***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

144,760 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by M.C. Swag
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FriscoKid said:

Kid and the GM and the owner should all be fired. Tonight's decision was stupid as ****.

I hope they stumble into a win and somehow OKC loses.

How do you explain **** like this to your kid that has been following this team all year long. "Sometimes you don't want to win".
If your kid isn't old enough to understand how the draft works, then you don't have to explain anything to him.
If he is, then you can explain it pretty easily.
Ol Jock 99
AG
PatAg said:

So we don't have the 10th pick locked up yet, I don't think. What are the reverse tiebreakers here.

I'm not going to argue hard, because there might be some random rule, but we should be in the bottom 10 regardless of Sunday. We could have the same record as the Thunder and Bulls if we win and they don't, but they both have the tie breaker, and are in the playoffs, right?
HawthornAggie
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

PatAg said:

So we don't have the 10th pick locked up yet, I don't think. What are the reverse tiebreakers here.

I'm not going to argue hard, because there might be some random rule, but we should be in the bottom 10 regardless of Sunday. We could have the same record as the Thunder and Bulls if we win and they don't, but they both have the tie breaker, and are in the playoffs, right?

This was my understanding
LitreBoy
AG
Paper Champs Mavs
M.C. Swag
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

PatAg said:

Don't think in season tie breakers matter for lotto odds. If our records are the same, order will be determined by a separate drawing.

So basically, we can still end up outside the top 10 if we win on Sunday.

(Also even if we lose and secure the "10th best odds" we can still land outside the top 10 if a team 11-14 jumps into the lottery. This has about a 20% of happening I think.)

We're not out of the woods yet!
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

PatAg said:

Don't think in season tie breakers matter for lotto odds. If our records are the same, order will be determined by a separate drawing.

(Also even if we lose and secure the "10th best odds" we can still land outside the top 10 if a team 11-14 jumps into the lottery. This has about a 20% of happening I think.)

I think the tiebreaker would be that OKC and Chicago made the play in tournament? I don't know, I could be wrong. That would just make too much sense.
M.C. Swag
AG
Only if they make the playoffs. Making the play in doesn't affect the odds IIRC.
Seven Costanza
AG
I assume that this is obvious to everyone, but remember that even if Dallas finishes the season in the 11th or 12th spot, they would still keep the pick if they draw a top 4 pick in the lottery. I think sometimes people get the idea that if they finish 11th, it goes to the Knicks, and then the Knicks would be in the hunt to win the lottery.
Zachary Klement
AG
If Cuban runs off Luka, I am following him wherever he goes and done with the Mavs.
shack009
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I assume that this is obvious to everyone, but remember that even if Dallas finishes the season in the 11th or 12th spot, they would still keep the pick if they draw a top 4 pick in the lottery. I think sometimes people get the idea that if they finish 11th, it goes to the Knicks, and then the Knicks would be in the hunt to win the lottery.

Yeah we are just being realistic and hoping for that 10. Mavs have never received any help from the lottery so I think we have all written off any pick that isn't 9 or 10.
Zachary Klement
AG
shack009 said:

Seven Costanza said:

Yeah we are just being realistic and hoping for that 10. Mavs have never received any help from the lottery so I think we have all written off any pick that isn't 9 or 10.
Or falling out and giving the pick to the Knicks!
zgolfz85
AG
https://nypost.com/2023/04/07/kris-jenkins-calls-out-mark-cuban-for-sick-jab-at-former-villanova-teammate/
alvtimes
shack009 said:

FriscoKid said:

Kid and the GM and the owner should all be fired. Tonight's decision was stupid as ****.

How do you explain **** like this to your kid that has been following this team all year long. "Sometimes you don't want to win".

Really? I'm upset they aren't trying hard enough to lose.

So because tanking is hard to explain to kids, it's bad strategy to do it? The mavs best chance at having a better team in the future is to keep their pick this year.

no its because people spend their money on tickets when a team isnt trying to win…. its bull**** and i hope the nba fines cuban a couple million
Bunk Moreland
alvtimes said:

shack009 said:

FriscoKid said:

So because tanking is hard to explain to kids, it's bad strategy to do it? The mavs best chance at having a better team in the future is to keep their pick this year.

no its because people spend their money on tickets when a team isnt trying to win…. its bull**** and i hope the nba fines cuban a couple million

Not much of a nba fan at all, mostly because of how much of a joke the regular season is, but ventured over here to see the reaction.

My opinion is it's a good move by Cuban and mavs brass. And the NBA has some gall to open an inquiry into it after a decade of placating to players and load management bull***** They basically say "sucks to suck" when asked the question of what do you do when a family of 4 spends $1k to attend a game + concessions and merch yet the stars decide day of the game to sit out.

Hilarious that an entire team is basically sitting out here.
shack009
AG
alvtimes said:

shack009 said:

FriscoKid said:

Are you new to the NBA?
Mateo84
AG
Any chance the Mavs get some form of draft punishment over this?
zgolfz85
AG
Mateo84 said:

Ha we'll probably lose the draft pick we're tanking for, which would be ironic af….gosh I hope not
hph6203
AG
FriscoKid said:

Any kid smart enough to realize they're losing on purpose is smart enough to understand why. Sometimes in life you sacrifice the pleasures of today for bigger wins tomorrow. Not that hard to explain.
J.P. 03
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Mateo84 said:

Ha we'll probably lose the draft pick we're tanking for, which would be ironic af….gosh I hope not

I'm a Mavs fan and want nothing but good things to happen to them, but they were dumb enough to list "rest" as the reason not one but TWO players missed their last game…while supposedly fighting for their playoff lives and with only one regular-season game left after it. If the league decides to punish them, they deserve every bit of it.
dave94
AG
That would be total bullsh*t
J.P. 03
AG
And sorry, I should add…I assume that when I say "punish" we're talking about a fine at worst, or maybe some random 2nd rounder 5+ years down the line. No way they'd take the Mavs' first-rounder away for this…although if we were back in the David Stern glory days I'm sure they'd bend some other team's envelope at the lottery drawing to make sure Dallas got bumped out of the top 10.
M.C. Swag
AG
J.P. 03 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Mateo84 said:

I'm a Mavs fan and want nothing but good things to happen to them, but they were dumb enough to list "rest" as the reason not one but TWO players missed their last game…while supposedly fighting for their playoff lives and with only one regular-season game left after it. If the league decides to punish them, they deserve every bit of it.

Lol excuse me? The Mavs tanked precisely 1 game. Have you see what Portland, San Antonio, or Detroit have been doing for most of the season?

Beyond that, the Mavs weren't "fighting for their playoff lives"; they were trying to scrape together a chance for the PLAY IN. That's right, AT BEST, the Mavs were gunning for 10th in the West. Out of 15 teams. Take a look at what teams below the Mavs have done and get off your high horse.
zgolfz85
AG
M.C. Swag said:

J.P. 03 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Mateo84 said:

Lol excuse me? The Mavs tanked precisely 1 game. Have you see what Portland, San Antonio, or Detroit have been doing for most of the season?

Beyond that, the Mavs weren't "fighting for their playoff lives"; they were trying to scrape together a chance for the PLAY IN. That's right, AT BEST, the Mavs were gunning for 10th in the West. Out of 15 teams. Take a look at what teams below the Mavs have done and get off your high horse.

Yep and we were likely to lose play in anyhow
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

J.P. 03 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Mateo84 said:

Dallas was 5th in the West on March 7th.
Two games back from Phoenix in 4th place and four games back from 2nd place in the West.
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

J.P. 03 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Mateo84 said:

Two games back from Phoenix in 4th place and four games back from 2nd place in the West.

Ok? They obviously weren't tanking until last night.
Iowaggie
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

PatAg said:

Sunday's games could be really bad. OKC and Bulls gain nothing by winning. Dallas could be hurt by winning.
All EC teams and top 4 in West are all resting players, and yes, it does go to a drawing if Dallas won and OKC and Bulls lost, causing a 3 way tie for 10-12. A Jazz victory and Mavs loss gives them a tie for 9 and 10.
Ol Jock 99
AG
So most of my feeds are Mavs centric. I happen to jump on another team's feed… The top story was "Luka Doncic top trade destinations."

That's, ummm, interesting.

Pardon the last name eff up. It is typed correctly and TA messes it up.
shack009
AG
Iowaggie said:

M.C. Swag said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

PatAg said:

Sunday's games could be really bad. OKC and Bulls gain nothing by winning. Dallas could be hurt by winning.
All EC teams and top 4 in West are all resting players, and yes, it does go to a drawing if Dallas won and OKC and Bulls lost, causing a 3 way tie for 10-12. A Jazz victory and Mavs loss gives them a tie for 9 and 10.

The Bulls play a bad Detroit team and OKC plays Memphis who has nothing to play for.

Unfortunately, Utah plays the Lakers, who will be trying to win.
J.P. 03
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I agree with what you're saying. The point i was trying to make isn't that the Mavs shouldn't be tanking (they should be, IMO), it's that they're being really dumb in how they're going about it.

Cuban has to know he's more likely to be in the league's crosshairs than a lot of other owners, so what I was trying to say is that it makes it really hard for him to argue that the Mavs weren't tanking yesterday when they put 2 guys on the injury report as "resting" when, from the league's perspective, they SHOULD have been going all-out trying to win and make the play-in. Any player who actually WANTED to make the play-in would tell his coach to GFH if he tried to bench him with 2 games to go, but obviously that didn't happen here (that we know of).

That's what I was alluding to in my post as being worthy of punishment…the HOW, not the WHAT.

I'll shut up for the rest of the night, but hopefully that clarifies my earlier post.
shack009
AG
The Bulls are up 10 early on Detroit and the Bulls are playing all their guys.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

J.P. 03 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Mateo84 said:

Gotcha. They weren't tanking, they just had the same record over that time as the Spurs who obviously were tanking.

You said the Mavs were trying to scrap together a play-in berth, but they were a top 5 team a month ago, fighting for home-court advantage.
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

J.P. 03 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Mateo84 said:

Gotcha. They weren't tanking, they just had the same record over that time as the Spurs who obviously were tanking.

You said the Mavs were trying to scrap together a play-in berth, but they were a top 5 team a month ago, fighting for home-court advantage.

Context matters. The Mavs played 57 clutch games this season. They were only blown out 1 time since Jan 10. They don't give up a FRP for Kyrie to tank. And I honestly can't believe I had to explain that. If you used your adult brain, you would see the context of my "play in berth" comment was about the Bulls game; in which the Mavs ONLY OPTION was to win for a chance at a play in.
shack009
AG
Bulls win comfortably. OKC is two point favorites today against Memphis.
shack009
AG
We are down 25-7.
zgolfz85
AG
Our lineup today

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.