*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

208,757 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
hurleyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

There must be some law about the portals not able to be opened where something is currently occupying that space, or something. All the portals have always been opened in air. Not in a wall, or the floor, for example.

Just a guess
That is what I would think as well. The appendage would have to be voluntarily entered into the portal.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
The Debt said:

Ben Shapiro, re: malthusian (thanos') arguement. "This movie could have been much shorter if you sat Thanos down with Thomas Sowell."

I also thought the same thing.

I realize that many, if not all, of the "dusted" characters will return. It's just a matter of how they go about doing it.

I think the fact that Dr. Strange willingly gave up the time stone is a clue. He has a plan. He knows that it will somehow be possible to (I assume) get the time stone back or somehow use it to reverse some, if not all, of what
Thanos has done.

Will Captain Marvel be "Infinity War part II" or is Captain Marvel only one of a set of films that will lead back up to Infinity War Part II?
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
The Debt
Occassionally Hollywood surprises me by their villain choice. Probably the most anti-government film in recent history was the winter soldier. It was basically a libertarian film. It was security vs safety. Redford's character was the mouthpiece of modern statist arguements.

Now we have thanos who is a villain that believes in the overpopulation myth. Rather than just reducing procreation in the galaxy, like modern leftists argue, he takes it to the progressive conclusion.

These were arguably the 2 best "films" of the universe. There are some good popcorn flicks like ragnorak and gotg, but as far as the message of those, defeat your entitled btchy sister and beware foreign conquerors.
Fenrir
hurleyag said:

redline248 said:

There must be some law about the portals not able to be opened where something is currently occupying that space, or something. All the portals have always been opened in air. Not in a wall, or the floor, for example.

Just a guess
That is what I would think as well. The appendage would have to be voluntarily entered into the portal.
Loki didn't voluntarily enter the portal in Ragnarok.

I think the rules around the portals, like most things in superhero movies, is whatever makes most sense for the scene at hand that doesn't directly contradict something previously shown.

Since Thor now controls the bifrost I guess he could have technically used it to cut Thanos in half (or at least remove his arm) like the dragon from Ragnarok.
hurleyag
AG
Good point, I completely forgot about that.
benMath08
AG
Any time you violate the laws of physics you get yourself into a bit of a writing trap. I think as an audience we just have to accept that it would be lame from a story perspective if Dr Strange just walked around cutting heads off to solve every problem.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can Strange/Wong create portals to basically anywhere? (I'm thinking yes since Wong creates a portal to what looks like the North Pole.)

Therefore, why wouldn't Dr Strange be able to create a portal from space back to Earth, when they're discussing heading back to Earth?
Phat32
AG
This is my problem with Strange. Seems like he'd be the most OP character because he could just teleport a bad guy to another dimension and then game over.
The Debt
Portal Thanos onto the surface of a star or at the rim of a black hole.
benMath08
AG
The Debt said:

Those portals go both ways...
mpl35
AG
Quote:

He's a described as a mad Titan, but his plan is anything but crazy. It's coldly, simply logical.
I thought it was a obviously illogical plan. 50% of all people? Some planets are surely not over burdened. Some surely are way overburdened. They will get back to where they were in an eyeblink (considering Thanos is 1000s or years old). All he did was provide a temporary reprieve.
LeonardSkinner
benMath08 said:

The Debt said:

Those portals go both ways...

Today I learned that Highway 6 is a portal created by Dr. Strange.
Dro07
AG
did you just assume that portals preference?
InternetFan02
AG
What happened to the Infinity Gauntlet and the stones after the snap? Thanos still has them?

When Thanos told young Gamora in the dream What did it cost? ...Everything is he referring to it cost him his humanity as he killed the only thing he ever loved or is he referring to something about losing the ability to harness the power of the stones? Or did he just lose the gauntlet and it needs to be found?
jeffk
AG
He was still wearing it during the last shot of him in the hut, but it looked trashed and his whole arm was pretty messed up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Everything is he referring to it cost him his humanity as he killed the only thing he ever loved
Yes.
The Debt
Quote:

Everything is he referring to it cost him his humanity as he killed the only thing he ever loved

Why do we apply humanism to alien cultures?
TexasAggie_02
AG
yukmonkey said:

This is my problem with Strange. Seems like he'd be the most OP character because he could just teleport a bad guy to another dimension and then game over.

Except Thanos has the space stone. If it weren't for that, you could probably trap him in the mirror realm for eternity.
Bobcat06
AG
InternetFan02 said:

What happened to the Infinity Gauntlet and the stones after the snap? Thanos still has them?
In the final scene as Thanos walks towards the sunset, in the corner of the screen you can see he still has the gauntlet on.
M.C. Swag
AG
Bobcat06 said:

InternetFan02 said:

In the final scene as Thanos walks towards the sunset, in the corner of the screen you can see he still has the gauntlet on.
Also, he used the guantlet to teleport away from Thor after he snapped his finger. So it definitely still works.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wild guess would be that the stones still work individually, but the power of the gauntlet has been spent and "The Snap" cannot be done again.
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wild guess would be that the stones still work individually, but the power of the gauntlet has been spent and "The Snap" cannot be done again.
Yeah, we don't know much about what is reusable and not, but the gauntlet looked kinda effed up. I would bet it's not as good as it once was. In movie canon, we know nothing about it. Was it ONLY built for the snap as a one off?
TexasAggie_02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

yeah, the gauntlet was specifically designed to withstand the power of all the stones at once. looks like the magnitude of what happened decimated the gauntlet. In GOTG1, the collector mentioned that the stones are so powerful, very few beings existed that would even wield one, and that there was once a group that were able to wield all 6 once; but even then, the power of the stones was too great and it killed them. Thanos needed the gauntlet in order to be able to harness that power without killing himself.

This is perhaps how the Avengers win. Thanos still has the stones at his disposal, but his ability to wield them will now be limited.

It's been stated several times, but i think Strange saw that giving up the time stone was the best play, b/c Thanos would move on. Putting up a fight for the stone probably resulted in all of their deaths, leaving no one to fight on after the dusting.
tamusc
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

In GOTG1, the collector mentioned that the stones are so powerful, very few beings existed that would even wield one, and that there was once a group that were able to wield all 6 once; but even then, the power of the stones was too great and it killed them.
They were just wielding the power stone, not all six, and it still destroyed them.
Fenrir
I don't know that it's been stated what killed off the Celestials in the MCU. I don't recall anything anyway...
aTmAg
AG
I just watched it with my kid. Meh.

I just can't get into superhero movies (except for Nolan's Batman movies). The guys who die don't really die. Too many cliche scenes. Too much "just grunt and try harder" moments, etc. And I can't get past the notion a few minerals give somebody so much power merely by being attached to something that they wear.

Chris Pratt is funny in everything he is in though.
texasaggie04
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

Fenrir said:

Nobody outside of Thanos' own crew accepts or agrees with the genocide. They are all literally fighting him to the death to prevent it. It's an incredible reach to say that the movie in anyway condones the idea.
Perhaps, but so far, Thanos is "right", regardless of what everyone else does or says.

He eliminates half, and life goes on.

If he was right about Gamora's world and now they all live in a "paradise", maybe he'll be right about the rest of the Universe.

Again, I have no idea what's coming next, maybe there is a return to sanity and Thanos will either be shown to have been wrong or will see and understand how wrong he was. As of now, he is a sympathetic character who was willing to sacrifice the only being he loved for what he believed was the right thing to do.

The fact that this is even a conversation is what makes him such a great villain. Most comic book movie villains are just bad for the sake of being bad, or because they desire power, or they've gone crazy, or they're tired of being kicked around.

But to have the villain be the antihero of the movie? To make us actually think about his intent and logic, in a movie with a space raccoon and a talking tree? Brilliant.
Farmer1906
AG
Sounds like you lack an imagination.
aTmAg
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Sounds like you lack an imagination.
No, that's not it.
The Collective
AG
I did not enjoy it either, but I also went into it really tired. I almost fell asleep during the 3rd act which is pretty damn crazy. I'm blaming my mental state as of now and will give it another chance in a month or so.
aTmAg
AG
I haven't seen all of the Marvel movies such as thor, civil war, etc. I've seen the Iron Mans, Guardians of the Galaxy (not realizing they were in the same universe), and a few others. There were moments were some dudes showed up, and I can tell that such a reveal was supposed to be a "F-yeah" moment, but I often didn't know who they were, so it had no effect on me.

So it's not like I was a big fan of the other movies, and was disappointed by this one. Frankly I'm all superheroed out (with these, X-men, superman, etc). I do think this movie is well done. The special effects were seamless, the acting was good (I never knew of Elizabeth Olsen, but she was good).

I'm just not into the genre. It's sorta like musicals. My wife LOVES Mamma Mia and stuff like that. I recognize those productions are good, the singing is (sometimes) good, I just can't get into them.
Phat32
AG
aTmAg said:

I haven't seen all of the Marvel movies such as thor, civil war, etc. I've seen the Iron Mans, Guardians of the Galaxy (not realizing they were in the same universe), and a few others. There were moments were some dudes showed up, and I can tell that such a reveal was supposed to be a "F-yeah" moment, but I often didn't know who they were, so it had no effect on me.

So it's not like I was a big fan of the other movies, and was disappointed by this one. Frankly I'm all superheroed out (with these, X-men, superman, etc). I do think this movie is well done. The special effects were seamless, the acting was good (I never knew of Elizabeth Olsen, but she was good).

I'm just not into the genre. It's sorta like musicals. My wife LOVES Mamma Mia and stuff like that. I recognize those productions are good, the singing is (sometimes) good, I just can't get into them.
Yeah it sounds like you're on the wrong thread. Maybe the wrong board.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So, you're not a fan of the genre and thus not a fan of this movie, as is to be expected. You went in knowing you wouldn't really like it and you wouldn't understand most of it.

But I'm struggling to understand the point of coming on the thread just to say that.

It's certainly your right to do so but there's just not much for us to do with that information.
The Debt
There are only two reveals (entrances) I can think of Black Panther and Spiderman. Both were in Civil War. Now BP was always a tertiary character in the marvel universe, Spiderman should have been recognizable and universally enjoyed, even by 30somethings with kids.
aTmAg
AG
yukmonkey said:

aTmAg said:

Yeah it sounds like you're on the wrong thread. Maybe the wrong board.
I didn't realize this was the marvels board

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.