Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

150,527 Views | 1253 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by The Dog Lord
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AtlAg05
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

StinkyPinky said:

Dammit I can't believe I clicked on this! Stupid me.

Ditto

You started this!!!

jenn96
AG
AGinHI said:

I was a young man when this thread was first posted, middle aged when I first responded,

And now I'm an old man.

Haha. I've thought of that regarding GRRM. I read Game of Thrones my senior year of college. If someone had told me it wouldn't be finished before I turned 50 I would have lost my mind.
YouBet
AG
mpl35 said:

maverick2076 said:

Sanderson has said before he has no desire to finish either this series or Martin's.

Well now he's a well Established author that has in many ways passed both of them. Certainly rothfuss. Why would he want that headache?
Yeah, isn't Sanderson the single biggest name in Fantasy and has been for years? Finishing up Rothfuss's mess would be a downgrade and embarrassing for him to even consider. If I were him, I would almost be insulted if someone was pushing me to do it.

Anyway, I love this thread. I hope it goes forever unfinished.
Rocag
AG
Finally something new from Rothfuss?!

The Narrow Road Between Desires

According to Rothfuss, this will be a novella focused on Bast to be released November 14th. Of this year.

Quote:

Quote:

#1 NYT bestselling phenomenon Patrick Rothfuss returns to the wildly popular Kingkiller Chronicle Universe with a stunning reimagining of "The Lightning Tree." Expanded to twice its previous length, and lavishly illustrated by Nathan Taylor, this touching stand-alone story is sure to please new readers and veteran Rothfuss fans alike.

No one taller than the stone.
Come to blacktree, come alone.
Tell no adult what's been said,
lest the lightning strike you dead.

When you come to the lightning tree to trade with Bast, your mortal money isn't worth much. What holds true value are older things: secrets and favors. Buttons and flowers. Lies, tricks, riddles, stones, and whatever else your heart truly desires.

Follow the Kingkiller Chronicle's most charming fae as he schemes and bargains his way through the small town of Newarre. While at first it seems that Bast must be master of this tiny domain, but while he cares nothing for the laws of man, there are older, deeper laws that bind him. And for all his cleverness, Bast finds himself trapped in ways he has never experienced before, and make hard choices and help an enemy.

Playful, sweet, and sly as Bast himself, The Narrow Road Between Desires is Bast's story. In it he traces the old ways of making and breaking, following his heart even when doing so goes against his better judgement. For after all, what good is wisdom if it keeps you from finding your way to danger and delight?

maverick2076
A rewrite of something already published? F this guy.
StinkyPinky
AG
piece of sht
AtlAg05
AG
If only I remembered who that was.

I want to say it was the main characters traveling companion at the bar?
shaynew1
AG
What a perfectly pretentious title
DallasTeleAg
Lol. Just when I thought this guy couldn't be more unlikeable.
The Dog Lord
AG
AtlAg05 said:

If only I remembered who that was.

I want to say it was the main characters traveling companion at the bar?

Yes. I'll echo what others said too. Was annoyed that it's just an expansion of the story I've already read
StinkyPinky
AG
…….pysche…..
Still nothing to see here
Madmarttigan
AG
StinkyPinky said:

…….pysche…..

I dont think many people give a crap anymore
Ornithopter
AG
This thread is almost ten years old!
StinkyPinky
AG
Madmarttigan said:

StinkyPinky said:

…….pysche…..

I agree, apathy has set in with it. Almost a lose lose for him even if he ends up releasing something.
G.I.Bro
I bought the first 2 books, but I already have a bunch of unfinished series going that I didn't want to add another. I can wait in ignorance to how good it is, I'm probably happier this way
Maveric
AG
I thought, maybe? But nah.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I actually stumbled upon another writing of his in a book called Rogues. It's a collaborative set of short stories from many different Authors.

Rogues' Foreword is by none other than George RR Martin. The tale Rothfuss writes is about Bast and the Wayward Inn. It's a light 1-2 hour read. It's very good, honestly… but just a tease once again.
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
Marsh
AG
It still pisses me off that Amazon sells these as a "three book set".

https://www.amazon.com/Kingkiller-Chronicle-Regard-Silent-Things/dp/B01AYP2012/

https://www.amazon.com/Kingkiller-Chronicle-Patrick-Rothfuss-Collection/dp/9123525843/

Naive me, ~5 years ago, was looking for finished trilogies and saw this had three books, all with pretty good reviews. I finished book 2 and was excited to start book 3...wow what a letdown that was.
AgHawkeye
AG
StinkyPinky said:

Madmarttigan said:

StinkyPinky said:

…….pysche…..

I agree, apathy has set in with it. Almost a lose lose for him even if he ends up releasing something.

I actually have a First Edition / First Print of Name of the Wind that used to worth something. As people care less and less about the series and Patrick I have no idea what it is now.
rononeill
Ugh... got me again
PatAg
AG
StinkyPinky said:

…….pysche…..
Straight to jail
Al Bula
AG
AgHawkeye said:

I actually have a First Edition / First Print of Name of the Wind that used to worth something. As people care less and less about the series and Patrick I have no idea what it is now.
There's a bookstore in Key West called Books & Books (interestingly enough owned by Judy Blume the famous children's author), and I spotted a hardcover Rothfuss book. I don't even remember which one of the KK-related books it was, but it was signed by PR himself.

For a half a second I thought about buying it but just put it back down. 10-12 years ago I would have paid for it and treasured it, but that story is dead on the vine.

If he ever gets the conclusion out, I may try to pick it back up if I have nothing better to read.
Hagen95
AG
Marsh said:

https://www.amazon.com/Kingkiller-Chronicle-Patrick-Rothfuss-Collection/dp/9123525843/

Naive me, ~5 years ago, was looking for finished trilogies and saw this had three books, all with pretty good reviews. I finished book 2 and was excited to start book 3...wow what a letdown that was.
Book 2 is still on my bookshelf unread. I refuse to read it until he finishes the story. It's a signed copy so maybe my kids will keep it and put the rest of the stories with it when they are finished.
Claude!
When it comes out, I'll read the summary of the third book on Wikipedia.

Sorry, if it comes out.
PatAg
AG
Al Bula said:

AgHawkeye said:

There's a bookstore in Key West called Books & Books (interestingly enough owned by Judy Blume the famous children's author), and I spotted a hardcover Rothfuss book. I don't even remember which one of the KK-related books it was, but it was signed by PR himself.

For a half a second I thought about buying it but just put it back down. 10-12 years ago I would have paid for it and treasured it, but that story is dead on the vine.

If he ever gets the conclusion out, I may try to pick it back up if I have nothing better to read.
If he puts the 3rd book out, you will preorder it. Dont lie to yourself
bangobango
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

This is sad, but I've already forgotten the plot and almost all of the character names of this series. Crazy considering how much I liked the first 2 books when I read them. I'm not going to re-read them though until the 3rd book comes out(if it ever does). Rothfuss and GRRM are two peas in a pod. They can't seem to finish their best book series.

I don't think it is fair to lump both authors into the same category. One has intentionally lied twice now about the completion of the series or aboht forthcoming work, both times inducing people to spend money they otherwise may not have without the lie inducing it. First time when the series was first released and was intentionally marketed against Martin and Jordan by proclaiming the series was compete and would be released one book a year. The other time when he promised a reading of the new book to induce donations to his charity. Martin has never outright lied like that to my knowledge.

Rothfuss is a sleazeball, in my opinion. Which sucks, because he's a great writer.

The Porkchop Express
Hagen95 said:

Marsh said:

Book 2 is still on my bookshelf unread. I refuse to read it until he finishes the story. It's a signed copy so maybe my kids will keep it and put the rest of the stories with it when they are finished.

Can I have it?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Dog Lord
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I actually stumbled upon another writing of his in a book called Rogues. It's a collaborative set of short stories from many different Authors.

Rogues' Foreword is by none other than George RR Martin. The tale Rothfuss writes is about Bast and the Wayward Inn. It's a light 1-2 hour read. It's very good, honestly… but just a tease once again.

He expanded on the short story and rereleased it recently. They billed it as a "new" kk story when it's not even a brand new short story…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.