***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

147,623 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need defensive perimeter help and is available via free agency?

There is a free agent that rhymes with Villain Books that is available and may be discounted.
shack009
AG
Iowaggie said:

There is a free agent that rhymes with Villain Books that is available and may be discounted.

Absolutely not. Dude thinks he's an all star level offensive player and he wants the ball all the time. Shot under 33% from 3 this year and less than 36% on catch and shoot 3s. Less than 50% TS% and less than 47% effective FG%.

He'll also want like $25 mil a year and a terrible team will give it to him. Dude is a losing player.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Iowaggie said:

Absolutely not. Dude thinks he's an all star level offensive player and he wants the ball all the time. Shot under 33% from 3 this year and less than 36% on catch and shoot 3s. Less than 50% TS% and less than 47% effective FG%.

He'll also want like $25 mil a year and a terrible team will give it to him. Dude is a losing player.

No one is giving him remotely that much, especially after his antics with LeBron, then getting wiped in the first round and running away with this tail between his legs.

He may actually come cheap. Memphis tried to dump him as an ending contract plus 3 firsts for OG Anunuby and Toronto said no. Pretty sure Memphis is moving on
zgolfz85
AG
Guitarsoup said:

https://theathletic.com/4474477/2023/05/01/kyrie-irving-dallas-mavericks-free-agency?source=user-shared-article

care to copy and paste for us poors?
Guitarsoup
AG
Kyrie attending Lakers game isn't a big deal
Problems started with how the Mavs handled Branson

Brunsons camp was asking what Mavs would pay prior to FA opening and Mavs said they would bring everything together in a presentation. Brunsons camp didn't give the Mavs a chance to present or match and just walked.

Mavs have no real assets outside TJH, Hardy, Green. FA could be a big kick in the nuts
zgolfz85
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Kyrie attending Lakers game isn't a big deal
Problems started with how the Mavs handled Branson

Brunsons camp was asking what Mavs would pay prior to FA opening and Mavs said they would bring everything together in a presentation. Brunsons camp didn't give the Mavs a chance to present or match and just walked.

Mavs have no real assets outside TJH, Hardy, Green. FA could be a big kick in the nuts
thanks!

sounds like Mavs should've been prepared to answer that question, but sounds like brunson's team had 1 foot already in NYC. I'll blame the Mavs and Cuban more so just b/c they've dropped the ball too many other times.

Man I really hope we don't land in NBA purgatory for a decade.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Iowaggie said:

No one is giving him remotely that much, especially after his antics with LeBron, then getting wiped in the first round and running away with this tail between his legs.

He may actually come cheap. Memphis tried to dump him as an ending contract plus 3 firsts for OG Anunuby and Toronto said no. Pretty sure Memphis is moving on
A team will give him way more than his actual worth. He's actually worth less to the Mavs because the Mavs already have guys that need the ball. The Mavs need off-ball shooting and Brooks is not that.

Hard pass. Let him be overrated somewhere else.
HawthornAggie
AG
Agree with passing on Brooks. Takes way too many shots for a guy that can't shoot.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Iowaggie said:

A team will give him way more than his actual worth. He's actually worth less to the Mavs because the Mavs already have guys that need the ball. The Mavs need off-ball shooting and Brooks is not that.

I don't think any team gives Brooks the MLE after this season.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Iowaggie said:

I don' think he's worth the MLE, but players always get overpaid in FA. He will get paid to be a "butts in seats" and "eyes on TV" guy and will help Portland win 35 games next year.
Guitarsoup
AG
Quote:

Dallas' offseason priorities, Harrison said at his exit interview, is to add players who can defend and rebound. Two of the team's underwhelming big man rotation, Wood and Dwight Powell, are out of contract and Wood, team sources say, is, unsurprisingly, not expected to be back. Maxi Kleber and McGee both showed age-related decline, although Dallas hopes that Kleber, 31, can bounce back with a full offseason to recover from midseason hamstring surgery.

From that The Athletic article

With so little tradable assets, gotta hope you can at least S&T him to get something back. I understand not wanting him back since he is soft and plays zero defense.
Iowaggie
AG
shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Iowaggie said:

I don' think he's worth the MLE, but players always get overpaid in FA. He will get paid to be a "butts in seats" and "eyes on TV" guy and will help Portland win 35 games next year.

Players like Dwight Howard, DeMarcus Cousins, Tyreke Evans, OJ Mayo and Lance Stephenson had talent that could have had them play longer, but their talent + issues was not equal to the headache they provide (even before some of the drug issues for a couple of those players). Plenty of guys don't get overpaid.

Dillon shouldn't get an offer from a young and rebuilding team. There is no reason to sign him when they don't care about winning. Dillon is a solid defensive player willing to guard the other teams best player, and as far as I know, he doesn't conflict with coaches. However, he makes horrible decisions on offense and with the media.

He needs to go to a desperate team squeezed on cap space that needs a wing defender and rarely lets him touch the ball, and has an owner that speaks for him.
NoahAg
*Ignore post; didn't realize had already been discussed*

We don't want Dillon Brooks, do we?
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36981568/grizzlies-intend-re-sign-dillon-brooks-sources-say

On one hand we really need a good 3 and D guy. On the other, his comments indicate he wants a bigger role than that. Would be nice to have, I don't know, Dorian Finney-Smith.

ugh, I wish the playoffs would end already and we could get to the draft.
Guitarsoup
AG
Dallas may just because they need cheap starter quality guys, but his offense is a black ****ing hole and he is a loudmouth *******.
M.C. Swag
AG
NoahAg said:

*Ignore post; didn't realize had already been discussed*

We don't want Dillon Brooks, do we?
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36981568/grizzlies-intend-re-sign-dillon-brooks-sources-say

On one hand we really need a good 3 and D guy. On the other, his comments indicate he wants a bigger role than that. Would be nice to have, I don't know, Dorian Finney-Smith.

ugh, I wish the playoffs would end already and we could get to the draft.
Our roster is so deplete of talent that Brooks would actually be a substantial upgrade. Like, he's annoying AF and dirty and completely braindead when it comes to in-game feel...but he would be the 4th(?) best player on our team next season (assuming we keep Kyrie). If his value is tanked to the point of a TPMLE price tag, I'm not sure who on the market is better.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think his value has tanked significantly under mle.
DannyDuberstein
AG
As much of a **** show as the record was down the stretch, the offense was one of the most efficient in the league (if I recall). They need defense and rebounding, and if some dwad can bring those 2 things but come at a significant discount because they bring nothing else, I think you have to seriously consider making that move
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The TPMLE is only expected to be like $6m. I think even the most ardent Brooks hater would pay at least that for a 27yr old wing defender.
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

The TPMLE is only expected to be like $6m. I think even the most ardent Brooks hater would pay at least that for a 27yr old wing defender.
I'd give him $1 million as a flyer. We would need to be able to cut him very easily.

He thinks he's a volume scorer and he isn't particularly good at scoring. He shot under 40% from the field this year on nearly 14 attempt per game. That's embarrassing. He's actually worse than Westbrook and has the same mindset.

He's actually a terrible 3-point shooter, which is really the only offensive help we need.
M.C. Swag
AG
And we got roasted on defense by about every team in the league, including embarrassing Ls to the Hornets B-team. Our roster is so bad we can't turn our nose up at anyone.

Brooks would make us better.
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

And we got roasted on defense by about every team in the league, including embarrassing Ls to the Hornets B-team. Our roster is so bad we can't turn our nose up at anyone.

Brooks would make us better defensively.
FIFY. Is his defense enough to overcome the 8 terrible shots he will take every game and his 33% 3 point percentage? Not to mention he will be yelling at Luka for not passing him the ball by the third game.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

Maybe. Sarcomas call him a cancer. When his own team tells him to **** off, it's clear that a lot of teams won't touch him.

He's definitely a good defender that can help multiple positions, but he also takes like 15% of your shots and is beyond awful offensively.

I don't think any contenders will give him a run when Thybulle and McDaniels are out there
zgolfz85
AG
I was surprised by the bluntness of the messaging coming out of Memphis regarding Brooks. It makes me think his **** talking wasn't limited to opposing players and maybe in his own locker room
shack009
AG
zgolfz85 said:

I was surprised by the bluntness of the messaging coming out of Memphis regarding Brooks. It makes me think his **** talking wasn't limited to opposing players and maybe in his own locker room

That Memphis team has serious issues that don't solely lay at the feet of Brooks. Ja is part of the problem also. They are a bunch of front runners that love talking crap even though they haven't won anything yet.
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

Maybe. Sarcomas call him a cancer. When his own team tells him to **** off, it's clear that a lot of teams won't touch him.

He's definitely a good defender that can help multiple positions, but he also takes like 15% of your shots and is beyond awful offensively.

I don't think any contenders will give him a run when Thybulle and McDaniels are out there

See the cancer thing is a total misread of the situation imo. He is not now, nor ever was, a "cancer." He showed up to practice, worked hard, and was generally liked by his teammates.

Is he dirty? Yes. Does he have a loudmouth? Yes.

But he's not a bad guy.

I know the guy who used to host the "Locked on Grizzles" podcast and specifically asked if Brooks was a cancer and here was his response:

M.C. Swag
AG
Lol also Thybulle has literally no offensive bag. He can't dribble, pass or shoot.

Brooks needs to learn how to play within an offense, but he has the capability to score. He just tried to hero ball and had poor shot selection. And a lot of that has to do with the Grizzlies offense in general. They're one of the worst half court offenses in the league, so alot of their stuff was ugly as a whole. Put him next to Luka and he may thrive.
Guitarsoup
AG
More like a cancer to success. His loudmouth and antics clearly hindered the Grizzlies. The man has played 350 games there and they are letting their starting SF walk. That isn't normal.
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

More like a cancer to success. His loudmouth and antics clearly hindered the Grizzlies. The man has played 350 games there and they are letting their starting SF walk. That isn't normal.

They were the 2 seed and that's despite a litany of injures/suspensions to key players throughout the season.

The relationship just soured and Morants extension is about to kick in. The Grizzlies were never gonna extend Brooks if he's aiming for the $20-$25m price range. Same reason they let Kyle Anderson walk last off season. They're navigating a tight rope of Salary Cap management with Morant, Bane and JJJ's deals kicking in almost simultaneously.
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Lol also Thybulle has literally no offensive bag. He can't dribble, pass or shoot.

Brooks needs to learn how to play within an offense, but he has the capability to score. He just tried to hero ball and had poor shot selection. And a lot of that has to do with the Grizzlies offense in general. They're one of the worst half court offenses in the league, so alot of their stuff was ugly as a whole. Put him next to Luka and he may thrive.

Yeah no thanks on Thybulle.

Brooks' problem is that he'll never accept a role as a 3&D guy. Theoretically, he should be taking 8 shots a game which would be open 3s or layups attacking close outs. But he wants to run the offense and shoot 15 times a game. He also shoots the 3 very poorly.

He'd be a terrible fit on the Mavs and really any contending team.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

They were the 2 seed and that's despite a litany of injures/suspensions to key players throughout the season.

The relationship just soured and Morants extension is about to kick in. The Grizzlies were never gonna extend Brooks if he's aiming for the $20-$25m price range. Same reason they let Kyle Anderson walk last off season. They're navigating a tight rope of Salary Cap management with Morant, Bane and JJJ's deals kicking in almost simultaneously.

Except Shams didn't say "we aren't taking you back at 20" he said "**** off, we don't want you back no matter what"
Iowaggie
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

The Grizzlies were going to extend him, and early in the season talks just ended. Another aspect on all this is that Shams breaking the story and stating "under any circumstances" has been assumed to be a Grizzlies source, but now people think that is a Brooks agent source because Shams tends to get his info from agents (I have no support for this).

I think his teammates liked him because he always plays hard and will not come in to camp out of shape, but what Brooks gives you is someone that is willing to guard SGA or Trae one night, and KAT or LeBron the next, and he does it relatively well. But he's not a good shooter. He has irrational confidence in his offensive abilities, seeing himself as a top 3 option, when he should be #5. If Dallas signed him and Kyrie, he'd proclaim a new big 3 in Dallas.

I think part of his problem was he was the bridge between the end of Gasol & Conley era to now. He was the big brother who was out grown by Desmond Bane and the others, and couldn't handle the diminished role.

If a playoff level team can get him on a 1+1(club option), I think it is a good signing.
shack009
AG
Iowaggie said:

M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

The Grizzlies were going to extend him, and early in the season talks just ended. Another aspect on all this is that Shams breaking the story and stating "under any circumstances" has been assumed to be a Grizzlies source, but now people think that is a Brooks agent source because Shams tends to get his info from agents (I have no support for this).

I think his teammates liked him because he always plays hard and will not come in to camp out of shape, but what Brooks gives you is someone that is willing to guard SGA or Trae one night, and KAT or LeBron the next, and he does it relatively well. But he's not a good shooter. He has irrational confidence in his offensive abilities, seeing himself as a top 3 option, when he should be #5. If Dallas signed him and Kyrie, he'd proclaim a new big 3 in Dallas.

I think part of his problem was he was the bridge between the end of Gasol & Conley era to now. He was the big brother who was out grown by Desmond Bane and the others, and couldn't handle the diminished role.

If a playoff level team can get him on a 1+1(club option), I think it is a good signing.

The problem is that irrational confidence guys don't take 1+1s to be a primary defender and a 5th or 6th option on offense.

Brooks will be extremely unhappy if he can't jack his 14+ shots a game.
M.C. Swag
AG
shack009 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Yeah no thanks on Thybulle.

Brooks' problem is that he'll never accept a role as a 3&D guy. Theoretically, he should be taking 8 shots a game which would be open 3s or layups attacking close outs. But he wants to run the offense and shoot 15 times a game. He also shoots the 3 very poorly.

He'd be a terrible fit on the Mavs and really any contending team.

Our roster is atrocious, i don't understand how any mavs fan can say "no thanks." But good luck finding these unicorn players that are nice, fit perfectly, can play and are attainable. Look forward to the list of better options that would be good for this team!
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

Except Shams didn't say "we aren't taking you back at 20" he said "**** off, we don't want you back no matter what"

Blah blah that's just media sniping non sense. Honestly makes the Grizz org look unprofessional.
Iowaggie
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

Good guess.

Also, people probably weren't expecting Relevant Chandler Parsons content, but here it is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.