*** SW: The Last Jedi - FULL SPOILERS BE IN HERE ***

347,071 Views | 3129 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Definitely Not A Cop
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
URDeparted said:

Might be wrong here, but I didn't take the Luke force projection to be the same as the Kylo/Rey Snoke lead force connection.
Yeah, they were basically inside each other's minds like Luke and Leia. That was different from Luke's projection.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think Kylo and Rey were only able to see each other by Snoke's doing. Neither is powerful enough to do it on their own, I don't think.

I doubt either of them could do what Luke did at the end.
hurleyag
AG
That doesn't explain how Luke saw Kylo when they were touching hands.
americathegreat1492
Part of it for me is that he is the hero archetype from the OT, but in this movie when we finally get to see him perform that role by holding off the first order, it turns out that was just really just tricking everyone and then apparently loses the will to live and dies just like his mommy, which was a huge WTF.

The other reason he should be a badass is unfortunately due to Lucas' retcon of the story in the prequels where Luke and Leia are now the offspring of a man who was conceived by the force itself and has more force power potential (woohoo midichlorians are CANON ) than any being alive (at that time), including Yoda who was a certified badass thanks to the scenes from E2 and 3. Anakin would be a demigod in another medium than the star wars universe. We also know from some of the new Disney canon books that he has a force ability that is real visceral like telekinesis where he strikes the ground and sends out a shockwave that knocks people on their butts.

So ya, Luke should definitely be a badass. Separating the legend from the man is something that can be done without ruining the character's story arc in these past two films, and by proxy his arc from the OT.
bobinator
AG
Because he was also getting side Rey's mind to try to see what she was seeing. At least that's my guess.
hurleyag
AG
I guess Luke had still closed himself off from the force the first time they forcetimed?
bobinator
AG
ATM1876 said:

It's the same with now being able to track somebody traveling at lightspeed. They've completely ruined the suspense of any future pursuit and their last-minute getaway, which was one of the central elements that made ESB so great.
This kind of confused me from a plot standpoint. So only one ship was able to track one ship? Why? Why wouldn't several ships track all the ships?

I really thought the "on a string" thing was going to be a mole inside the resistance. Not some super secret way of tracking them (that Snoke apparently didn't know about by the way.)
bobinator
AG
Yeah. He didn't feel Kylo's presence until he reached out to Leia right? I'm not 100% on that.
ramblin_ag02
AG
The Skywalkers in general are pretty disappointing from a "they have so much force power" standpoint. Vader was never more powerful than Palpatine, and Kylo never more than Snoke. Hell, Rey had a whole day of training and she's an even match for "the power of Darth Vader returned".

Speaking of Snoke, there are apparently super awesome Sith Lords just hanging out waiting for a chance to take over the universe. Maybe it's like black comics, there can only be one getting all the hype at a time. Head Sith In Charge if you will
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
hurleyag
AG
bobinator said:

ATM1876 said:

It's the same with now being able to track somebody traveling at lightspeed. They've completely ruined the suspense of any future pursuit and their last-minute getaway, which was one of the central elements that made ESB so great.
This kind of confused me from a plot standpoint. So only one ship was able to track one ship? Why? Why wouldn't several ships track all the ships?

I really thought the "on a string" thing was going to be a mole inside the resistance. Not some super secret way of tracking them (that Snoke apparently didn't know about by the way.)
This. They just wrote it off as "new technology."
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

I guess Luke had still closed himself off from the force the first time they forcetimed?
I stealing "forcetimed". That's awesome
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
hurleyag
AG
I stole it from someone else earlier in the thread.
Jim01
AG
They explained that only the lead ship was tracking them. That the others COULD track them but since only the front one was doing it that all that had to do was disable that one and by the time they realized it had been disabled they would be gone.
bobinator
AG
Right... but like... why?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Average Joe
AG
They didn't care about all of the other ships. They only cared about the one ship. It had the entire resistance leadership on board, and a majority of their forces. If the other New Order ships would have been tracking different ships then the Resistance could have just split up and the leadership could have gotten away.

Also, it is a new technology. Wait until the next firmware upgrade and feature packs to be released before expecting any really useful abilities.
bobinator
AG
Could they have theoretically evacuated the big ship to the smaller ships and warped away to safety?
MandoArms
bobinator said:

Could they have theoretically evacuated the big ship to the smaller ships and warped away to safety?
They said they smaller ships had no shields and from what I understand you have to have shields to make the jump to hyperspace. As far as I can see the small ships are just for ferrying from orbit to planet side nothing more.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
at this point after reading this thead ( and I haven't seen the movie yet)

1. I wish they would have just put the Thrawn Trilogy on screen and then we could complain about it not living up to the books.

2. the Broom kid is just Luke downloaded in him ala Professor X
bobinator
AG
no, not the ones they took the planet, the ones the evacuated and let fall behind and get blown up. If only one first order ship is tracking only one resistance ship (as seemed to be the case) and the resistance knew that (which also seemed to be the case) they could have just put everyone on the other ships right?
Ag Since 83
AG
Maybe. I'm guessing the Raddus (named after the admiral from Rogue One) has a much larger capacity than the other ships. It was what, a Nebulon B medical frigate and a Corvette?

They got a little unclear as to how many evacuated and then how many died en route to the planet
MandoArms
bobinator said:

no, not the ones they took the planet, the ones the evacuated and let fall behind and get blown up. If only one first order ship is tracking only one resistance ship (as seemed to be the case) and the resistance knew that (which also seemed to be the case) they could have just put everyone on the other ships right?
I think this goes back to Finn, Poe and Rose deeming that info need to know information only, I remember Finn or Rose asking if they should tell Holdo the info prior to leaving and Poe makes the call to leave her in the dark.

I think the rest of the resistance leadership was still unsure of how the Light-speed tracking worked and if that was what was really the reason they were followed and not a mole or spy in their ranks.

I need to watch the movies again because there are a lot of small details I feel I missed. We each focus on what grabs our attention, good or bad and focus on that and miss the small details.
americathegreat1492
I just remembered something that was a bad sign right off the bat. At the beginning with the lost connection phone call between Hux and Poe my capacity theater was silent. There were 3 or 4 exchanges and one drew just a couple chuckles but it was obvious the joke had fallen flat. There were other funny parts of the movie but many that drew the same flat reaction.
bobinator
AG
This is a good point and not really something that's been talked about here much yet. But this movie wasn't as funny as The Force Awakens. It had some funny moments, but some of what was supposed to be funny was just kind of weird.
tk for tu juan
Seems like it would be better to start a lightspeed jump to another location, load people in the escape craft, bail on the main ship mid-jump, and let the First Order track the empty ship to the end location. By the time the First Order realizes it is empty, the resistance is light years away at an unknown location
SeattleAgJr
Snoke IS NOT SITH.
Neither is Kylo.

The Sith are dead.
bobinator
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

The Sith are dead.
That's exactly what a Sith would want you to think.
TriumphForks
AG
This is the first time viewing a Star Wars film that I knew as soon as I left the theater that I did not like the movie. Was not a fan of TFA but it at least took a few weeks for it to marinate before I came to my conclusion. Prequels also took a period of reflection before coming to the conclusion that they didn't carry the magic of the OT. This one I knew right away.

And speaking of jokes falling flat - no one in my theater laughed at the Finn scene where he falls off the medical table and starts spilling water. They clearly intended for that to be funny but literally nobody laughed and it was awkward.
bobinator
AG
Same with Luke milking the sea camel at our theater
vwbug
Same with throwing the lightsaber over his shoulder. IT wasn't funny. No one laughed - completely ruined the ending of TFA. I was shocked they did that.
InternetFan02
AG
Quote:

And speaking of jokes falling flat - no one in my theater laughed at the Finn scene where he falls off the medical table and starts spilling water. They clearly intended for that to be funny but literally nobody laughed and it was awkward.
this was followed up by the "what? Finn is naked with a water bag?!?!" joke. I perked up on that one because my dad and brother are refusing to see the movie because they heard awhile back somewhere that there's a gay romance with Finn and Poe. Maybe the director was trolling that rumor.
spanky
AG
My kids laughed at all those jokes btw...just a little perspective about maybe who the Disney target is.
Saul Goodman
AG
I think people will come around to this movie more with repeat viewings. Based on reactions from this thread, I think it's obvious TFA had a better initial response, but I think that movie weakens with subsequent viewings and time to think on it.
bangobango
AG
americathegreat1492 said:

So I just home. I felt like, objectively, it's a decent movie, but I didn't like it. I can say that this is the first star wars that left me irritated coming out of the theatre. I was able to enjoy the moments that I knew they put on display for fans, but the story just did not grip me. Something seemed "off" about the spirit of it all.

Mark Hamill is quoted as having told Rian "I fundamentally disagree with everything you've done with my character." I'm not sure I would go that far, but he was one several characters that felt like they should have had different moments. It's not that Luke did not have an impact at the end, but it was a wasted impact. It was wasted in the sense that the last time we saw Luke Jedi-Lightsaber wielding Skywalker do some badass **** was like 30 years ago.

One of the bigger issues I had in this movie were the way too many "what in the actual **** was that" moments. Leia levitating in space was one of them, which by the way was the most powerful display of force powers by a Skywalker since ROTJ. Not that Luke's image projection didn't require "power" but that kind of mass mind trick doesn't have the same visceral effect as levitation or force lightning.

Yoda. What the ****? Like what in the actual ****?? On paper having him pop up for a short talk is fine, but the way he pops in doesn't seem believable. Then we see a force ghost play a ****ING JOKE on his apprentice by calling lightning from the sky. The whole sequence was just mind boggling. Yoda is definitely not above jokes, but again, something felt off about this sequence like most of the movie did.

Anyway, I know some people won't agree but this just felt very average to me. Luke ****ing badass Skywalker felt wasted. Snoke was definitely wasted. Phasma was wasted. Holto was wasted. Del Toro was wasted.

Anyway, those are my toughts. Have definitely enjoyed the marvel films more than a star wars film since ROTJ came out.
Yoda playing a joke is very much in character with how he was in the OT.

I really enjoyed most of the movie. The funny parts go laughs in my theater and I laughed several times.

I am beyond disappointed with what they did with Luke, however, and that may be more than the rest of the movie can overcome for me.

I really, really, wanted him to fly down on his xwing that he lifted from the water and wreck shop on some AT-ATs. I really wanted him to just do SOMETHING amazing. Instead, we get basically a trick so he can delay them from killing the last fifteen members of the resistance and then he does the whole force ghost bit, which I can't stand. I mean, why? Why did he even do that?

And how can the Jedi order survive when nobody knows WTF the jedi do anymore? How can it take YEARS to train guys like Anakin to be a Jedi, yet Rey already knows everything she needs to know?

And where the hell are they going with the third movie? It's basically starting over from scratch and will probably feel more like the beginning of a trilogy rather than the end of one.

My personal opinion is they are setting up a structure for future movies and tv shows, and that setting is going to be one in which the First Order is in power. I think there will be some victory in the third, but it won't be the destruction of the First Order. Maybe Kylo Ren is killed or turned back to good, or maybe they actually get a freaking rebellion together and get some personnel and some weapons, etc. But I think going forward the First Order will still be around because they will need a structure in which to base future hero conflicts around.

And they better be planning on explaining more about Snoke. They've completely taken away the mystery/big bad feeling that the OT had with Vader and the emperor. They need to upgrade the **** out Kylo to make him a scarier opponent than what they've shown him to be so far. I am glad they retconned him getting his ass kicked a little with the "you were distracted by killing your dad" line.

**** man, the more I think about it, the less and less I am liking this movie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.