***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

137,039 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lol I actually like Dick (pause). He's the safest pick in the draft with a proven skillset that will instantly translate on day 1. He needs to add some weight, but I don't really see any scenario where he "busts" in todays NBA. And defensively he's not a stopper but he's 6'7 with a 6'8 wingspan. People are acting like he's Luka level bad at defense when really he's closer to Bullock (serviceable).

Plus if we draft Dick, it makes Bullock or THJ expendable.

Like, there's worse ways to spend a pick.
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Lol I actually like Dick (pause). He's the safest pick in the draft with a proven skillset that will instantly translate on day 1. He needs to add some weight, but I don't really see any scenario where he "busts" in todays NBA. And defensively he's not a stopper but he's 6'7 with a 6'8 wingspan. People are acting like he's Luka level bad at defense when really he's closer to Bullock (serviceable).

I just don't think he makes sense on the Mavs. He makes the offense crazy good, but the defense would continue to be poor. I don't think he's style is what the Mavs need. Would rather trade down to offload salary and take Lively/Coulibaly/Rupert later in the draft.

If the Magic were to take him at 11, that would be a great fit. They could put him with guys who are athletic defenders in Fultz, Franz, Paolo, Wendell, or Suggs for some defensive protection.
M.C. Swag
AG
shack009 said:

M.C. Swag said:

I just don't think he makes sense on the Mavs. He makes the offense crazy good, but the defense would continue to be poor. I don't think he's style is what the Mavs need. Would rather trade down to offload salary and take Lively/Coulibaly/Rupert later in the draft.

If the Magic were to take him at 11, that would be a great fit. They could put him with guys who are athletic defenders in Fultz, Franz, Paolo, Wendell, or Suggs for some defensive protection.
In a vacuum he doesn't but he does give you optionality when it comes to trading THJ or Bullock.

And just as a thought experiment; would you rather draft Dick or Lively? Because I've seen some Mavs fans clamor to reach for Lively. And while he does fill a positional need, he's at least 2 years from meaningfully contributing to an NBA roster. Whereas Gradey Dick is ready right now.

The biggest cardinal sin in NBA draft history, is drafting based on 'need.' That's my only fear with the Mavs. That they'll pass on better plays for better 'fits.'

Cason Wallace is a freaking stud. I'm think he can ball in the league but he's another G and doesn't really fill a need.

I just love Dick (this will never not be funny). I actually think he can do much more than he's shown and frankly, I'll argue he's not a negative on defense. Bottom line, I know that Dick won't fail (pause) in the NBA, He may never been an All Star but he's got 10yr vet written all over him.

I can't say the same for guys like Ausar Thompson, Anthony Black, or Jarace Walker (although I won't bash anyone for wanting Walker because he seems like a complete menace).
M.C. Swag
AG
Sidenote: I think Dick goes higher than 10. His size+skillset combo are too good to fall to the bottom of the lottery.
shack009
AG
In the gun-to-my-head experiment I would rather take Dick at 10 (as opposed to any other time, gulp) than Lively, but I personally don't want the mavs to take either at 10.

I generally agree with the strategy of drafting best player as opposed to need. That's why I hope Hendricks or Walker falls to 10. I really wouldn't mind Casen at 10 either, but it is an odd fit, as you said.

I just think the mavs would be better off trading back then swinging on a raw wing like Leonard Miller, Coulibaly, or Rupert, as opposed to taking Dick at 10.

But there is a world where he is best available there and the mavs have to make the pick and he is the guy they take.
M.C. Swag
AG
shack009 said:

In the gun-to-my-head experiment I would rather take Dick at 10 (as opposed to any other time, gulp) than Lively, but I personally don't want the mavs to take either at 10.

I generally agree with the strategy of drafting best player as opposed to need. That's why I hope Hendricks or Walker falls to 10. I really wouldn't mind Casen at 10 either, but it is an odd fit, as you said.

I just think the mavs would be better off trading back then swinging on a raw wing like Leonard Miller, Coulibaly, or Rupert, as opposed to taking Dick at 10.

But there is a world where he is best available there and the mavs have to make the pick and he is the guy they take.
Coulibaly is a weird one. If you told me he was a top 10 pick or a early 30s pick, I'd believe you.

But ya I'm with ya. If Hendricks or Walker make it to 10, it's pretty easy decision. But if all the bonafide PFs are off the board and you're trying to talk yourself into Leonard Miller over Dick or Wallace....I'm concerned.
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

shack009 said:

Coulibaly is a weird one. If you told me he was a top 10 pick or a early 30s pick, I'd believe you.

But ya I'm with ya. If Hendricks or Walker make it to 10, it's pretty easy decision. But if all the bonafide PFs are off the board and you're trying to talk yourself into Leonard Miller over Dick or Wallace....I'm concerned.

Agreed. I get the sense the Mavs have a trade down plan in the case that Hendricks/Walker/Unknown Draft Faller aren't there at 10.

Again, I'm just getting way too positive a vibe from this draft, and I am prepared to get hurt again.
Guitarsoup
AG
If Bron decides to try to force it, LA blows everything up, right?

Get Dallas two young guns, TJH, Bertans for salary, #10 and a future first.

Then Trade AD's hobbled ass to Portland for Simons, Nurkic, #3, #23.

LA Lakers go into tank mode, but with a decent young core:

#3 (Miller the Killer)
#10 (Jarace Walker)
#17 (Dereck Lively)
#23 (Jalen Hood-Schifino)

Malick Beasley and Mo Bamba have unguaranteed contracts and they can cut them. They can choose to resign Rui H or not. I would assume they keep Reaves.

C: Jusaf Nurkic / Dereck Lively
PF: Jarace Walker / Jarred Vanderbilt
SF: Miller the Killer / Green
SG: Simons / Hardy
PG: Austin Reaves / Jalen Hood-Schifino / Shaq Harrison

Dallas further guts their depth, but LeBron does have a knack of getting his buddies to come in and play big roles on min contracts. Lakers could do a lot worse in blowing it up.
M.C. Swag
AG
That's awful
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

That's awful
Brilliant and detail analysis
M.C. Swag
AG
He's 38, will be 39 come next playoffs. On the decline. Doesn't play defense. Is most effective with the ball in his hands (just like Luka and Kyrie) = terrible fit. The roster would be gutted. Luka+Kyrie+Lebron would make $134m JUST by themselves. Like, I'm sorry but the only way you could possibly think this is good for the Mavs is if you're a massive Lebron stan or not a Mavs fan (hmm).

Didn't think I needed to elaborate. Maybe the Spurs should trade everything for him!
shack009
AG
I was going to ask if actual Mavs fans even wanted LeBron. He picks his spots to give effort, doesn't guard good players on defense anymore, he isn't a particularly good 3 point shooter, and he will want the ball all the time.

LeBron makes absolutely no sense on the Mavs, even less so when you start talking about what has to be given up to get him.
zgolfz85
AG
as someone who's prided himself on ****ting on bron for years, I don't think I could reconcile having to root for him
DannyDuberstein
AG
Defense, rebounding, perimeter shooting. That's what they need. He provides little of that. Luka and Kyrie are more than capable of providing the positives Lebron provides
Zachary Klement
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Got it. I guess replace Wood with Jarace Walker and run it back then.

Quote:

Maybe the Spurs should trade everything for him!

The Spurs haven't been making a long series of awful moves so they don't have awful contacts on awful players and a lack of flexibility and ability to add talent.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

The Spurs haven't been making a long series of awful moves so they don't have awful contacts on awful players and a lack of flexibility and ability to add talent.

Come on, your first statement is a bit disingenuous. The most likely scenario, IMO, is actually that the Mavs move the pick to offload salary and add another rotation player or two.

Secondarily, the Mavs will be active in free agency and in the trade market. I know a lot of the FAs aren't particularly good, but this is not going to look like the March Mavs with Wood swapped for Walker.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Come on, your first statement is a bit disingenuous. The most likely scenario, IMO, is actually that the Mavs move the pick to offload salary and add another rotation player or two.

Secondarily, the Mavs will be active in free agency and in the trade market. I know a lot of the FAs aren't particularly good, but this is not going to look like the March Mavs with Wood swapped for Walker.
Is it, though?

The Mavs will have the bi-annual and Mid-level exceptions. But they have those anyway with or without a major trade. With the cap hold of Kyrie or any contract starting at $21mm/year, the Mavs are operating as a team over the cap.

The Mavs are always active in the free agency and trade markets, but just like San Antonio, Dallas hasn't had the best luck in the free agency market. What are the big Dallas FA signings of the last decade? Old Vince Carter, Chandler Parsons and Harrison Barnes for the Max?

At least LeBron has the ability to bring in role players and veterans to fill much needed positions. He did it in MIami, Cleveland, and LA and I have no reason to think that a team with three of the best passers in the league wouldn't be a 1-2 year destination for a variety of D&3 guys.

I don't think a lot of higher level free agents are going to be clamoring to sign with a possibly imploding Dallas team that won less than 32% of their games that Luka+Kyrie played in. And the free agent class is ass, my dude.

I don't think #10 packaged with David Bertans is all that appealing to most teams, especially when Orlando has #6 and #11, so they could easily send out #11 without packaging a top 5 worst contract in the NBA with it. The Mavs trade assets aren't enticing other than maybe Hardy and Green.

Go get Naz Reid with the MLE and split the BAE with two of LeBron's super friends to be named later and min deals to fill out the team with ring chasers.

Naz Reid
LeBron/Maxi Kleber
Bullock
Kyrie
Luka

LeBron isn't the same player he was a decade ago when Dirk punked him in the Finals, but he still put up 29/8/7 for the season last year. I'm far from a LBJ stan (Jordan is still the GOAT, followed by Ginobili) but when they decide they want to play (honestly goes for LBJ and Kyrie) this is a much better team than the Mavs will probably put together. I think drawing in players to ring chase with that team is easier than what Dallas would otherwise have. Plus if it doesn't work out, the cap stuff is much easier afterwards because THJ and Bertans are gone.
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Is it, though?

The Mavs will have the bi-annual and Mid-level exceptions. But they have those anyway with or without a major trade. With the cap hold of Kyrie or any contract starting at $21mm/year, the Mavs are operating as a team over the cap.

The Mavs are always active in the free agency and trade markets, but just like San Antonio, Dallas hasn't had the best luck in the free agency market. What are the big Dallas FA signings of the last decade? Old Vince Carter, Chandler Parsons and Harrison Barnes for the Max?

At least LeBron has the ability to bring in role players and veterans to fill much needed positions. He did it in MIami, Cleveland, and LA and I have no reason to think that a team with three of the best passers in the league wouldn't be a 1-2 year destination for a variety of D&3 guys.

I don't think a lot of higher level free agents are going to be clamoring to sign with a possibly imploding Dallas team that won less than 32% of their games that Luka+Kyrie played in. And the free agent class is ass, my dude.

I don't think #10 packaged with David Bertans is all that appealing to most teams, especially when Orlando has #6 and #11, so they could easily send out #11 without packaging a top 5 worst contract in the NBA with it. The Mavs trade assets aren't enticing other than maybe Hardy and Green.

Go get Naz Reid with the MLE and split the BAE with two of LeBron's super friends to be named later and min deals to fill out the team with ring chasers.

Naz Reid
LeBron/Maxi Kleber
Bullock
Kyrie
Luka

LeBron isn't the same player he was a decade ago when Dirk punked him in the Finals, but he still put up 29/8/7 for the season last year. I'm far from a LBJ stan (Jordan is still the GOAT, followed by Ginobili) but when they decide they want to play (honestly goes for LBJ and Kyrie) this is a much better team than the Mavs will probably put together. I think drawing in players to ring chase with that team is easier than what Dallas would otherwise have. Plus if it doesn't work out, the cap stuff is much easier afterwards because THJ and Bertans are gone.
1) Mavs aren't using the 10th pick to offload Bertans. As I said before, his last year is only $5m guaranteed (which is only $2m more than what his vet min deal would cost), making him a pseudo expiring contract. If the Mavs want to move him, it won't be that hard.

But either way the Mavs aren't using the 10th pick in the deepest draft in years as ballast to dump a contract that only has $5m left after this season.

2) In your insane trade proposal, the Mavs don't have the MLE because of hard cap rules. They'll likely just have the TPMLE which is only $5m. That won't get you Naz Reid. And for the same reason, they can't use the BAE because it will hard cap them at the tax apron. The only avenue to sign players will be vet mins and the TPMLE of $5m.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Is it, though?

Naz Reid
LeBron/Maxi Kleber
Bullock
Kyrie
Luka

1) Mavs aren't using the 10th pick to offload Bertans. As I said before, his last year is only $5m guaranteed (which is only $2m more than what his vet min deal would cost), making him a pseudo expiring contract. If the Mavs want to move him, it won't be that hard.

But either way the Mavs aren't using the 10th pick in the deepest draft in years as ballast to dump a contract that only has $5m left after this season.

Mavs are going to have to match salary because they are an over the cap team. That means Bertans, Maxi, or THJ. And all would be much harder for most teams to take on than you will admit. That's ok, you are a huge Mavs homer. So it is 10+ one or more of those guys.

Quote:

2) In your insane trade proposal, the Mavs don't have the MLE because of hard cap rules. They'll likely just have the TPMLE which is only $5m. That won't get you Naz Reid. And for the same reason, they can't use the BAE because it will hard cap them at the tax apron. The only avenue to sign players will be vet mins and the TPMLE of $5m.
Not true, but did it make you feel better to type that?

Luka 40mm
LeBron 46.7mm
Maxi 11mm
Reggie 10.5mm
MLE: 12mm
BAE: 4.4mm (assume 2 players, but could be 1)
7 players, need 6 more at vet min (~2mm avg): 12mm

That's $136.8mm.

That's 25.2mm for Kyrie, which is fair. Cutting Bullock can get Kyrie another ~8mm, which is still overpaying for his tin foil ass

Unless you think instead of doing this, the Mavs should give Kyrie the Max. Because giving Kyrie the max is actually ****ing insane.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Is it, though?

Naz Reid
LeBron/Maxi Kleber
Bullock
Kyrie
Luka

Because giving Kyrie the max is actually ****ing insane.

No it isn't. He's one of the 5-10 best offensive players in the league.

The Mavs just need some 3&D help and a guy who can rebound. This team can be fixed pretty quickly with a decent draft pick or swapping the pick and salary for 1-2 contributors, plus a free agent or two.

With Kyrie, the team has two superstars, they just need to find the correct role guys to fit around them.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Is it, though?

Naz Reid
LeBron/Maxi Kleber
Bullock
Kyrie
Luka

The Mavs just need some 3&D help and a guy who can rebound. This team can be fixed pretty quickly with a decent draft pick or swapping the pick and salary for 1-2 contributors, plus a free agent or two.

With Kyrie, the team has two superstars, they just need to find the correct role guys to fit around them.
Max for Kyrie is 270mm over 5 years. Yes, that's ****ing insane. He's a great offensive player, but he also is bat**** crazy, is 31yo and hasn't played 70+ games in a season since he was in Cleveland when he was 24.

Mavs need a lot more than a rebounder and a D&3 guy.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Is it, though?

Naz Reid
LeBron/Maxi Kleber
Bullock
Kyrie
Luka

Max for Kyrie is 270mm over 5 years. Yes, that's ****ing insane. He's a great offensive player, but he also is bat**** crazy, is 31yo and hasn't played 70+ games in a season since he was in Cleveland when he was 24.

This is just a way of saying he didn't want to get vaccinated. If not for the insane vaccine requirement, he would have played all of the 21-22 season. People always forget to mention that. Not like he has been hurt a ton recently. Also nobody plays 70+ games anymore.

Mavs need 1 center who is better than Powell and 2 3&D wings. Yes, that is easier said than done, but it can be done.
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Is it, though?

Naz Reid
LeBron/Maxi Kleber
Bullock
Kyrie
Luka

Mavs are going to have to match salary because they are an over the cap team. That means Bertans, Maxi, or THJ. And all would be much harder for most teams to take on than you will admit. That's ok, you are a huge Mavs homer. So it is 10+ one or more of those guys.

Quote:

Luka 40mm
LeBron 46.7mm
Maxi 11mm
Reggie 10.5mm

That's $136.8mm.

That's 25.2mm for Kyrie, which is fair.

Unless you think instead of doing this, the Mavs should give Kyrie the Max. Because giving Kyrie the max is actually ****ing insane.

Quote:

I never denied the rules of NBA trades. I understand contracts have to align. That wasn't my point. My point was that Bertans specifically is akin to an expiring contract. He's just salary fodder which is actually quite useful in negotiating trades since his contract has only $5m guaranteed beyond this upcoming season.

Has nothing to do with being a homer. I'm addressing a fundamental flaw in your understanding of his deal.
Quote:

Calm down, you're a spurs fan in a Mavs thread.
Quote:

Luka 40mm
LeBron 46.7mm
Maxi 11mm
Reggie 10.5mm

That's $136.8mm.

That's 25.2mm for Kyrie, which is fair.
So you're entire basis for this fever dream trade is predicated on Kyrie taking a pay cut. That's not happening. This convo is dead on arrival just on that point alone.

Kyrie has a $42m cap hold until he signs a new deal. Which means in order for the Mavs to do anything close to what you're suggesting, he would have to agree to a contract that's roughly half of what his max value would be.

That's not happening. The Mavs are going to give either a 2, 3, or 4yr deal to Kyrie. I have no idea which, but it will assuredly be the max.

But even if I conceded that to you, Lebron doesn't make this team better in 2023 if the Mavs are giving away everything that isn't nailed down. It'd be franchise suicide. Lebron simply isn't a basketball fit. If you disagree with that then you and I just have fundamental disagreement on roster construction.
Quote:

Hey we agree. But that ship sailed when the Mavs gave up an unprotected 1st round pick for him.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Is it, though?

Naz Reid
LeBron/Maxi Kleber
Bullock
Kyrie
Luka

This is just a way of saying he didn't want to get vaccinated. If not for the insane vaccine requirement, he would have played all of the 21-22 season. People always forget to mention that. Not like he has been hurt a ton recently. Also nobody plays 70+ games anymore.

Mavs need 1 center who is better than Powell and 2 3&D wings. Yes, that is easier said than done, but it can be done.
Not getting the shot isn't the only reason he is crazy. He might have played the whole season, he might not have. We don't know.

But he got moved extremely cheap for a top 5-10 offensive player specifically because he is crazy. Also has said Dinosaurs are fake, moon landings were faked, earth is flat, etc.

Sorry man, I think the Mavs are farther away from contending than you do. I also think it will be harder to attract the right players with Luka/Kyrie/Kidd.

Probably fairly normal for a fan to think their own team is better than it is.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Is it, though?

Naz Reid
LeBron/Maxi Kleber
Bullock
Kyrie
Luka

Not getting the shot isn't the only reason he is crazy. He might have played the whole season, he might not have. We don't know.

But he got moved extremely cheap for a top 5-10 offensive player specifically because he is crazy. Also has said Dinosaurs are fake, moon landings were faked, earth is flat, etc.

Sorry man, I think the Mavs are farther away from contending than you do. I also think it will be harder to attract the right players with Luka/Kyrie/Kidd.

Call me crazy, but I don't care what my team's point guard thinks about dinosaurs or the dimensions of the earth.

Just last year we watched Luka drag a team to the conference finals. Brunson has been replaced with Kyrie. Hardy and Josh Green can combine to equal Dinwiddie. Now we just need to replace DFS and we need to upgrade center.

Also, Mavs were maybe the most unlucky team in terms of clutch games this past year. Mavs aren't that far off.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

So you're entire basis for this fever dream trade is predicated on Kyrie taking a pay cut. That's not happening. This convo is dead on arrival just on that point alone.

Let him explore free agency. He isn't worth near that.

Quote:

Kyrie has a $42m cap hold until he signs a new deal. Which means in order for the Mavs to do anything close to what you're suggesting, he would have to agree to a contract that's roughly half of what his max value would be.

That's not happening. The Mavs are going to give either a 2, 3, or 4yr deal to Kyrie. I have no idea which, but it will assuredly be the max.

He could agree to a 1y deal and Mavs still hold Bird rights, so give the handshake deal to give him big bucks or an extra year next year. That's basically what Chris Paul did to force his trade to the Rockets.

So if Kyrie and the Mavs agreed to a 2y85mm contract when he was traded and he agrees to take 25mm this year, you give him the 2y85 next year with a 3rd year of 45mm with just 20mm guaranteed. That makes up the 17mm he gives up.

Spurs did something similar with Duncan when he retired. He got a nice little bonus that year to help start up his car shop.

Quote:

But even if I conceded that to you, Lebron doesn't make this team better in 2023 if the Mavs are giving away everything that isn't nailed down. It'd be franchise suicide. Lebron simply isn't a basketball fit. If you disagree with that then you and I just have fundamental disagreement on roster construction.

I also look at the history that LeGM will also bring in much needed role players that take under value, just like he did in Miami, LA, and Cleveland. Dallas needs those role players regardless. There were less than 10 guys that averaged over Jaylen Brown's 26.6PPG last year and the Mavs would have three of them and all three are still elite passers. Do I think it is ideal? Nope.

Ten teams in the modern NBA have had three 20-point scorers. The Durant Warriors were three of them, and their best was 22/25/25. No one else would be close to what the Mavs could have with 28/28/32 with all of them averaging a ton of assists. But yeah, huge black hole on defense without the right role players coming in, but trade or no, I don't think Tyson Chandler and Shawn Marion are walking through that door.
shack009
AG
https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

Kevin O'Connor updated his mock draft today and it is my nightmare scenario for the Mavs.

1. Wemby
2. B Miller
3. Scoot
4. Whitmore
5. Jarace Walker
6. Amen Thompson
7. Hendricks
8. Ausar Thompson
9. Anthony Black
10. Cason Wallace
11. Dick

Most expect Houston at 4 to take a Thompson, but KOC has them taking Whitmore as a better fit to go with Harden. Most people think Detroit at 5 would take Whitmore if he is there, so Houston snagging him moves them to Jarace Walker, who I think the Mavs would love to have.

I thought it was likely Indiana at 7 would decide who the Mavs take, because they would take one of Walker or Hendricks if both are available, then you hope whichever one they don't take makes it past Washington and Utah.

KOC writes that he thinks the Mavs would trade the pick, but that Cason could fit as a good defensive backcourt guy.
M.C. Swag
AG
I love your audacity to say "not true, but do you feel better?" to me when I was supposed to intuit that your hypothetical free agency plan revolves around Kyrie Irving taking a massive 1yr paycut deal on a promise to get paid more later by an owner and city he has no loyalty to. Bravo.
zgolfz85
AG
you guys should just bang it out
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Is it, though?

Naz Reid
LeBron/Maxi Kleber
Bullock
Kyrie
Luka

Call me crazy, but I don't care what my team's point guard thinks about dinosaurs or the dimensions of the earth.

Just last year we watched Luka drag a team to the conference finals. Brunson has been replaced with Kyrie. Hardy and Josh Green can combine to equal Dinwiddie. Now we just need to replace DFS and we need to upgrade center.

Also, Mavs were maybe the most unlucky team in terms of clutch games this past year. Mavs aren't that far off.

Yeah, only five spots on the court, so two guys combining to produce the same as one doesn't quite work like that.

Sure, the Mavs made a cinderella run to the WCF, but they were also winning at a 31.5% rate with Kyrie+Luka last year.

A lot has changed since then. Sacramento is coming into their own. Denver is in the Finals. Phoenix added Durant. The Pelicans should be among the top teams if healthy, OKC is probably a top team if healthy, the Spurs might make the play-in this year.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I love your audacity to say "not true, but do you feel better?" to me when I was supposed to intuit that your hypothetical free agency plan revolves around Kyrie Irving taking a massive 1yr paycut deal on a promise to get paid more later by an owner and city he has no loyalty to. Bravo.
Chris Paul had no loyalty to the Rockets, who he didnt even play for, but he agreed to the same type of deal. Not that farfetched and not unprecedented at all. Hell, even fat James took less for a year in Philly for the same reason.

If he is trying to bring guys like LeBron to Dallas, then he is certainly trying to work things to win. Deferred compensation isn't that uncommon.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

Kevin O'Connor updated his mock draft today and it is my nightmare scenario for the Mavs.

1. Wemby
2. B Miller
3. Scoot
4. Whitmore
5. Jarace Walker
6. Amen Thompson
7. Hendricks
8. Ausar Thompson
9. Anthony Black
10. Cason Wallace
11. Dick

Most expect Houston at 4 to take a Thompson, but KOC has them taking Whitmore as a better fit to go with Harden. Most people think Detroit at 5 would take Whitmore if he is there, so Houston snagging him moves them to Jarace Walker, who I think the Mavs would love to have.

I thought it was likely Indiana at 7 would decide who the Mavs take, because they would take one of Walker or Hendricks if both are available, then you hope whichever one they don't take makes it past Washington and Utah.

KOC writes that he thinks the Mavs would trade the pick, but that Cason could fit as a good defensive backcourt guy.
God I hope Houston gives Harden 4y200mm and Houston takes a ridiculous upside potential guy that can jump really well rather than guys that are proven 2-way players.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Is it, though?

Naz Reid
LeBron/Maxi Kleber
Bullock
Kyrie
Luka

Quote:

Yeah, only five spots on the court, so two guys combining to produce the same as one doesn't quite work like that.
Such solid analysis by you. Yeah, nobody has ever said 2 guys can combine for the production of 1. Dinwiddie played 40 minutes a game. Obviously those minutes would be split among Josh and Hardy.

Quote:

Sure, the Mavs made a cinderella run to the WCF, but they were also winning at a 31.5% rate with Kyrie+Luka last year.
As I have said, the Mavs need to add the correct pieces to fit around those guys. They were also very unlucky in terms of clutch games.

Quote:

A lot has changed since then. Sacramento is coming into their own. Denver is in the Finals. Phoenix added Durant. The Pelicans should be among the top teams if healthy, OKC is probably a top team if healthy, the Spurs might make the play-in this year.
A wise man once told me "Probably fairly normal for a fan to think their own team is better than it is."
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, thinking the Spurs will be a **checks notes** bottom 6 team in the conference is definitely too high.

Good luck with Grady Dick!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.