*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

322,921 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Kramer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tv,

That's good info and I can see it being true. However, what I didn't like was seeing Luke not being true to what we thought were his values. Luke is portrayed as losing hope. That is something that wasn't in his character. Even the use of the force projection was kind of a "I'm in but I'm not really in" moment.

I wanted him to board the Falcon (or raise his xwing) give Rey some insights, then get stuck in and fight. Since he started his journey in an xwing, would have been cool for him to go out that way (especially if he teamed with Poe). I needed a moment where Luke was leading. Instead, we got this weird individualistic effort that results in only Rey and Leia knowing that he's gone.
Boiling Denim
Had a little too much Prequel vibe in it for my taste

Every time the movie would build up momentum it would come crashing to a halt with some jarring cringe inducing moment or sillyness that would take me out of the experience

Very frustrating imo
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

So haven't seen this mentioned.....

Do we all believe Kylo that Rey's parents were just junk traders buried in an unmarked grave on jakku????

While I could accept that and was more on the side that she was not a Skywalker or Kenobi or Solo....I'm not sure I believe that just based on his statement.

Without seeing a resolution to why she remembers that ship leaving and maybe at least a vision from Rey confirming I'm still skeptical.

Hmmmmm.

Know Your Enemy
AG
It's been discussed. Many of us don't believe that story.
double aught
AG
Quote:

finn and phasma showdown.
I did enjoy Finn correcting her when she called him scum.

"Rebel scum"
americathegreat1492
To the first point, I'm not sure that is canon any longer. Disney tossed out all the old EU whichI do remember reading about that in. Anyone who's seen the new EU stuff feel free to comment. The issue here is that he just disappears for no apparent on screen reason and it felt really rushed and blindsiding. It would have been simple for Luke to just tell Rey during training that if you pull on the force too strongly it can kill you and it would have set the ending up. Instead audience goers were left going "huh?"

To your second point, I completely agree. As neat as a personality as Rey is, she is a TERRIBLE character. She has no flaws! With no training whatsoever a nobody is as least as powerful as a Skywalker line force user who has decades of training?? GTFO.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Been discussing the series with my friends, where we rank all the movies, etc. We all have our nitpicks and criticisms for all the movies, except Empire.

None of us can come up with legit complaints regarding ESB.

Can anyone?

You can pick apart any movie if you want.

The Luke dodging slow moving objects force thrown at Luke was cringe worthy.

The convient fall and slide away to a trap door so the falcon can save you is the kind of stuff people complained about with TFA.

How did Like become a Jedi when his training was nothing compared to the prequel Jedi training.

Why was Han such a dick to the guy worried about his safety on Hoth?

Those are all reaching for Cloud City.

As for Luke being a Jedi, remember what Vader told him. "The force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet."
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Farmer1906 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Been discussing the series with my friends, where we rank all the movies, etc. We all have our nitpicks and criticisms for all the movies, except Empire.

None of us can come up with legit complaints regarding ESB.

Can anyone?

You can pick apart any movie if you want.

The Luke dodging slow moving objects force thrown at Luke was cringe worthy.

The convient fall and slide away to a trap door so the falcon can save you is the kind of stuff people complained about with TFA.

How did Like become a Jedi when his training was nothing compared to the prequel Jedi training.

Those are all reaching for Cloud City.

As for Luke being a Jedi, remember what Vader told him. "The force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet."

So he's not a Jedi but he can hang with one of the best force users of all time. The chosen one!
double aught
AG
Quote:

I've always found that funny.

"Then I'll see you in hell!"
Kramer
AG
You have to remember, this was before Han was deemed a "good guy" and only shot in defense. He was still an edgy dangerous guy.
bedofbrass33
AG
Saw the movie last night.

After sleeping on it, my final reaction is this. I want a box set of the original cuts of the OT and that is all the Star Wars I need in my life.

Everything that comes after has been interesting in its own way but IV-XI are now a closed loop in my mind and the rest are just fluff and money grabs that don't quite fit into the Star Wars feeling.

ETA that porgs are terrible. Literally overpopulated vermin that Disney made cute to sell merchandise. I like ewoks better.
Laser Wolf
I think the quote that sums up the whole movie for me is this:

"Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to."

They certainly killed Star Wars and the Star Wars fan in me.
MouthBQ98
AG
Needed some bit of Snoke backstory.
MouthBQ98
AG
Also, the political messaging in it was way too overt. We get you want to Resist Trump, but did you have to all-cap it in the opening scroll? I want to escape from that at the movies.
VanZandt92
How about those crystal coyotes?
double aught
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Also, the political messaging in it was way too overt. We get you want to Resist Trump, but did you have to all-cap it in the opening scroll? I want to escape from that at the movies.
Kramer
AG
Does anybody know how Luke has a blue lightsaber in the force projection after Rey's blue lightsaber was pulled apart in Snoke's throne room? Was that part of the force projection? Are there more lightsabers? What happened to Luke's green lightsaber?

From one of the books between Empire and RotJ, the ability to build a lightsaber was the final skill a Jedi learned. That's why Vader comments in RotJ upon seeing Luke's new green lightsaber that his skills are complete.

So will Rey also just magically be granted this knowledge the way she just knows how to use the force?
Bruce Almighty
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I'm sorry, but this just pure stupidity.
Laser Wolf
MouthBQ98 said:

Also, I interpreted the Canto Bight scene as them trying to stick it to the 1%. That line by Finn was something like "It was nice to tear up this place." Made me roll my eyes.

Ag Since 83
AG
On the "do you believe the story of her parents" debate: Personally, I believe it. A major theme of that movie was about establishing what is and is not the focus of this new series. There's been a lot of discussion of Luke's sendoff; yes he has a story, and yes he has a moment where he demonstrates his power, but a lot of people are disappointed they didn't see more of powerful Luke. Well, this was the filmmakers telling you the series is about Rey/Kylo/Finn/Poe, not the old guard anymore. Hell, Luke's story about Jedi being legends is talking straight to the audience.

Same thing with the parents angle. Obviously, for 2 years, it's been talked about a lot. But Johnson was making the point "she doesn't have to be someone's kid to do great things" - an important theme for building the Resistance/Rebellion and Jedi order going forward.

So, I think it's true. But if it turns out to be a Kylo Ren long con, that could be interesting if executed well
VanZandt92
Bruce Almighty said:

MouthBQ98 said:

I'm sorry, but this just pure stupidity.

What did the scroll say?
Saul Goodman
AG
That's a reach considering Rian's final draft of the script was submitted when TFA came out (before Trump even won a single primary).
VanZandt92
Such ****ty editing.
Philip J Fry
AG
So we don't get to find out where Snoke came from? It would be a complete waste of screen time to show it in the next one. The more I stew on this one, the more irritated I get.
Saul Goodman
AG
I too would like some Snoke backstory, but if we're being fair, we had zero backstory on the Emperor when the OT came out. Wasn't until the prequels that we really learned anything about him.

The bottom line is that Snoke is only there to serve Kylo's story. Much like the Emperor with Vader in RotJ.
Philip J Fry
AG
double aught said:

Quote:

I've always found that funny.

"Then I'll see you in hell!"

Because he was annoyed that someone was trying to talk him of rescuing his friend. Not that hard to understand.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hang? With Vader?

Bro. You need to watch the movie a few more times. Vader was toying with him that entire time.
MouthBQ98
AG
No, I am actually fine with political messaging in movies, but I like it to be clever and subtle.
FTACO97
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I hate not knowing anything more about Snoke than I did at this time in 2015.

I keep seeing this all over the web and this thread and I really don't get it. Let's go back in time to after you watched Return of the Jedi. What did you really know about the Emperor? He was not fleshed out in ESB or ROTJ any more than Snoke was. Lucas then gave us way too much background on him in the prequels and now people think Rian Johnson should have given us Snoke's life story.
FTACO97
AG
G Martin 87 said:

George Lucas should steal all the copies of TLJ and make these three changes:

• Star Lord Leia dies in space instead.
  • Admiral Ackbar performs the jump to hyperspace kamikaze attack
  • Luke is weakened by the effort of the Force projection, but regains his strength and doesn't disappear
George would be a hero again.
HA! You have way too much faith in George Lucas. Did you even watch the prequels? He clearly would have done Star Lord Leia and probably much worse.
MouthBQ98
AG
If so, it's an amazing coincidence. Maybe it is just that I live in Austin and see those "Resist" stickers all over the place. The politics today are so oppressively present I am having trouble getting it out of my head I suppose.
MouthBQ98
AG
Would have been nice to have a hint where another very powerful force user had emerged from having remained hidden during all the previous events, that's all. Literally a single sentence could have done it.
Ag Since 83
AG
Someone's not familiar with all caps In Star Wars crawls
Bruce Almighty
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

No, I am actually fine with political messaging in movies, but I like it to be clever and subtle.

The crawl was no different than any of the others. Evil tyrannical empire crushing the peaceful resistance fighters yada yada yada, wash and repeat. But now we have a conservative president that liberal Hollywood hates, so of course, its a hidden anti conservative message.
MouthBQ98
AG
I suppose I should have caught that. I always wondered why that was done previously, thinking back on it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.