*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

208,813 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I honestly don't understand all the "shocked," "I need some time to compose myself," "That was so emotional" sentiments I've seen in this thread and on Twitter. Nothing at the end of this movie meant a thing to me because every last bit of it is so clearly going be undone in the next movie.

I figured it wouldn't be long until someone made this comment. You're not wrong, and for the record, it's the exact issue I had with Civil War. (Lack of stakes.)

The difference here, at least for me, is that the stakes were real within the context of this movie.

Regardless of what happens in the next one, in this movie, Spider-Man DID die in Tony's arms.

To me, it's not so much about them coming back, it's how.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

And I know everything in this universe is technically based on science, but man, the finger snap effectively ruined this franchise for me going forward. And trust me, I get it. This is what it's always been building to and where it always had to go. We all knew that moment was coming. Still, never mind the myriad characters who bit the dust (or became it, rather), the death of *stakes* is what got me most.

I honestly don't understand all the "shocked," "I need some time to compose myself," "That was so emotional" sentiments I've seen in this thread and on Twitter. Nothing at the end of this movie meant a thing to me because every last bit of it is so clearly going be undone in the next movie.

TCTTS, I am your biggest fan. But this statement is ridiculous. Ruined the franchise going forward? For real?

Yes, these things will be reversed somehow. But what makes you think THAT won't have stakes? It's not going to be "free." Give the masters at work some credit.
Juan Solo
AG
I agree, and I feel I cheapened the moment for myself looking up what what sequels are planned as soon as I got home.
Dr. Horrible
The other thing to tack onto this thought, and what I've decided keeps me from having the same perspective, is that after 19 movies, the bad guy won. Doesn't matter what happens after that, but there is no denying that the bad guy won this one.

I think the Empire comparisons are pretty appropriate from that perspective.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh, but the complaint about "magic" is 100% ridiculous. They have been building towards the snap since the end of Avengers 1. We had Doctor Strange about a wizard who can control time.

This should've been an issue since at least Phase 2.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
AliasMan02 said:

TCTTS said:

And I know everything in this universe is technically based on science, but man, the finger snap effectively ruined this franchise for me going forward. And trust me, I get it. This is what it's always been building to and where it always had to go. We all knew that moment was coming. Still, never mind the myriad characters who bit the dust (or became it, rather), the death of *stakes* is what got me most.

TCTTS, I am your biggest fan. But this statement is ridiculous. Ruined the franchise going forward? For real?

Yes, these things will be reversed somehow. But what makes you think THAT won't have stakes? It's not going to be "free." Give the masters at work some credit.
Gotta be a candidate for one TCTTS's Top 5 Bad Takes.
fig96
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

My money is on the Skrulls.
This makes a lot of sense if Captain Marvel is going to be a key character moving forward.
AgMarauder04
AG
http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/29/media/avengers-infinity-war-box-office-opening/index.html

That's a lot of cheddar!!

$630M global
$250 domestic. Beat TFA.
Cromagnum
AG
fig96 said:

Dr. Horrible said:

This makes a lot of sense if Captain Marvel is going to be a key character moving forward.

Yes. If they stick with the source material, Brie Larson gets hers DNA mixed with Kree DNA. The Skrulls and Kree hate each other.
rhutton125
AG
The only "magic" I have an issue with is Shuri fiddling with a hologram that will sonehow manually reconnect trillions of whatevers. Techno mumbo jumbo at its best.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My prediction was 250.
AgMarauder04
AG
Spot on.

Those numbers are just ridiculous.
fig96
AG
Cromagnum said:

fig96 said:

Dr. Horrible said:

Yes. If they stick with the source material, Brie Larson gets hers DNA mixed with Kree DNA. The Skrulls and Kree hate each other.
And Feige has already said that the Skrulls will be the antagonists in Captain Marvel.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1684669/why-captain-marvel-is-using-the-skrulls-according-to-kevin-feige
_lefraud_
AG
What's Chris Pratt's W2 for 2018 going to look like? Geeeeeezus
fig96
AG
Bad hot take of the day:

My favorite response so far:
rhutton125
AG
You can't start on movie #19 and expect to know every little detail. And yet, the film still goes out of its way to make things easily understandable. We got exposition for:

- the creation of the stones and what they do
- the motivations of the villain
- Gamora was raised by Thanos
- Peter loves Gamora
- Vision is a machine but is also evolving and has genuine personality and heart
- the Avengers are earth's mightiest heroes
- Doctor Strange is master of the mystic arts
- Cap and his team are technically criminals so they've had to lay low
- Tony and Cap have had a falling out but he also has a way to contact him if needed

It's kind of... easy? I mean you have to pay attention and you may wonder "who is Bucky" but you know who's bad and who's good and that there are powered people out there trying to fight for good.
WaltonAg18
AG
All of the stones.... including the soul stone. I'm 90% sure that they're going with the idea of Gamora being more or less the arbiter of the soul stone, with the rest of the souls that get trapped there hatching up a plan or scheme. Strange will still have magic at the very least.
No one should have to work to survive. Your right to life should not depend solely on your ability to produce capital.
WaltonAg18
AG
It was the same tech they had used all throughout BP. The issue with taking the stone out of Vision was that it was integrated into the neurons that were designed to be his consciousness. In order to safely remove the stone, she had to reconnect those neurons to each other using the laser. No real magic there at all. HTH
No one should have to work to survive. Your right to life should not depend solely on your ability to produce capital.
bthotugigem05
AG
I think this is all setting up for Stark to be a sacrificial character in Avengers 4. Especially in Civil War he developed such a good understanding of his own flaws and his own temptations (as well as that of the Avengers), I think he wields the gauntlet, brings back The Snapped and uses all of his power to destroy the stones to let the universe/fate take whatever course it will, sacrificing himself in the process. He'd do this because once Thanos is dead or they have the gauntlet Stark will know that they can never responsibly hold it, it's too much power.
Pro Ag
AG
Inspector Spacetime said:

And for the record, I think deadpool-wise:

-Loki stays dead
-Heimdall stays dead (Thor's new hammer has bifrost power, so no need anymore)
-Vision stays de...constructed (I feel like the infinity gems all get destroyed or locked away)
-Valkyrie tossup (Tessa Thompson so hot rite now)

-Gamora probably resurrected/time reversed to before her death

-Everyone else resurrected/time reversed

I think Thanos does all the reversing himself. It'll all come back to Gamora ("What did it cost?" "Everything"), but I don't know what will drive him to it.

I think Vision could be back. Easy enough to say the combo of Wakandan tech and Shuri's skill lead to Vision being downloaded and then recreated without the mind stone.

I don't know that he will, just seems it could be plausible.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jesus.

Wish I could be in an audience like this, not gonna lie.

IrishAg
AgMarauder04 said:

Spot on.

Those numbers are just ridiculous.

This has a good chance to break the Avatar all time record, especially if China has a good showing when it opens there in the 11th of May.

Hell this and Black Panther combined could get over 4 billion for Disney...which is just nuts
WaltonAg18
AG
RE: the motivation to do it, I really want them to try and integrate Lady Death into it, and I'm holding out for them introducing her in Deadpool.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

TCTTS said:

AliasMan02 said:

Gotta be a candidate for one TCTTS's Top 5 Bad Takes.

We have now seen Peter Parker given yet another suit (one that's his worst look, IMO), this one so advanced that he basically seems invincible at this point. And as I mentioned earlier, he has now been to SPACE and has DIED. Again, I'm sure his next solo movie will be fun/good, but after everything he just went through, I simply don't think I'm going to care as much anymore. No adventure from here on out - to us or to him - can top what he just went through. No matter what it is, it will feel like a step down. And again, he will have died and been brought back to life in the meantime, which will no doubt change his perspective and has already changed mine.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I figured it wouldn't be long until someone made this comment. You're not wrong, and for the record, it's the exact issue I had with Civil War. (Lack of stakes.)

The difference here, at least for me, is that the stakes were real within the context of this movie.

Regardless of what happens in the next one, in this movie, Spider-Man DID die in Tony's arms.

To me, it's not so much about them coming back, it's how.

I simply don't have the ability to ignore all the context beyond this movie. Literally all I could think in that moment is "Untitled Spider-man: Homecoming Sequel, July 2019." Knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that the death we're watching will be undone in the very next movie rendered any emotional impact null for me. I'm sorry, but that's exactly how I felt in that moment. And again, as I said earlier, I agree that the how of them coming back will be interesting, and I'm genuinely curious as to the mechanics and execution of it all. All I'm saying is that, going forward, I care a little less now that all of these characters will have already experienced death. Because the next time any of them bite it for real, it's just going to this have this "Welp, here we go again" feeling.

Quote:

Oh, but the complaint about "magic" is 100% ridiculous. They have been building towards the snap since the end of Avengers 1. We had Doctor Strange about a wizard who can control time.

This should've been an issue since at least Phase 2.

For me, it has been. It's one of the reasons I've never been able to fully connect with this franchise (which, for the record, I still love). With movies, I simply prefer more grounded stakes based on the current reality we live in. It's that simple. That doesn't make me right or wrong, and that of course doesn't mean I don't like "magic"/sci-fi when done/integrated well. Sci-fi might in fact be my favorite genre. I just prefer it when the rules of the tech/world are clearly stated. In the MCU, however, we've been steadily moving toward a world where tech is becoming indistinguishable from magic - and that's fine - but for me, it takes away some of the stakes. Because we're moving at breakneck speed so far past the rules of our world as we know it without sometimes taking a beat to explore the limitations. Tony will now always the perfect tech for some dire situation, and if not, Strange will have some spell that otherwise saves them. Same with Wakanda, which has and continues to be a little too advanced for my taste.

That said, something like Thor creating that axe? I LOVED that. Sure, it was a "magical" fix for the exact dire situation they were in, but they made a big deal of not only showing the rules as to how something like that is forged, they made an entire sequence out of Thor truly earning it as well. Rules and execution. And I'm not saying the rules of nanobots haven't been touched upon or that we haven't seen Strange earn his powers. It's just that, collectively, the tech and magic and fantasy of this franchise have finally crossed a threshold for me with a glove that can control it all. And again, I realized this is what we've been building toward this entire time. It's exactly what we signed up for. But that doesn't mean I can't have a negative reaction when it is finally realized.

All that said, as I made abundantly clear earlier... I still really liked this movie. It's a fun, remarkable achievement. I just didn't like the ending.
Cromagnum
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jesus.

I hate theaters like this. I'm there to watch a movie, not listen to a bunch of supernerds yell so loud that I can't hear the dialogue.
M.C. Swag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jesus.

Idk I felt like IW was the least enjoyable theatre experience I've had. Star wars and marvel premiere weekends are some of the cringiest sh*t. Like the crowd made the jokes seem cringier for me. Because they lose their sh*t at chuckle jokes. The couple next to me literally did the wakanda salute whenever chadwiick boseman appears. It's like a competition to who is the biggest fanboy. Some dude had to yell out "THATS THE CAPTAIN MARVEL LOGO" after the credits scene. Idk I just need to put on blinders for this stuff.
texasaggie04
AG
Few thoughts and some speculation here:

I think it's possible that anybody killed after the finger snap will be back, but it will be at the cost of anybody who survived. Red Skull said something along the lines of "a soul for a soul" (not an exact quote). That means the original Avengers and some older characters (Iron Man, Cap, Black Widow, War Machine) would make way for the new ones. However, that would also mean that Rocket and Thor would be gone - and they're both crazy popular right now.

Hulk is a question mark for me... I'm not sure what they were playing at in the movie with him, but I wonder if they were trying to make Banner and Hulk two separate characters. So maybe the finger snap killed Hulk, but Banner didn't die. And (if my speculation in the paragraph above is anywhere near correct, which it probably isn't) then Banner would die but Hulk would be permanent. I expect Gamora will be brought back in exchange for the life of Thanos.

I think Loki, Heimdall, and Vision are all dead for real.

We don't know about the fates of the Collector (presumed dead), Valkyrie/Korg, Pepper, Ant-Man/Wasp, Wong, Ned/Aunt Mae, or other side characters.

And I'm actually really surprised there was zero Hawkeye. I assumed there'd at least be a cameo showing what he's up to...

Enjoyed seeing Nick Fury again though. And Red Skull, unexpected cameo there.
Also, Thanos was an amazing villain. Absolutely amazing.
IrishAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jesus.

Agree completely!
TCTTS
AG
Speaking of, hero-wise, can we get an official list of who we know died? Who am I leaving out / forgetting?

*** Updated ***

STILL ALIVE:

Earth
Captain America
Thor
Bruce Banner
Black Widow
War Machine
Okoye
M'Baku
Rocket

Titan
Tony Stark
Nebula

DEATH BY DUST:

Spider-man
Black Panther
Doctor Strange
Bucky Barnes
Falcon
Star-Lord
Drax
Groot
Mantis
Scarlett Witch
Nick Fury
Maria Hill

DEATH BY DEATH:

Loki
Gamora
Vision
Heimdall

UNKNOWN:

In IW
Shuri
Wong
General Ross
Pepper Potts
Eitri

Not in IW
Hawkeye
Ant-Man
The Wasp
Hank Pym
Everett Ross
Collector
Valkyrie
Korg
Grandmaster
Aunt Mae
Ned

Laura Barton
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Starlord and SW both disappeared.
M.C. Swag
AG
Star lord and Scarlett Witch turned to dust. War Machine is still alive.
Hulla Baller
AG
TCTTS
AG
Updated. Thanks, guys.
IrishAg
texasaggie04 said:

Few thoughts and some speculation here:

I think it's possible that anybody killed after the finger snap will be back, but it will be at the cost of anybody who survived. Red Skull said something along the lines of "a soul for a soul" (not an exact quote). That means the original Avengers and some older characters (Iron Man, Cap, Black Widow, War Machine) would make way for the new ones. However, that would also mean that Rocket and Thor would be gone - and they're both crazy popular right now. I can't remember if Scarlet Witch survived, which is sad since I just saw the movie an hour ago.

Hulk is a question mark for me... I'm not sure what they were playing at in the movie with him, but I wonder if they were trying to make Banner and Hulk two separate characters. So maybe the finger snap killed Hulk, but Banner didn't die. And (if my speculation in the paragraph above is anywhere near correct, which it probably isn't) then Banner would die but Hulk would be permanent. I expect Gamora will be brought back in exchange for the life of Thanos.

I think Loki, Heimdall, and Vision are all dead for real.

We don't know about the fates of the Collector (presumed dead), Valkyrie/Korg, Pepper, Ant-Man/Wasp, Wong, Ned/Aunt Mae, or other side characters.

And I'm actually really surprised there was zero Hawkeye. I assumed there'd at least be a cameo showing what he's up to...

Enjoyed seeing Nick Fury again though. And Red Skull, unexpected cameo there.
Also, Thanos was an amazing villain. Absolutely amazing.

Ant-Man and wasp have their own movie which I've heard rumors will be during the same time frame, so their story and some others might be wrapped up with this movie.

The question some friends and I had was that this is obviously a two part movie, so why did the move away from the next one officially being part two? And the best reason we could come up with is what if they all of a sudden were told about the potential for the fox acquisition, and so they scrapped the script for part 2 given the potential to integrate aspects of Fantastic 4 and X-Men into the universe, maybe using the snap and potential backlash of bringing people back as a dimension shift/tear that brings new super beings about?

Just some food for thought.

TCTTS
AG
Anyone else relatively major we're not thinking of who cold fit into the "Unknown" category?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.