NYT on Harvey Weinstein

281,325 Views | 2165 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Presley OBannons Sword
How long do you want to ignore this user?
double aught
AG
I hope it's the end of success for him. What trash.
getme
ATM1876 said:

I'm thinking that he'll probably get bought out by the majority investors. They'll change the name of the company but essentially keep it running as is.
"It's the WeinSTEEIN Company now"
Furlock Bones
AG
would love to hear from tctts on this.
TCTTS
AG
I should probably refrain for the time being. If you know what my user name stands for, you'll understand why in this instance.
Bobcat06
AG
What does you username stand for?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"****ing Harvey."
TX AG 88
AG
I will be interested too. "hollywood types" are an interesting bunch. they profess to have values contrary to his alleged behavior (which was pretty much acknowledged/admitted by his press release) but they seem to close ranks around one of their own when caught with his hands in the cookie jar, so to speak. Look at the standing ovation Roman Polanski got, for instance.

I think money is the ultimate/overriding value in hollywood, so we'll see what happens. I predict essentially some "window-dressing" measures, as stated above.
Giggy Smalls
keepfred
AG
Just another power junkie
just another silk scarved monkey
you'd know if it you saw his stuff
the man just isn't big enough
fig96
AG
Is it bad that this doesn't even surprise me? I almost just kind of assume that many Hollywood producer types are like this to an extent.
Jason Ag
AG
ATM1876 said:

People in positions of power have been taking advantage of those beneath them since the beginning of time. Public investigations like this are a relatively new phenomenon and the only way to start to turn the tide. As they say, "sunlight is the best disinfectant." I bet Harvey is ostracized before it's all said and done.

Letterman got off pretty easy.
Urban Ag
AG
Just got suspended from his own company, or at least the company is an owner in.
MelvinUdall
Sigh...they will protect him just like Polanski, it's what they do. Do as I say, not as I do.
Jason Ag
AG
ATM1876 said:

oldarmyag08 said:

ATM1876 said:

People in positions of power have been taking advantage of those beneath them since the beginning of time. Public investigations like this are a relatively new phenomenon and the only way to start to turn the tide. As they say, "sunlight is the best disinfectant." I bet Harvey is ostracized before it's all said and done.
Letterman got off pretty easy.
First, Letterman was never accused of what Harvey's being accused of. While it's still dishonorable, there is a difference between a) trading sex for professional advancement and possibly forcing yourself onto women and b) having an affair with a younger staff member. Second, he never had to pay anybody off to stay silent because they were consensual affairs. Third, he came out and confessed on national tv to what he had done immediately after someone tried to blackmail him instead of paying them off. If you think he got off easy then you haven't read Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night. The guy messed up his home life so badly that he was basically living at his office for months afterward with his only company being a handful of staff and writers.

I still prefer this thread not get political (there's already one on that forum if that's what you're looking for) but go back and read TX AG 88's post and replace "hollywood types" with the Catholic church or Fox News Channel. Those are more apt comparisons than Letterman.

No I have not read this book, I do not claim to know details of what happened. I do remember him saying he did really "creepy" things including sex with staff members. I agree about not making it political (not sure how my post was), wasn't my intention, but throwing Catholics and Fox News in is not the way to avoid being political.
Jason Ag
AG
It sounds like you have strong feelings about Letterman and know a lot about him. I concede to not speak about him without more info.

However, I will not engage in the political arguments you are pushing (but yes I'm angry about all abuse, especially when against children it makes my blood boil).

This is your thread, I'm not trying to derail it, and will not post on it anymore.
VanZandt92
I don't think I'll be Defending Letterman myself.
Jackie Daytona
AG
Fired

https://www.thewrap.com/harvey-weinstein-fired-weinstein-company/
Guitarsoup
AG
When I first saw the allegations, I was picturing Harvey Fierstein and thought "There has to be some reasonable misunderstanding here"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fired by the board, his brother fought to save his job, per that article.
HeadGames
AG
So now that he got canned can TCTTS enlighten us?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Weinstein called Hayley Atwell a "fat pig."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.