Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

145,433 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by The Dog Lord
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Dude....
SpreadsheetAg
AG
bangobango said:

This should go without saying, but how about we don't post freaking spoilers on this thread. Jesus.

As the OP; I would say just use spoiler tags. This is not a no-spoiler thread, I just ask that they be hidden using forum code.

Don't want this to turn into a ***ASOIF*** spoiler show meltdown thread
mpl35
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

bangobango said:

This should go without saying, but how about we don't post freaking spoilers on this thread. Jesus.

As the OP; I would say just use spoiler tags. This is not a no-spoiler thread, I just ask that they be hidden using forum code.

Don't want this to turn into a ***ASOIF*** spoiler show meltdown thread

After you post the op, you lose control! This is Texags after all.

Reading spoilers about suggested series is a bummer. In a dedicated series thread I'd expect it, but this has morphed into a general thread with a. Ton of good book ideas. But as long as they are hidden, it's all good.
RoamingGnome
Agree. I've read a few series I never would have known about because of this thread. It also helps to collectively complain about Rothfuss/GRRM types who can't seem to finish anything.
M.C. Swag
AG
He posted a huge plot spoiler about a new book release. Completely unacceptable.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
It gad spoiler tags... what's wrong again?
Sq16Aggie2006
SpreadsheetAg said:

it didn't earlier and it made some people clearly very upset.
bangobango
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

it has been edited. it did not contain spoiler tags when I made my post.
maverick2076
I edited my post when I saw someone was upset about it. However, in my opinion, saying there was a plot twist concerning "X" character is not a spoiler.
bangobango
AG
maverick2076 said:

I edited my post when I saw someone was upset about it. However, in my opinion, saying there was a plot twist concerning "X" character is not a spoiler.
I appreciate you editing, however, I would like to point out that saying there is a plot twist regarding a particular character is the very definition of a spoiler.
maverick2076
I disagree. Saying "Man, what a crazy plot twist that Lucas was a spider all along!" is a spoiler. Saying there is a plot twist about one of the main characters in the 4th book of of a fantasy series is practically a foregone conclusion. However, since others obviously disagreed, so I spoiler tagged it. I apologize to those who were upset.

Disclaimer: There is no character named Lucas in the Lightbringer series to be (or not be) a spider.
Sq16Aggie2006
maverick2076 said:

Disclaimer: There is no character named Lucas in the Lightbringer series to be (or not be) a spider.
Dammit, that's the only reason I was reading the book.
bangobango
AG
maverick2076 said:

I disagree. Saying "Man, what a crazy plot twist that Lucas was a spider all along!" is a spoiler. Saying there is a plot twist about one of the main characters in the 4th book of of a fantasy series is practically a foregone conclusion. However, since others obviously disagreed, so I spoiler tagged it. I apologize to those who were upset.

So, if I told you that there was a surprise ending regarding Ned Stark in The Game of Thrones, you don't think that's a spoiler? You're not going to be expecting the unexpected the entire time you read the book? You don't think your surprise would be significantly less if you knew that SOMETHING surprising was going to happen to him at the end of the book?

And you didn't say there was a plot twist with "one of the main characters" (which technically is also a spoiler, but most probably wouldn't mind), you specifically named the character that the plot twist referred to.

I'd argue four books into a series, major character plot twists are kind of uncommon, especially for one who is arguably the protagonist of the series, and who has already experienced some major plot twists/reveals.
bangobango
AG
Cue "dangit! you spoiled game of thrones post!"
schmendeler
AG
I haven't read the book, but if you didn't see that coming at the end of season one, then you weren't paying very close attention.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
**** it, keep going...

maverick2076
Said character has had at least 1 major plot twist in every single book in the series. I bet there is another one coming in book 5.

Again, I really didn't think anything was spoiler by my general comment. Obviously a couple of you disagreed. I edited it.
bangobango
AG
maverick2076 said:

Said character has had at least 1 major plot twist in every single book in the series. I bet there is another one coming in book 5.

Again, I really didn't think anything was spoiler by my general comment. Obviously a couple of you disagreed. I edited it.
M.C. Swag
AG
Again, the book JUST came out and it had no spoiler tags. I'm in the process of reading it and I did not appreciate his post. This isn't a spoiler discussion thread for book 4 of the lightbringer series.
Counterpoint
AG
Noticed the huge explosion of unread posts in this thread and knew it had to be either a release date announcement or a spoiler controversy!
Madmarttigan
AG
It isn't the entertainment board without abunch of whining about spoilers.
bangobango
AG
maverick2076 said:

I finished Blood Mirror yesterday. I enjoyed it. The Gavin twist was a big surprise, but was not as jarring (IMO) as the reviewer made it out to be. While Tisis' "situation" drug on a little long, we would have missed out on a lot of the moments in her relationship with Kip that the reviewer praises if it hadn't been for her issue.

Just finished the book myself. Thought the retconning of Gavin felt forced. Not a fan and I suspect would not hold up to close scrutiny of the earlier books. I'm hoping it end up being a con job by his dad or Grimwoody. Not a fan of making Andross a good guy, either. Feels like Weeks is trying to be like Martin without the setup and foreshadowing Martin uses.
Greeze06
AG
Just hopping on thread and coincidentally just finished reading Wise Man's Fear.

Really enjoy this story and haven't stopped until now to think about all the unknowns......not sure I'd this is a spoiler below. Fair warning.

- what is in chest?
- what is in Lockless box?
- who is Auri?
- what does the pot pictures represent from Trebon?
- who arrested Skarpi?
- why did he recognize Meluan?
- who is Dennas patron?

And so on.
swimmerbabe11
Welp, just realized that I'll have to reread the books if the 3rd ever comes out.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Welcome aboard - you could use the spoiler tags to black out the text if you are unsure:

[ s p ] text text text [ / s p ] (remove the spaces)

Like this
Greeze06
AG
Preesh
maverick2076
Greeze06 said:

Just hopping on thread and coincidentally just finished reading Wise Man's Fear.

Really enjoy this story and haven't stopped until now to think about all the unknowns......not sure I'd this is a spoiler below. Fair warning.

- what is in chest?
- what is in Lockless box?
- who is Auri?
- what does the pot pictures represent from Trebon?
- who arrested Skarpi?
- why did he recognize Meluan?
- who is Dennas patron?

And so on.
Here is my thoughts:

1. Kvothe's true name is locked in the chest.
2. Something to do with the Chandrian
3. I think she is just a cracked student, but she is important to the story as she gave Kvothe oneof the artifacts that conflate him with Taborlin the great (key, candle, coin, cloak)
4. Pics of the Chandrian, which may have revealed their origins/weaknesses
5. I'm not sure there is a trick answer, other than the Tehlins. I think we will see him again
6. Why did who recognize Meluan? Kvothe? Meluan is his Aunt, although he doesn't realize it. His mother was Meluan's sister and running away with his father is why Meluan hates the Ruh.
7. I'm pretty sure it is Cinder, the Chandrian.

bangobango
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Welp, just realized that I'll have to reread the books if the 3rd ever comes out.
Yep. Have no idea what any of those questions were referring to.
mpl35
AG
You can read the stand alone about Auri.
Hagen95
AG
I got Wise Man's Fear for Christmas and promptly put it on the shelf. I'm not going to read it until more books come out. I refuse to get Wheel of Time'd again.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Yep. Have no idea what any of those questions were referring to.
Me 3. I was thinking the exact same thing. Wikipedia synopsis aint gonna cut it this time.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

I got Wise Man's Fear for Christmas and promptly put it on the shelf. I'm not going to read it until more books come out. I refuse to get Wheel of Time'd again.
This is my MO now for all unfinished series. Thanks alot Robert Jordan, George RR Martin and Patrick Rothfuss!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Boiling Denim
If you haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet and read Red Rising by Pierce Brown I would highly recommend you do so now. I blew through the last half of the book Sunday and can't wait for the next two to be delivered.

The book is like an orgy love child of Ender's Game, Battle Royale and Hunger Games.
KALALL
AG
I finally made it into the last Malazan book. There were many times I questioned whether to continue on, but now that I'm nearing the end I can say they were well worth the effort.

Also, I remember nothing from the first 2 Kingkiller books.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Boiling Denim said:

If you haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet and read Red Rising by Pierce Brown I would highly recommend you do so now. I blew through the last half of the book Sunday and can't wait for the next two to be delivered.

The book is like an orgy love child of Ender's Game, Battle Royale and Hunger Games.

I loved the Red Rising trilogy

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.