***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

137,033 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by M.C. Swag
Carlo4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I still find it insane we are 2 games out of 4th place... but also 2 games out of 11th place.
Iowaggie
AG
wangus12 said:

My coworker is convinced Kyrie is just gonna coast the rest of the way. He balled out against the Lakers as a showcase and now he'll just ride it out till he can leave

Kyrie was playing very well until his injury. He came back into play, but went 0-For after the injury. 28 points through 3 quarters, and 0-8 post injury.

If he was coasting, I don't think he would have played as well as he did, nor do I think he would have returned to the game.

Guitarsoup
AG
I think Kyrie will play as hard as he can. He's crazy but he also knows it is a contract year. His numbers in Dallas are all at or near career highs.
zgolfz85
AG
what an infuriating season....to think we were in the WCF this time 9 months ago
Ol Jock 99
AG
Sigh
Spaceship
AG
Another annoying loss to an annoying team.
shack009
AG
This season is so stupid. We should sit Luka and Kyrie the rest of the year and go for our top-10 protected pick.
jograki
AG
Messy.
TefIon Don
AG
I just don't even know with this team
shack009
AG
Sucks to bring up officiating but the refs literally handed GS 2 points at the end of the 3rd and Luka should have been at the FT line many more times than he was.
shack009
AG
Reggie hits the 3 at the buzzer for the mavs to lose by 2. Cuban says he will protest to the league since the refs gave the warriors 2 points.
shack009
AG
Kidd should be fired for not playing Hardy more earlier in the year. He's probably the 3rd best player on the team.

Maybe if he had been playing earlier in the year the team wouldn't have needed to trade for Kyrie and would still have some defense in DFS.
AggieRob93
AG
Does Jason Kidd start to catch some heat?
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

Kidd should be fired for not playing Hardy more earlier in the year. He's probably the 3rd best player on the team.

Maybe if he had been playing earlier in the year the team wouldn't have needed to trade for Kyrie and would still have some defense in DFS.

It was so blatantly clear all along too. **** j Kidd
Spaceship
AG
AggieRob93 said:

Does Jason Kidd start to catch some heat?

He should, this team is below .500 with nine games left. He was an underwhelming hire to begin with.
zgolfz85
AG
this team is disgusting right now and I don't see it getting better this season. We'll be lucky to make the play in game tourney at this point
dave94
AG
zgolfz85 said:

this team is disgusting right now and I don't see it getting better this season. We'll be lucky to make the play in game tourney at this point

Don't see it getting any better is saying when Kyrie and Luka are on the court at the same it's not?
shack009
AG
Does Kidd have any idea what he is doing? Frank was first off the bench on Monday and tonight he played 0 minutes.

I don't think Frank should play at all, but it just shows that Kidd is completely lost on a night to night basis.
HawthornAggie
AG
If they miss the playoffs, I think he's gone. You can't have two of the top 10-15 players in the league and not make the playoffs. I know Luka and Kyrie have not been together the whole season, but a below .500 team that was in the WCF the year before is unacceptable.
zgolfz85
AG
dave94 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Don't see it getting any better is saying when Kyrie and Luka are on the court at the same it's not?

Nope, our record with both of them on the court is awful. This season is unfortunately toast. Would love to east crow there, but we all know I won't have to
HawthornAggie
AG
Three absolutely awful losses recently at home

1. The 27 point collapse against the Lakers
2. The last Memphis loss where we barely broke double digits in the 4th quarter
3. Tonight's loss against the warriors who this year are one of the worst road teams in HISTORY
shack009
AG
HawthornAggie said:

3. Tonight's loss against the warriors who this year are one of the worst road teams in HISTORY

The Memphis game was on the road but your point still stands. We are up by 16-18 late in the third as well in that one.

The bad loss to Memphis at home recently was when we allowed David Roddy to become LeBron James about 2 weeks ago.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Collective heads up asses, starting with Kidd

HawthornAggie
AG
shack009 said:

HawthornAggie said:

The Memphis game was on the road but your point still stands. We are up by 16-18 late in the third as well in that one.

The bad loss to Memphis at home recently was when we allowed David Roddy to become LeBron James about 2 weeks ago.

Ah my bad my bad. Painful losses blended together lol
shack009
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Collective heads up asses, starting with Kidd

I don't like Kidd as much as the next guy, but this was not on Kidd. It was on the officials. They said it was our ball before the TV timeout. Then they let the warriors inbound the ball under our basket.
shack009
AG
Van Gundy was saying on the broadcast that even if it was actually the warriors ball (it wasn't), then the officials should have told the Mavs team to come down to the correct side of the floor.

His theory was that the officials forgot which basket the teams were shooting at, so they weren't expecting that immediate action. But the officials completely botched that moment.
PatAg
AG
shack009
AG
Wow. Not sure how they could change the call. The replay showed by ESPN showed it clearly off Looney.
M.C. Swag
AG
PatAg said:

The only problem with that excuse is if the Mavs thought it was their ball, they would still need to inbound from the Warriors side. Cuban is just providing cover for his coach who clearly wasn't paying attention.
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

This season is so stupid. We should sit Luka and Kyrie the rest of the year and go for our top-10 protected pick.

I did not expect to reach a point in the season where I would be checking both the playoff standings and the tankathon.com standings.

Given that the Mavs have never moved up in the lottery, can you imagine if this is the year they somehow miss the playoffs then get lucky in the lottery and get a top 4 pick?
shack009
AG
I could understand them thinking the ball advances to the front court, even though that rule doesn't apply until late in the game.

Just this month we saw our star player forget the rule about being able to catch the ball in the back court from an inbounds pass.
Guitarsoup
AG
The west is so crazy this year. Mavs are simultaneously 2 games out if 4th place and 1 game out of 12th place.

9 of the 15 teams in the West have between 38 and 35 wins right now
M.C. Swag
AG
shack009 said:

I could understand them thinking the ball advances to the front court, even though that rule doesn't apply until late in the game.

Just this month we saw our star player forget the rule about being able to catch the ball in the back court from an inbounds pass.

Idk man, between EVERY player and coach, there's really no excuse. They just weren't prepared or weren't paying attention which makes Cubans excuse pretty invalid imo.
shack009
AG
Oh they clearly weren't prepared or paying attention. I was just trying to explain it, not excuse it haha.
jeffdjohnson
It was obvious when Carslisle left that moving to Kidd was a downgrade. I don't think even the biggest homer could think otherwise. The only question was how big of a downgrade it actually was. It appears to be just as bad as advertised.

The Mavs biggest problems now are defense, rebounding, and coaching. Offensively with a healthy Luka and Kyrie they are as good as anyone. We haven't seen much of those two playing together and healthy, but there isn't really any reason to believe they are good enough to overcome their defense, rebounding, and coaching issues. It was pretty obvious before the trade deadline that this team was flawed. They could have just played it out, rested Luka, and semi-tanked to keep their pick. Kyrie is a great player but he doesn't fix the major issues that were already present. Missing the playoffs and handing over the 12th pick in the draft would show such a lack of vision and misunderstanding of your own talent.

The problem is that Mavs are kind of running out of time. Luka is now on his 2nd contract. If things keep going south the Mavs may be as little as one more season away from a trade demand and back to square one. It isn't easy to fully sort the blame here, but ultimately they have lost on damn near every transaction they have made since drafting Luka and Brunson on the same night. Some moves made sense, and others just looked like Cuban being cheap, but whether I agreed with them or not they seemed to lose. I have no clue how the Mavs get out of this, now it seems like they are boxed in with limited avenues to get better. It is too late to even semi-tank and get down to pick 10.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.