***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

144,757 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by M.C. Swag
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Did this consistently last year. Got up on good teams and then started doing dumb stuff. Turnovers. Getting cute. And then lost.
nah

Here it goes.
gigem1223
No answer for Ayton
gigem1223
Why is Maxi in the game and not Wood?
PatAg
AG
Anyone with the app have it error multiple times during the game?
PatAg
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

PatAg said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Did this consistently last year. Got up on good teams and then started doing dumb stuff. Turnovers. Getting cute. And then lost.
nah

Here it goes.

It's the first game, grow a sack
jtstanley4621
AG
Watching the ESPN broadcast and the amount of excitement these announcers have had for the Suns versus the Mavs is pretty hilarious

Just gotta say I hate Booker's face
gigem1223
You kidding me with that ugly ass ****…. And it goes in.
jtstanley4621
AG
Did I miss that we didn't have a timeout left? Felt like Luka was too aggressive taking that back out immediately

Whatever. Just one game. Biggest takeaway to me is that Wood looks like he could be a really deadly piece for us.
txagman1998
AG
Mavs were out of timeouts.
fightinags2013
AG
SMH. Damion Lee
True Anomaly
AG
At least we didn't do the gag of playing our entire team during the 1st game like we did last year
aggiewalters
mavsfan4ever
AG
Man, what a tough loss. Damion Lee doesn't hit half the shots he did in the 4th on a normal night.

Wood looked great. Really good. Even in the first half. But I'm afraid that not having Brunson is gonna be a killer in the 4th quarter when we need another ball handler/playmaker. Hope I'm wrong but I expect us to give up some leads in the 4th this year.

I love Luka but it aggravates the hell out of me that he settles for 30 ft step back 3s 90+% of the time he takes a game winning or game tying shot. He had 8-9 seconds. There is no reason to have to settle for that.
jeffdjohnson
Tough loss, but I'm pretty bullish on this team. They outplayed PHX during the flow of the game but lost it at the free-throw stripe. You can't miss 13 free throws and give away a technical as Luka did. Also, Wood was 7th in minutes played with 24 total. That is a choice and it's the wrong one. He needs to be logging 30, just too good of an offensive player.
M.C. Swag
AG
Ya this was a tough loss. 13 missed free throws. Wood scored 16 straight points and then was inexplicably benched until the last 2 min of the game. Luka took TEN 3pt shots and only made 2.

Just so many frustrating self made errors from the players and coach. Josh Green being a +18 is hilarious though.
PatAg
AG
New players on the team, young players evolving, important player missing from last year. Gonna take a bit to figure out rotations, who works well together, and all that.
ChoppinDs40
AG
THJ is awful. Really looking forward to replacing his ~$18mm/year with someone else.
MW03
AG
Watching the game, the ending felt predictable. I'm not that upset at the blown lead for whatever reason. I really liked what I saw out of both Wood and McGee. I also liked Luka going 13-13 from the stripe.

The fact that Powell didn't sniff the court is extremely interesting. That's a dude that logged 1800 minutes last season and played in all 82 reg season games.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Agreed on Powell. I'm surprised they kept him around this offseason. I forget what he makes, like $8mm or something? I figured we'd use his roster spot and minutes elsewhere.

I think vs. PHX, the swing guard/wings line-up and a single big is the route to go (Wood or Magee on Ayton). Have to keep DFS, Bullock, Kleber on their scorers.

Although, Ayton started to eat our lunch at the end, would've figured Powell could have helped there.

We're deep and still relatively young... just need to find what lineup works best.

Wood's performance may be an anomaly for the year, we'll see. However, watching a big man being able to bring the ball down the court, make his own shot and play some D was refreshing (this is EXACTLY what we brought Porzingis in to do...). His missed from the stripe were killer as we would have continued to extend the lead when he dropped them.

I'm hopeful it's rust getting knocked off but THJ is bad.. just bad. Liability on D, turns the ball over and throws up uncontested 3pt bricks. Dinwiddie getting his 4th right off the bat in the 3rd quarter hurt bad. We played a real poor 3Q. He was a real problem for PHX off the bench.

Like all PHX games (going back to last season), the refs would find ways to call 3 super quick fouls on us vs them... as in every time Booker or Paul brought the ball down. They're still a team full of little *****es.
MW03
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Agreed on Powell. I'm surprised they kept him around this offseason. I forget what he makes, like $8mm or something? I figured we'd use his roster spot and minutes elsewhere.

I think it's $11MM and expiring, so he's probably still on the team for trade purposes in case anyone is selling in a couple of months. Otherwise, I don't really see how he fits in the rotation with Wood and McGee on the team.

Quote:

I'm hopeful it's rust getting knocked off but THJ is bad.. just bad. Liability on D, turns the ball over and throws up uncontested 3pt bricks.

I'll give him some leeway because he hasn't played in a real game in like 10 months, but yeah, calling that rust is being polite. He kind of gives me fits anyway as streaky as he can be (in both ways), but we need his scoring. Badly.

ChoppinDs40
AG
Big W. Wood went 25/12 and 50% from the field. I like that.
jtstanley4621
AG
Wood looks pretty awesome so far. He and Luka could be a very deadly combo if they continue to build chemistry
PatAg
AG

100000% a pass
M.C. Swag
AG
What an opener! Lol Luka absolutely baptized the Grizz rookie, David Roddy. I don't know what the Memphis game plan was, but having a rookie and Morant be the primary defenders on Luka was certainly a choice.

Christian Wood has been amazing so far. Truly a perfect fit next to Luka. Their 2 man game is gonna generate so many absurd highlights. But the thing I like the most about Woods game;

- His ability to draw fouls. For a big man, he plays like a guard and has that type of body control to bait contact, absorb it, and finish the play.

- His passing. I'm shocked, not only on his willingness to pass (based on reputation) but the actually quality of passes. At some point in the 3rd quarter, Wood was sizing up his defender at the top of the key, manipulated the help defender just enough to make a sliver of room, and Wood hit Maxi right underneath the rim. Maxi wasn't able to finish the play, but it was the type of pass a PG would make.

Random note; Kidd didn't use a single timeout in the first half.
aggiewalters
After last night's performance, I am confident that the Mavericks will do great this season. CWood and McGee are great additions to the team and give us a great shot at a ring. So exciting.
M.C. Swag
AG
I'll agree with you that Wood was a great addition lol
Iowaggie
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Wood looks pretty awesome so far. He and Luka could be a very deadly combo if they continue to build chemistry

Wood looks to be a strong candidate for 6th MOY. Of course, him being inserted into the starting lineup would somewhat kill that.
jtstanley4621
AG
It's funny how he doesn't start but plays more minutes than McGee. Tbh I don't really care who takes the floor to start the game. Minutes matter much more
jtstanley4621
AG
Pelicans have a ton of starters out tonight but shot over 70 percent in that first quarter... Pretty surprised they're only leading by 9. Doubt they shoot that well the rest of the way. Will be an interesting game tonight
Zachary Klement
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Pelicans have a ton of starters out tonight but shot over 70 percent in that first quarter... Pretty surprised they're only leading by 9. Doubt they shoot that well the rest of the way. Will be an interesting game tonight
They are going to contend to win the west this year, but without Zion and BI we gotta win.
Carlo4
AG
Is Luka ever going to effing learn to stop whining?

82-79. Luka hit a great shot but thought he was fouled. Just did a two second whine fest to the referee. Trey Murphy III runs ahead and get the ball at the 3 pt line. Guarded by Luka but too far away because of his talking.

85-79.

gigem1223
Bullock is ASS tonight.
AndersHolmvik
AG
Luka sat too long in the 4th
Carlo4
AG
Would be up 1 and game over now…
AndersHolmvik
AG
Tough L with CW going 8-10 and NO without their two stars. Feels like these games are going to matter in the west when it comes to seeding

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.