***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

144,758 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by M.C. Swag
TexasAggiesWin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
LFG

mavsfan4ever
AG
Worth a shot I guess. I'm just very confused as to why we had to give up subsidies and dfs. Would have thought we could have subbed one of them for Bertans or hardaway considering the nets had no leverage. And I hate that it's the /029 pick instead of the 2027 pick.
txagman1998
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
PatAg
AG
Real question for me is, what players might be available this summer if we opt to not re-sign Kyrie?
NoahAg
PatAg said:

Real question for me is, what players might be available this summer if we opt to not re-sign Kyrie?

Kristaps
Harden
Let's go, Brandon!
BallerStaf2003
AG
I f Dallas signed him to two years or more with an extension, I'd be concerned. But this just makes it a wild experiment for the year and he probably doesn't want to stay in Dallas anyways. So it's a salary dump of 35 million a year with guys who were mid on a roster full of mid players. The team is the worst in the league without DONCIC.
Guitarsoup
AG
NoahAg said:

PatAg said:

Kristaps
Harden
This year's free agency is awful.

Mavs under contract:
Doncic: 40mm
Hardaway 18mm
Bertans 17mm (can be waived and stretched to count 4.4mm per year for 5 years)
Maxi 11mm
Bullock 11mm (5.5mm guaranteed)
JaVale 5.7mm
Green 4.8mm
Hardy 1.8
-------------------------------_
Waive Bertans(5y at 4.4mm/y) and Bullock (3y at 1.8mm/y) and renounce all FAs:

87.5mm for 6 players. Plus 900k empty slot charge * 6 roster spots.

92.9mm

Expected cap: 134mm
41.1 maximum cap space

To get that, you have to waive all free agents:
Christian Wood
Kyrie Irving
Dwight Powell
Morris

So not super likely to use that space. More likely to work out a sign and trade with one or more of those guys bird rights.

0-6y player has a max of 34mm, 7-9y at 41mm, 10+y at 47mm

Free agents:
Westbrick
Kyrie
Wood
Middleton (player option)
Harden (player option)
Kristaps (player option)
DAngelo Russell
Nicola Vuvicic
Draymond (player option)
Fred VanVleet
Harrison Barnes
Jeremi Grant
Caris Lavert
Gary Trent
Will Barton
Brooke Lopez
Kelly Oubre
Danny Green
Jae Crowder
Nerlens
Dipo
Seth Curry
Lonnie Walker
Rui
Cam Reddish
Thybulle
Igodala
JaMychel Green
Naz Reid

Better option is to keep Kyrie, Wood, and maybe Powell depending on price, waiving at least Bertans, using the MLE on a guy to shore up the front court. Personally, I really like the potential of a guy like Naz Reid, and not sure that Minn can afford to keep him with Gobert, KAT, McDaniels, and Kyle Anderson taking up the majority of their cap.
PatAg
AG
I thought you were a Spurs fan?
Guitarsoup
AG
PatAg said:

I thought you were a Spurs fan?
I guess that prevents me from looking at the cap position of the Mavericks.
JW
AG
awesome news. let's go!
The Shank Ag
Guitarsoup said:

NoahAg said:

PatAg said:

Kristaps
Harden

Free agents:
Middleton (player option) If Possible
Fred VanVleet-yes
Brooke Lopez- yes if at a decent price
Seth Curry- Yes
Cam Reddish- Yes
Thybulle- Yes

M.C. Swag
AG
In a vacuum, i hate this trade. Literally every team that has had Kyrie, was happier when he left. He had a great situation in Boston and blew it up. He literally HAND PICKED his teammates and coach in Brooklyn, and blew it up. Kyrie is a cancer that will eventually become terminal. I don't care if he was free, I wouldn't want him on my team.

Having said that, I am excited for a couple things;

1) Josh Green just got his opportunity to show what he has. Sink or swim, he is now the heart and soul of the Mavs defense.

2) LOL @ Lebron

3) The actual on-court fit between Luka and Kyrie will be must watch TV. Neither player can be guarded straight up but you also can't double both. Kyrie can score from every level and can do it off ball or on. This might be the most talented backcourt in the NBA.

I don't think the Mavs are done. Trading the 2029 pick tells me they're already allocating '25 and '27 for something else. Wood as a 3rd option makes sense, but his weakness as a rim protector does not. If I was to make a guess, I would predict that Wood plus the 2 remaining picks get moved for someone. Pascal Siakam? (Ideal dream) Jared Vanderbilt? Naz Reid? Jakob Poetl? These are all attainable guys that would be better fits next to Luka+Kyrie than Wood.

But whoever it is, I'm confident Nico and Cuban aren't done. And they better get this right because if Luka ever demands a trade, today will be the day we point to as the catalyst that started it.

Hope everyone has their 3rd eye open. Things are about to get weird.
zgolfz85
AG
M.C. Swag said:

In a vacuum, i hate this trade. Literally every team that has had Kyrie, was happier when he left. He had a great situation in Boston and blew it up. He literally HAND PICKED his teammates and coach in Brooklyn, and blew it up. Kyrie is a cancer that will eventually become terminal. I don't care if he was free, I wouldn't want him on my team.

1) Josh Green just got his opportunity to show what he has. Sink or swim, he is now the heart and soul of the Mavs defense.

2) LOL @ Lebron

3) The actual on-court fit between Luka and Kyrie will be must watch TV. Neither player can be guarded straight up but you also can't double both. Kyrie can score from every level and can do it off ball or on. This might be the most talented backcourt in the NBA.

I don't think the Mavs are done. Trading the 2029 pick tells me they're already allocating '25 and '27 for something else. Wood as a 3rd option makes sense, but his weakness as a rim protector does not. If I was to make a guess, I would predict that Wood plus the 2 remaining picks get moved for someone. Pascal Siakam? (Ideal dream) Jared Vanderbilt? Naz Reid? Jakob Poetl? These are all attainable guys that would be better fits next to Luka+Kyrie than Wood.

But whoever it is, I'm confident Nico and Cuban aren't done. And they better get this right because if Luka ever demands a trade, today will be the day we point to as the catalyst that started it.

Is that last part a butthole reference?
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol no it's a joke about Kyrie and his "enlightened" thinking.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_eye
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

2) LOL @ Lebron

I think Pascal is the most talented guy there, but he isn't a great rim protector guy you want guarding Jokic. Poetl is the guy you would want as a rim protector and he's a pretty good passer,too. Spurs are asking for two firsts for him and I don't think Dallas would give away Wood, too. But Powell and the firsts would work. Both Powell and Jakob are FAs.

Poeltl/JaVale
Wood/Maxi/Bertans
Bullock/Hardaway
Kyrie/Green
Luka/Kyrie

Ideally, you get another D&3 swingman in the trade. Spurs also have Josh Richardson, who would fit, but no way the Spurs take back Hardaway or Bertans.

I think that's a really solid team.

A better trade may be Naz Reid and McDaniels, but not sure the Pups will do that and both are less proven. They have a lot of tough decisions with $90mm next year tied up in KAT/Gobert/Edwards plus have Reid and DLo as FAs.

Vanderbilt would be a good pickup, but I think he gets pushed around by the bigger centers Mavs will face in the playoffs.
Guitarsoup
AG
Shams said Phoenix offered Chris Paul, Jae Crowder and a 1st and Brooklyn turned it down.

Lakers offered two firsts and Westbrook, but the Nets wanted more to take back Westbrook.
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

2) LOL @ Lebron

I think Pascal is the most talented guy there, but he isn't a great rim protector guy you want guarding Jokic. Poetl is the guy you would want as a rim protector and he's a pretty good passer,too. Spurs are asking for two firsts for him and I don't think Dallas would give away Wood, too. But Powell and the firsts would work. Both Powell and Jakob are FAs.

Poeltl/JaVale
Wood/Maxi/Bertans
Bullock/Hardaway
Kyrie/Green
Luka/Kyrie

Ideally, you get another D&3 swingman in the trade. Spurs also have Josh Richardson, who would fit, but no way the Spurs take back Hardaway or Bertans.

A better trade may be Naz Reid and McDaniels, but not sure the Pups will do that and both are less proven. They have a lot of tough decisions with $90mm next year tied up in KAT/Gobert/Edwards plus have Reid and DLo as FAs.

Vanderbilt would be a good pickup, but I think he gets pushed around by the bigger centers Mavs will face in the playoffs.

Pascal isn't a rim protector but he'd be the best defender the mavs will have had in a decade. Their entire defensive philosophy hinges on switch ability. Drop coverage with a big doesn't work in the playoffs and the Mavs know it. They would much rather give up rim protection for versatile bigs. Poetl wouldn't fit that philosophy but is available. Only reason I put him on there. And let's be honest, no big is guarding Jokic.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

2) LOL @ Lebron

Poeltl/JaVale
Wood/Maxi/Bertans
Bullock/Hardaway
Kyrie/Green
Luka/Kyrie

Pascal isn't a rim protector but he'd be the best defender the mavs will have had in a decade. Their entire defensive philosophy hinges on switch ability. Drop coverage with a big doesn't work in the playoffs and the Mavs know it. They would much rather give up rim protection for versatile bigs. Poetl wouldn't fit that philosophy but is available. Only reason I put him on there. And let's be honest, no big is guarding Jokic.
Yeah, Jokic is always going to get his. But you still need to have some sort of body to put on him. Memphis has Adams and JJJ. Sacramento has Sabonis. Suns have Ayton. Wolves have Gobert/KAT, theoretically. Kessler looks like someone that will have to be reckoned with in the future.

Other than Poeltl and Reid, I don't know that many teams are shopping paint clogging centers.
Iowaggie
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Shams said Phoenix offered Chris Paul, Jae Crowder and a 1st and Brooklyn turned it down.

Lakers offered two firsts and Westbrook, but the Nets wanted more to take back Westbrook.

This should really help the Suns already shaky chemistry.
Nobody likes to be mentioned in trade rumors.
Oh Four Five
AG
I'm pretty sure the Mavs can't trade their 2025 first until after the draft lottery and this year's pick is officially conveyed to the Knicks.
M.C. Swag
AG
DL04 said:

I'm pretty sure the Mavs can't trade their 2025 first until after the draft lottery and this year's pick is officially conveyed to the Knicks.

They can lift the protections on the pick and trade it tomorrow. Might as well lean into the Kyrie rental aspect and go all in.
Grapesoda2525
Guitarsoup said:

2 firsts and Westbrook? That offer is pitiful.
jeffdjohnson
I wouldn't lift protections on this year's pick just to trade 2025. This situation is way too tenuous. Kyrie/Luka/Wood is a very dangerous offensive engine, but this team has serious questions defensively. Can the Mavs get two positive defenders in between them and open a championship window this year? 1 slot can go to Josh Green/Bullock on the wing. But how do they fix their rebounding and rim protection issues? Can Maxi come back healthy? Right now, yeah I'm shopping the 2027 pick since the Mavs no longer have any reason to save up for a 4 FRP + 3 Swaps mega-trade. But I'm holding the 2025 pick.

This is a crazy trade, but I understand why the Mavs would try. On balance, getting an All-Star starter for only 1 future first-rounder is a steal. But there is also a reason why you only had to give up a single first. I'm going to miss DFS, but I think the Mavs were selling high on him and Dinwiddie. Still, I don't think I would have pulled the trigger on this one, but then again my "solution" was to tank down to 13th in the West and collect an 8% chance for Wembayana. This will be more interesting (fun?) no doubt.
MW03
AG
I feel like it's easier to get your hands on hustle and defense guys compared to scorers. The Mavs problem was that they needed a hustle defender that could score in buckets. That dude is impossible to find. Now they have options in the market because they don't need someone who can come in and contribute 15 points a game.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Exactly, value can be found in the hustle and defend profile, and if they can do that well, you have yourself a legit title contender. There may be another trade coming with Wood and other pieces shortly. Either way, they are going to get a partial season experiment to see how this all works, then an option to do anything from tweak to blow it up this summer. My guess is their ideal scenario is to get Kyrie on a 2 year extension and see how well they can make that work
PatAg
AG
My only hang up all along was the potential locker room issues with Kyrie.
THe basketball aspect should have no reservations, imo.

having to read/listen to the national media is always a beating, but its going to be even worse this week.
The ringer must just hire anyone with a pulse nowadays.
zgolfz85
AG
agreed, with luka, wood and kyrie, scoring is shored up. the 3 and D guys are much easier to get vs 20 pt a night avg guys
J.P. 03
AG
I don't know why, but hearing the guys on The Ticket refer to the 2029 first-rounder as "a current 8th grader" has been cracking me up.
Ol Jock 99
AG
J.P. 03 said:

I don't know why, but hearing the guys on The Ticket refer to the 2029 first-rounder as "a current 8th grader" has been cracking me up.
Yep
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

having to read/listen to the national media is always a beating, but its going to be even worse this week.

Kyrie has clearly had his share of off-court issues, but they would be much more in the background of the national sports media conversation if he was going to LA to join LeBron and AD.
txagman1998
AG
petebaker

petebaker

petebaker

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.