***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

137,055 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by M.C. Swag
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
shack009 said:

Milwaukee just acquired Crowder for 5 second rounders, so there goes that ship. I would not have been very thrilled if we got Crowder, so I'm ok with this.
Good pickup, especially with Khris hurt.
J.P. 03
AG
shack009 said:

Milwaukee just acquired Crowder for 5 second rounders, so there goes that ship. I would not have been very thrilled if we got Crowder, so I'm ok with this.

Wow. I was hoping he'd be a buyout candidate, but as someone mentioned above, I'm not interested in paying full price to trade for him, and I'm DEFINITELY not interested if the draft capital involved was 5 second rounders.
zgolfz85
AG
I really hope kryie works and is here for a few years. I do not want him to be a rental and leave us sweating another likely fruitless FA period

now seeing kyrie may have interest to suns in off-season to reunite with kd. WTFFFFFFFFF
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

I'm not sure how much this raises their ceiling. Crowder was pretty poor last year in the playoffs. This doesn't make me think they are better than Boston.
hph6203
AG
Phoenix won't have the cap space to provide Kyrie with the contract he's looking for. Wouldn't worry about Kyrie to Phoenix.
zgolfz85
AG
hph6203 said:

Phoenix won't have the cap space to provide Kyrie with the contract he's looking for. Wouldn't worry about Kyrie to Phoenix.
not now, but they can ship out cp3 and others....they wouldn't have much cushion role player-wise, but would be a super team starting lineup
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

I'm not sure how much this raises their ceiling. Crowder was pretty poor last year in the playoffs. This doesn't make me think they are better than Boston.
He hasn't played at all this year, which is either great because he is fresh or awful because he's been eating like I do and playing Fortnight or whatever the kids play.

In the 20 and 21 playoffs (Miami and Phoenix), he gave 11/6 with 41/36 shooting and he can guard wings and posts. He plays defense much more physically than most, which can frustrate scorers. Grayson is a solid defender, but a little small to man up on Tatum and Brown. Now Milwaukee has Giannis, Khris, and Jae to match up on Brown/Tatum and Jrue/Allen to work on Brogdon/Smart.

I also think if you are looking at Philly, you want a stronger wing like Jae to match up on Harden, and Jae has 100+ playoff games of experience under his belt. Harden won't be able to out muscle Crowder like he would with Grayson Allen or Jrue. And he sure won't be able to post him up as easily.

Gotta think Bos/Mil/Philly are the only possible teams coming out of the East now.
J.P. 03
AG
hph6203 said:

Will this be the first summer you've ever followed the Mavs' free agency efforts?
shack009
AG
Three way deal between Portland, Philadelphia, and Charlotte in which Philly gets Jaden McDaniels, Portland gets Thybulle, and Hornets ge tmultile 2nd rounders.

Thybulle and McDaniels had at least been peripherally linked to possible Dallas deals. I was not keen on getting Thybulle but McDaniels has a little something.
shack009
AG
Per ESPN at 12:07 CT: The Atlanta Hawks continue to try to find a home for John Collins, reports ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on "NBA Today." The Hawks had been talking with the Phoenix Suns, before the Suns pivoted to making a deal with the Brooklyn Nets for Kevin Durant.

The Mavs have been linked to John Collins since about 2003, so I wonder if we can get a deal done with them. Can someone who can work the trade machine see if we could do Wood, THJ, whoever else, and our remaining 1st round pick for Collins and Bogdonavic?
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

Per ESPN at 12:07 CT: The Atlanta Hawks continue to try to find a home for John Collins, reports ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on "NBA Today." The Hawks had been talking with the Phoenix Suns, before the Suns pivoted to making a deal with the Brooklyn Nets for Kevin Durant.

The Mavs have been linked to John Collins since about 2003, so I wonder if we can get a deal done with them. Can someone who can work the trade machine see if we could do Wood, THJ, whoever else, and our remaining 1st round pick for Collins and Bogdonavic?

Yes pls
shack009
AG
zgolfz85 said:

shack009 said:

Yes pls
That may be too one-sided in our favor haha. But Atlanta needs to look to recoup picks after the Dejounte trade and they may be in tank mode with their record and Toronto pushing their chips in this year.
shack009
AG
I would love for the Mavs to end up with either one of the Bogdanovic's. Detroit playing hardball with theirs, asking for a first. Not sure it is worth it and that is a high ask for a team that is already competing for the worst record in the league.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Collins has like 3y80mm left and doesn't play defense anymore than Wood.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

I know this is a talking point around him but I think it is a bit overstated. It's pretty hard to judge a guy's defensive rating when he is on the court with Trae Young most of the time. I think he tries and has the capability to play decent defense. Just looked it up and he was third on Atlanta last season in FiveThirtyEight's Defensive RAPTOR.

The worry with Collins this year is that his 3 point percentage is way down from his career average. He is at 26% this year and his career average is 36%. He was also around 40% in both seasons from 2019 to 2021.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Regarding the contract, the Mavs need to be acquiring guys who are locked up. For whatever reason, people don't choose to sign with the Mavs.
jeffdjohnson
I think Collins ****ed up his finger and can't shoot anymore. Not sure all the details there.

One name to watch is Patrick Beverly. He isn't going to play in Orlando, may be a buyout candidate. If they get him for free, that is a nice backup PG.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Regarding the contract, the Mavs need to be acquiring guys who are locked up. For whatever reason, people don't choose to sign with the Mavs.
Probably the locked door.

shack009
AG
Clippers do a deal to get Eric Gordon and Luke Kennard goes to Memphis. Kennard had also been somewhat linked to Dallas.

Clippers are also getting Bones Hyland from Denver in a separate deal. Surprising that Denver would be giving up rotation guys right now.
shack009
AG
Golden State sends Wiseman to Detroit. Apparently this is a 3-team deal where Atlanta is getting could-have-been Mav Saddiq Bey.

I wonder if this means Atlanta has reached a deal with somebody (hopefully us) to send away Bogy.
zgolfz85
AG
21 mins to go and nothing ......cmon front office
Goldie Wilson
What am I missing on that Bey for Wiseman deal? Don't see how that makes sense from Detroits perspective
shack009
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

What am I missing on that Bey for Wiseman deal? Don't see how that makes sense from Detroits perspective
I agree, I like Bey as a player. They are giving up a known commodity with an important skillset for a complete unknown at a position that does not have as much value anymore.

That team will be very theoretically talented next year with Cade, Ivey, Wiseman, and whoever they take in their top 4 pick.
shack009
AG
Charlotte and LAC swapping Reggie Jackson and Mason Plumlee. Again, Mavs had been peripherally linked to both.
Goldie Wilson
shack009 said:

Charlotte and LAC swapping Reggie Jackson and Mason Plumlee. Again, Mavs had been peripherally linked to both.
Glad we're out on both of those
MW03
AG

A very merry 5-second-round-pick day to us all!
shack009
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

shack009 said:

Glad we're out on both of those
Somewhat agree on Plumlee. Reggie Jackson would have been a part of a Wood/THJ deal that included someone like Covington or Batum. We do need someone like him to be the third ball handler off the bench. Hardy won't be that guy come playoffs.
shack009
AG
MW03 said:

A very merry 5-second-round-pick day to us all!
Warriors let him walk this past offseason only to give up 5 second rounders to get him back. He fits well there. I wanted Mavs to sign him this offseason.
zgolfz85
AG
pls announce OG or someone
shack009
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Toronto traded for Poetl. It looks like they are going for it this year.

I also don't think Mavs have enough. He would take multiple 1st rounders.
shack009
AG
I'm very surprised both THJ and Wood are on this team still. I'll be very interested to hear what the strategy was here.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Toronto traded for Poetl. It looks like they are going for it this year.

I also don't think Mavs have enough. He would take multiple 1st rounders.
was mostly joking...can't believe we didn't make some kind of move. hope we don't lose wood for nothing in the summer

at least pick up pat bev on the cheap right now
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

I'm very surprised both THJ and Wood are on this team still. I'll be very interested to hear what the strategy was here.
I feel like thj is our curse....not sure what we did to be diseased by his continual presence...

if we keep spencer or dfs and send off thj instead, I don't even care we didn't make a move today
shack009
AG
I fully expect Nico and the gang to tell us they like this team and they wanted to stand pat and go all-in with these offensive-heavy players. That we are now talking with Wood about a 2-3 year deal.

I will not believe them, and I will totally convince myself it was the right move.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

I fully expect Nico and the gang to tell us they like this team and they wanted to stand pat and go all-in with these offensive-heavy players. That we are now talking with Wood about a 2-3 year deal.

I will not believe them, and I will totally convince myself it was the right move.
I'm fine with that....that's what I wanted all along. I'd love to mix up combos of luka, kyrie and wood and always have 1 of those 3 on the floor....but, I don't think he'll do a 2 yr deal and feels like he'll feel "disrespected" and walk in a few months

I wanted to move thj, bertans and a 2nd or 2 to at least get another wing or defensive big

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.