***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

137,037 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by M.C. Swag
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go out and get guys that can shoot the 3 at a high rate, and play defense.
Personally, I would also like to not have Kyrie on the team but I think we may be stuck with him.
Grapesoda2525
I like the draft. We needed an infusion of young talent and that's what we got.

Sick of all the years we drafted some guy in Europe who nobody has ever heard of and we never see him play in the NBA.
Grapesoda2525
PatAg said:

Personally, I would also like to not have Kyrie on the team but I think we may be stuck with him.
Invested too much into Kyrie to not sign him.
shack009
AG
PatAg said:

Oh no, we're stuck with one of the 5-10 best offensive players in the league.

People need to get over their personal disdain for Kyrie. CoVID ended 3 years ago.
shack009
AG
Legal Custodian
AG
Just listened to OMax's interview on the ticket. That guy is awesome, so like-able. He's gonna be a fan favorite pretty quick
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009
AG
Came here to post this. Love it.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs did the same thing with some Jabroni sip
shack009
AG
Saw that. Solid fit.
M.C. Swag
AG
What a night.

I was so so so mad that we drafted Lively at 12 when we coulda had Wallace or perhaps traded back even further to collect more assets but Nico...Nico cooked last night.

Turning 10+Bertans into: 12, 24, + Holmes is the type of draft night creativity this FO hasn't had in a LONG time.

Lively won't be able to meaningfully contribute to the roster for at least 2 years. He's too raw and too skinny and will basically foul out if asked to play more than 15-20 min/game. He needs to get better at screen setting and free throws and hopefully develops some sort of nose for rebounding. That will take time.

HOWEVER....getting OMax was the real deal. A junior out of Marquette who improved every season in college with an insane 6'8 frame w/ 7'1 wingspan and was probably the top 1 or 2 winners of the draft combine. He will be a day 1 contributor. My buddy is credentialed and went to the draft and tipped me off the Mavs were trading up to get him specifically because they LOVED this dude. Intelligent, high motor, huge physical tools....just checked all the boxes for what the Mavs need on and off the court. I can't rave enough about this guy.

As for a bonus: The same guy told me the Mavs aren't done and are likely moving Holmes for a bigger trade.

Way to go Nico.
shack009
AG
Setting the expectations low for Lively. I like it.
shack009
AG
On February 4th, against a UNC front line of Armando Bacot, Leaky Black, and Pete Nance, Lively had 14 rebounds (5 offensive), 4 points on 2-3 shooting (0-1 from 3), 2 assists, 8 blocks, and only 2 PF in 34 minutes.

Get excited about that guy.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol I can't get excited for Lively.

"Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane"

^Lively is the type of player that stupid sports quotes was built on. He's afraid of the ball/attacking the rim, can't rebound, and no matter how many open gym mix tapes he releases, he can't shoot. We used the 12th pick on a guy who MAYBE could contribute towards the end of his rookie deal.
shack009
AG
Fair enough. I don't expect him to have a big role this year. Maybe 10-15 minutes, but I am hopeful those minutes can be impactful and he can possibly play his way to more minutes.

What do you expect the big move to be? A starting caliber center or a starting wing?
M.C. Swag
AG
shack009 said:

Fair enough. I don't expect him to have a big role this year. Maybe 10-15 minutes, but I am hopeful those minutes can be impactful and he can possibly play his way to more minutes.

What do you expect the big move to be? A starting caliber center or a starting wing?

You wanna know my super secret answer…I think we're getting Ayton.
shack009
AG
Haha that would be nuts. I just don't see that one happening since his value has cratered and I don't see the Suns giving the Mavs, a semi-rival, a solid player for pennies on the dollar. And I'd hate for the Mavs to give up too much for him. Speaking of looks like Tarzan plays like Jane…

I was thinking something with Atlanta still, like Capela and/or Hunter.
shack009
AG
I also don't see where Oscar Tshiebwe has signed with anybody yet.
J.P. 03
AG
The Ticket guys said this morning they heard/read that Atlanta wanted either Hardy or Green last night when that trade down from 10 to 15 was being discussed involving Capela, and if they don't budge off that price, I'm okay passing unless they take another bad contract off our hands (assuming it would be one of those players + a future first now that the draft is over).

…also, now that I've said that, I've probably doomed both Hardy and Green's careers to mediocrity. Sorry in advance
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

shack009 said:

You wanna know my super secret answer…I think we're getting Ayton.

What kind of deal? Holmes, Bullock, Lively?

That leaves Dallas with:

Ayton /JaVale
Maxi
Green/OMax
Kyrie/Hardy
Luka

But probably the TPMLE rather than full.
Zachary Klement
AG
Love the way last night played out. Surprised by how cheap we got Richaun Holmes and how little it cost to get off the Latvian Laser's contract.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Bob is my leader.

M.C. Swag
AG
Lol He's a very specific role player. Mavs obviously can't add another C.
shack009
AG
Well if Holmes is leaving in a trade and maybe Javale is part of that… What if the trade is for a wing? This team still needs plenty of frontcourt help.
M.C. Swag
AG
The trade is just a possibility, not a locked thing. They're very close to opening the full MLE, which should easily net them a contributing Wing defender (whether it's McDaniels or Thybulle or Grant Williams). The mastery of the Mavs moves last night is that they have real options now even if they don't execute a trade with the Holmes contract.
shack009
AG
This front office did prove they know what they're doing, which means Thybulle won't be on this team next year.
PatAg
AG
shack009 said:

PatAg said:

Oh no, we're stuck with one of the 5-10 best offensive players in the league.

People need to get over their personal disdain for Kyrie. CoVID ended 3 years ago.

Weird that you think it has anything to do that. Just had to do with his track record, he himself is a very good basketball player.
PatAg
AG
Seen rumors of us potentially looking to acquire Miles Turner. that's interesting
zgolfz85
AG
PatAg said:

Seen rumors of us potentially looking to acquire Miles Turner. that's interesting
only in my dreams....if I hear miles turner again without landing him, put me on suicide watch
Guitarsoup
AG
PatAg said:

I think Indiana just took Jarace Walker to pair with Turner. Not sure why they would try to move him now.
shack009
AG
What would the package be for Turner? Holmes, Javale, Bullock, and a 2030 first? That still doesn't feel like enough, but who knows.
awrollins
M.C. Swag said:

What a night.

I was so so so mad that we drafted Lively at 12 when we coulda had Wallace or perhaps traded back even further to collect more assets but Nico...Nico cooked last night.

Turning 10+Bertans into: 12, 24, + Holmes is the type of draft night creativity this FO hasn't had in a LONG time.

Lively won't be able to meaningfully contribute to the roster for at least 2 years. He's too raw and too skinny and will basically foul out if asked to play more than 15-20 min/game. He needs to get better at screen setting and free throws and hopefully develops some sort of nose for rebounding. That will take time.

HOWEVER....getting OMax was the real deal. A junior out of Marquette who improved every season in college with an insane 6'8 frame w/ 7'1 wingspan and was probably the top 1 or 2 winners of the draft combine. He will be a day 1 contributor. My buddy is credentialed and went to the draft and tipped me off the Mavs were trading up to get him specifically because they LOVED this dude. Intelligent, high motor, huge physical tools....just checked all the boxes for what the Mavs need on and off the court. I can't rave enough about this guy.

As for a bonus: The same guy told me the Mavs aren't done and are likely moving Holmes for a bigger trade.

Way to go Nico.

Love you M.C. We went through draft hell 3 years ago when Boston traded to 30 to snatch Desmond Bane from us.

But gonna have to disagree with you on Lively. Kid can defend the paint with the best of them. He can rebound, just didn't as much as you would expect at Duke because of Filipowski. I also believe he has the potential to be adequate enough defensively on the perimeter to be impactful.

Yes, he's not going to score, but we don't need him to. His job should be strictly alley-oops and putbacks, both of which he's good at (catch radius is massive). Developing a 3 ball would be a cherry on top.

I think he can anchor us in the middle at least starting year two of his rookie contract. Overall, whether you like Lively or not, last night was a massive success and I love what Nico did.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

What would the package be for Turner? Holmes, Javale, Bullock, and a 2030 first? That still doesn't feel like enough, but who knows.
Turner has so much more value than that. I just don't see a path there for Dallas. Indiana would have to really want Lively next to Walker. Lively, Holmes, Bullock, 2030 first and one of the young wings, maybe. Turner put up 18/8 with >2 blocks in <30 minutes, he just turned 27 and has 3pt range.
Guitarsoup
AG
On the BS podcast today:

Simmons clearly had no clue who Lively was or what his game was like.

KOC seemed to think he could play right away because his rim protection is that good, but on offense, he is only giving you putbacks and lobs, which should be easy for Kyrie/Luka to set up.

Simmons said that Boston traded back on #25 because they wanted OMax Prosper and Dallas stole him and that they love OMax.

He then went on to trash the culture of the Rockets for about 10 minutes and said that Ausar going to Detroit and Amen going to Houston is one of those mad scientist twin experiments where you put one twin in a great situation and one in an awful one and see what happens. Ausar gets to play with Duren, Cade, Ivey, and Bogdan while Amen is on a team of players that all try to be the one to bring the ball across half court so they can run an ISO for themselves and take a bad shot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.