NYT on Harvey Weinstein

283,781 Views | 2165 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Presley OBannons Sword
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

aTmAg said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I don't save any voicemails and i have had some crazy ones in the past that I didn't keep. I didn't want them where I could keep reliving them.
I imagine that you would if "over the years" you had "attempted to write [an expose], quite literally, 17 times."

Mansplain her why she is wrong.
I already did.
SeattleAgJr
GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

That's not to say Dykstra is innocent in this situation either. I'm just saying, abuse is far more complicated than, "Look! She wanted to get back with him! Guess she was full of sh*t all along!"

That's why I said "maybe."

She could be an abuse victim, she could be Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. Those texts don't help her story.

The point is, Hardwick's career is most likely over but there are serious questions about her story that social media didn't bother to ask before tarring and feathering him.
This. Her credibility is shot. She has already proven to have lied about how and why the relationship ended.

And as you said, his career is more or less over because of a liar and based on hearsay.

pretty damn sad.
PatAg
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

That's not to say Dykstra is innocent in this situation either. I'm just saying, abuse is far more complicated than, "Look! She wanted to get back with him! Guess she was full of sh*t all along!"

She could be an abuse victim, she could be Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. Those texts don't help her story.

The point is, Hardwick's career is most likely over but there are serious questions about her story that social media didn't bother to ask before tarring and feathering him.
This. Her credibility is shot. She has already proven to have lied about how and why the relationship ended.

And as you said, his career is more or less over because of a liar and based on hearsay.

pretty damn sad.
Hopefully he just has to lay low for a bit, let more of his version come out. I imagine within the year he will be working again.

The blacklisting part is ****ty no matter what, but that seems like the kinda thing that goes on.
SeattleAgJr
PatAg said:

SeattleAgJr said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

pretty damn sad.
Hopefully he just has to lay low for a bit, let more of his version come out. I imagine within the year he will be working again.

The blacklisting part is ****ty no matter what, but that seems like the kinda thing that goes on.
Oh he should and will likely pay for any blacklisting.
tit for tat, and all that.

that is the biggest thing that irks me in this. it was a dick move on his part to do this. he married into big time money. he should have just moved the **** on and let her do whatever.
aTmAg
AG
Is there any evidence other than her word that he had her blacklisted?

She's lied about other stuff, so why not this?

If it was merely the fact that she couldn't get a job, then that doesn't mean squat. She was anorexic and not many people would hire that.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

Oh he should and will likely pay for any blacklisting.

tit for tat, and all that.
I have questions about that, as well. And again, I'm not trying to defend Hardwick...I really don't care much for him.

But is there actual evidence that he talked to these people and specifically told them not to hire her? Or maybe, just maybe these companies really wanted to either do business with this very successful media mogul or were already partnered with him and wanted to keep him happy and therefore refused to even interview her for any position? She was the dumped ex-girlfriend of a powerful person. That may scare anyone off hiring her.

This nerd community can be a pretty tight group and maybe the only thing these other companies heard was that he dumped her for cheating on him and therefore they didn't want anything to do with her because it might upset their golden boy.

Just a thought. Just throwing this out there. Maybe she was blacklisted in the nerd community because they felt like she wronged Hardwick?
aTmAg
AG
aTmAg said:

If it was merely the fact that she couldn't get a job, then that doesn't mean squat. She was anorexic and not many people would hire that.
No reply?

So I guess that means there is no evidence?
SeattleAgJr
no hard evidence has been presented but her "friends" who work in media claim that it happened.

so basically a bunch of geek neckbeards backing each other up.

but Hollywood, like silicon valley, very much relies on the who-you-know network.
not at all surprising this is alleged, and it very well likely occurred,
PatAg
AG
aTmAg said:

Remember reading earlier in the thread that people had confirmed that part of the story.
SeattleAgJr
PatAg said:

aTmAg said:

Remember reading earlier in the thread that people had confirmed that part of the story.
does not mean it is true. just saying.
aTmAg
AG
PatAg said:

aTmAg said:

I read the thread. The only "confirmation" from that part of the story presented is in a tweet by her current boyfriend. That's not a legit source.

I'm looking for an impartial source that corroborates it.

Furthermore.. what is the definition of blacklisting? If somebody calls me for a reference on a past employee, and I tell that caller that the employee was BSC, is that "blacklisting"?
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

Furthermore.. what is the definition of blacklisting? If somebody calls me for a reference on a past employee, and I tell that caller that the employee was BSC, is that "blacklisting"?

mhayden
If you are in a relationship with someone in the industry you work in and you cheat on them, why is it a surprise when other people in the industry refrain from hiring you?

If I started dating a co-worker and I cheated on them, it would come as zero surprise to me if companies in which the co-worker was close with were not interested in hiring me.

Even ignoring "don't **** where you eat" -- are we all just that absolved of personal responsibility that this happening is some horrible thing?

aTmAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

Looking at her texts, it looks like she is BSC. Not to mention her other mental problems.
dude95
AG
This one bugs me like the A&M swimmer. She said on Twitter so he must be horrible. I even get a bit pissed as people say 'He may only be a dick - not anything criminal.' We have absolutely no idea. She could even be telling the truth - just from a horribly one sided point of view.

Think of the worst relationship you have ever had. BSC. Then think what she probably says to her friends about it. She tells them about the arguments, the crappy things that bugged her, even things that she never thought about or told you about when you were together. Years later there are probably even things that didn't even happen that are in there.

Now imagine this with Hardwick and his point of view.
"I was a sever alcoholic and drug addict for decades. People have a right to drink, but I can't be around it and can't be a good partner who has to have that in their lives either. That's part of my disease." "Ok Chris - you're more important to me than alcohol. I don't mind not drinking to be with you"

"My life is extremely busy. I've got 3 TV shows, podcasts, standup, comicons....I was so sad that my last relationship died when I couldn't spend enough time with her. Will you be able to spend that time with me?" "Absolutely Chris - I'll be home when your done with work"

I hate the 'sexual assault'. So she had sex with him, but didn't want to. Never says that she told him no. Never says that it wasn't consensual in the end. As a man who has been married for 20 years - I don't feel like talking your significant other into sex is sexual assault. Sounds like my birthday and anniversary (I'm a sad individual). I realize you can be raped by your husband...and should be prosecuted if he pushes you to the ground and forces himself on you. But if you're living with someone and sharing a bed - a man pushing for sex is not something he should loose his career and livelihood over unless we want unemployment at 50%.

I heard someone say the hospital story was on his podcast once. He's a standup comedian - talked about the worst timing on jokes with another comedian. Said it came into his head and sounded much better before it came out of his mouth. Was horrified himself.

As for the blackballing - who knows what this is. If he called up everyone in the podcast and comicon areas and let them know that if they hired her - he's a dick and petty. Don't know that means that he should loose his career - but I may choose not to listen to him. If it was as simple as word getting around that she cheated on him and no one wanted to hire her because of it...that's 100% on her. We don't know.

For all we know - I'm totally off here. Also - it could be 10x worse than I described. Neither could be lying, but it's a matter of perspective. He can barely defend himself without getting killed by #metoo.
dude95
AG
And here's the video she put up after that horrible surgery she referenced.

Start at about 5:45 where she starts talking about Chris.
maxag42
Wow. Here I was thinking I believe her after her story came out but now after that video, I don't know. Sadly the damage is already done for Chris. I see a lawsuit in the near future.
Chipotlemonger
AG
bullet note transcript?
Bunk Moreland
talked about how amazing he is. 5 min after telling him she was in the emergency room he showed up. held her hand the entire night until she slept. then he had a cot brought in so he could sleep at the foot of her bed until 3am when he had to get up and go to work.

Then spliced clips going on and on about how he's the perfect man and she loves him so much.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
ummmmmm.....wow.

She gushes and gushes about how wonderful Hardwick was after her surgery. Why, he's just the best guy ever!

And a few years after he dumps her (because she cheated on him), she destroys his career with lies.

F*** this woman.

I hope this video and her BSC texts get as much media attention as her initial story of lies.
Diggity
AG
when will the nerd on nerd violence stop?
SeattleAgJr
his career is already destroyed at this point because of her lies.

between her videos and her texts, she has lost any sympathy from me.

It reads more as jilted lover/revisionist history bull*****
TCTTS
AG
I do admit that this is the first instance where I was pretty convinced of the woman's side - and still am - but have since relented a bit and I see how irresponsible her actions where. I still think Hardwick is likely an assh*le, and did everything she said, but she clearly was either massively delusional at the time or had a not-at-all-innocent axe to grind, and it's definitely looking like the latter.
SeattleAgJr
but being an ******* is not criminal. her posts implied criminality - implied rape and assault, etc.

that is looking much less likely, especially given that she is freely airing laundry but not filing any police reports. she cannot hide behind the "I am ashamed of going to the police" excuse as she has aired her points to the world.

sadly, for his sake, I hope he files some sort of libel lawsuit or the like.
She has destroyed his career, and has apparently outright lied about what happened.

Yes, a lawsuit will make him look even worse, but he med it to at least get some level of vindication beyond the public lynching that has already occurred.
TCTTS
AG
I'm agreeing with you.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS said:

I'm agreeing with you.
I absolutely got that.

it is just after a year of #MeToo, almost all of it, outside of Weinstein has been hearsay and nothing more. Are many/most of them true? I have no way to know but I am sure a good percentage of them are.

But without proof or without a police report being filed, so much of this has been Hollywood holding a year-long Festivus - airing of grievances - and destroying careers.
TCTTS
AG
Dude, come on. You can not possibly or rationally say that outside of Weinstein "almost all of it" has been hearsay.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS said:

Dude, come on. You can not possibly or rationally say that outside of Weinstein "almost all of it" has been hearsay.
You are correct. I over-generalized and grossly left out context.

Yes, absolutely, many of the people have admitted their guilt and paid for it (Spacey, et al. And there have been many examples of this).

I was mentally focusing on the criminality aspect of these events, and did not make that clear at all. Many of these events are people calling out others with no evidence to support it. Unless these same people are willing to file charges in these cases, these come down to hearsay that can and does destroy careers built.

I was trying to say that unless the victim is willing to file a police report, I have a hard time taking their accusations seriously.
TCTTS
AG
I'll give you the criminal aspect for sure. Sadly, I don't know if there will ever be a system by which we can truly judge these womens' claims without hard evidence. But at the same time, I definitely think more good has been done than bad, and some truly terrible people have got what they deserved. But yeah, situations like Dykstra/Hardwick are tough and absolutely muddy the waters.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

But yeah, situations like Dykstra/Hardwick are tough and absolutely muddy the waters.

Which is why they're best kept private and only known to the ones involved and their close friends/family for support.

In hindsight with all the extra stuff that has come out, that "incredible" and "powerful" letter she penned now feels like it was written by someone who is still emotionally unstable.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed.
Bunk Moreland
I mean, we all knew it would eventually happen where the movement gets watered down. I think for me the main difference is when it needs to be a PSA, like

"Hey, this dude is using his celebrity and the influence/power that comes with it do very ****ty, gross, creepy, or criminal things to people, and it is an open secret around here and others not only tolerate it, but some help cover it up for them, keeping victims scared and allowing for the potential for more"

or

"I had a personal experience with a person one time and it sucked/was emotionally draining/they were a major *******"

I don't give a **** about the latter and airing that type of stuff publicly makes that person ****ty. If it's a 1 on 1 experience that's criminal, then please report it immediately.
aTmAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I do admit that this is the first instance where I was pretty convinced of the woman's side - and still am - but have since relented a bit and I see how irresponsible her actions where. I still think Hardwick is likely an assh*le, and did everything she said, but she clearly was either massively delusional at the time or had a not-at-all-innocent axe to grind, and it's definitely looking like the latter.
How can you possibly think he is an assh*le and did everything she said, based on her word alone, when she has proven to be such a blatant liar?
TCTTS
AG
Because of everyone else who chimed in corroborating her characterization of him. The dude is an smarmy assh*le. It's to what extent that's up for debate. I'm not saying any of it justifies him losing his show, etc, but the curfews and blacklisting and all that could have absolutely still have happened even if Dykstra is crazy.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
..and I'm sure every single company who DIDN'T hire her (even if it was blacklisting) is breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't employ this millennial Glenn Close from Fatal Attraction.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.