclosure on my feelings on TLJ, I didn't hate it. It's not my favorite, but I have been coming around on it since the first time I saw it. But after seeing IW, I'm more disappointed that TLJ went the way it did. It had a lot of potential to leave everyone wanting more and it just fell flat. Infinity War left me feeling the exact opposite.

(I'm having a hard time articulating exactly what I mean. Sorry.)
Which makes you wonder WTF Disney (who owns both) can make one Franchise (10+ movies) so freaking awesome, and TLJ suck so much.

Disney needs to fire everyone (starting with Kathleen Kennedy) from SW productions, wait until Marvel movies are done, the fire up the SW franchise again with the same people from Marvel in charge. Including re-booting TLJ and removing all copies of the original from 'official' existence.

EDIT: Sorry, did not mean to derail....
TCTTS
AG
People who hate TLJ this much weird me the hell out. I wasn't a huge fan, but on no planet does it deserve this kind of vitriol.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

People who hate TLJ this much weird me the hell out. I wasn't a huge fan, but on no planet does it deserve this kind of vitriol.
Star Wars meganerds are weird.
TCTTS
AG
Besides, Marvel and Star Wars feel like very different beasts, and I don't know that Feige & co would hit the home run with SW that they have with Marvel.
ScottH_01
AG
TCTTS said:

Besides, Marvel and Star Wars feel like very different beasts, and I don't know that Feige & co would hit the home run with SW that they have with Marvel.
The biggest thing that has made the Marvel movies work, and IW successful, has been patience.

DC hasn't had that, and is failing/failed.

SW and Kennedy have lacked that to a degree, and while they're not doing poorly, what TLJ tried to do would've been much more successful with a half decade of new movies to build to it. They let Rian try to use the base of the older movies to mix everything up, instead of establishing their own base that was more current and solid.

Sorry for the derail...
Bruce Almighty
AG
A big problem with Star Wars is that its a fairly simple story that's been told a million times before. Its your stereotypical fantasy story set in a sci-fi setting and was fine at just 3 movies. Expanded to 9 movies, and it becomes redundant.
ScottBowen
AG
ScottH_01 said:

TCTTS said:

The biggest thing that has made the Marvel movies work, and IW successful, has been patience.

DC hasn't had that, and is failing/failed.

SW and Kennedy have lacked that to a degree, and while they're not doing poorly, what TLJ tried to do would've been much more successful with a half decade of new movies to build to it. They let Rian try to use the base of the older movies to mix everything up, instead of establishing their own base that was more current and solid.

Sorry for the derail...
DC's cinematic universe would have been so much better if Batman had actually killed Superman, and it'd stuck. Superman is too powerful to be a useful dramatic character, and the consequences of that original sin hanging over the DCEU would have been fascinating to explore.
jackie childs
so if Deadpool had been in IW, you think he'd have asked Thanos to use the reality stone to create a reality where the DCU didn't suck?
LeonardSkinner
jackie childs said:

so if Deadpool had been in IW, you think he'd have asked Thanos to use the reality stone to create a reality where the DCU didn't suck?

Thanos would have used it to sew Deadpool's mouth shut, and we would've had X-Men Origins all over again.
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

I think it boils down to people having so much love for the original trilogy and original characters and actors (Ford, Hamill, Fisher) and then seeing all of the potential of the supposed return to those characters and that greatness flushed down the drain by what Johnson decided to do in TLJ.

I mean, imagine how bad it would be if we waited ten years to see all the Avengers team up to fight Thanos and then the director threw in a new and superfluous character named Rose who claimed in the midst of the final battle that we shouldn't fight against what we hate but fight for what we love. Uggh.

And that's just the Marvel Universe. The Star Wars universe is that magnified by 1000. You know that, you're in the movie business. People take that **** seriously.

mpl35
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

Why is everyone over analyzing 5 seconds in the stinger of a two and half hour movie?
Do you even internet bro?
fig96
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

TCTTS said:

I think it boils down to people having so much love for the original trilogy and original characters and actors (Ford, Hamill, Fisher) and then seeing all of the potential of the supposed return to those characters and that greatness flushed down the drain by what Johnson decided to do in TLJ.

I mean, imagine how bad it would be if we waited ten years to see all the Avengers team up to fight Thanos and then the director threw in a new and superfluous character named Rose who claimed in the midst of the final battle that we shouldn't fight against what we hate but fight for what we love. Uggh.

And that's just the Marvel Universe. The Star Wars universe is that magnified by 1000. You know that, you're in the movie business. People take that **** seriously.
Weren't you complaining about people talking about Star Wars like a page or two back?
ramblin_ag02
AG
I know if Iron Man went out like Luke I'd be pissed, especially if I waited 30+ years and a reboot to see him let loose
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FL_Ag1998
AG
fig96 said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

TCTTS said:

Weren't you complaining about people talking about Star Wars like a page or two back?

Yeah, I know, and now I have to red flag myself.
Farmer1906
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

I know if Iron Man went out like Luke I'd be pissed, especially if I waited 30+ years and a reboot to see him let loose
Didn't Iron Man basically already do what Luke did in Spider-Man. He accessed the suit remotely to save people. We were all fine with that.

Didn't he also argue that being superheroes is wrong and needs to be controlled in Civil War (Jedi order needs to end). He was the "wrong" side in CW, but again, we were fine with it.

Is it because Luke was an ******* to Rey?

Tony was a little bit much for Pepper and Rodey that one time.

ramblin_ag02
AG
All fine until the point Luke gives up and literally fades away. No matter how much he's trying to get away, when people need him Tony puts on the suit and starts kicking ass
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
I think what makes the Marvel Movies work more than DC and new Star Wars is that the Marvel Movies don't spend any time really contemplating the "real-ness" of what is going on.

For example: In this movie, we have within the first 15 minutes, Tony Stark accepting as a fact that Dr. Strange is a Wizard. He even makes a joke about the Banner embarrassing him in front of the Wizard. Then tells Spider-Man to go with the Wizard. We don't have the "men of science" (Tony, Bruce, and Peter) debating about if there is a Scientific Explanation for Dr. Strange's powers. He is simply a Wizard, because Marvel knows we the audience accept that Strange is a Wizard.

TLJ and DC are still trying to figure out if their "Wizards" are "Wizards" (Superman and Luke)

I think the Marvel movies would be a lot different if each movie really challenged what is going on. I mean look at the biggest issue most of us have with this movie, the ending. I think if we didn't know that there was a Spider-Man 2, GotG3, Black Panther 2, and Avengers 4 coming, we all would have loved the ending. But the real world tells us that these characters will be back, and therefore we will banter with each other whether or not the ending was hollow.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

There are countless numbers on this site who harbor at least this much vitriol for The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Do those folks also wired you out?
Saxsoon
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

There are countless numbers on this site who harbor at least this much vitriol for The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Do those folks also wired you out?

Not tc but yeah those people creep me out on a lot of levels. When I don't like something I move on not complain about it on a football message board, or any of them for that matter
redline248
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

All fine until the point Luke gives up and literally fades away. No matter how much he's trying to get away, when people need him Tony puts on the suit and starts kicking ass
This is why I don't think Tony gets an "off into the sunset" moment. He'll never retire if there are threats to humanity.
TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

The prequels are objectively sh*tty movies from a content, lazy (at the time) director who would have rather been doing anything else. There is zero artistry to those movies and it's obvious how little Lucas cared, especially when you see some of the behind the scenes footage and hear some of the behind the scenes stories. Never mind the fact that it was his way or the highway, there was no larger story group, and he consulted basically no one in the creation of those stories.

So, no, the people who harbor vitriol for those movies - myself included - do not weird me out.

The difference with TLJ is that, at least on a technical level, it IS a well-made movie from someone who deeply cares. I and many others may not agree with the decisions that were made, but those decisions were not only signed off on by a much larger contingent (who also deeply love the material), but they were decisions made with heart and enthusiasm and I just can't fault someone that much for trying as hard as Johnson did to do something great and different.

To bring this around to Marvel, the reason you hardly ever see anyone sh*ting on even the "bad" MCU movies is that it's obvious that even they were made with heart and care, they just missed the mark for whatever reasons. It's clear to almost everyone that even the least popular of the bunch are noble efforts, and thus you hardly every see Marvel fans expressing this insane kind of hate.

And I think it should be no different with Johnson.

Vitriol on the level referenced in this thread should be reserved for the filmmakers who clearly do not have their heads or hearts in the game. It's obviously fine to dislike their efforts, but the part that creeps me out is still hating something or someone THAT MUCH despite the good intentions of a hardworking filmmaker.
OnlyForNow
AG
That's why he has to die.
AMW2010
AG
Are we talking about infinity wars.... or Star Wars.... I'm confused...
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I will say, I think Star Wars tried to set up the same kind of system as marvel and it seems like either they chose poorly or Feige is one of the few people in the world capable of doing this.

Her choices have been pretty lacking, to say the least. Marvel seems to be committed to an overarching vision, and every movie plays to it.
While Star Wars has chosen great directors and actors, they seemed to make a huge misstep with Johnson in a different regard. He clearly did not care to build upon the story that Abrams was crafting, and now Abrams is back again for the 3rd installment..the whole thing is just bizarre.
dreyOO
Can we stay on topic and leave TLJ off this thread? I know it's been out a long time, but I still haven't seen it and don't need to read up on it here. Thanks
texasaggie04
AG
mpl35 said:

YellowPot_97 said:

Why is everyone over analyzing 5 seconds in the stinger of a two and half hour movie?
Do you even internet bro?

To be fair though, they've got a point. Marvel has been meticulous in their movies so far. I don't think the fact that it's daylight both places is a big deal... Could be evening in Wakanda and morning wherever fury is.
Brick Tamland
They did make a mistake in saying that Homecoming was 8 years after Avengers, then Tony saying Avengers was 6 years prior in Infinity War

But they did manage to keep Howard Stark's death date from the newspaper in Iron Man the same throughout all movies
Phat32
AG
dreyOO said:

Can we stay on topic and leave TLJ off this thread? I know it's been out a long time, but I still haven't seen it and don't need to read up on it here. Thanks

redline248
AG
It's really not a big deal. No one is going to notice except in nerd circles like this one.
jackie childs
OnlyForNow said:

i agree, at least for the Tony we now have.

but, that could all change. for instance, if Pepper gets pregnant, i could see Tony trying to find ways to protect humanity while not personally fighting the battles. he could continue funding the "new" avengers, he could pass the iron man torch to someone else, etc.

i like the idea of having RDJ available for future cameos in spidey movies or the next team-up movies.
Ag Since 83
AG
He could be the guy in the chair
The Debt
jackie childs said:

OnlyForNow said:

but, that could all change. for instance, if Pepper gets pregnant, i could see Tony trying to find ways to protect humanity while not personally fighting the battles. he could continue funding the "new" avengers, he could pass the iron man torch to someone else, etc.

i like the idea of having RDJ available for future cameos in spidey movies or the next team-up movies.

Hollywood wont have a natalist film where an action based star abandons the action to become an ideal father. That would be a bit too prolife.

Now! If it were revealed that pepper was pregnant but thanos dusted Tony Jr, then everyone is happy. You have a prolife message (Tony reversing the mass death so his son could live), and you have a film that had a no-medical-consequence abortion onscreen....everyone is represented.
Sex Panther
AG
Where do you come up with the **** you say?
M.C. Swag
AG
He's a crazy person
jtstanley4621
AG
The Debt said:

jackie childs said:

OnlyForNow said:

Hollywood wont have a natalist film where an action based star abandons the action to become an ideal father. That would be a bit too prolife.

Now! If it were revealed that pepper was pregnant but thanos dusted Tony Jr, then everyone is happy. You have a prolife message (Tony reversing the mass death so his son could live), and you have a film that had a no-medical-consequence abortion onscreen....everyone is represented.

That was maybe the most random interjection I've seen on a thread ever.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.