Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

148,099 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by The Dog Lord
H6RBW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems a little ambitious to me, too. I'd watch it all, for sure, but how many other people would, I don't know.

And, also, just a thought: maybe he should actually finish writing the damn series before putting in so much time in on movies and TV shows based on it..or to be based on it.
Prophet00
AG
To be fair, the last book came out 5.5 years ago, so at this point, most fans of the series have gotten really tired of asking when Doors of Stone will be released.

Rothfuss has fallen into the GRRM modus operandi. Add in a very ambitious media deal, and most think this will cause the series to drag on indefinitely.

Personally, i think the pressure has gotten way too big for him. He's already missed like 4 or 5 deadlines over the last two years.
schmendeler
AG
Prophet00 said:

To be fair, the last book came out 5.5 years ago, so at this point, most fans of the series have gotten really tired of asking when Doors of Stone will be released.

Rothfuss has fallen into the GRRM modus operandi. Add in a very ambitious media deal, and most think this will cause the series to drag on indefinitely.

Personally, i think the pressure has gotten way too big for him. He's already missed like 4 or 5 deadlines over the last two years.
I mean, even a page a day 5 days a week would have given him 1300 pages by now. that's assuming he had to start completely from scratch, and he supposedly had it all finished before the first book was released!

edit to add: that in a recent interview, Stephen King said his goal is to do six pages a day. a little more, or a little less each day, but that's his goal.
H6RBW
AG
Quote:

I mean, even a page a day 5 days a week would have given him 1300 pages by now. that's assuming he had to start completely from scratch, and he supposedly had it all finished before the first book was released!

At this point, its pretty clear the "all three books are already done" was a lie. And I think he has been struggling with figuring out how to end it.
Prophet00
AG
Agreed. Plus, the amount of acclaim that he has received for the first two has to weigh on him, as he tried to wrap everything up. The longer it takes, surely the greater the pressure. At this point, it's like fans are expecting the finale to the greatest fantasy series ever written. I have a feeling that when it finally comes out, it'll be underwhelming.
JJxvi
AG
Book 2 already underwhelmed
jenn96
AG
Maybe he's hoping that the TV writers will write him an ending the way they did for GRRM and he won't have to bother with it.
TyHolden
AG
Is kkc book 4 better than book 3? This thread is all over the place.
swimmerbabe11
schmendeler said:

great news from Patrick Rothfuss, guys! he's got another fundraiser going. I know this is exactly what everyone has been waiting for to hear from him. he's not let you down!

It's this that makes me lose any desire to support him. It was neat at first that he did so much charity, but his attitude has gotten crappy and all he does is beg for money.
MW03
AG
I reread them recently, and I still enjoy the world he created. I think I actually like the 2nd book better. He languishes in the parts with Felurian, but the scenes in Ademre and the portion in the service of Maer Alveron are pretty excellent.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Maybe it's time to re-read these
JJxvi
AG
nm
Sq16Aggie2006
somebody needs to release something, Butcher, Martin, Sanderson, come on dudes.
Absolute
AG
Sq16Aggie2006 said:

Weeks just release the 4th book of the Lightbringer series.
maverick2076
Sq16Aggie2006 said:

Have you tried Terry Mancour yet?
bangobango
AG
Sq16Aggie2006 said:

You read Butcher's Aeronaut's Windlass?

Didn't think it was all that great, but it's something.
Dawale
I just finished the first two books in the King's Dark Tiding series by Kel Kade. The third is due early next year and I would recommend them.
Sq16Aggie2006
I might have to try the Lightbringer series; I've heard that's pretty good. Gave up on Malazan, never heard of Terry Mancour but might look him up as well.
maverick2076
The Lightbringer series is really good. Terry Mancour's Spellmonger series is awesome. He may be the only guy in the world who writes faster than Sanderson.

And if you really want to get pissed off at Rothfuss and Martin, consider this: Terry Pratchett has published more books since he died than either of them have in the same time period.
rononeill
Every time this thread pops up I get excited. And then it's just nerdy posts bout other nerdy series... come on Pat!!!
Madmarttigan
AG
That should have tricked you for the first 9 pages, but come on now you cant seriously click on this expecting progress lol.
FbgTxAg
AG
Hey! I just found this thread.

And at the same time I remembered that I once read a couple of books by Rothfuss.

Hell I can't even remember what it was about.

PatAg
AG
Let's all agree that if its something about the novel ACTUALLY coming out, we make a new thread. Deal?
Hudson2508
AG
AtlAg05
AG
tv1113 said:

That should have tricked you for the first 9 pages, but come on now you cant seriously click on this expecting progress lol.

Yep, this is now a thread about all the authors other than Rothfuss.

jbsj9698
AG
Hudson2508 said:

Sanderson is a machine. Of course, maybe its just that he spends his time writing books. What a concept!
titanmaster_race
Yup. He's a pretentious ass.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
jbsj9698 said:

Hudson2508 said:

Sanderson is a machine. Of course, maybe its just that he spends his time writing books. What a concept!

Yup. The Stormlight books take a few years but he is writing everyday and also happens to be producing other books during that time. Even then, the interval between books is shorter than Rothfuss
Madmarttigan
AG
They are also some of the longest books I've ever read, man is a machine.
mpl35
AG
So sick of world builders. Series would be done 5 years ago if rothfuss would quit jacking around.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
Boiling Denim said:

AgLiving06 said:

Aggie_Outlaw said:

Just an FYI. The latest in the Lightbringer series is out. The blood mirror. I started it yesterday and it's been a great series so far. Last book due out in '18.

I've been hesitant to buy it...It's got very mixed reviews.
I just finished it last night. It's odd; I didn't read anything before going into it and after finishing I felt good about it. Not the best in the series but good enough to marathon it in 4 days. I was a little confused because I thought it was the last book but realized that was impossible with 100 pages left. This may have put me into a different mood while reading the book.

Then I went online and started reading discussions/reviews. And a lot of the technical things I didn't catch that reviewers have pointed out in droves have me seriously questioning it now.

After finishing but before going online 7/10
After reading forums and reviews 5/10

Almost finished with the book. Can you link some of these reviews?
Absolute
AG

I would probably give it between a 5 and 7 as well. I was a bit disappointed. It drug along some then ended unexpectedly right when it started moving. Seems like he decided to split a bigger work. I hate when books end in what feel like the middle.

But overall, this is a good series worth a read. Have to read this one to set up what would appear to be the ending.

Besides, nothing else was burning a hole in my kindle at the moment.
Boiling Denim
Aggie_Outlaw said:

Boiling Denim said:

AgLiving06 said:

Aggie_Outlaw said:

Just an FYI. The latest in the Lightbringer series is out. The blood mirror. I started it yesterday and it's been a great series so far. Last book due out in '18.

I've been hesitant to buy it...It's got very mixed reviews.
I just finished it last night. It's odd; I didn't read anything before going into it and after finishing I felt good about it. Not the best in the series but good enough to marathon it in 4 days. I was a little confused because I thought it was the last book but realized that was impossible with 100 pages left. This may have put me into a different mood while reading the book.

Then I went online and started reading discussions/reviews. And a lot of the technical things I didn't catch that reviewers have pointed out in droves have me seriously questioning it now.

After finishing but before going online 7/10
After reading forums and reviews 5/10

Almost finished with the book. Can you link some of these reviews?
Top Amazon review sums it up very well

https://www.amazon.com/review/R2JBXLUO81PEQK/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=031625133X&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=283155&store=books

The Lightbringer subreddit also has some good discussion on it with a general consensus outlined in that review.
maverick2076
I finished Blood Mirror yesterday. I enjoyed it. The Gavin twist was a big surprise, but was not as jarring (IMO) as the reviewer made it out to be. While Tisis' "situation" drug on a little long, we would have missed out on a lot of the moments in her relationship with Kip that the reviewer praises if it hadn't been for her issue.
bangobango
AG
This should go without saying, but how about we don't post freaking spoilers on this thread. Jesus.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.