*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

208,443 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

fig96 said:

aTmAg said:

israeliag said:

aTmAg - thanks for your input. You're definitely allowed to have your opinion and that you took your kid to see a movie you knew you wouldn't enjoy is to be respected.

I for one was curious to hear what this was like for someone who hadn't followed these films.
Special effects were great. Acting pretty good. The fact that the bad guy won was unexpected and rewarding surprise. I was thinking, "are you sh**ing me?" when it looked like Thor was going to kill him so easily with that axe.

The big battles got a little tiresome. When a few of major characters got killed, I was surprised. But by the end, so many were dead, that I knew that it wasn't for real. A bunch of those are going to come back, so the deaths lost a lot of their punch.

That being said, I probably will take my kid to the sequel. I won't hate it or anything, so don't get me wrong.
Not quite sure what genre of film you might be into based on your responses, but do yourself a favor and watch Thor Ragnarok. It's like an 80s fantasy space opera and it's hilarious.
I can't tell if you are joking, but that sounds really bad. Like cop rock bad.

Ok, at this point I seriously want to know what movies you watch for fun. As in lighthearted, fun movies that put a smile on your face.
I don't watch many movies in theaters as of late. The last one I watched was Star Wars. I always see those in the theaters (not opening night or anything). I did watch the Hangover on a business trip, and thought it was hilarious. On TV, I watch(ed) Silicon Valley, Parks and Rec, Seinfeld, etc. Some of my most favorite lighthearted movies of all time are True Lies, Tropic Thunder, Airplane, Groundhog Day, etc. Regarding Marvel movies, I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was great. I had no idea that it was part of a larger universe that took itself more seriously. I watched it as a standalone lighthearted fun movie that was meant to put a smile on my face, and it did.

Ok, so I honestly would think that a good portion of these Marvel movies would appeal to you, at least on a superficial level. Thor: Ragnorak, AntMan, IronMan
I've seen IronMan. I liked that one.

I have slowly realized one common theme in movies that I tend to like less, and that is the dependence on karate. And not merely having karate, but having it be the primary determination on who "wins" or "loses". It is lazy writing to have a situation where all the antagonist needs to do is grit his teeth harder, and "want it more". So for example, Rocky was good, not because of the final fight scene, but because of his situation, how he got there, relationship with Adrian, etc. The subsequent Rocky movies were jokes (excluding Creed), because they were little more than training montages and "wanting it more".

Looking back, all of the shows I really love have no karate at all (Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Hunt For Red October, A Few Good Men, etc.). The movies that I do like that have karate, either don't take themselves too seriously (True Lies), or make less important to the story (The Dark Knight, Iron Man). I think one reason the Star Wars Prequels suck compared to the originals is how much victory or defeat depended on physical fighting skills. Even though The Return of the Jedi had some of it, it was not the central theme or cause of "victory".

I realize that superhero movies are not going to be able to avoid that very much. I guess that is why they are at a fundamental disadvantage in my view. They have to really go out of their way to make the story good and smart to overcome that (As TDK did).
hurleyag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I thought Banner had no control over it. If he gets angry, Hulk came out.
He's always angry.
lostrg
Rocket Racoon didn't deserve to be spared
AggieLitigator
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Maybe Drax didn't disappear. Maybe he's just standing so still.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Where did you steal that joke from?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

https://movieweb.com/avengers-infinity-war-hulk-end-fight-thanos/

Quote:

Joe Russo discussed the reasoning behind having Hulk sit the majority of Infinity War out. The director admitted that it was not because he was afraid after confronting Thanos on the Asgardian refugee ship. Instead, it was for a completely different, but very important reason. Russo had this to say.

"I think people have interpreted it as Hulk's scared. I mean, certainly, that's not a - I don't know that the Hulk is ever... he's had his ass kicked before, and he loves a good fight. But I think that it's really reflective of the journey from Ragnarok. Is that these two characters are constantly in conflict with each other over control. And I think that if the Hulk were to say why, it'd be (that) Banner only wants Hulk for fighting. I think he's had enough of saving Banner's ass."

You know, the director can say that this could be the reason....but c'mon. Hulk got his ass handed to him worse than he's ever had before and would not come back out to play after that.

Pouting because he doesn't like Banner and wants to spite him or refuse to save him is just a bunch of BS.
The Shank Ag
GiveEmHellBill said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

Joe Russo discussed the reasoning behind having Hulk sit the majority of Infinity War out. The director admitted that it was not because he was afraid after confronting Thanos on the Asgardian refugee ship. Instead, it was for a completely different, but very important reason. Russo had this to say.

"I think people have interpreted it as Hulk's scared. I mean, certainly, that's not a - I don't know that the Hulk is ever... he's had his ass kicked before, and he loves a good fight. But I think that it's really reflective of the journey from Ragnarok. Is that these two characters are constantly in conflict with each other over control. And I think that if the Hulk were to say why, it'd be (that) Banner only wants Hulk for fighting. I think he's had enough of saving Banner's ass."

You know, the director can say that this could be the reason....but c'mon. Hulk got his ass handed to him worse than he's ever had before and would not come back out to play after that.

Pouting because he doesn't like Banner and wants to spite him or refuse to save him is just a bunch of BS.
Though Banner did right out say "Man Hulk, we have a lot of stuff to work on buddy" or something to that effect. Kind of hinting that he and the hulk are at a personal crossroads in their, what would you call it, relationship?
TexasAggie_02
AG
For the gamers out there, Fortnite is doing a limited time Avengers Crossover gametype.

Dro07
AG
I thought there would be a snap and half the people die when you become Thanos
mpl35
AG
The Shank Ag said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

Though Banner did right out say "Man Hulk, we have a lot of stuff to work on buddy" or something to that effect. Kind of hinting that he and the hulk are at a personal crossroads in their, what would you call it, relationship?

I never even considered that Hulk was scared until somebody on here threw it out there. I always assumed that Hullk was pissed at Banner and was refusing to help. I thought that was the clear portrayal in the film. Hulk was gotten slapped around before and he always keeps going...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

But what if I want it more than the person who has it?
FL_Ag1998
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

fig96 said:

aTmAg said:

israeliag said:

aTmAg - thanks for your input. You're definitely allowed to have your opinion and that you took your kid to see a movie you knew you wouldn't enjoy is to be respected.

I for one was curious to hear what this was like for someone who hadn't followed these films.
Special effects were great. Acting pretty good. The fact that the bad guy won was unexpected and rewarding surprise. I was thinking, "are you sh**ing me?" when it looked like Thor was going to kill him so easily with that axe.

The big battles got a little tiresome. When a few of major characters got killed, I was surprised. But by the end, so many were dead, that I knew that it wasn't for real. A bunch of those are going to come back, so the deaths lost a lot of their punch.

That being said, I probably will take my kid to the sequel. I won't hate it or anything, so don't get me wrong.
Not quite sure what genre of film you might be into based on your responses, but do yourself a favor and watch Thor Ragnarok. It's like an 80s fantasy space opera and it's hilarious.
I can't tell if you are joking, but that sounds really bad. Like cop rock bad.

Ok, at this point I seriously want to know what movies you watch for fun. As in lighthearted, fun movies that put a smile on your face.
I don't watch many movies in theaters as of late. The last one I watched was Star Wars. I always see those in the theaters (not opening night or anything). I did watch the Hangover on a business trip, and thought it was hilarious. On TV, I watch(ed) Silicon Valley, Parks and Rec, Seinfeld, etc. Some of my most favorite lighthearted movies of all time are True Lies, Tropic Thunder, Airplane, Groundhog Day, etc. Regarding Marvel movies, I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was great. I had no idea that it was part of a larger universe that took itself more seriously. I watched it as a standalone lighthearted fun movie that was meant to put a smile on my face, and it did.

Ok, so I honestly would think that a good portion of these Marvel movies would appeal to you, at least on a superficial level. Thor: Ragnorak, AntMan, IronMan

I'd disagree...... based on his taste, lack of seeing many movies in theater, etc....and my own position on comic based movies which is similar (yet I see most/all of them).

There is a difference between Thor:Ragnarok, Guardians, Avengers and most of the rest of MCU movies.

That lighthearted fun, popcorn movie element is missing in most of the standalone character movies. Black Panther is maybe the exception and Iron Man but that was wayyy back. But Thor 1 and 2, and even Iron Man 2 and 3, and Hulk and most of the Captain America movies are just ok....and Antman and Dr. Strange....meh. Not bad but I didn't really care to ever see any of them again.

You could just watch just the best of them:
Captain America: Civil War
Guardians 1
Black Panther
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers 1
Avengers Infinity War
and maybe...maybe Spiderman Homecoming if it really appeals to you

Those are a different bunch and a superior fun film compared to the rest - imho.

that's just my outsider (lurker) on MCU films opinion from someone who is a huge movie fan but not a huge comic based super hero movie fan.

Oh and Deadpool.....not MCU but you must see Deadpool!!!!!

Ehh, I kind of overstated it when I said he'd enjoy a lot of the Marvel movies, but you seem to be looking at them through your eyes and not his. That's why I specifically stated AntMan (a fun heist film) and Ragnarok (another fun film like GoTG). Especially if he liked IronMan.
redline248
AG
mpl35 said:

The Shank Ag said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

I never even considered that Hulk was scared until somebody on here threw it out there. I always assumed that Hullk was pissed at Banner and was refusing to help. I thought that was the clear portrayal in the film. Hulk was gotten slapped around before and he always keeps going...
Funny how things are interpreted differently by different viewers. I thought it was clear he was all, "no thanks, been there done that," when that initial fight in NY started.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

i think they might be overthinking this...

i've yet to talk to anybody who has seen IW who actually believes the "snap deaths" are going to stick. if that's the case, i don't think they're really "spoiling" anything by showing spidey, black panther or the guardians (other than Gamora) in trailers or campaigns for the next round of movies.

i think back to Empire Strikes Back. we were left with Han being frozen in carbonite and Luke getting his hand chopped off. then we see the trailer for Return of the Jedi and Han's fighting on Endor and Luke's wearing a glove.

Now, Gamora is obviously a little different. I could see Marvel actually try not to address her until Avengers 4 comes out.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Farmer1906 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

But what if I want it more than the person who has it?
AgMarauder04
AG
Only real issue, as was brought up earlier, I think will be Spidey.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Yeah I mean my daughter and my wife saw this independently with no background, no knowledge of the stories or upcoming movies and they both got it without any help.

they realize there will be more movies and this was only a precursor to that...and they aren't going to be spoilered by anything cuz they don't care.

people fall into 3 categories here:
1 - they know and can't be spoilered and will see them all anyway
2 - they don't know but don't care and just go to see movies
3 - they don't care and won't see the movies anyway

You can't really spoiler any of those.

jtstanley4621
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Yeah I mean my daughter and my wife saw this independently with no background, no knowledge of the stories or upcoming movies and they both got it without any help.

they realize there will be more movies and this was only a precursor to that...and they aren't going to be spoilered by anything cuz they don't care.

people fall into 3 categories here:
1 - they know and can't be spoilered and will see them all anyway
2 - they don't know but don't care and just go to see movies
3 - they don't care and won't see the movies anyway

You can't really spoiler any of those.
My roommate falls into that category. It's honestly kind of annoying. He will nearly immediately spoil whatever plot for himself as soon as the first spoiler reviews come out. But he'll still go see the movie. As a result whenever I see a movie with him if there's some kind of twist he never really gives a genuine reaction because he already knew it was going to happen.

The only way to get a genuine reaction out of him is to just sort of randomly watch something that he hasn't had the chance to look up yet haha. For example he went into Infinity War already knowing what was gonna happen. Don't get why you'd spoil that for yourself especially since he'd seen all the other movies leading up to it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My former roommate was like this with GoT. She'd also sort of taunt us about knowing everything about the next season already. Really annoying.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Gamora will just get the...

Game of Thrones spoiler below

...Jon Snow treatment between seasons 5 and 6
dave94
AG
aTmAg said:

Quote:

I have slowly realized one common theme in movies that I tend to like less, and that is the dependence on karate. And not merely having karate, but having it be the primary determination on who "wins" or "loses". It is lazy writing to have a situation where all the antagonist needs to do is grit his teeth harder, and "want it more". So for example, Rocky was good, not because of the final fight scene, but because of his situation, how he got there, relationship with Adrian, etc. The subsequent Rocky movies were jokes (excluding Creed), because they were little more than training montages and "wanting it more".

Looking back, all of the shows I really love have no karate at all (Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Hunt For Red October, A Few Good Men, etc.). The movies that I do like that have karate, either don't take themselves too seriously (True Lies), or make less important to the story (The Dark Knight, Iron Man). I think one reason the Star Wars Prequels suck compared to the originals is how much victory or defeat depended on physical fighting skills. Even though The Return of the Jedi had some of it, it was not the central theme or cause of "victory".

I realize that superhero movies are not going to be able to avoid that very much. I guess that is why they are at a fundamental disadvantage in my view. They have to really go out of their way to make the story good and smart to overcome that (As TDK did).

I'm sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but the idea that karate is the reason you don't like a lot of movies is kind of funny.
512Ag
AG
Finally got to see it last night. Can't really add much to what I've read so far on this thread. Just a great movie.

My one big non-MCU takeaway is that it makes me so much more disappointed in The Last Jedi. Both movies leave us at an intermission point, but only one was a truly satisfying story. Infinity War was also able to be satisfying without being smug about it like TLJ is. Crazy stuff happens in both, but IW didn't feel like it was shoving something down our throats that we didn't really want.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Infinity War was also able to be satisfying without being smug about it like TLJ is.
How can a movie be smug?
512Ag
AG
Not really the movie itself, but I feel like Rian Johnson has been smug about the story. "This is how it is. Deal with it."

Maybe that's just my impression. And full disclosure on my feelings on TLJ, I didn't hate it. It's not my favorite, but I have been coming around on it since the first time I saw it. But after seeing IW, I'm more disappointed that TLJ went the way it did. It had a lot of potential to leave everyone wanting more and it just fell flat. Infinity War left me feeling the exact opposite.

(I'm having a hard time articulating exactly what I mean. Sorry.)
AgMarauder04
AG
You sure you're in the right place, buddy?
512Ag
AG
I think that pretty much every time I log in on TexAgs.
FL_Ag1998
AG
AggieDem said:

Not really the movie itself, but I feel like Rian Johnson has been smug about the story. "This is how it is. Deal with it."

Maybe that's just my impression. And full disclosure on my feelings on TLJ, I didn't hate it. It's not my favorite, but I have been coming around on it since the first time I saw it. But after seeing IW, I'm more disappointed that TLJ went the way it did. It had a lot of potential to leave everyone wanting more and it just fell flat. Infinity War left me feeling the exact opposite.

(I'm having a hard time articulating exactly what I mean. Sorry.)

No, seriously....don't start any Star Wars discussions on this thread or I'll red flag the **** out of you.
AgMarauder04
AG
Might have been my comprehension. Took about 3 readthroughs to realize you were talking about IW and not TLJ.
512Ag
AG
I promise I'm not trying to start at Star Wars topic. I like both Marvel and SW and was just comparing the two big recent movies that both leave us at transition points in their respective universes. My thought is that Infinity War was the much more satisfying of the two. Like I said, the wording in my initial post was...bad.

Let's move on. Sincerely, no offense/hijack intended.
aTmAg
AG
dave94 said:

aTmAg said:

Quote:

I'm sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but the idea that karate is the reason you don't like a lot of movies is kind of funny.
It's not the karate, per se. I'm talking about the "Rocky effect" that just so happens to occur in most fighting movies. It happens in other types of movies too. For example, the protagonist is getting beat at sport X, and he grits his teeth, grunts, and explodes with amazing power and wins the day.

So for example, imagine how lame the ending of Silence of the Lambs would have been if Hannibal Lecter had used karate skills to escape his jail cell rather than his smarts? Imagine how lame Breaking Bad would have been if Walter White started kicking everybody's ass like Morgan from the Walking Dead? Hell the effect in question could be used in a movie about chess. Just have the young protagonist think "really hard" and save the day by beating some even Russian chess nemesis with some amazing move.

As if all that is necessary for us to win whatever we want in life is some slow-mo and a determined face. These types of things remove the burden from the writer to the character. And that's lazy when it's that easy to write a character as superhuman.
TexasAggie_02
AG
it's a superhero movie, superheroes smash ****
Sex Panther
AG
"HULK KARATE!"
FL_Ag1998
AG
AggieDem said:

I promise I'm not trying to start at Star Wars topic. I like both Marvel and SW and was just comparing the two big recent movies that both leave us at transition points in their respective universes. My thought is that Infinity War was the much more satisfying of the two. Like I said, the wording in my initial post was...bad.

Let's move on. Sincerely, no offense/hijack intended.

Haha, no offense taken, I just don't want to see this thread end up like the SW threads.
Living Legend
AG
dave94 said:

aTmAg said:

Quote:

I'm assuming that the whole "karate" thing is a bit/troll.
FL_Ag1998
AG
This is the last I'll say on this thread hijack subject, but I honestly do get what you're saying. While there's a place for the cliche-ridden "perseverance" movie where the hero struggles with his confidence before just simply trying harder and that's what finally puts him over the edge to defeat the villain, I do find it truly more fun to watch a movie where the hero has to figure out an angle to beat the bad guy/accomplish his goal.

However, you're ruling out some truly good sports movies that kind of hinge on the "finally believing in yourself/team finally comes together/training harder than ever before" trope. Like Miracle. There's nothing fancy about this movie, and it truly is just a story about the players training harder and coming together and that's how they defeat the Russian team...but when done right a simple story like this can be great entertainment.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.