*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

208,863 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Stop him how?

I assume that the 1 chance in 1 million+ is the plan that Dr. Strange is executing.
Go back. Warn Xandar (?) about his coming. Or Kill Thanos at birth. or idk...literally go back and tell Quill not to punch Thanos while they were inches away from getting the guantlet. There's a million things.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks. Will add those as well.
TCTTS
AG
Forgot about Mantis too. She died, right?
Hulla Baller
AG
Yep, she's dust.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks.
TCTTS
AG
Alright, after a ton of help, this should be the final list...

STILL ALIVE:

Earth
Captain America
Thor
Bruce Banner
Black Widow
War Machine
Okoye
M'Baku
Rocket

Titan
Tony Stark
Nebula

DEATH BY DUST:

Spider-man
Black Panther
Doctor Strange
Bucky Barnes
Falcon
Star-Lord
Drax
Groot
Mantis
Scarlett Witch
Nick Fury
Maria Hill

DEATH BY DEATH:

Loki
Gamora
Vision
Heimdall

UNKNOWN:

In IW
Shuri
Wong
General Ross
Pepper Potts
Eitri

Not in IW
Hawkeye
Ant-Man
The Wasp
Hank Pym
Sharon Carter
Everett Ross
Collector
Valkyrie
Korg
Grandmaster
Aunt Mae
Ned

Christine Palmer
Laura Barton
M.C. Swag
AG
TCTTS said:

Forgot about Mantis too. She died, right?
haha here's a time article with the list, if you want to save yourself the trouble. I

http://time.com/5252990/avengers-infinity-war-deaths/
titanmaster_race
Why did they not use one of Dr. Strange's magic portals to cut the gauntlet off???? I wish they would have discussed it and had an avenger explicitly say why they couldn't do it, because to me it seemed like the obvious first course of action. (Maybe they did, and I missed that dialogue...)
Philip J Fry
AG
They grabbed his gauntlet after Strange saw the future. Getting the gauntlet appears to not be the way to ultimately beat him.
TCTTS
AG
We're more detailed!
M.C. Swag
AG
Philip J Fry said:

They grabbed his gauntlet after Strange saw the future. Getting the gauntlet appears to not be the way to ultimately beat him.
I dont see how thats possible but either way the point is there's an inifinite number of ways Strange could go back and incapacitate Thanos or at least ensure none of the stones fall into his grasp.
M.C. Swag
AG
I wish they woulda kept Thanos' motivation being to try to impress 'Death.' His plan to 'equal' out the universe doesn't really make sense once Thanos controlled space, time and reality, why wouldn't he just...y'know double the resources instead of killing half the people? He could literally transform landfills into bountiful fields of food or trees?
TexasAggie_02
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Stop him how?

I assume that the 1 chance in 1 million+ is the plan that Dr. Strange is executing.

Well, Wong cut that guy's arm off by closing a portal on him.

How about relieving Thanos of his head, or arm?

Hell, use the Eye of Agamotto to freeze time, and then take the glove.

Also surprised that Strange didn't use the mirror realm in NYC. Obviously couldn't contain Thanos bc of the space stone, but battling the minions with stark in the mirror realm would've been interesting.
CoachRTM
AG
As far as the "loss of stakes"....

... if they reverse the "dusted" deaths but leave Gamora and all the rest of the ones that actually died, how does that effect your thoughts?

To me, the stakes are still there at that point. If you disagree, then doesn't the mere existence of a time stone render the universe with a "loss of stakes"?
ScottBowen
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I hate time travel in movies. Why didn't Dr Strange just reverse time and stop Thanos?....
If his main goal was to keep us on the track that led to the single opportunity he saw for a victory, using the time stone might have somehow scrambled the future options he saw. Thanos made a point to mention that Strange never used his most powerful weapon in the fight.
Dr. Horrible
Sharon Carter on the unknown list. Someone else I was thinking too, but forgot.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jesus.

Wish I could be in an audience like this, not gonna lie.

You're the same guy that went to a bar for the Game of Thrones season finale and filmed it right? I can't believe there are people out there like this, on the opposite side of the spectrum from me. I'm ok with normal reactions and gasps and laughter, but people shouting random things and overreacting would ruin the movie for me.
TCTTS
AG
Good call. Added her. Thanks.
jtstanley4621
AG
Here's the interesting thing though: if one of the avengers does weild the gauntlet to somehow reverse things, they're gonna have to kill someone they love/care about, right?
BigTimeAlum
AG
Yes, my guess is a Cap/Tony scenario there.
The Debt
jtstanley4621 said:

Here's the interesting thing though: if one of the avengers does weild the gauntlet to somehow reverse things, they're gonna have to kill someone they love/care about, right?

Just develop a love for thanos
Farmer1906
AG
Like that was even possible.
Charlie Conway
Why couldn't Dr Strange just take them back in time before Thanos get the power stone and keep him from getting it, and then if he succeeds go back and try again, and again, and yes again until they get it right

My point is I don't really like when movies introduce time traveling because I think it leads to too many plot holes
bthotugigem05
AG
What if GotG3 is the story about how Xandar lost the stone? Told in retrospect by Rocket so the rest of the cast can be back without having to explain it.
AgMarauder04
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

What if GotG3 is the story about how Xandar lost the stone? Told in retrospect by Rocket so the rest of the cast can be back without having to explain it.

A movie where we already know the outcome is in which most of the good guys are slaughtered?
AliasMan02
AG
Charlie Conway said:

Why couldn't Dr Strange just take them back in time before Thanos get the power stone and keep him from getting it, and then if he succeeds go back and try again, and again, and yes again until they get it right

My point is I don't really like when movies introduce time traveling because I think it leads to too many plot holes

The only time manipulation we've seen has been very local and limited. Never more than a few minutes, and involved actual reversal of time rather than "time travel." So I don't know that going back and killing Baby Thanos or going back and traveling to Xandar or whatever is possible.

Trap Thanos in a time loop like Dormamu? Maybe that, I guess. But again ultimately Strange is playing a longer game by letting Thanos have the stone, knowing what would happen.

I agree Time Travel can be tricky and problematic, but Marvel has treated it with a lot of restraint.
OCEN99
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

A movie where we already know the outcome is in which most of the good guys are slaughtered?
Worked for Rogue One.
jtstanley4621
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I thought all of the guardians were shocked to hear that Xandar was decimated. Didn't Thor tell them that?
M.C. Swag
AG
They've treated it with a lot of vagueness so no one knows the established rules of any of the stones lol.
bobinator
AG
Haven't read everything but saw it earlier today and I'm not sure what I think. I guess it maybe depends on what happens next? I agree that Thanos' motivation is weird. He has enough power to do anything.
texasaggie04
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

I thought all of the guardians were shocked to hear that Xandar was decimated. Didn't Thor tell them that?

That is correct.
texasaggie04
AG
Urban Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

But... It would also mean half the Earth's population actually does stay dead. Somehow, I don't think they do that. Too massive of an event for the MCU going forward.

I guess I'm buying into the theory that saving eveyrone will require the sacrifice of all of the original Avengers.

To me, that feels like enough of a sacrifice to give weight and meaning to all this.
Yeah, where I was trying to go with my above post was that they'd die defeating Thanos, in order to reverse the finger snap. But someone then has to pick up the Gauntlet to do it. And my guess is that is either Steve or Tony and the act of doing reverses the finger snap but he dies from wielding the stones.

They gotta go bold in finishing this thing, and I think they will. Otherwise, and as much as I generally liked this movie, the whole half the Avengers dying was an utter jerk off, when we all know Peter, BP, and the Guardians are all coming back to their respective franchises so the mouse can print more money. So if it's like, hey look, they reversed what Thanos did, everyone's back (happy face) but it took the deaths of Stark, Capt, Black Widow, and Thor or Hulk to do it (sad face) then I'm happy with that outcome.

I generally think this is the way they'd go... but how amazing would it be if they actually did leave half the universe dead? I mean, they've already decimated plenty of places that they developed (Asgard, Xandar, Knowhere). It would also be a really poignant way to emphasize some of the things that Thanos was saying - about how people eventually move on and survive, and potentially thrive - which would be a really thought-provoking way to move forward.

agenjake
texasaggie04 said:

That is correct.

I read that in the drunken Rocket voice from GOTG1.
AgMarauder04
AG
Yeah, but they accomplished their mission. Xandar lost the stone they were protecting.
AgMarauder04
AG
bobinator said:

Haven't read everything but saw it earlier today and I'm not sure what I think. I guess it maybe depends on what happens next? I agree that Thanos' motivation is weird. He has enough power to do anything.

His motivation, IIRC, is almost altruistic. Overpopulation killed Titan, and he wants to spare the universe that same fate?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.