*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

208,741 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
dcaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One thing I learned from this film that I did not know is that Groot as a Second Language was taught as an elective on Asgard.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol y'all realize you're arguing about the capabilities of something called an INFINITY stone, right?

(Btw the vague powers of the stone is probably intentional by the studio because of the obvious plot holes they'd create one way or the other)
spaceman
AG
Thinking a little more on the ending scene .... like me, the audience I saw the movie with was stunned at first. Lots of gasping in disbelief. But after the first 6 or so, I think people realized there's no WAY they are killing THIS many. The biggest ones being of course Spider-Man, Black Panther, Star-Lord. So, why kill off so many that you know it CAN'T be permanent? If that list was confined to, say ... Groot, Mantis, Barnes, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Strange ... that's plenty to leave people feeling a sense of loss, but few enough to keep it terrifyingly plausible. Wonder why they went further?
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
texasaggie04
AG
spaceman said:

Thinking a little more on the multiple deaths that occurred .... like me, the audience I saw the movie with was stunned at first. Lots of gasping in disbelief. But after the first 6 or so, I think people realized there's no WAY they are killing THIS many. The biggest ones being of course Spider-Man, Black Panther, Star-Lord. So I was thinking, why kill off SO many? Why kill off so many that you know it CAN'T be permanent? If that list was confined to, say ... Groot, Mantis, Barnes, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Strange ... that's plenty to leave people feeling a sense of loss, but few enough to leave people thinking it could be permanent. Wonder why they went further?

Thanos said 50%, indiscriminate of who they are.
spaceman
AG
texasaggie04 said:

spaceman said:

Thinking a little more on the multiple deaths that occurred .... like me, the audience I saw the movie with was stunned at first. Lots of gasping in disbelief. But after the first 6 or so, I think people realized there's no WAY they are killing THIS many. The biggest ones being of course Spider-Man, Black Panther, Star-Lord. So I was thinking, why kill off SO many? Why kill off so many that you know it CAN'T be permanent? If that list was confined to, say ... Groot, Mantis, Barnes, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Strange ... that's plenty to leave people feeling a sense of loss, but few enough to leave people thinking it could be permanent. Wonder why they went further?

I mean, why did the WRITERS do it. The writers are more powerful than Thanos .
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
texasaggie04
AG
spaceman said:

texasaggie04 said:

spaceman said:

Thanos promised to spare them if they'd write it that way.
spaceman
AG
texasaggie04 said:

spaceman said:

texasaggie04 said:

spaceman said:

Thanos promised to spare them if they'd write it that way.
Brrr ... creating a fictional character so powerful that his power transcends the barriers between fiction and reality, subjugating his creators ....
Remind me never to go into writing.
Dr. Horrible
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Considering Starlord's mom made him two mixtapes, I hope we see a scene in Avengers 4 where somebody makes him a brand new mixtape of late 80's music for GOTG 3. Maybe even some early 90's. Maybe a few dvd's?

Gotta be Peter Parker.
Why would be need a mix tape? He has a Zune now!
PatAg
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Considering Starlord's mom made him two mixtapes, I hope we see a scene in Avengers 4 where somebody makes him a brand new mixtape of late 80's music for GOTG 3. Maybe even some early 90's. Maybe a few dvd's?

Gotta be Peter Parker.
what would Peter Parker know of music from the late 80s and 90s
PatAg
AG
Living Legend said:

TCTTS said:

Is Hemsworth our last great action star? I feel like he has his signature role with Thor, but has yet to have a signature movie that cements him as a bonafide action lead. As much as I love him, and as much as his star has steadily risen, I feel like he could and should be way more of a deal than he currently is. With a big hit outside of the Marvel movies, I think he could be up there on a peg just slightly lower than The Rock.
Idk... I have no interest in seeing any of the movies hes done outside of the MCU.
Rush was a great movie.
TexasAggie_02
AG
PatAg said:

Dr. Horrible said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Gotta be Peter Parker.
what would Peter Parker know of music from the late 80s and 90s

He's familiar with movies from the 80s
LeonardSkinner
It occurs to me that Peter could've twisted the knife a little more by mentioning the Footloose remake, and perhaps even suggesting the second one was better.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Just watched it a second time. Which is weird for me.

Anyway. Couple of thoughts.

• The gauntlet really was roasted by the finger snap. Not sure what that means, but Thanos is less powerful for sure?
  • After the finger snap, when Thanos sees young Gamora and she asks if he did it, he looks quite sad. Then, when he watches the sunrise, he looks happy. Dude is conflicted.
  • Thor's axe looks like it might have taken damage. After Thanos teleports out, part of the axe goes black.
  • The axe basically defeats the gauntlet to land in Thanos' chest.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
A few more thoughts.

I found myself liking Thanos a bit more the 2d time. Why?

He doesn't have that petty rage of other villains. But that's not why.

Until the end, he doesn't kill characters I love. But that's not why.

He's confident and powerful. That's why, apparently.

Leave it to a superhero movie to make powerful dudes appealing. Lol.
MrPlow2010
AG
I think vision is going to come back somehow. They mentioned that he is still something even without the stone. His dead body reminded me of when he was white/grey in the comics or at least that one arcade game back in the day.

rhutton125
AG
Played that arcade last week at Cidercade. It's pretty great.

I read an interview with the writers and they explained why they killed characters that you know will return, like Spider-Man and Black Panther. They basically said that it'd be a bit of a cop out if only secondary and tertiary characters were killed. Like A-listers were untouchable and they took the easy way out, or something. And I think I agree.

They also said that, they thought about how some films had been confirmed or were in the works, but in the end you can't let that affect the way you write. That they can't assume everyone knows everything that's coming up, and just to write the story the best way they can in the moment.

They also mentioned that some characters were given less screen time in this one who will have larger roles in the next, and vice versa. So I'm assuming that means, for example, Infinity War was heavier on the Strange, Star-Lord and Scarlet Witch, and the sequel will give us a heavier dose of, say, Captain America, Black Widow and Hawkeye. So that also may have played into who lived or died from the Snap.
OCEN99
AG
MrPlow2010 said:

I think vision is going to come back somehow. They mentioned that he is still something even without the stone. His dead body reminded me of when he was white/grey in the comics or at least that one arcade game back in the day.

The event that lead to white Vision:

rhutton125
AG
Got to that part in the comics lately and it's heartbreaking. Basically lobotomized my favorite Avenger.
Charlie Conway
I think Shuri made a copy of Vision's 'programing' while he was on the table.
The Debt
MrPlow2010 said:

That's moon knight
MandoArms
So I rewatched Thor Ragnarok last night and I had a question about the other blue box that is in vault on Asgard. When Hella is take her tour through the vault she mentions that most of it is a bunch of fakes. The first thing she comments on is a blue cube that looks a lot like the tesseract but it has a black metal frame around it when she sees it she sneers and say weak and then moves on. The next item she comes to is the Tesseract and she mentions it is interesting or something and then things move back to the main plot line of the movie.

What is this first blue box? Is it possible Loki passed off a fake/weaker stone to Thanos?

IG: mando_arms
Quincey P. Morris
AG
BrownCoat said:

So I rewatched Thor Ragnarok last night and I had a question about the other blue box that is in vault on Asgard. When Hella is take her tour through the vault she mentions that most of it is a bunch of fakes. The first thing she comments on is a blue cube that looks a lot like the tesseract but it has a black metal frame around it when she sees it she sneers and say weak and then moves on. The next item she comes to is the Tesseract and she mentions it is interesting or something and then things move back to the main plot line of the movie.

What is this first blue box? Is it possible Loki passed off a fake/weaker stone to Thanos?

The one with the frame is that deal the frost giants used to freeze people right?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The Debt said:

MrPlow2010 said:

That's moon knight
Nope, that's Vision.
Farmer1906
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

The Debt said:

MrPlow2010 said:

That's moon knight
Nope, that's Vision.
Nope, that's a joke.
Ag Since 83
AG
Lucky #007 said:

BrownCoat said:

The one with the frame is that deal the frost giants used to freeze people right?

Yeah it was in the first Thor movie. The casket I think?
M.C. Swag
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Lucky #007 said:

BrownCoat said:

Yep, per Wiki:
Max Power
AG
Finally got to catch the movie Tuesday afternoon, a few things:

-Thor + Guardians = gold. It's a shame they didn't really figure out Thor till Ragnarok/IW. Could totally see Hemsworth blowing up like Pratt, he's too damn likeable. If his last appearance as Thor is IW2 then so be it, we'll be seeing much more of him.

-Was really blown away at how awesome Thanos and The Black Order were, such a good set of villains. I didn't know they were going to be able to give Thanos a real set of motivations outside of mass death, for death itself, well done.

-Dinklage, awesome!

-The original Avengers all survived, can only assume Hawkeye did as well since none of the other originals died either.

-Only way I can see this playing out is for them to figure out time travel, as others have said Ant-Man and the Wasp must figure that out in the next movie. Makes it a huge tie-in for IW2.

-Couldn't be more pumped for Captain Marvel. Given her movie takes place in the 90's, which is before the events of Iron Man, and she makes no appearance during Avengers 1 or 2 she must be off planet earth is all I can think. I did think it was odd that Nick Fury basically used a pager to contact her.

Would like to see it again to see if I missed anything, but with a 2 year old that's unlikely for a while.

Can't believe we have to wait a year for the sequel, on the plus side we'll likely get season 8 of GOT out of the way before that happens.
M.C. Swag
AG
Quote:

-Only way I can see this playing out is for them to figure out time travel, as others have said Ant-Man and the Wasp must figure that out in the next movie. Makes it a huge tie-in for IW2.
It's hard to say since we aren't really sure what the 'soul' gem is and which of the stones actually 'killed' everyone? It's possible that someone else could use the reality or soul stone to just resurrect everyone without turning back time.
The Debt
M.C. Swag said:

Ag Since 83 said:

Lucky #007 said:

BrownCoat said:

Yep, per Wiki:

Thor 1 had Laufrey wielding the casket, iirc. Malekiths weapon was the aether (reality stone in fluid form)
M.C. Swag
AG
Yea i know, just putting up the 'weapon' description.
The Debt
I'm just glad they recognized Hawkeye as useless for this film.
Smallz
https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1403188286l/19539378.jpg

Read the comic they did pretty well with sticking to the original plan and I'm sure Nebula will do her part in the next film to restore order to the universe.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Comicbooks Explained threw out a cool hypothesis....what if they brought in World Breaker or Heart of the Monster Hulk in AV4?

InternetFan02
AG
Quote:

-Couldn't be more pumped for Captain Marvel. Given her movie takes place in the 90's, which is before the events of Iron Man, and she makes no appearance during Avengers 1 or 2 she must be off planet earth is all I can think. I did think it was odd that Nick Fury basically used a pager to contact her.
i think the use of the pager confirms that she leaves earth in the 90s and gives it to Fury before leaving.

Also random note my son speculated that maybe we'll get a backstory to Fury's line in Captain america 2 "the last time I trusted somebody....I lost an eye "
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Can't believe we have to wait a year for the sequel, on the plus side we'll likely get season 8 of GOT out of the way before that happens.
Will we? I see it starting up probably in the summer, to be honest.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.