*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

315,610 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got it. Thanks
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Uh, he's dead.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Uh, he's dead.
what is your proof, other than him just disappearing?

we will know in just under two years.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
40 years of Star Wars mythology.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

40 years of Star Wars mythology.
Of which Rian already upended parts of, even contradicting story points initiated in TFA.
Hell, he even added a couple like long-distance, real-time force-enabled group chats and magically stop bolts of energy in their track, defying most laws of physics.
And the EU is non-canon.

It is pointless to argue this further, nothing will be sure until the next movie.
You can take it for face value that he is physically dead and will only be a force ghost going forward, I will stick with "not so fast".
AliasMan02
AG
Johnson has definitely used the word "died" when discussing Luke.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I suppose he also could have just

a. been another force projection of himself on the rock...just for fun.
b. actually force projected himself somewhere else like teleportation

why not.

would give JJ a chance to flip the bird at Rian right off the bat. Like the throwaway of the saber. lol.

I put these up there in the same likelihood as the rumors after ESB that Luke was not Vader's kid - that he was lying for some reason just to trick Luke. Yeah there were those that believed that.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Uh, he's dead.
what is your proof, other than him just disappearing?

we will know in just under two years.

I bet we'll know before that with the casting/filming of Ep. IX.

If Luke is not on set, kicking it up in Malibu, or maybe shows up for a day or two to film a force ghost scene....I guess we'll know.

I have the feeling Mark is going to be kinda outspoken about being killed though....given his reactions to the story in VIII.

Carlo4
AG
I heard one of the "issues" regarding Luke's death is his metal hand. It didn't drop to the ground at that moment.

I'm not sure if this is a continuity issue or fan discussion or deliberate for a reason.
MGS
Perhaps Luke was beamed up to the Enterprise.

JJ merges the two universes in Episode IX.
SeattleAgJr
1. He his already walked back and somewhat apologized for his comments about the movie.

2. He is likely to be seen on set regardless. He will be showing up at a minimum as a force ghost.
AliasMan02
AG
There issue with Luke's vanishing, canonically, is that I don't know where he would have learned to be one with the Living Force. That's a super minor criticism that is just interesting from a megafan perspective, though. Not something that takes away from the film.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean, neither did his clothes. (Except for his outer robe.)

I wouldn't really consider this an indication of anything.

Maybe they get to choose what they take with them?
hurleyag
AG
I'm guessing it is like the Animorphs. Tigher clothes remain with you, looser clothes stay where the change occurs.
redline248
AG
AliasMan02 said:

There issue with Luke's vanishing, canonically, is that I don't know where he would have learned to be one with the Living Force. That's a super minor criticism that is just interesting from a megafan perspective, though. Not something that takes away from the film.

Well, Qui-gon taught Yoda and Obi-wan how to talk with a dead Jedi, right? And presumably how to appear after death, too? I doubt the scene in the Last Jedi was the first time Luke talked to Yoda or Obi-Wan since the end of RotJ. Hell, Anakin learned it in a couple hours.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean, neither did his clothes. (Except for his outer robe.)

I wouldn't really consider this an indication of anything.

Maybe they get to choose what they take with them?

The clothes is no problem for me, but I never thought about the hand before. Realistically, it was probably an oversight by Johnson. Why would he need his metal hand? Anakin came back with natural limbs intact.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

AliasMan02 said:

Well, Qui-gon taught Yoda and Obi-wan how to talk with a dead Jedi, right? And presumably how to appear after death, too? I doubt the scene in the Last Jedi was the first time Luke talked to Yoda or Obi-Wan since the end of RotJ. Hell, Anakin learned it in a couple hours.

Yes, Luke knowing how to do it is way less problematic than Anakin knowing how.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Hell why not?

If Mary Sue Rey can learn to use & master the Force in essentially a week; and laser bolts are arching through space like mortars... why NOT?

#ThanksRian
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
AliasMan02
AG
So, a random thought. Ahch-To has two suns, right? Or was Luke bilocating to Tatooine in his last moments?
Satellite of Love
I don't know what I just watched. Tonight was my first viewing and wow.

Was Snoke's throne room a homage to Walt's Fantasia? I kept waiting for Stokowski to enter and strike up the orchestra.

Also, did the resistance forget to install engines on those space slug "bombers?" It seems they are moving backwards in spaceship tech with each new film.

How was it that Finn and Rose can survive a cruiser light speeding through a flagship but all but a handful of stormtroopers didn't? Oh and Cpt Phasma plus a squad did on the opposite side of the hanger but they were next to Finn when the accident happened....

One last edition, why was Luke sucking sack juice? So weird.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
jokershady
AG
You sure did pick some odd things to fixate on...
Satellite of Love
jokershady said:

There are others but those were my main ones. I am now just reading the rest of this thread.

I still want to know what happened to the b-wings?!?? Heck even the old hunk of junk y-wings!!!

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Satellite of Love said:

jokershady said:

There are others but those were my main ones. I am now just reading the rest of this thread.

I still want to know what happened to the b-wings?!?? Heck even the old hunk of junk y-wings!!!

No, no, no, this movie was actually extremely well written and awesome. You just don't understand it or are just a fan boy who only wants the good old days of the OTStar Wars.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm not a hater, but the movies are pretty much at the point we can't ask questions, just watch and enjoy.

They've shown so many things, because they are cool, that none of the other scenes make sense. For example:

1. Kylo can stop laser blasts and people stone cold... So why exactly does he engage Snokes guards hand to hand? If nothing else him and Rey force push them all against the walls. Why? Because giving Kylo super powers was cool, but light saber fight scenes with no force powers is also cool!

2. Light speed take down. Awesome right! Pretty much eliminates need for any more space battles. Simply start making empty freighters and kamakazi those bad boys every time a big ship shows up. Won't happen though, cause space battles are cool.
wangus12
AG
Why did ya'll dig this hell-hole of a thread back up
AliasMan02
AG
Satellite of Love said:

jokershady said:

Are you the person who had been pestering Pablo about this on Twitter?

But this question illustrates one of the Star Wars creative conundrums. How do you write new stories that are original and introduce new lore, but also repeat all of the same things we've seen 100 times before? Because Star Wars fandom complains about both of those things.

Give me something new and original! But make sure it includes only things that I've seen before!
AliasMan02
AG
jr15aggie said:

I'm not a hater, but the movies are pretty much at the point we can't ask questions, just watch and enjoy.

They've shown so many things, because they are cool, that none of the other scenes make sense. For example:

1. Kylo can stop laser blasts and people stone cold... So why exactly does he engage Snokes guards hand to hand? If nothing else him and Rey force push them all against the walls. Why? Because giving Kylo super powers was cool, but light saber fight scenes with no force powers is also cool!

Are we complaining about cinematic battles, now? This complaint not only applies to every Star Wars movie, but any movie involving hand to hand combat, firefights, vehicle chases, etc.

Quote:

2. Light speed take down. Awesome right! Pretty much eliminates need for any more space battles. Simply start making empty freighters and kamakazi those bad boys every time a big ship shows up. Won't happen though, cause space battles are cool.

Same as above, though there is more to this. The Raddus was able to pull off the maneuver because of its position relative to the hyperspace entry point. The First Order fleet was caught between them, not anticipating the maneuver. It's problematic for consistency, but not much more than a lot of other things in any space fantasy movie. Or superhero movie. Or sci fi movie. Or whatever.

It was a very cool moment. One of the most stunning in the whole canon.
The Collective
AG
Satellite of Love
What is wrong with holding on to the old things?

Satellite of Love
Ha! No. Not me. I thought the bombers were a stepback from the tech the rebels already had in place. I'm not sure approved the PO and thought hey these would work well against a few star destroyers and squadrons of squints!

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have actually thought about #1 every time I watch the fight.

This fight was the perfect opportunity to show off Kylo's force powers, and nothing? Not even a single force push? You're fighting 5 guys at once and you don't even try to use the force?
israeliag
AG
This was the Resistance fleet (a militia), not the Republic Fleet, which was annihilated in TFA.

Also, why weren't the bombers just made out of the same material as the black box, man?
israeliag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not even a single force push? You're fighting 5 guys at once and you don't even try to use the force?
I think fighting five guys at once might take some of your concentration away from being able to use that force hold power.

In reality though, why haven't we seen a force push used in every Jedi or Sith fight? A) In cannon it might just be too much for a Jedi/Sith to both lightsaber fight and force push while in a melee fight; B) it'd be pretty hard to show on film in a complex sword fight sequence.
Gigem314
AG
MGS said:

"Prosper and live long you will"
Satellite of Love
Gigem314 said:

MGS said:

"Prosper and live long you will"
I just hope drunk ******* Yoda makes 1 final appearance in IX. There was something a little off about a spirit being able to cause weather and touch a live person.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.