*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

322,220 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
+ Emperor guards fight scene
+ Daisy Ridley is fantastic

- The ENTIRE master code breaker side plot was 100% useless. It literally served no purpose. Like, just make the movie 30 min less in length.

- Finn accomplished nothing in the entire movie (other than saving some horses). His role had 0 impact to the plot.

- So now all the rebels need to do to defeat the First order is light speed kamikaze through their fleet? Kewl plot hole Disney. I hope that sweet visual shot was worth shredding all that conflict.

- Wtf didn't commander purple hair tell Poe about her plan? He freaking mutinied and it all made no sense.

- The 2 most intriguing aspects of the new Star Wars films were: 1) Rey's parentage and 2) Snokes backstory. The movie just took a dump on both.

- I STILL dont understand why Ben hated his father.

- Leia just suddenly became a force wielding witch capable of resurrecting herself and creating a breathing apparatus in space. Kewl.

- This movie took a dump on space. Idk what galaxy they're in, but in my galaxy, when you open a door from a pressurized cabin to a vacuum, bad things happen. This movie did it at least twice with no consequences. (And that's before I mention the physics of "dropping" bombs in space)

- The millenium falcon is indestructible. The first order needs to capture it and study it's engineering for replication on their own paper machete crafts.

- Literally the only time Luke touched a light saber was to toss it over his shoulder.

- milking Aliens

- So they kill off Harrison Ford and Mark Hamil but decide to keep Carrie Fisher around? Sense, this director makes none.

- Rose was some pipe engineer and then could pilot stuff because....reasons.

The biggest minus of all;

- RIan Johnson is directing more of these. (Insert Darth Vader "Noooooooooooo!" Gif)

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

He was conflicted, and Han was almost able to bring him back to the light. But the only way he'd be able to rid himself of that conflict, he thought, would be to kill him.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."
Bunk Moreland
Everything MC Swag said and more.

Im not a star wars super fan but I watch them all, and that was just a terrible movie by any standards, much less star wars. TFA was way better. Hell Rogue One was better.

It's been however many years and they decide to open the Rey storyline up on day 1 on the island?! Took forever to get 3 dumb lessons and all the sudden she's the ultimate badass.

The Skywalker academy stuff was such a cheap use of "we'll show you some but not all to make you think the opposite, then peel back more later to show it all in context... Wait.... Then show one more time that it actually was a tough call for Luke cause he could see darkness." garbage.

They should have opened the movie up with a flashback to the Skywalker academy and began with the swerve so we at least had that context.

And speaking of dumb, I can't figure out what's dumber... Leia space floating back to the ship or Rose's entire character and her/Finn's hour long subplot that ended up meaning zero for the movie.

She goes from a nothing at the bottom bowels of the ship to a girl with her hero on a ridiculous mission (oh and BTW how about 2 ridiculous emotional plug plot lines with her sister and the racing animals in a 20 minute span) and the entire situation resulted in absolutely nothing!

But hey they luckily got back to the barracks planet so at this time the only obvious thing to do is assume little girl who is nothing and has no experience is now an advanced pilot flying those mono skiers, even to the point that she has to help Finn (IIRC) out by explaining how to use the mono ski to properly fly it.

Then Finn is somehow flying literally into a Frickin laser beam and yet his hunk of junk craft is holding up until Rose bashes him away. He walks up to her completely unconscious and she immediately snaps awake, fully aware and kisses him?? The entire theater laughed when this happened, I **** you not.

Holy ***** After 30 minutes I knew I was in for an all time stinker and there was nothing I could do about it except continue to watch fumble after fumble by the filmmakers.

So much unnecessary bull*****

The Snoke scene and the light speed kamikaze were cool. So there's that.

Edit: oh and the whole Holdo swerve? How ridiculous. She just stubbornly won't tell any chain of command about her plan, to the point that Poe leads a mutiny and then she gets the ship back because Leia decides to wake up and say "Poe, I know you spend half the movie looking out the window, but for some reason you didn't notice that giant planet right out the window that has been in clear sight that we've been heading towards for some time now. See? Holdo has had this plan all along and that's why she's smart and you're just a dumb emotional fighter pilot."
M.C. Swag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

He was conflicted, and Han was almost able to bring him back to the light. But the only way he'd be able to rid himself of that conflict, he thought, would be to kill him.

Ok
canadiaggie
AG
Maybe the point of Jedi recruitment and training as it was established in the prequels was never to particularly train Force users in how to harness their powers, so much as it was to keep them from exploring their powers and ending up at the dark side by themselves. The whole point of the Jedi creed at that stage was to avoid any of the types of attachments that could lead one into the Dark side. that's just my take and it would make sense as an explanation.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Having said that, I was telling a buddy of mine that I think Kylo will have taken over Vader's Mustafar bachelor pad in Ep IX.

It's such a cool location, and I get the feeling they didn't put all that concept work into a place we'll only see once.

I'm thinking the movie will start with Kylo ruling over the First Order from his Mustafar castle as the Supreme Leader, and the Knights of Ren as his enforcers.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Betting on Carrie Fisher to be available and viable for all 3 films was a pretty ridiculous bet. I'm sure we'll get a little Force Ghost Luke, but I don't expect any more than Kenobi in ESB and ROTJ.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll agree that after Carrie died, the smarter move would've been to change the ending and have Leia sacrifice herself in that kamikaze scene. The trouble would've been, not only do you likely have to do a bit of CGI-Leia, you'd lose that great and touching reunion between Luke and Leia on Crait.
M.C. Swag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll agree that after Carrie died, the smarter move would've been to change the ending and have Leia sacrifice herself in that kamikaze scene. The trouble would've been, not only do you likely have to do a bit of CGI-Leia, you'd lose that great and touching reunion between Luke and Leia on Crait.

It's an absolute travesty that we never got to see Luke, Leia and Han in the same scene together. Huge whiff.
Jim01
AG
It's not stated but I think Ben hated his dad because when Luke wanted to start training Ben it's been said that Han was against it. Ben, I think, resented Han for standing in the way of his power and trying to hold him back. His dad, though a hero, was a common smuggler and Ben identified with power and greatness and thought Han was trying to squash that in him. Just my theory.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It just couldn't happen organically with the story JJ wrote. If he wanted that scene to happen, he would've started from there and reverse-engineered the rest of the movie.
Bruce Almighty
AG
M.C. Swag said:

- The ENTIRE master code breaker side plot was 100% useless. It literally served no purpose. Like, just make the movie 30 min less in length.

- Finn accomplished nothing in the entire movie (other than saving some horses). His role had 0 impact to the plot.

- So now all the rebels need to do to defeat the First order is light speed kamikaze through their fleet? Kewl plot hole Disney. I hope that sweet visual shot was worth shredding all that conflict.

- Wtf didn't commander purple hair tell Poe about her plan? He freaking mutinied and it all made no sense.

- The 2 most intriguing aspects of the new Star Wars films were: 1) Rey's parentage and 2) Snokes backstory. The movie just took a dump on both.

- Leia just suddenly became a force wielding witch capable of resurrecting herself and creating a breathing apparatus in space. Kewl.

- This movie took a dump on space. Idk what galaxy they're in, but in my galaxy, when you open a door from a pressurized cabin to a vacuum, bad things happen. This movie did it at least twice with no consequences. (And that's before I mention the physics of "dropping" bombs in space)

- The millenium falcon is indestructible. The first order needs to capture it and study it's engineering for replication on their own paper machete crafts.

- Literally the only time Luke touched a light saber was to toss it over his shoulder.

- milking Aliens

- So they kill off Harrison Ford and Mark Hamil but decide to keep Carrie Fisher around? Sense, this director makes none.

- RIan Johnson is directing more of these. (Insert Darth Vader "Noooooooooooo!" Gif)

The OT took a huge dump on space, but hey, you saw it as a 5 year old, so it's ok.
M.C. Swag
AG
Ok toss out that complaint then. The actual substance to the story was weak, the characters were flat, the plot made no sense, and they well...take your pick.

I love the tactic of quoting an entire laundry list of things and highlighting a single detail with a clever retort as if it invalidates everything else. You got me bruce.
M.C. Swag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It just couldn't happen organically with the story JJ wrote. If he wanted that scene to happen, he would've started from there and reverse-engineered the rest of the movie.

But I'm glad they could organically work that horse race scene into the movie.
wangus12
AG
Saw it a 3rd time last night with the girlfriend. She really liked it. Packed house and the theatre was really into it. Lots of folks dressed up. 2 R2 units were there.

The movie has definitely gotten better each time.

Laser Wolf
M.C. Swag said:

- milking Aliens

Laser Wolf
Bunk Moreland said:

Everything MC Swag said and more.

Im not a star wars super fan but I watch them all, and that was just a terrible movie by any standards, much less star wars. TFA was way better. Hell Rogue One was better.

It's been however many years and they decide to open the Rey storyline up on day 1 on the island?! Took forever to get 3 dumb lessons and all the sudden she's the ultimate badass.

The Skywalker academy stuff was such a cheap use of "we'll show you some but not all to make you think the opposite, then peel back more later to show it all in context... Wait.... Then show one more time that it actually was a tough call for Luke cause he could see darkness." garbage.

They should have opened the movie up with a flashback to the Skywalker academy and began with the swerve so we at least had that context.

And speaking of dumb, I can't figure out what's dumber... Leia space floating back to the ship or Rose's entire character and her/Finn's hour long subplot that ended up meaning zero for the movie.

She goes from a nothing at the bottom bowels of the ship to a girl with her hero on a ridiculous mission (oh and BTW how about 2 ridiculous emotional plug plot lines with her sister and the racing animals in a 20 minute span) and the entire situation resulted in absolutely nothing!

But hey they luckily got back to the barracks planet so at this time the only obvious thing to do is assume little girl who is nothing and has no experience is now an advanced pilot flying those mono skiers, even to the point that she has to help Finn (IIRC) out by explaining how to use the mono ski to properly fly it.

Then Finn is somehow flying literally into a Frickin laser beam and yet his hunk of junk craft is holding up until Rose bashes him away. He walks up to her completely unconscious and she immediately snaps awake, fully aware and kisses him?? The entire theater laughed when this happened, I **** you not.

Holy ***** After 30 minutes I knew I was in for an all time stinker and there was nothing I could do about it except continue to watch fumble after fumble by the filmmakers.

So much unnecessary bull*****

The Snoke scene and the light speed kamikaze were cool. So there's that.

Edit: oh and the whole Holdo swerve? How ridiculous. She just stubbornly won't tell any chain of command about her plan, to the point that Poe leads a mutiny and then she gets the ship back because Leia decides to wake up and say "Poe, I know you spend half the movie looking out the window, but for some reason you didn't notice that giant planet right out the window that has been in clear sight that we've been heading towards for some time now. See? Holdo has had this plan all along and that's why she's smart and you're just a dumb emotional fighter pilot."
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
I don't think the bombs were "gravity" based, it looked like they were all lined up in a track which could have just worked like a mechanical conveyor belt that moved them downwards. All you needed was something to get them moving and that's it, I don't think it's such a reach to assume that's what was done.
bilbobag
I need some help to understand two things from the movie. Excuse the ignorance:

1). How did Luke die? He was holding his side but thats all they really showed. I realize that he was basically a hologram when fighting Kylo.

2). What is with the kid at the end and the ring? He picks up the broom without touching it and when sweeping the floor, the broom never touches the ground but yet moves the debris.
Laser Wolf
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

I don't think the bombs were "gravity" based, it looked like they were all lined up in a track which could have just worked like a mechanical conveyor belt that moved them downwards. All you needed was something to get them moving and that's it, I don't think it's such a reach to assume that's what was done.

It definitely wasn't the result of opening a pressurized chamber in a vacuum even though that Asian chick was fine.
amercer
AG
bilbobag said:

I need some help to understand two things from the movie. Excuse the ignorance:

1). How did Luke die? He was holding his side but thats all they really showed. I realize that he was basically a hologram when fighting Kylo.

2). What is with the kid at the end and the ring? He picks up the broom without touching it and when sweeping the floor, the broom never touches the ground but yet moves the debris.

Luke ran out of energy and merged with the force.

The kid was using the force. He's (not him but all the people like him) the future of the resistance.
bilbobag
Thanks.. Also thanks for replying in a way to make me not feel like an idiot.

Will there be another movie between this one and the final installment (I think it comes out May 2019) like Rogue one?
G Martin 87
AG
Compared to many of the other head scratcher choices in the script, it's a pretty minor nitpick. But there's a very good reason why nobody today uses the WWII strategy of carpet bombing with slow aircraft that have to fly perfectly straight and level on approach. Aircrew losses in WWII were horrific. When the Rebel bombers appeared, I thought "B-Wing upgrades!" It was a big disappointment to get B-17s instead. The downgrade in technology is comparable to the US Air Force scrapping cruise missiles in favor of zeppelins. And what was the point? So the script could set up Rose's character and reinforce Poe's recklessness. LOL.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One has nothing to do with the other, but nice gotcha.
PatAg
AG
After 6 pages, I knew I no longer needed to read this thread.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

that makes absolutely no sense within the absolute little context we have been given.
M.C. Swag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

One has nothing to do with the other, but nice gotcha.
I only meant that 90% of the plot in this movie was forced. I could forgive a clunky reunion rather than none at all.
AgLaw
AG
I don't think we've seen the last of Luke. Here's my Ep 9 prediction: Luke comes back from the other side as a fully functoning human (i.e. not a force ghost).

Yoda: We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.

Qui-gon figured out a way to transcend death by communicating from the other side.
Obi-wan and Yoda (and, presumably, Anakin) figured out a way to transcend death by communicating in a visible form (force ghost)
Luke figures out a way to transcend death by slipping in and out of the force.

Ag Since 83
AG
So it's got an A CinemaScore? Although that's biased too, if they are polling people at the theater opening night.

Who knows what the actual audience score for this movie is
americathegreat1492
Is this now officially the most polarizing star wars movie?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

that makes absolutely no sense within the absolute little context we have been given.

How does that not make sense?
wangus12
AG
bilbobag said:

Thanks.. Also thanks for replying in a way to make me not feel like an idiot.

Will there be another movie between this one and the final installment (I think it comes out May 2019) like Rogue one?

Yes. The new movie is about a young Han Solo and it comes out this May, not in 2019
Velvet Jones
AG
Saw it for the second time this morning, I thought it was ok to good the first time around, and I think much better of it after the second viewing.

Still have a strong objection to Peter Quill Leia, but it has enough good to great moments that it overcame some of the clunkiness.

Rian must dislike the character of Poe that JJ created, because the entire rebellion being able to fit on the Falcon is all his fault.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Here is what I don't get. So the rebels and the First Order are buying spacecraft from the same people. Why don't they both fly X-Wings or TIE's?
True Anomaly
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Here is what I don't get. So the rebels and the First Order are buying spacecraft from the same people. Why don't they both fly X-Wings or TIE's?
Maybe each side has an exclusive endorsement deal

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.