***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

137,054 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by M.C. Swag
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Both Luka and Kyrie off on the same night??

Another winnable game with an "L".
Spaceship
AG
This team is now 34-34 with 14 games to play. I'm really underwhelmed with this season.
JW
AG
tank is on
zgolfz85
AG
so if we lose kyrie and wood....who knows, maybe we won't, but if we do....where do we go from there?
Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

so if we lose kyrie and wood....who knows, maybe we won't, but if we do....where do we go from there?
I feel like Wood will want a lot more money than he is worth.

Rockets ($61 million) No clue what Tillman would do, but not sure they want Wood back with Jabari.
Spurs ($40-48 million) Don't think Pop would want either player, think the Spurs plan is to tank one more season, gear up for FA 2024.
Jazz ($31-45 million) Since they have Lauri, doubt they want Wood
Magic ($22-58 million) - Doubt they want Wood with Paolo. Maybe Kyrie over Fultz?
Hornets ($27-37 million) - They could use Kyrie for sure. Don't think they would use their money on another PF
Thunder ($31 million) With Giddy and SGA, not sure they would want either player.
Pistons ($30 million) I won't try to put logic with anything Detroit does.
Pacers ($28 million) I think they could use Wood to go with Turner. Don't need Kyrie.

Unless Kyrie/Wood took a contract that those teams could offer, it would have to be a S&T anyway.
Iowaggie
AG
Christian Wood seems like the less talented, current version of DeMarcus Cousins.

He's on his 7th team in 7 seasons. Detroit gave him that decent contract, then wanted to get rid of him.

If he doesn't return to Mavs, I think he'll end up in LA.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Guitarsoup said:

zgolfz85 said:

Well, I think we all would think he's worth a lot more if Kidd would play him more than 15-18 minutes per game. It's ridiculous at this point. I'd like to keep Wood, but only if we get rid of Kidd. And if we don't keep Wood, I'd still like to get rid of Kidd. His lineups are indefensible.

Wood and Hardy should both be playing more (especially when one or both of Luka and Kyrie are out), and Holiday should never take minutes from Green. We may miss the playoffs, but at least Kidd is getting a point across about...Wood not being a great defender?
Guitarsoup
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Guitarsoup said:

zgolfz85 said:

Well, I think we all would think he's worth a lot more if Kidd would play him more than 15-18 minutes per game. It's ridiculous at this point. I'd like to keep Wood, but only if we get rid of Kidd. And if we don't keep Wood, I'd still like to get rid of Kidd. His lineups are indefensible.

Wood and Hardy should both be playing more (especially when one or both of Luka and Kyrie are out), and Holiday should never take minutes from Green. We may miss the playoffs, but at least Kidd is getting a point across about...Wood not being a great defender?
At least in Feb, Wood's shooting was way off after coming back from the broken thumb. And if he isn't shooting good, his defense is so bad that you really can't keep him on the floor. Since he came back from injury in early Feb, he has shot above 50% in just 4 of 14 games.

Dallas outscores opponents by .02 per possession when Wood is off the court, but Dallas is outscored by opponents by .01 per possession when Wood is on the court over the course of the entire season. With Wood nursing the foot injury and not shooting well, those numbers lately are probably even worse.

While a .03 swing in points per possession doesn't sound big, the difference between the best offense in the league in PPP (Sacramento) and the worst (Charlotte) is .09. Mavs overall for the season are scoring 1.166 ppp and giving up 1.161, so that puts them at +.005, just above break even.

But with being about .03 PPP better with Wood off the court over the season, that would put the Mavs at +.035 points per possession with Wood on the bench, and probably higher when shooting awful like he has been since the thumb injury.

+.035 would make the Mavs 7th in the league and 3rd in the West in outscoring opponents per possession. He's good enough offensively that he can overcome some of his massive defensive liabilities, especially if you pair him with a better defender down low.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I wasn't aware of those on/off numbers. If Luka and Kyrie are both out, then I would assume the numbers are better with Wood on the floor than without him on the floor. Because in that situation Wood's offense is much more important than when Luka is playing, and his defense is the same negative that it always is. But he was -7 on Saturday night, so maybe that's not the case.
Guitarsoup
AG
Just a quick run through - going to assume that Kyie and Luka are hugely positive.

Josh Green: +.002 better offensively when he is on the court than off. +.039 better defensively when he is on the court. So Mavs are +.041 better with him on than off.

THJ: Dallas is actually .06 better offensively with him on the court than off. And the Mavs are .024 better with him defensively than without. So with Timmy Hardaway, the Mavs are .084 points per possession better with him on the court than on the bench. That is insanely surprising.

Powell is pretty much the same story as Hardaway. +.086 with him on the court than off.

Hardy is opposite: -.084 worse when he is on the court.

The offense really suffers with Maxi on the court, but the Defense is significantly better for an overall of -.008.
dave94
AG
These guys are ******* turnover machines
mavsfan4ever
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Just a quick run through - going to assume that Kyie and Luka are hugely positive.

Josh Green: +.002 better offensively when he is on the court than off. +.039 better defensively when he is on the court. So Mavs are +.041 better with him on than off.

THJ: Dallas is actually .06 better offensively with him on the court than off. And the Mavs are .024 better with him defensively than without. So with Timmy Hardaway, the Mavs are .084 points per possession better with him on the court than on the bench. That is insanely surprising.

Powell is pretty much the same story as Hardaway. +.086 with him on the court than off.

Hardy is opposite: -.084 worse when he is on the court.

The offense really suffers with Maxi on the court, but the Defense is significantly better for an overall of -.008.

Thanks for this.

I'd like to see the 5 player rotation +/- numbers. Just going off watching the games, hardy almost never plays with Luka. If that's the case, his individual +/- will suffer bc he never gets the benefit of playing with Luka. Same with wood if he's normally playing with bench players.

Not saying that's the case, just saying that could be a possible explanation. Or maybe they just suck worse than it seems.

Either way, it looks like we may not even make the play in game.
Zachary Klement
AG
Is it too late to throw our names into the hat for the Wemby sweepstakes? This team is SORRY.
Legal Custodian
AG
Tie game under two minutes
Legal Custodian
AG
Down 3
FTAco07
AG
Such a horribly dumb play by Maxi. Right idea, horrible execution
FTAco07
AG
What a f'n joke this team is
mavsfan4ever
AG
So ****ing dumb. Fire kidd on the way home
Legend
AG
All he had to do was throw in it bounds at the opposite end. How do you throw it out of bounds?
Legal Custodian
AG
Up 8
Legal Custodian
AG
Up 11. Moving up to 7th place
Sports-Ag
AG
As a Spurs fan thank you for winning. Houston won tonight so helps the Spurs in the standings.
Zachary Klement
AG
Sports-Ag said:

As a Spurs fan thank you for winning. Houston won tonight so helps the Spurs in the standings.
Looked like we tried out best to prevent y'all from doing so. Thanks for besting our efforts.
Carlo4
AG
Had a 7 point lead with 8 minutes and blowing it yet again.
Carlo4
AG
Carlo4 said:

Had a 7 point lead with 8 minutes and blowing it yet again.

mavsfan4ever
AG
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hph6203
AG
When Kyrie made that pass and Kleber caught it awkwardly I thought there was absolutely no way.
MW03
AG
What a pass and what a shot. My goodness
Grapesoda2525
How do you choke this bad? Fire the coach or blow up the roster please. 9 points in the 4th quarter.
MW03
AG
That's about as bad of a 4th quarter as Kyrie has had in his whole career.
zgolfz85
AG
That loss is inexplicable
Grapesoda2525
The defense wasn't that good really. It was just missing wide open shots and they couldn't get any defensive rebounds at all.
PatAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

How do you choke this bad? Fire the coach or blow up the roster please. 9 points in the 4th quarter.
Just another point of evidence against Kidd as coach.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Kidd has plenty of knocks against him, but I'm not sure "all of your players, especially your best, suddenly forget how to shoot" is on him.
wangus12
AG
My coworker is convinced Kyrie is just gonna coast the rest of the way. He balled out against the Lakers as a showcase and now he'll just ride it out till he can leave

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.