*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

208,976 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Right. Which I would assume happens in the movie next year, so I didn't really feel the full weight of those losses at the end because you'd just assume they're not really fully dead.
fig96
AG
_lefraud_ said:

PooDoo said:

The Banner/Hulk erectile disfunction bit was funny.
Pirate Angel was good too.

Anyone find it odd that Tony Stark had a flip phone?-

I took it as a shot at Cap. Tony only uses an outdated phone to get a hold of Cap, I assume "Steve Rogers" is the only contact saved to that phone.
Again, that's the phone that was delivered to Tony at the very end of Civil War, sent to him by Cap.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
As the movie was ending on the shot Thanos smiling, it goes silent, cuts to black, and a guy in the front goes "Pr**k."

Got a good chuckle out of me.
The Debt
AverageJones said:

So how the hell is Tony supposed to get back to earth? It's just him and Nebula on Titan with no ship? I guess Thor can rainbow them back if the can communicate somehow

Rocket will build a spaceship from the ashes of Peter quill.

"I'm the captain! You're the spaceship!"
wangus12
AG
Presumably the Milano is still on Titan
Dr. Horrible
Random sci-if movie pet peeve question.

Does it bother anyone else when people/beings from different planets talk about years? Like are we to expect/assume that a year to Thanos, Groot, Han, Chewie, etc. is the same as a year to us even though a year is based on the time it takes the earth to travel around the sun and they've never even been to earth?
TCTTS
AG
Had a ton of fun with this.

I was shocked at how well-distributed the story is. To have a cast this huge, with this many big names to service, and to have not one character feel even remotely short-changed... it's just an incredible feat.

I laughed a ton. The action was great. The effects were phenomenal. And they did an amazing job with Thanos. After how much he's been built up over the years, and how it was starting to feel like they weren't going to deliver, they came through ten fold and gave us a truly formidable and compelling villain.

Really, this was a sold effort that I'd probably place somewhere in the top eight or so of the MCU.

That, said...

I ******* hate "magic" in movies so damn much.

It's the same reason I could never truly connect with the Harry Potter franchise. There was always a spell for every situation, so it never felt like they were truly in a pickle, but at least in that franchise death actually seemed to be permanent.

And I know everything in this universe is technically based on science, but man, the finger snap effectively ruined this franchise for me going forward. And trust me, I get it. This is what it's always been building to and where it always had to go. We all knew that moment was coming. Still, never mind the myriad characters who bit the dust (or became it, rather), the death of *stakes* is what got me most.

I honestly don't understand all the "shocked," "I need some time to compose myself," "That was so emotional" sentiments I've seen in this thread and on Twitter. Nothing at the end of this movie meant a thing to me because every last bit of it is so clearly going be undone in the next movie.

There's going to be a Spider-Man 2.

There's going to be a Guardians 3.

There's going to be a Black Panther 2.

And there's likely going to be a Doctor Strange 2.

None of those characters truly died. And thus, none of those fleeting, heartfelt goodbyes meant a damn thing.

And what's worse is, say they (obviously) manage to reverse the deaths of those turned to dust... but then not Loki and Gamora? Because they happened to die a few hours earlier do they not get saved? Conversely, if they manage to turn back the clock to before even their deaths, death itself in this universe becomes even less permanent than it already is now. It's a no win situation.

I mean, Peter Parker has now not only been to space, he has literally died. So what can they possibly do with him in his next solo adventure that's going to feel even remotely consequential comparatively? I'm sure it'll still be fun and charming, but this movie rendered the outcome of that one pointless for me. Are we supposed to fear that, ok, he can really die this time?

I'm still interested to see the sheer mechanics of the next Avengers movie and how they get out of this mess, but it's strictly a curiosity of the process at this point and not of the end result anymore.

I don't know, again, I'm conflicted because I really did enjoy the movie itself. I just hated how cheap the ending was, even though we saw it coming from a mile away. I guess I just hoped it wouldn't be that blatantly hollow somehow.
cav14
ScottBowen said:

I've heard Ant-Man takes place before and during IW. So the last scene of the movie will probably be one of them disintegrating, probably Kate.
Must suck to go through all of that crap on the island from Lost only to then get disintegrated back in the real world. Her actually name is Hope van Dyne though, not Kate Austen.
Scotty Flamingo
TCTTS said:

I was shocked at how well-distributed the story is. To have a cast this huge, with this many big names to service, and to have not one character feel even remotely short-changed... it's just an incredible feat.

I laughed a ton. The action was great. The effects were phenomenal. And they did an amazing job with Thanos. After how much he's been built up over the years, and how it was starting to feel like they weren't going to deliver, they came through ten fold and gave us a truly formidable and compelling villain.

Really, this was a sold effort that I'd probably place somewhere in the top eight or so of the MCU.

That, said...

It's the same reason I could never truly connect with the Harry Potter franchise. There was always a spell for every situation, so it never felt like they were truly in a pickle, but at least in that franchise death actually seemed to be permanent.

And I know everything in this universe is technically based on science, but man, the finger snap effectively ruined this franchise for me going forward. And trust me, I get it. This is what it's always been building to and where it always had to go. We all knew that moment was coming. Still, never mind the myriad characters who bit the dust (or became it, rather), the death of *stakes* is what got me most.

I honestly don't understand all the "shocked," "I need some time to compose myself," "That was so emotional" sentiments I've seen in this thread and on Twitter. Nothing at the end of this movie meant a thing to me because every last bit of it is so clearly going be undone in the next movie.

None of those characters truly died. And thus, none of those fleeting, heartfelt goodbyes meant a damn thing.

And what's worse is, say they (obviously) manage to reverse the deaths of those turned to dust... but then not Loki and Gamora? Because they happened to die a few hours earlier do they not get saved? Conversely, if they manage to turn back the clock to before even their deaths, death itself in this universe becomes even less permanent than it already is now. It's a no win situation.

I mean, Peter Parker has now not only been to space, he has literally died. So what can they possibly do with him in his next solo adventure that's going to feel even remotely consequential comparatively? I'm sure it'll still be fun and charming, but this movie rendered the outcome of that one pointless for me. Are we supposed to fear that, ok, he can really die this time?

I'm still interested to see the sheer mechanics of the next Avengers movie and how they get out of this mess, but it's strictly a curiosity of the process at this point and not of the end result anymore.

I don't know, again, I'm conflicted because I really did enjoy the movie itself. I just hated how cheap the ending was, even though we saw it coming from a mile away. I guess I just hoped it wouldn't be that blatantly hollow somehow.

You think too much. I bet you get straight A's and ****, huh?
TCTTS
AG
Thanks?
fig96
AG
I totally get that, and after taking in the film and stepping back I had similar thoughts.

What gives me some hope is something the Russo brothers said a while back. I can't find the exact quote, but it was something to the effect of "Everyone know pretty much what's going to happen in Infinity War, but no one has any idea what's happening in the next one."

I don't see a way they solve this without reversing a lot of what's happened, but with the incredible stuff they've pulled off in this film they've earned the benefit of the doubt from me (at least for the interim) to see what they're going to do with it.
Scotty Flamingo
Just giving you a hard time. I enjoy your posts. And I still hope to see you on movie trivia scchmoedown one day!
Gangnam Style
AG
Quote:

Ant-man (maybe Captain Marvel?) and time travel.

I mean in the comics, Nebula stole back the gauntlet and everyone came back...
cav14
Loved the movie. But a couple of things that I didn't understand:

- Why didn't the Russo brothers show how Thanos got the Power stone from Xander? Maybe they will show in the next movie in a flashback? Because I'll be curious how Thanos and his Black Order took out the entire Nova Corps without any infinity stones initially.

- Thanos did not know where the Soul Stone was, but how did he know where all of the other ones were? How did his Black Order know that Vision was in Scotland and then later in Wakanda? How did he know the Collector had the Reality Stone, etc.?

- Did the axe give Thor Bi-frost intergalactic transport abilities now? Thor, rabbit, and groot had to take a spaceship over to the forge, but they instantaneously arrived in Wakanda right after his axe was formed. And also, how did they know to go to Wakanda in the first place?
Scotty Flamingo
cav14 said:

- Did the axe give Thor Bi-frost intergalactic transport abilities now?

Yeah they mentioned this when they were making the axe
Scotty Flamingo
So I'm wondering now...will part 2 be the end all be all of marvel crossover movies? Would they start over with a new generation of heroes? Who would the next big baddie be? I know Adam warlock was teased. Galactus?
chipotle
titanmaster_race said:

Avengers: Infinity War was a better movie about the rapture than Left Behind was.

The Leftovers crossover
Dr. Horrible
My money is on the Skrulls.
Ag Since 83
AG
I think you summed it up pretty well, TC.

You must have thought the same of the ending of Doctor Strange that I did.
Brick Tamland
The best part I gathered, was that the original Avengers (plus a few extras) are getting together for one last rodeo in Avengers 4 before passing the torch to the next generation and the New Avengers.
Brick Tamland
- director decision to cut the scene.

- he knew the Tesseract was on Asgard because of Loki, the mind stone on Earth because of Loki. Maybe the stones called out to the gauntlet? Vision was able to say when Thanos was coming.

- they mentioned the bifrost before making his axe. It was this square thing that had an Asgardian symbol on it.
rhutton125
AG
They'll obviously reverse the Snap, but I figure anything after that is fair game. So when the dead come back and the gauntlet is destroyed with all the stones somehow, and then Thanos breaks Cap in half, there won't be any coming back from that.

For me, the dust deaths weren't sad, but it was still as big a win as a villain has ever scored. The harder death was Vision's - especially since we saw him die twice in two minutes.

I think pre-Snap deaths are permanent, with the exception of possibly Gamora. And post-Snap deaths will be permanent as well, IMO. So there's more to come.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I get the complaints about the "dust deaths" not having a big impact because we know (assume) most aren't permanent, but you have to know that this is only the first act and assume that in the next one surely there will be some permanent goodbyes.

Hell, I'm assuming that everyone who didn't die will die in the next movie and those who turned to dust will come back. As others have pointed out, it seems like those who turned to dust are the "newbies" while those who didn't die are the old guard who're nearing the end of their contractual run. Sooooo.....
dave94
AG
I've been thinking about the final tens minutes of the movie since I got out on Friday evening. Even knowing that some (hell, many) of the deaths won't "stick", it was still so damn well done. Lots of emotion there, and I was shocked and surprised with both how they did it, and who they did it to.

Seriously, think about what we just saw...a sequence where we literally didn't know who was about to fade away. When Guardian after Guardian just kept going, how surprising was that? And Peter? Holy sh*t that felt real, even though we all know he's got a sequel coming.

And that's another thing I thought about. We all know what sequels are already planned or have even started preproduction, but there are plenty of people out there who don't follow these things, so I'll bet they're reacting differently to all of this. I'm sure there were plenty of WTF moments when Black Panther went out. WHAT?!?

All this said, I loved this movie.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I'm gonna disagree with you on one point...well not really but just a different perspective.

Yeah this movie and the franchise/MCU have been moving toward this for a while.... and there is maybe this great overarcing thing that will deal with the fate of these characters.

But I think the standalone movies tend to operate on a different level. This is about the fate of the heroes themselves...whereas the standalone movies tend to be about the fate of others that they are trying to save. you can always have Spiderman against a great villain who is trying to end humanity, etc.

The standalone/backstory movies are usually about a single hero or two against a single villain.

The Avengers movies were about banding together against a greater foe, and eventually built to this which is about their fate vs. Thanos.

But you can go back to the standalone movies I think in smaller battles against single enemies. Kind of the way the Avengers had disbanded for a while until needed.

Just in the movies listed you've got Spiderman operating in NYC and BP somewhere global including Wakanda, and Guardians out and about in the Galaxy, and Dr. S maybe in NYC but who knows. they can be disparate standalone battles.

And again it might not be their fate as much as whoever they are saving. It could be personal friends/loved ones in danger or the fate of humanity, etc.

TajMaballer
AG
This is halftime and the Captain Marvel stinger at the end was the heroes hitting a shot cutting the lead down to 500.
jackie childs
loved the movie. like many have said, just to juggle a cast that size is a feat and they did it wonderfully. it had a great mix of humor, action and emotion. just very well done.

i agree with what many have said about the ending though. what stinks is that if they'd just chosen different "good guys" to turn to ash, they could've still had the emotion/stakes aspect but not immediately told us it's going to be reversed.

if we'd seen only seen falcon, wanda, okoye and mantis turn to ash, but couple that with losing loki, heimdall, vision and gamora, i think that would've at least made you think it's possible that it doesn't get immediately reversed, right?
rhutton125
AG
I'm just glad War Machine lived to keep fighting in the sequel. That it wasn't just the A-listers remaining while all the B-listers got dusted.
jackie childs
thor was a beast again...he's had a really nice run between ragnarok and infinity war. though i don't get why he'd call rocket a rabbit. if he's been on earth enough to know what a rabbit is, wouldn't he also know what a racoon is?

okoye's line when wanda finally joined the fight was good...."why has she been upstairs?"

and drax continues to deliver. "how long have you been standing there?" "one hour"
_lefraud_
AG
TCTTS said:

That, said...

It wasn't a cheap ending, because it wasn't an ending, it was an intermission. Surprised you missed this.

/redstone
Cromagnum
AG
It was all fun and games until the snap, then my theater was as quiet as a church until the end credits.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Told my wife as we left it almost felt like people just couldn't even get up to leave. I know we were all waiting for the post credit scene as well but I was one of those people not ready to move yet.
Dr. Horrible
Cromagnum said:

It was all fun and games until the snap, then my theater was as quiet as a church until the end credits.
my wife got mad at me cause I reached for a big ole handful of popcorn and started munching away during the scilence...
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Don't have a ton to add that others haven't said, but regarding the "death of stakes," I have to disagree somewhat.

Yes, obviously they are going to reverse anything they want to just given the existence of the time stone alone, as demonstrated already. However, moving forward I don't think the existence of the power to deus ex machina all storylines with a finger snap nullifies the stakes in future movies. Assuming Thanos is defeated or he has a change of heart or whatever, presumably the reality going forward will be that the infinity gems aren't gathered together or hanging out at the Avengers HQ for casual use, that omnipower you worry will ruin future movies shouldn't exist.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
And for the record, I think deadpool-wise:

-Loki stays dead
-Heimdall stays dead (Thor's new hammer has bifrost power, so no need anymore)
-Vision stays de...constructed (I feel like the infinity gems all get destroyed or locked away)
-Valkyrie tossup (Tessa Thompson so hot rite now)

-Gamora probably resurrected/time reversed to before her death

-Everyone else resurrected/time reversed

I think Thanos does all the reversing himself. It'll all come back to Gamora ("What did it cost?" "Everything"), but I don't know what will drive him to it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.