*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

344,977 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

bangobango said:

The true damage of Johnson's decision will not be seen until the release of the third film. I have a feeling at that time the fallout will be fully realized and it will be larger than many expected.
There are two years between this and IX, so a lot of analysis will be coming from all sides.
On top of that, however Solo is received will play into this as well.

No there aren't. IX comes out spring of 19.
Malachi Constant
AG
This film was mediocre and ultimately didn't deliver on some things that should've been easy to deliver on.
aTmAg
AG
cbr said:

I totally disagree. If Dirty Harry had shot a nun in the first ten minutes and gone off to be a drunk hobo for the rest of his life it might have been 'unpredictable and intelligent' but it would have been a ****ty movie like this one. None of the characters are acting in anyone's self interest. They are just doing stupid, irrational **** - and **** that is out of character as well as full of assinine current social assumptions. .
I agree with you on Dirty Harry, but nothing like that happened in this movie.

What was irrational?
Forum Troll
AG
Cromagnum said:

My in-laws thought this was hands down the best star wars movie and were blown away that I thought it was in the bottom 3 of all 9 movies (counting Rogue One). They were more blown away that I had Rogue One in the top 3-4.

Your in laws must be from east Texas.
The Collective
AG
Cromagnum said:

No there aren't. IX comes out spring of 19.

They moved it to December '19 when they changed directors.
aTmAg
AG
I just realized that the write/director was from the Breaking Bad franchise. Now it makes more sense. That, along with the Wire are the two best television shows of all time and there is not a single karate scene in either of them. Characters are deep and all have their good points and flaws. I hope they keep these writers and allow them to take over the franchise for a long time.
redline248
AG
Poe and Finn had no depth.
aTmAg
AG
redline248 said:

Poe and Finn had no depth.
Not everybody can. But plenty of characters did. Much more so than previous SW movies.
texasaggie04
AG
I must have missed something. How did the first order know the rebels were escaping on their ships from the cruiser? I thought they said they were told by the code breaker, but how would he know? As far as they knew from radio transmissions, Poe was taking the ship to light speed.

What did I miss?
aTmAg
AG
texasaggie04 said:

I must have missed something. How did the first order know the rebels were escaping on their ships from the cruiser? I thought they said they were told by the code breaker, but how would he know? As far as they knew from radio transmissions, Poe was taking the ship to light speed.

What did I miss?
I assume Rose told him.
digital_ag
AG
None of the characters really underwent any development in TLJ aside from maybe Poe. But even then it was done in a very bludgeoning way, I can't imagine how anybody could describe this movie as "cerebral".
aTmAg
AG
Yep. Ren is exactly the same guy we saw at the end of TFA. No change at all.
02skiag
AG
aTmAg said:

I just realized that the write/director was from the Breaking Bad franchise. Now it makes more sense. That, along with the Wire are the two best television shows of all time and there is not a single karate scene in either of them. Characters are deep and all have their good points and flaws. I hope they keep these writers and allow them to take over the franchise for a long time.

The movie felt like a way too long TV episode so that makes sense if that's what he's Used to. It didn't work as a movie and felt very disjointed. 4/5 of my family were bored. The 5th is a 10 yr old boy.
digital_ag
AG
aTmAg said:

What about him developed or changed?
aTmAg
AG
02skiag said:

aTmAg said:

The movie felt like a way too long TV episode so that makes sense if that's what he's Used to. It did it work as a movie and felt very disjointed. 4/5 of my family were bored. The 5th is a 10 yr old boy.
My daughter (16 years old) and son (18 years old) thought it was great and want to watch it again. Meanwhile they think super hero movies are boring, cheesey, and lame (except TDK). Perhaps our families are interested in different things.
DannyDuberstein
AG
aTmAg said:

texasaggie04 said:

What did I miss?
I assume Rose told him.

How did Rose know? She had to know before they took off on the codebreaker plan, but if she knew, then running off on some half-banked mutiny plan doesnt make much sense
aTmAg
AG
digital_ag said:

aTmAg said:

He showed himself to be intelligent and much more than a guy who merely idolized Darth Vader. He became a much more sympathetic character than he was in TFA. The reason he turned on Luke makes actual sense unlike Anakin through 3 entire movies.

If you are a fan of character development, then I assume that you must have HATED TFA? That movie has about as much character development as an episode of Barney (which is more than the prequels, BTW).
aTmAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

aTmAg said:

texasaggie04 said:

What did I miss?
I assume Rose told him.

How did Rose know? She had to know before they took off on the codebreaker plan, if she knew, then running off on some half-banked mutiny plan doesnt make much sense
She would know about cloaking device on the transports, but probably not know the overall plan about using the big ship as bait and all of that. Del Toro probably would have put 2 and 2 together. It's not that much of a stretch.
FL_Ag1998
AG
aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein
AG
Enough of a stretch that it never occurred to Poe, Rose, or Finn. Just emphasizes bow nonsensical the Canto Bight story was.
aTmAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Enough of a stretch that it never occurred to Poe, Rose, or Finn. Just emphasizes bow nonsensical the Canto Bight story was.
Poe and Finn didn't know about the cloaking devices and Rose is not smart... both in that she blabbed and didn't put it together on her own. Not everybody is a super genius.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Like the non-geniuses that decided the Canto Bight storyline was a go
aTmAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

I assume you think Marvel movies are the greatest thing ever? There are plenty of those coming out to get your fill.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I want to see how many more movie series can be used to insult other posters because someone is butthirt that more people didnt like this movie.
aTmAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

aTmAg said:

texasaggie04 said:

What did I miss?
I assume Rose told him.

How did Rose know? She had to know before they took off on the codebreaker plan, if she knew, then running off on some half-banked mutiny plan doesnt make much sense
She would know about cloaking device on the transports, but probably not know the overall plan about using the big ship as bait and all of that. Del Toro probably would have put 2 and 2 together. It's not that much of a stretch.

Yep, you as a fan are stretching to put 2 + 2 together, based on what you're guessing the characters knew and what they might have done... but sure, the writers did a fantastic job.
Thank God the movie didn't spell EVERYTHING out for me. It assumes I'm smart enough to think on my own. That's a sign of good writing.
FL_Ag1998
AG
aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

I assume you think Marvel movies are the greatest thing ever? There are plenty of those coming out to get your fill.

Greatest thing ever? Haha, no. But most are way better than TLJ. And nice cheap jab there bud. Sorry you're so riled up. Hey, if you like it, good for you.
FL_Ag1998
AG
aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

aTmAg said:

texasaggie04 said:

What did I miss?
I assume Rose told him.

Yep, you as a fan are stretching to put 2 + 2 together, based on what you're guessing the characters knew and what they might have done... but sure, the writers did a fantastic job.
Thank God the movie didn't spell EVERYTHING out for me. It assumes I'm smart enough to think on my own. That's a sign of good writing.

Haha, the only thing you are is upset that not everyone thinks this movie is aesome, so you're lashing out like a child.
aTmAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

Greatest thing ever? Haha, no. But most are way better than TLJ. And nice cheap jab there bud. Sorry you're so riled up. Hey, if you like it, good for you.
Perfect. That is all that we need to know.
RebAg13
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

DannyDuberstein said:

aTmAg said:

texasaggie04 said:

What did I miss?
I assume Rose told him.

You can critisize the movie but at least have legitimate points. It clearly shows DJ listening in to Poe's call right before they get on the giant ship.
redline248
AG
Everything aTm posts reveals more about himself than any other posters in this thread.
FL_Ag1998
AG
aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

aTmAg said:

Perfect. That is all that we need to know.

Glad you agree. BTW, even Thor The Dark World has a better audience score than TLJ, and its generally considered (rightfully so) the worst Marvel movie, soooooo.....
digital_ag
AG
aTmAg said:

digital_ag said:

aTmAg said:

He showed himself to be intelligent and much more than a guy who merely idolized Darth Vader. He became a much more sympathetic character than he was in TFA. The reason he turned on Luke makes actual sense unlike Anakin through 3 entire movies.

If you are a fan of character development, then I assume that you must have HATED TFA? That movie has about as much character development as an episode of Barney (which is more than the prequels, BTW).

His internal conflict was present in TFA. The sympathy bit was just bait for Rey.

I wrote a few pages back how this movie was disappointing because it built up tension in an amazing way and then just dissolved it all away in dumb ways. The movie does this so many times. Builds up something great and then discards it with no payoff.

One of the most compelling things about this movie was the Rey/Kylo connection. The characters were growing together and you see them both developing that relationship. Maybe it's a Force connection like Luke/Leia. Maybe it explains something about Rey's parentage. I didn't have expectations other than this central plot point might show the characters growing in some way.

Instead it was just Snoke doing a trap thing. Rug pulled. Rey and Kylo are still Force equals (why?), Rey magically escapes after a fun bout of tug-o-war. Everything built up and then dissolved away.

Both characters return to exactly who they were before. A good natured Force prodigy and a temperamental bad guy. Circumstances slightly altered.
letters at random

Quote:

most are way better than TLJ
Dude, please.

(Although the two Guardians of the Galaxy movies are really, really good. I've heard the latest Thor is good, but I haven't seen it yet.)
FL_Ag1998
AG
letters at random said:

Quote:

most are way better than TLJ
Dude, please.

Hey, I said MOST, not all by any means.
letters at random
I don't think any are WAY better. Some are better, though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.