*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

347,035 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
wesag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was there.

Damn I can't believe I'm more active on Star Wars threads than my Texags heroes.
aggiebird02
MGS said:

So did Luke's artificial hand disappear as well? I could only see his cloak.
What a great question!

Edit: I looked it up, and it turns out you're the first person on the internet to ask that question, and there are no answers as of yet...
TCTTS
AG
Ha, that really is.
VanZandt92
I'm thinking this is a fake review
"Easily one of the best entries into the saga thus far, this film is a bold new direction for the new characters. Capitalizing on the strengths of 'The Force Awakens,' this film is filled stem to stern with an understanding of the narrative power of the force. It's a film that I haven't stopped thinking about since my first viewing and that staying power is a testament to the work that Johson and crew have done."

That fake reviewer thought they were being clever, but it sounds like the fold of a book cover with that "stem to stern". It's like using "pistol packing" or some other bs. Yeah it was bold alright.
wesag
AG
Lol
aggiebird02
VanZandt92 said:

I'm thinking this is a fake review
"Easily one of the best entries into the saga thus far, this film is a bold new direction for the new characters. Capitalizing on the strengths of 'The Force Awakens,' this film is filled stem to stern with an understanding of the narrative power of the force. It's a film that I haven't stopped thinking about since my first viewing and that staying power is a testament to the work that Johson and crew have done."

That fake reviewer thought they were being clever, but it sounds like the fold of a book cover with that "stem to stern". It's like using "pistol packing" or some other bs. Yeah it was bold alright.
You are really dedicated to sniffing out fake reviews, huh? I don't have a problem with it or anything, it just seems like an... interesting?... hobby.
VanZandt92
Yeah it's the English teacher from a past life breaking through.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You may find this hard to believe, but there are people out there who loved the movie.

I know, it's devastating...
canadiaggie
AG
I know the prequels kinda objectively suck, but Revenge of the Sith is easily 3rd on my list just because of Ewan McGregor's acting on Mustafar, the "You were my brother, Anakin! I loved you!" line, and the whole immolation sequence in general. **** gets to me every time. John Williams' score was on point.

Edit - in the above video, everything I loved about Alec Guiness' portrayal is visible in the visible pause he takes before telling Luke how Anakin "died" - it's like he's thinking of a way to tell the half-truth, or the truth from a certain perspective.

For me, it has to be:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. The Last Jedi
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Force Awakens
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Phantom Menace

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Holy crap, I think ours lists are damn near identical except for TPM and Clones. Swap those, and I think that is my list.
VanZandt92
I always thought ANH was the best one, esp as a stand alone.
Ag Since 83
AG
VanZandt92 said:

Yeah it's the English teacher from a past life breaking through.
Oh, so you're the devil. Makes sense.
canadiaggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Holy crap, I think ours lists are damn near identical except for TPM and Clones. Swap those, and I think that is my list.
TPM and Clones are pretty close to each other in levels of suckitude. Each had a few cool scenes, though. The Duel of the Fates is one of the best duels in the entire saga, and I remember watching AotC's Kamino scene and thinking "woah, those guys are totally going to become stormtroopers".
TCTTS
AG
fig96
AG
Interesting reactions in here from what I've seen (I'm not reading all 30something pages).

Unlike some I really enjoyed it. I can see some of the story nitpicks, but I love that Rey wasn't a Skywalker/Solo/whoever and is just someone with a gift. Having her be someone's daughter was the easy way out, making her an everyday person makes her a lot more relatable. Thought her training with Luke was pretty great as well.

Kylo turning on Snoke was awesome as was the following fight scene, also liked how he imposed his reign on Hux and took over. As we know he's impulsive and immature and that was already his undoing vs Skywalker.

Really enjoyed the Luke/Kylo standoff as well as the resolution of Holgo's character. Was interesting to feel the audience's opinion of her shift as she ended up being a badass, and the lightspeed torpedo was fantastic. Was nice to see a crazy mission fail and have consequences with Finn and Rose, and I enjoyed their little side adventure as well as the overall diversity of places they visited. And the closing shot was pitch perfect.

There were some negatives as well, Poe was a little too impulsive and would probably have been sent to the brig and/or court martialed for his actions. Thought it was a bit too light hearted at times, could've done with a shot or two less of the Porgs in particular. And while I loved Luke tossing away his saber, it definitely cheapens the end of TFA.

As a whole I really liked it, much like TFA it felt like a Star Wars film unlike the prequels. Not sure where to rank it at this point but I'm leaning towards putting it ahead of TFA.
canadiaggie
AG
I think that TLJ clearly signals that there are no more "Sith" per se - the Sith as an organization or ideal no longer exist, although Luke's words "I won't be the last Jedi" make it clear that Rey will carry on the mantle of the Jedi order.

That being said, though, if Rian Johnson's trilogy is going to be a KOTOR era trilogy, I would love for them to explore the Jedi-Sith history and the two organizations. Though the OT never explicitly mentioned them, I thought the Sith as a concept was one of the best additions the prequels made to the saga.

Anyone else think the history of the Jedi and the Sith, KOTOR, etc. would be great? All that being said though, I think with a guy like Rian Johnson it's probably smart to not hold on to KOTOR as the expectation as far as plot goes, since he hasn't really demonstrated an affinity for the OT-Prequel mythology.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Yep, I saw that earlier.

Also, I guaran-damn-tee you those dice will be a part of the Solo movie.
Tmoneyag99
AG
Those dice were already part of the original trilogy. Maybe the dice will get their own origin story?

aggiebird02
That is awesome, what a great edit! Thank you so much for posting that Kenobi video! A million blue stars for you!
aggiebird02
VanZandt92 said:

I always thought ANH was the best one, esp as a stand alone.
Me too. It's the first movie I ever saw, and for me, in 37 years, nothing has ever surpassed it...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So, I can't be the only one who noticed, right? I swear, I cannot unhear it.

redd38
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So, I can't be the only one who noticed, right? I swear, I cannot unhear it.

Tmoneyag99
AG
It appears The Last Jedi made more money in it's opening weekend ($220 million domestically) than The Justice League has during it's entire run at the box office ($219 million domestically).
Muy
AG
Just saw it. Good, not great. But i've felt most of these will never be able to deliver at the level of the first Star Wars movies, simply because they were so new and different back then.
Ags4DaWin
fig96 said:

Interesting reactions in here from what I've seen (I'm not reading all 30something pages).

Unlike some I really enjoyed it. I can see some of the story nitpicks, but I love that Rey wasn't a Skywalker/Solo/whoever and is just someone with a gift. Having her be someone's daughter was the easy way out, making her an everyday person makes her a lot more relatable. Thought her training with Luke was pretty great as well.

Kylo turning on Snoke was awesome as was the following fight scene, also liked how he imposed his reign on Hux and took over. As we know he's impulsive and immature and that was already his undoing vs Skywalker.

Really enjoyed the Luke/Kylo standoff as well as the resolution of Holgo's character. Was interesting to feel the audience's opinion of her shift as she ended up being a badass, and the lightspeed torpedo was fantastic. Was nice to see a crazy mission fail and have consequences with Finn and Rose, and I enjoyed their little side adventure as well as the overall diversity of places they visited. And the closing shot was pitch perfect.

There were some negatives as well, Poe was a little too impulsive and would probably have been sent to the brig and/or court martialed for his actions. Thought it was a bit too light hearted at times, could've done with a shot or two less of the Porgs in particular. And while I loved Luke tossing away his saber, it definitely cheapens the end of TFA.

As a whole I really liked it, much like TFA it felt like a Star Wars film unlike the prequels. Not sure where to rank it at this point but I'm leaning towards putting it ahead of TFA.

The prequels were about Anakin. The OT was about Luke redeeming his father. If this is supposed to be a continuation of the OT then the story should be about a Skywalker.

I HATE that they spent the entire first movie building up to Luke left. Why did Luke leave? So dramatic Luke going into exile....and then apparently didn't feel it was important enough to really delve into. Also Luke's death was stupid. Yoda passed on because he was old. Ben passed on because he let himself be struck down. Luke, who is stronger than either of them gets TIRED?!?!?! And dies?!?!

Jesus Christ.

I can't say I was die hard on wanting Luke to live through this one but his death here was stupid. Johnson needs to talk to Joss Whedon or George R. Martin about how to kill off your characters before ever directing another movie.
Philip J Fry
AG
I contend that Serenity wasn't a bigger hit. Because Josh killed off fan favorites. I think killing off Solo and Luke pretty much did it for me as a fan going forward. It's lazy, cheap ass writing, meant only to get gasps in the theater.

Luke an Han went through some serious **** throughout their lives....and this emo brat is responsible for killing both of them? You've got to be kidding me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
People say the OT was about redeeming Vader, but let's be clear. ROTJ was about redeeming Vader. ANH and ESB were not.

Vader had about 15 minutes of screen time in ANH.
bangobango
AG
So, somebody explain to me why Luke left a map to the freaking island if he was going there to die and did not want anybody to find him like he says in TLJ?

The whole McGuffin in the first film ends up being a huge contradiction to the character motivations in the second film? Just sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.
cbr
AG

For me, it has to be:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. The Last Jedi
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Force Awakens
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Phantom Menace

Way off for me.

Easy top 2 and it's not close:

A new hope
Rogue 1

Next

Tfa
Esb

Next

Rots
Rotj

Tlj. Finn is jar jar bad. Flying lea worse. Millennial humor attempts poorly timed. Wasted last chance with lea and Luke. Enjoyable but a lost opportunity.

The rest are just suck with a few cool scenes.

Philip J Fry
AG
That's the most confusing top 8/9 list I've ever seen.
cbr
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

I hope IX ends with Kylo become supreme leader of the entire galaxy.

Him ultimately winning would be "bold."

Lol. White dude ruling disneys galaxy?
cbr
AG
Honestly I wish someone would edit I-III down to about 2 hours of key scenes total, get rid of some ewok and sarnac bs, space worms and cut about 2 hours of stupid **** out of tfa and tlj. That combined viewing would be decent.
VanZandt92
I don't know what KOTOR means. Knights of...?
Sq1dvm
AG
Knights of the Old Republic
Ag Since 83
AG
bangobango said:

So, somebody explain to me why Luke left a map to the freaking island if he was going there to die and did not want anybody to find him like he says in TLJ?

The whole McGuffin in the first film ends up being a huge contradiction to the character motivations in the second film? Just sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.
Luke didn't leave the map. Han says people guessed he went looking for the original Jedi temple, so it wasn't a map Luke left, it was trying to find records of where the temple was.

Now, if you listen to some interviews with JJ and the other TFA writers, they have a story as to how R2 ended up with most of it, and it's pretty eye rolling: basically that he downloaded it from the Imperial network with all the information he accessed while plugged into the Death Star computer years ago (if you remember, Kylo Ren tells Rey they have the main piece of the map as well, from the old Imperial archives). So the story is the Empire had the starting point and both R2 and the First Order got it from them.

Definitely could have been more explicit in TFA, but that's basically the story. But it has nothing to do with Luke's motivations/any contradictions

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.