***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

138,806 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by M.C. Swag
shack009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Speaking of Phoenix, does anybody know how to get ahold of their GM? I need to get him really high and send him this idea from Bleacher Report:

Quote:

Dallas Mavericks Receive: C Deandre Ayton
Phoenix Suns Receive: F/C Christian Wood (via sign-and-trade), SG Josh Green, C JaVale McGee

A shaky center position in Dallas only gets worse as both Wood and Dwight Powell now become free agents. Getting Ayton, who was selected two picks ahead of Luka Doncic in 2018, would give the Mavs another franchise centerpiece who's still only 24 and under contract for the next three seasons.

Ayton put up 18.0 points, 10.0 rebounds and shot 58.9 percent overall this season and has become a solid defender who still carries some three-point shooting potential.

Wood is capable of starting at power forward or center, giving Phoenix yet another offensive weapon to take the pressure off Devin Booker and Kevin Durant. McGee thrived during his previous stop with the Suns as a backup center and Green is a good, young 3-and-D piece to place between the stars.

Bleacher Report always has crackpot ideas. The only way Phoenix does this is if there are absolutely no other suitors for DA and they think they have to move him. How does this help them at all?

Mavs would also have to send the 10th pick in any serious DA trade.
Guitarsoup
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Speaking of Phoenix, does anybody know how to get ahold of their GM? I need to get him really high and send him this idea from Bleacher Report:

Quote:

Dallas Mavericks Receive: C Deandre Ayton
Phoenix Suns Receive: F/C Christian Wood (via sign-and-trade), SG Josh Green, C JaVale McGee

A shaky center position in Dallas only gets worse as both Wood and Dwight Powell now become free agents. Getting Ayton, who was selected two picks ahead of Luka Doncic in 2018, would give the Mavs another franchise centerpiece who's still only 24 and under contract for the next three seasons.

Ayton put up 18.0 points, 10.0 rebounds and shot 58.9 percent overall this season and has become a solid defender who still carries some three-point shooting potential.

Wood is capable of starting at power forward or center, giving Phoenix yet another offensive weapon to take the pressure off Devin Booker and Kevin Durant. McGee thrived during his previous stop with the Suns as a backup center and Green is a good, young 3-and-D piece to place between the stars.

Vogel is mostly a defensive-minded coach. I can't imagine him wanting Christian Wood.
shack009
AG
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077669-2023-nba-mock-draft-updated-full-2-round-predictions

Bleacher Report's most recent mock draft has Taylor Hendricks falling to the Mavs at 10. I am caught between two minds here: on one hand BR is pretty click-bait-y and hardly ever correct, but on the other hand I want this to be the case in reality.

If the Mavs make a selection for themselves at 10, I think it needs to be Jarace Walker or Taylor Hendricks (assuming no other top prospects fall). This mock has Indiana taking Walker, whereas most other mocks seem to have them taking Hendricks. Hendricks falls to 10 with Utah taking Grady Dick. I really question that Utah would do this, given Dick seems like more of a guy who is ready to help a contending right now who needs shooting help. Utah needs to swing for upside.

Hendricks' major knock is he isn't a great ballhandler/dribbler, and I wonder if teams watching Jaylen Brown puke all over himself while dribbling this playoffs has caused Hendricks to slide (whereas Jarace Walker can handle the ball and do some playmaking). This is something the Mavs wouldn't really need to worry about, because Hendricks would never be asked to carry a major load with the ball in his hands for the Mavs.
M.C. Swag
AG
I will literally change my TexAgs handle to anything GuitarSoup wants if Hendricks is available at 10. There is no player in the draft I am more convinced will be a top 8 pick than Hendricks (I honestly think he goes even higher once teams get him for workouts).
zgolfz85
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I will literally change my TexAgs handle to anything GuitarSoup wants if Hendricks is available at 10. There is no player in the draft I am more convinced will be a top 8 pick than Hendricks (I honestly think he goes even higher once teams get him for workouts).

Love it and agreed we'd be hitting some kind of lottery if he's still there for us at 10
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Zachary Klement
AG

WE ARE BACK
Guitarsoup
AG
Zachary Klement said:

WE ARE BACK

This seems fair for both teams.
Zachary Klement
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

WE ARE BACK

This seems fair for both teams.
Brilliant. Let's get you in the front office.
Zachary Klement
AG
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I agree, I have serious doubts he will be there and I also love Hendricks as a prospect. I wanted the Mavs to tank the last month of the season for the sole reason of drafting him, then he saw his stock rise significantly.

Utah is a wild card. If they take Dick or Wallace, then one of Hendricks, Walker, Thompson will be there for us at 10. Mavs would have to consider that a W.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

M.C. Swag said:

I will literally change my TexAgs handle to anything GuitarSoup wants if Hendricks is available at 10.

I agree,

Guitarsoup
AG
Without trades, I think it goes down like this:

Spurs Wemby
Hornets: Scoot
Blazers: Miller
Rockets: Amen
Pistons: Whitmore or Hendricks
Magic: Ausar, Hendricks, or Whitmore
Pacers: Hendricks or Walker
Wizards: Black
Jazz: Cason Wallace
Mavs: Probably have Jarace Walker here - Liveley or Bobi are too much of a reach and not ready. Maybe Ausar falls here, but I doubt it.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Bertans is at $17MM a year for 2 more??? I knew it was a lot, but dang.
M.C. Swag
AG
His last year is only $5m guaranteed. He's basically an expiring at this point, so it's not too bad.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Spurs Wemby
Mavs: Probably have Jarace Walker here - Liveley or Bobi are too much of a reach and not ready. Maybe Ausar falls here, but I doubt it.

Maybe it's just talking season and a bunch of noise, but I am getting a feeling that Ausar and Hendricks are big losers after front office just watched Jaylen Brown lose the Celtics a lot of games because he can't dribble. Any player sliding because of an inability to dribble is a win for the mavs.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Spurs Wemby

Also I doubt the Mavs make the pick for themselves if it isn't Ausar, Hendricks, or Walker.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

His last year is only $5m guaranteed. He's basically an expiring at this point, so it's not too bad.
When you cut a player you have the option to stretch their remaining guaranteed salary over the number of years left times two, plus one. So if you cut Bertans this year, it is 17+5mm left, but you could stretch that 22mm over 5 seasons (2*2+1) for a 4.4 cap hit per year over five years. If you cut him next year, it is 5mm stretched over 3 years. So 1.67/year.
M.C. Swag
AG
It's totally overblown. Jaylen isn't worth the super max but people are acting like he's a scrub now. Plus Hendricks is 6'9. He's the ideal modern NBA role player. Every team in the league would kill for a guy like that.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spurs Wemby

Maybe it's just talking season and a bunch of noise, but I am getting a feeling that Ausar and Hendricks are big losers after front office just watched Jaylen Brown lose the Celtics a lot of games because he can't dribble. Any player sliding because of an inability to dribble is a win for the mavs.
Ausar actually had more APG than his PG brother. If you already have Luka and Kyrie, you are probably less worried about his dribbling.

When your point guards are Derek White and Marcus Smart, you gotta worry a lot more about it.

Put Jaylen Brown with Dame or Luka and the story is different.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol yes i know, my buddy Scott detailed all of that in his latest article at Mavs Moneyball (here).

But I wasn't talking about that. I was just saying his last year is minimally guaranteed.
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

It's totally overblown. Jaylen isn't worth the super max but people are acting like he's a scrub now. Plus Hendricks is 6'9. He's the ideal modern NBA role player. Every team in the league would kill for a guy like that.

I agree with your point about Jaylen, specifically, but you have to wonder if the stuff about dribbling has front offices worried about upside with the draft guys.

Mavs don't have to worry about Hendricks or Ausar developing a dribble because they won't be asking them to do that. That may not be the case with other teams drafting so highly.

It's probably a bunch of nothing, but I can hope, can't I?
M.C. Swag
AG
I will do backflips if we get Hendricks
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I will do backflips if we get Hendricks

I'll help.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Spurs Wemby

Interested in your thoughts on a couple of guys you mentioned.

The Bobi stuff can't be real can it? I'm always skeptical of guys like that. Didn't he come off the bench in college and average like 5 points a game on not particularly efficient shooting? I'm out on Bobi.

Also the Jazz: I have been wondering what makes people think they would reach for Wallace or Dick when either Hendricks or Walker could be there. Can you explain that to me?
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spurs Wemby

Interested in your thoughts on a couple of guys you mentioned.

The Bobi stuff can't be real can it? I'm always skeptical of guys like that. Didn't he come off the bench in college and average like 5 points a game on not particularly efficient shooting? I'm out on Bobi.

Also the Jazz: I have been wondering what makes people think they would reach for Wallace or Dick when either Hendricks or Walker could be there. Can you explain that to me?
I think people are saying Dick because Utah loves Dick and white guys. But I don't think he is the pick there.

The Jazz have Kessler at C and Lauri at PF, then Sexton, who is an undersized SG. Those three are basically the foundation of their rebuilding team, along with a dozen firsts. So I think that a PG like Wallace that can guard bigger guys next to Sexton makes sense. They can bring back Clarkson, who is better as a SG or undersized SF than a PG.

I have no idea why people are all over Bobi Klintman. I think it is mainly the hope that he could defend perimeter and interior in the NBA, making an ideal switch defense guy.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009
AG
Why is LeBron fatter than Draymond in that?? It looks like he showed up to training camp after tanking beers all summer.
shack009
AG
It is a very real possibility the Mavs trade down and end up with a pick somewhere between 16 and 24. I would be pretty disappointed with picking Bobi. Would much rather have Rupert, Bilal, or Leonard Miller in that range.
jograki
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Hahaha noooo.
Guitarsoup
AG

Great headline
zgolfz85
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Great headline
ha, that has to be on purpose

also, just say no to dick...this one and in general
PatAg
AG
I'd be in favor of no lebron and also moving kyrie
Guitarsoup
AG
PatAg said:

I'd be in favor of no lebron and also moving kyrie
Kyrie is a FA, so moving him would have to be a S&T, so you don't get much back.
Guitarsoup
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.