***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

144,762 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by M.C. Swag
shack009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mavs end the half with a giant run capped by a Luka defensive rebound and throw ahead to Reggie who collects the ball under the basket and finds Kyrie in the corner for a 3 with 0.1 seconds left.

Somehow the mavs lead 64-62 after Terence Davis and Trey Lyles carried Sacramento to a 60-47 lead.
shack009
AG
Luka and Kyrie +19 on the floor together.
shack009
AG
shack009
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Well that blows, right along with the end of this game. What a free agent dead zone
Grapesoda2525
shack009 said:

I'm confused, aren't they getting Jackson?

****ing bull***** I'm rooting against the suns now at all costs.
MW03
AG
Jackson is going to Denver now
shack009
AG

Ross signed too early… Frank and Theo got a good amount of minutes last night and were not good.
PatAg
AG
shack009 said:

Ross signed too early… Frank and Theo got a good amount of minutes last night and were not good.
you watch any games before last night? Pinson played well in those
Terrance Ross is not some amazing player we missed out on, its just bench depth
Grapesoda2525
PatAg said:

shack009 said:

I think fans are just sick of other teams out recruiting the mavs. Seems like the mavericks only get players by either drafting or trading for them. It's getting old.
PatAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

PatAg said:

shack009 said:

I think fans are just sick of other teams out recruiting the mavs. Seems like the mavericks only get players by either drafting or trading for them. It's getting old.
Think they would be used to it by now.
zgolfz85
AG
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35652757/sources-justin-holiday-sign-mavericks-buyout
Legal Custodian
AG
Here outside the AAC. Haven't watched a Mavs game live since spring off 2011.

It is a freaking party vibe here tonight! I'm at Hero in victory park and everyone walking by is ready to go. Drinks are flowing, haven't felt this type of vibe at a sporting event in a while
Zachary Klement
AG
gigem1223
Can he play defense? Absolutely awful display of it so far tonight.
zgolfz85
AG
Welp, this is quite the laid egg tonight. This is disgusting
Guitarsoup
AG
gigem1223 said:

Can he play defense? Absolutely awful display of it so far tonight.
Not in 5 or more years.
zgolfz85
AG
That ending
JW
AG
it's like starting the season all over again.
Legal Custodian
AG
Crowd was engaged the entire game, but it got pretty rowdy in the 4th quarter. Made it a game and Kyrie went off.
zgolfz85
AG
was a great run, but I don't understand how we didn't have a play ready at the end. that was maybe the worst game ending sequence for the mavs I can recall in any basketball game
shack009
AG
zgolfz85 said:

was a great run, but I don't understand how we didn't have a play ready at the end. that was maybe the worst game ending sequence for the mavs I can recall in any basketball game

I believe the explanation was that the inbounds play was for Luka to get a quick 2. But they had Pinson inbounding who threw a weak pass and Luka kinda allowed the defender to get to the ball and poke it in to the backcourt. So then it was a scramble to get a 3.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

zgolfz85 said:

I believe the explanation was that the inbounds play was for Luka to get a quick 2. But they had Pinson inbounding who threw a weak pass and Luka kinda allowed the defender to get to the ball and poke it in to the backcourt. So then it was a scramble to get a 3.
I can see that, but like....ya gotta at least hoist up a shot at some point. instead, we just played patty cake passing back between luka and kyrie and then a lazy pass into a crowded lane. loved the fight up until that point, but all for not unfortunately. good signs though
shack009
AG
zgolfz85 said:

shack009 said:

zgolfz85 said:

I can see that, but like....ya gotta at least hoist up a shot at some point. instead, we just played paddy cake passing back between luka and kyrie and then a lazy pass into a crowded lane. loved the fight up until that point, but all for not unfortunately. good signs though

Yes, and both Luka and Kyrie said as much. But Ant and McDaniels are long players and did a good job defending us. We still have plenty of reason for optimism.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

zgolfz85 said:

shack009 said:

zgolfz85 said:

I can see that, but like....ya gotta at least hoist up a shot at some point. instead, we just played paddy cake passing back between luka and kyrie and then a lazy pass into a crowded lane. loved the fight up until that point, but all for not unfortunately. good signs though

Yes, and both Luka and Kyrie said as much. But Ant and McDaniels are long players and did a good job defending us. We still have plenty of reason for optimism.
indeed...that 4th quarter kyrie is a guy we've needed for so long. someone who can take over from luka and keep the ball moving or generate points off iso when luka's shot isn't falling.....or when luka is looking lazy like he did for a lot of the game last night
Legal Custodian
AG
zgolfz85 said:

The tip on the inbounds I think disrupted play. Knocked 6 seconds off the clock before Luka had it in the front court.

Kidd should have called a timeout with about 5-6 seconds left when neither Luka or Kyrie had a good look yet. Then set up a true inbounds play.
zgolfz85
AG
yep, I think we had 2 TOs left if memory serves
shack009
AG
I don't mind not calling a TO when we were scrambling. You expect Luka and Kyrie will figure out how to get a good shot and you let them work it out. I think last night was a 1 out of 10 occurrence.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea, we never get good shots late in the game off of a timeout/inbounds pass. Kidd has to be the worst coach int he league at that scenario. We either don't get a shot off at all or can only manage a step back 30 foot 3 pointer. It's cost us multiple games this year. So I definitely wouldn't want to call a timeout (although that's probably a smart move for most teams.
shack009
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Yea, we never get good shots late in the game off of a timeout/inbounds pass. Kidd has to be the worst coach int he league at that scenario. We either don't get a shot off at all or can only manage a step back 30 foot 3 pointer. It's cost us multiple games this year. So I definitely wouldn't want to call a timeout (although that's probably a smart move for most teams.
Not sure how much is on Kidd vs Luka. The play is always to get Luka in a good 1 on 1 matchup and Luka usually decides to take a step back or long 3.

It looks great when it's in Reggie Jackson's face in the bubble or he makes the leaner against Memphis last year. It only looks bad when it doesn't go in.
zgolfz85
AG
yeah, but as a HC, you should have the ability to control what your star player is doing in that scenario, no matter how big the star. the play shouldn't just be let's trust Luka no matter what and I don't think Luka is uncoachable to the point where he wouldn't serve as a decoy or have a set play with multiple shooter options depending on the defense
mavsfan4ever
AG
I put it at close to 50/50. Maybe 60% on Kidd and 40% on Luka.

Kidd seems to be awful at drawing up plays to put the players in good positions. the "play" just seems to be get the ball to luka, no matter where he is on the court (even if he is in a spot where he can easily be guarded/trapped). And then nothing else. And I also agree that Kidd should be able to get through to Luka that step back 3s are not what we want.

But at the same time, Luka always settles for step back 3s. He's gotta know that those are low percentage shots and can't keep settling. If Kidd gets him in a 1 on 1 position and he settles for a step back 3 instead of driving, then I have a hard time putting that on Kidd.
South Platte
Last year our PPG vs. OPPG split was 108 to 104. This year it's 113 to 112. There are 2 teams in the NBA that have a OPPG less than 110. What gives? Everybody sick of playing defense? Come on Sweeney ....

We just out here giving up 128 and 133 to flippin Kings and T-Wolves.
MW03
AG
The end of that game was odd. Honestly, I think it was a product of Luka trying to be deferential to Kyrie and vice versa. That's just them needing to figure out how it fits.

Watch this after the Kings game

Now watch the last possession

dave94
AG
The bench players look really bad tonight

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.