***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

137,049 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by M.C. Swag
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cause Carlisle hates working with young players
Guitarsoup
AG
Marc Stein saying Atl wants to trade John Collins +15 for Bertans+10 and Dallas wants to force it to be Capela+15 for Bertans+10.
zgolfz85
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Marc Stein saying Atl wants to trade John Collins +15 for Bertans+10 and Dallas wants to force it to be Capela+15 for Bertans+10.

I'll take both + 15 for Bertans +10
Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Should probably make ATL throw in Murray and Young just to make it fair
zgolfz85
AG
Guitarsoup said:

zgolfz85 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Should probably make ATL throw in Murray and Young just to make it fair
zgolfz85
AG
Beal to suns….fml
Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Beal to suns….fml
Don't even care. They are blowing past the 2nd apron, so after their starting five, they only have vet mins to give unless they drop Ayton.

They will be in purgatory in a year or two. No future picks, broken ass KD and broken ass Beal (only played 90 games over last two years.)
zgolfz85
AG
Guitarsoup said:

zgolfz85 said:

Beal to suns….fml
Don't even care. They are blowing past the 2nd apron, so after their starting five, they only have vet mins to give unless they drop Ayton.

They will be in purgatory in a year or two. No future picks, broken ass KD and broken ass Beal (only played 90 games over last two years.)

Hope so
shack009
AG
Newest ESPN mock has us taking Lively at 10, though probably should read "Lively is the 10th pick."

Quote:

With draft night approaching, a large swath of the league has called the Mavericks about this pick, which is widely known to be available. Dallas continues to weigh its options in trading back, looking for the right opportunity to upgrade the roster while also preferring to stay in the draft and select a player they like later on. Lively is among the players in the mix if they keep it, along with Gradey Dick, and potentially Hendricks should he fall here. Lively has potential suitors right after this pick in Orlando and Oklahoma City, making him a trade target for other teams at this spot -- most notably Atlanta, which could aim to package the No. 15 pick with Clint Capela to move up and draft him. -- Woo
I would be pretty happy if neither Hendricks nor Walker were available and we turned #10 and Bertans (probably Javale also) in to #15 and Capela.

Picks 15 and 16 in this mock were Cason Wallace and Bilal Coulibaly. We add Capela and then have our pick of Cason and Coulibaly, that would be a solid draft night.

Plus M.C. Swag's guaranty of buying in to the 2nd round and picking Tshiebwe.
zgolfz85
AG
I'd be content with that, especially with Oscar
HawthornAggie
AG
Y'all have talked me into Hendricks and I will be disappointed if we draft anyone else
M.C. Swag
AG
shack009 said:

Newest ESPN mock has us taking Lively at 10, though probably should read "Lively is the 10th pick."

Quote:

With draft night approaching, a large swath of the league has called the Mavericks about this pick, which is widely known to be available. Dallas continues to weigh its options in trading back, looking for the right opportunity to upgrade the roster while also preferring to stay in the draft and select a player they like later on. Lively is among the players in the mix if they keep it, along with Gradey Dick, and potentially Hendricks should he fall here. Lively has potential suitors right after this pick in Orlando and Oklahoma City, making him a trade target for other teams at this spot -- most notably Atlanta, which could aim to package the No. 15 pick with Clint Capela to move up and draft him. -- Woo
I would be pretty happy if neither Hendricks nor Walker were available and we turned #10 and Bertans (probably Javale also) in to #15 and Capela.

Picks 15 and 16 in this mock were Cason Wallace and Bilal Coulibaly. We add Capela and then have our pick of Cason and Coulibaly, that would be a solid draft night.

I'd be pretty happy to make that trade and use 15 on Leonard Miller (I think Coulibaly and Cason would be gone) and instantly address our Wing and Interior defense.

I just pray to god we don't walk away from this draft with only Lively. It's bad roster management to invest a lotto pick on a C. They rarely guard the other teams best player, rarely are your best player, and rarely make other players better. Good bigs are useful but ultimately replaceable. We've just had such a prolonged stretch of bad bigs in Dallas that Mavs fans brains are broken when it comes to on court value a big actually brings. *Please don't draft Lively at 10*

Quote:

You know ball. Tshiebwe could play 15 min/gm in the NBA right now. He's llikely going to be an UDFA. Get him baby!
M.C. Swag
AG
Be prepared to be disappointed. I think he's gone before pick 8 and if not will 100% be picked at 9 by the Jazz or a team that trades up ahead of us.
shack009
AG
HawthornAggie said:

Y'all have talked me into Hendricks and I will be disappointed if we draft anyone else
This is where I was at in March, but he flew up boards and probably won't be there at 10. The real disappointment would be if he was there and we still traded the pick, though the return for trading the right to draft Hendricks would probably be substantial.
shack009
AG
I would be a fan of drafting Miller as well.

I look forward to the draft night meltdown when we select Lively at 10 then there is a 3 minute gap between the pick and the announcement that we traded the pick.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Quote:

Atl isn't giving you Capela, they are giving you Collins.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

I would be a fan of drafting Miller as well.

Best Miller in the draft.
shack009
AG
Supposedly, they offered Collins and 15. We said no and countered with Capela and 15, because apparently we are a smartly run team now.

It would be Capela because they want to take Lively at 10. It wouldn't make any sense to have Capela, Lively, and Okongwu all on the same team.
M.C. Swag
AG
thanks for your input Landry!
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Supposedly, they offered Collins and 15. We said no and countered with Capela and 15, because apparently we are a smartly run team now.

It would be Capela because they want to take Lively at 10. It wouldn't make any sense to have Capela, Lively, and Okongwu all on the same team.
We are talking about Atlanta, not a smartly run organization. They are a ****ing dumpster fire, but do know they are 4mm from the second apron before they make any move, and probably understand that Collins for Bertans takes 8mm off the luxury tax and Capela for Bertans takes 3mm
shack009
AG
A couple of prominent mocks have Whitmore slipping to 9. He is a late faller given some late risers and apparently he had some less than stellar workouts.

I doubt he makes it to 10, but it does give credence to the idea that one of these hood players could slip to 10 and the mavs could either cash in by upping the bidding or take a solid player at 10 who can play soon.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

A couple of prominent mocks have Whitmore slipping to 9. He is a late faller given some late risers and apparently he had some less than stellar workouts.

I doubt he makes it to 10, but it does give credence to the idea that one of these hood players could slip to 10 and the mavs could either cash in by upping the bidding or take a solid player at 10 who can play soon.
Whitmore has "shorter Anthony Bennett" written all over him. Guy with amazing vertical that gets by in college by out-jumping, but is an awful passer, doesn't have any fundamental go to moves, and doesn't seem to have a feel for the game outside being more athletic than the guy defending him?
shack009
AG
Yeah guys like him always scare me. Love the short Anthony Bennett comp.

Maybe he would fit on the mavs though where he is only asked to be a tertiary ball handler, corner shooter, and guard the other team's best guy.

Probably moot because someone will fall in love with the athleticism and draft him before 10.
Guitarsoup
AG
New Athletic draft has Jalen Hood-Schifano going to Mavs at 10.
M.C. Swag
AG
Makes 0 sense. Beyond the fact he's arguably not even a lottery talent, he would have no role with the Mavs and wouldn't address a single need.
Guitarsoup
AG
And I flat out dont want to learn how to spell his stupid name.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

New Athletic draft has Jalen Hood-Schifano going to Mavs at 10.

Has to be related to trade buzz of a team moving up to get JHS. If Mavs take a guard there, it better be Cason or Anthony Black, if he falls.
shack009
AG
In some good news for the Mavs, Kobe Bufkin is flying up boards and has been mocked in front of the Mavs recently. If he goes before 10, Mavs are likely looking at Whitmore or Hendricks.
MW03
AG
I just don't see anyway the 10th pick comes without the Mavs walking away with Capela, Collins, or potentially both.
shack009
AG
MW03 said:

I just don't see anyway the 10th pick comes without the Mavs walking away with Capela, Collins, or potentially both.

Yeah, I'd need to get both players and 15 if Hendricks or Whitmore is available at 10.

So the trade would involve swapping picks, THJ, Bertans, Javale, and probably more salary for Capela and Collins.

If we walk away from the draft with Capela, Collins, and either Cason, Coulibaly, or Leonard Miller, we should be ecstatic.
Lake08
Need to get Kuzma. Mavs are wasting Luka.
shack009
AG
Lake08 said:

Would be pretty expensive. He just declined a $13 million option so we are talking 4 years for about $100 million.

It would probably have to be a S&T so we would likely have to give up the 10th pick and not get a pick back. I'm out on that. We need to be selecting a player in the top 20-25 picks of this draft.
mavsfan4ever
AG
There is no way we can walk away with both Collins and Capela in my opinion. Just from a roster building perspective, we can't pay that much money to two Centers who are not all stars and who can't really even play together.
Lake08
shack009 said:

Lake08 said:

Would be pretty expensive. He just declined a $13 million option so we are talking 4 years for about $100 million.

It would probably have to be a S&T so we would likely have to give up the 10th pick and not get a pick back. I'm out on that. We need to be selecting a player in the top 20-25 picks of this draft.

The mavs need to be in on every UFA
shack009
AG
Lake08 said:

shack009 said:

Lake08 said:

The mavs need to be in on every UFA

I agree, in theory, but the Mavs also need to be smart with cap space. People are really sounding the alarm bells with this second apron salary cap stuff. If you are in the second apron, it's basically impossible to improve your team for the foreseeable future. Mavs would almost certainly be in that if they get in the Kuzma business.

This team needs to be making draft picks whenever possible to have rotation players who are affordable, and can't be giving large contracts to guys like Kuzma. Does Kuzma being this team's third best player really make us a contender? I don't think so.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.